Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-18 2:52 pm

Post subject: Jenara, Asura of War revamp
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-07 1:03 am 

It's been a few years since I frequented this forum, as I sort of phased out of playing so much magic. I just moved to another state though, and there's a huge commander group here, which is very exciting!
I've got the one deck left intact, which always used to run very well at home, but it's been years since it was updated and it could definitely use some love.

The goal of this deck has always been to pump out as many tokens and counters as possible, creating impossibly big creatures or a large number of smaller tokens.

Without further adieu, here's the current decklist:

Jenara, Asura of War

Creatures: 24
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Master Biomancer
Giltspire Avenger
Forgotten Ancient
Prophet of Kruphix
Rhys the Redeemed
Archon of Justice
Gilded Drake
Mycoloth
Oracle of Mul Daya
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Angel of Jubilation
Sunblast Angel
Qasali Pridemage
Aven Mindcensor
Vigor
Seedborn Muse
Body Double
Omnath, Locus of Mana
Geist-Honored Monk
Glen Elendra Archmage
Yavimaya Elder
Verdant Force
Academy Rector

Planeswalkers: 3
Garruk Wildspeaker
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Ajani Goldmane

Enchantments: 18
Parallel Lives
Luminarch Ascension
Bear Umbra
Mirari's Wake
Doubling Season
Collective Blessing
Aura Shards
Lightmine Field
Glare of Subdual
Oblivion Ring
Beastmaster Ascension
Privileged Position
Mana Reflection
Land Tax
Wheel of Sun and Moon
True Conviction
Cathars' Crusade
Leyline of Anticipation

Sorceries: 7
Creeping Corrosion
Rite of Replication
Genesis Wave
Wrath of God
Primal Command
Rampant Growth
Kodama's Reach

Instants: 5
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Counterspell
Capsize
Harrow

Artifacts: 5
Sol Ring
Whispersilk Cloak
Lightning Greaves
Caged Sun
Cauldron of Souls

Lands: 37
Simic Growth Chamber
Selesnya Sanctuary
Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
Vivid Grove
Command Tower
Soldevi Excavations
Sunpetal Grove
Windbrisk Heights
Flooded Grove
Gavony Township
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Hinterland Harbor
Wooded Bastion
Opal Palace
7 Island
7 Plains
9 Forest

My meta includes a Sidisi dredge deck, a mono-red artifact mess that likes to lock down with a winter orb, and a few less aggressive decks. Pretty middle of the line, with one real spike amongst us, who can usually be talked down a little.

Last edited by Ziontific on 2015-Apr-11 11:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jenara, Asura of War revamp
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-08 10:32 am 

She lives!

Path to Exile seems like an obvious include, to complement StP and replace Spin into Myth in the spot removal area.

If you're spamming tokens, things like Craterhoof Behemoth and Beastmaster Ascension are strong.

Strength of the Tajuru, maybe?

What's the budget like?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-08 10:44 am 

If the meta has Eldrazi and preators you would think tucking the general and other similar things would be the norm. Sounds like a pretty cutthroat meta (could be wrong I guess).

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-08 11:31 pm 

Budget is a little tight at the moment (I literally JUST moved here and I start my new job tomorrow!) but hopefully I can loosen up next month, so suggest away within reason.

Right - I think honestly my impression was skewed by the one guy who is running the cutthroat decks, but I think he is going to dismantle the mono u, and everyone else seems to be mostly fun. I've only played EDH against all of them twice now - the jin-gitaxias and the red artifact combo were the same person.

I'm totally fine with the house rule on tucking the commander but like...... maybe there should also be an extended ban list on commanders if that's the case... but I'm just the new chick and I'm not trying to be an ass (yet).

Last edited by Ziontific on 2015-Mar-21 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-09 3:09 am 

I have a similar deck, although not using Jenara as its commander.

Glorious Anthem seems a bit underwhelming, and I don't see the point of Lightmine Field in a token deck, but I may be missing something.

Personally, I think flashy enchantments like Collective Blessing or True Conviction have their place here, especially since you're running Academy Rector.
If you want to keep the CMC low, the aforementioned Beastmaster Ascension is a excellent option, as well as the more defensive Spear of Heliod which combines well with your Prophet/Muse.

The deck seems really low on ramp, so I'd run more effects in the vein of Cultivate, Ranger's Path, ...

If you're tight on budget, the latest Duel Decks has some good value for your money, providing two planeswalkers that support your strategy (I heard planeswalkers are pretty good with Doubling Season :wink: ), and a few other cool cards as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-09 2:10 pm 

Your token swarm also has an alarming lack of Elesh Norn.

Why is the Aven Mindcensor on the cut list? Seems like a handy thing to have around.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-10 2:20 am 

I wasn't running praetors on purpose because my previous group didn't run them on principle. I guess now's a good time to bring Elesh in, though.

Lightmine Field interacts with Vigor. That's the only reason it's in. It amuses me.

Thanks for the suggestions, lumination. Some of those seem really solid.

I was only considering cutting the mindcensor because no one seems to play a lot of tutors but I may not have played against these guys enough to make that call yet. :U

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-18 12:09 am 

I updated the deck list.

- Kazandu Tuskcaller
- Luminous Angel
- Druids' Repository
- Glorious Anthem
- Fable of Wolf and Owl
- Spin Into Myth
- Hinder
- Storm Herd

[ Kazandu Tuskcaller was really underwhelming for the amount of mana you had to spend to get it online. Luminous Angel.... sucked. Druids Repository seemed like cool mana fixing off the bat, but I don't spend enough time actually swinging - wins are usually all in one or two turns. Fable of Wolf and Owl seemed to rarely actually work. Spin Into Myth and Hinder cannot target the general under my playgroup's house rules, so, bye. Storm Herd is really expensive, and while fun, has never not been taken out by a counter or a wrath immediately. ]

+ Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
+ Craterhoof Behemoth
+ Collective Blessing
+ Beastmaster Ascension
+ Cultivate
+ Kodama's Reach
+ Harrow
+ Path to Exile

Last edited by Ziontific on 2015-Mar-21 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-20 