Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 12:08 pm

Post subject: Treva Enchanted
AgePosted: 2015-Apr-14 5:24 am 

A deck centered around life gain and pillow forting. I think the biggest problem with the deck is it just tries to do too much without success. Here's the list.

Commander
Treva, the Renewer

Enchantments
1x Armadillo Cloak
1x Arrest
1x Cathars' Crusade
1x Collective Blessing
1x Conjured Currency
1x Control Magic
1x Ethereal Armor
1x Frozen AEther
1x Future Sight
1x Knighthood
1x Levitation
1x Lightmine Field
1x Market Festival
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Primal Rage
1x Quest for Renewal
1x Reverence
1x Serra's Blessing
1x Soothsaying
1x Sphere of Safety
1x True Conviction
1x Unflinching Courage

Creatures
1x Acidic Slime
1x Archaeomancer
1x Diluvian Primordial
1x Drumhunter
1x Elgaud Shieldmate
1x Essence Warden
1x Fathom Mage
1x Graceful Adept
1x Horizon Chimera
1x Karametra's Acolyte
1x Master Thief
1x Mold Adder
1x Prophet of Kruphix
1x Rampaging Baloths
1x Selesnya Guildmage
1x Seraph of the Sword
1x Skyward Eye Prophets
1x Soul Seizer
1x Stormtide Leviathan
1x Sturmgeist

Spells
1x Angelsong
1x Assert Authority
1x Blustersquall
1x Counterspell
1x Defend the Hearth
1x Fog
1x Heroes' Reunion
1x Hysterical Blindness
1x Negate
1x Predator's Rapport
1x Render Silent
1x Riot Control
1x Safe Passage
1x Plea for Guidance
1x Recollect
1x Terminus
1x Tidings

Lands
1x Alchemist's Refuge
1x Azorius Chancery
1x Azorius Guildgate
1x Command Tower
1x Elfhame Palace
5x Forest
1x Gavony Township
1x Halimar Depths
5x Island
1x Opal Palace
6x Plains
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Sejiri Refuge
1x Selesnya Guildgate
1x Selesnya Sanctuary
1x Simic Guildgate
1x Sunpetal Grove
1x Temple of Mystery
1x Temple of the False God
1x Thespian's Stage

Artifacts
1x Azorius Keyrune
1x Darksteel Ingot
1x Selesnya Keyrune
1x Sol Ring
1x Staff of the Mind Magus
1x Staff of the Wild Magus
1x Vessel of Endless Rest

The deck doesn't really do well all that often. It's my only deck, too, so there's that. It's a small town with no LGS so there's really no meta. There's only half a dozen players in the group, most of whom play modded precons. There are, in fact, several cards I'm looking for with the intent of improving the deck, such as Archetype of Imagination and Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant but nobody in the group has copies of either.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Treva Enchanted
AgePosted: 2015-Apr-14 3:33 pm 

Welcome to the EDH boards!

First things first - life gain is bad. Or more specifically, life gain that does nothing else is weak, and you have no way to utilize the fact that you're gaining it. For example, if you were in black, you could use cards like Necropotence, Greed or Erebos, God of the Dead to draw cards with that life. You're not in black, of course, so we'll need to find some on-color ways to care.

Also, you only have 33 land, and that's not enough. That number should be closer to 38-40 to reliably cast stuff.

Some things that would be neat for you;
Felidar Sovereign / Test of Endurance / Celestial Convergence - These 3 will draw the ire of many a player, but they're certainly effective. In an environment full of mainly modded pre-cons, this may be pushing the limits.
Archangel of Thune - gain life = bigger dudes
Ageless Entity - This guy is hilarious when equipped or enchanted with sources of lifelink and preferably trample, such as....
Loxodon Warhammer / Behemoth Sledge - Yes, I know you have Armadillo Cloak and Unflinching Courage, but these are worth it too.
Ajani's Pridemate - Kinda weak, but on-theme.
Cradle of Vitality - Lifegain = BIG DUDES!
Well of Lost Dreams - Lifegain = CARDS!
Drogskol Reaver - Lifegain = cards. Also gains life. Twice.
Sunbond - Turn any creature into Ageless Entity.

That's 9 cards (12 if you count the alternate win-cons, but lets forgo those for now) and you should really add about 6 land, so you need to cut 15 cards. I suggest;
Market Festival - Replaced with land
Conjured Currency - Unless you're just looking to troll people, not good
Predator's Rapport - Pure lifegain = bad
Hysterical Blindness - Weak
Heroe's Reunion - Pure lifegain = bad
Serra's Blessing - The "all your stuff has" enchantments seem nice, but your creature count isn't very high, which makes these kinda meh.
Knighthood
Primal Rage
Quest for Renewal
Ethereal Armor - It's a nice buff for an enchantress-type deck... which this really isn't.
Levitation
Reverence - My experience is that people don't swing with 1/1s... until they play Overrun or Craterhoof first.
Blustersquall - Weak
Staff of the Mind Magus - Very weak
Staff of the Wild Magus - Very weak

So that's my thoughts on how you might power your list up a bit. You have some creatures I think are on the weak side, but from the sound of it, they're probably OK for your current group. The changes I suggest will have you attacking a bit more often, and using the life you gain for doing so to stay alive. If you abandon the pillowfort a bit more, you can find room for other neat things, like Path of Bravery or Windbrisk Raptor, perhaps Wingmate Roc.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-14 3:47 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Welcome to the EDH boards!

First things first - life gain is bad. Or more specifically, life gain that does nothing else is weak, and you have no way to utilize the fact that you're gaining it. For example, if you were in black, you could use cards like Necropotence, Greed or Erebos, God of the Dead to draw cards with that life. You're not in black, of course, so we'll need to find some on-color ways to care.

Also, you only have 33 land, and that's not enough. That number should be closer to 38-40 to reliably cast stuff.

Some things that would be neat for you;
Felidar Sovereign / Test of Endurance / Celestial Convergence - These 3 will draw the ire of many a player, but they're certainly effective. In an environment full of mainly modded pre-cons, this may be pushing the limits.
Archangel of Thune - gain life = bigger dudes
Ageless Entity - This guy is hilarious when equipped or enchanted with sources of lifelink and preferably trample, such as....
Loxodon Warhammer / Behemoth Sledge - Yes, I know you have Armadillo Cloak and Unflinching Courage, but these are worth it too.
Ajani's Pridemate - Kinda weak, but on-theme.
Cradle of Vitality - Lifegain = BIG DUDES!
Well of Lost Dreams - Lifegain = CARDS!
Drogskol Reaver - Lifegain = cards. Also gains life. Twice.
Sunbond - Turn any creature into Ageless Entity.

That's 9 cards (12 if you count the alternate win-cons, but lets forgo those for now) and you should really add about 6 land, so you need to cut 15 cards. I suggest;
Market Festival - Replaced with land
Conjured Currency - Unless you're just looking to troll people, not good
Predator's Rapport - Pure lifegain = bad
Hysterical Blindness - Weak
Heroe's Reunion - Pure lifegain = bad
Serra's Blessing - The "all your stuff has" enchantments seem nice, but your creature count isn't very high, which makes these kinda meh.
Knighthood
Primal Rage
Quest for Renewal
Ethereal Armor - It's a nice buff for an enchantress-type deck... which this really isn't.
Levitation
Reverence - My experience is that people don't swing with 1/1s... until they play Overrun or Craterhoof first.
Blustersquall - Weak
Staff of the Mind Magus - Very weak
Staff of the Wild Magus - Very weak

So that's my thoughts on how you might power your list up a bit. You have some creatures I think are on the weak side, but from the sound of it, they're probably OK for your current group. The changes I suggest will have you attacking a bit more often, and using the life you gain for doing so to stay alive. If you abandon the pillowfort a bit more, you can find room for other neat things, like Path of Bravery or Windbrisk Raptor, perhaps Wingmate Roc.

The only cards suggested that I have are Cradle of Vitality and the sledge. I forgot to mention, I'm on a budget. Specifically, a non existent one. If I can't obtain it from the local group, I can't get it period. I'll ask around, though.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-15 12:05 am 

Wolfsbane706 wrote:
The only cards suggested that I have are Cradle of Vitality and the sledge. I forgot to mention, I'm on a budget. Specifically, a non existent one. If I can't obtain it from the local group, I can't get it period. I'll ask around, though.

Without seeing your collection and that of everyone you trade with, it would be pretty hard for me to make more relevant suggestions. Perhaps someday the budget will improve a little.

In the mean time, you can still cut Conjured Currency, the pure lifegain spells, and both staffs (those are your worst cards) for more land and the two things you actually have. Seriously, Cradle of Vitality with the amount of lifegain stuff you're running is a pretty serious threat - you can make something pretty big pretty fast.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-15 9:12 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Wolfsbane706 wrote:

Without seeing your collection and that of everyone you trade with, it would be pretty hard for me to make more relevant suggestions. Perhaps someday the budget will improve a little.

In the mean time, you can still cut Conjured Currency, the pure lifegain spells, and both staffs (those are your worst cards) for more land and the two things you actually have. Seriously, Cradle of Vitality with the amount of lifegain stuff you're running is a pretty serious threat - you can make something pretty big pretty fast.

Forgot again: thanks for the welcome. Also, any recommendations on specific lands to add, or just add basics?

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-16 1:03 am 

Wolfsbane706 wrote:
any recommendations on specific lands to add, or just add basics?

Well, there's tons of good lands out there...
Shocklands are a pretty obvious include if you can find/afford them.
Ditto on the Theros scry lands you don't have yet.

On a more budget-friendly note, Krosan Verge is pretty nice.

For the moment though, I think you'd be fine just upping the basic land count - the goal is simply to draw more land so you can actually play your cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-26 12:42 pm 

Not sure if you noticed it or not, but Drogskol Reaver has a very twitchy synergy with Horizon Chimera. Combine it with Laboratory Maniac and I'll have another win-con.

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-28 4:03 am 

Interesting, I didn't know about this combo.
Be careful though, as neither ability is a "may", you will end up killing yourself if Laboratory Maniac is missing or removed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-28 6:36 am 

lumination wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know about this combo.
Be careful though, as neither ability is a "may", you will end up killing yourself if Laboratory Maniac is missing or removed.

As long as all three combo pieces remain are on the field during my draw step, I should be fine. Horizon Chimera has Flash, so I can easily play the first two pieces on my turn then flash in the third piece at the end of my opponent's turn for the win. Course, this requires actually having the pieces.

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 2:04 pm 

Wolfsbane706 wrote:
Course, this requires actually having the pieces.

An all creature-based infinite combo in a green deck? Surely there's no way you could assemble that! [/sarcasm]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 2:05 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Wolfsbane706 wrote:

An all creature-based infinite combo in a green deck? Surely there's no way you could assemble that! [/sarcasm]

I lack Laboratory Maniac.

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 3:35 pm 

Wolfsbane706 wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Wolfsbane706 wrote:

I lack Laboratory Maniac.

Ah, you mean this in a "don't own the card" sense and not in a "need to have them in play" sense. My mistake.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 3:36 pm 

Yeah, though now that I have a Drogskol Reaver, I can make plans to order one.

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile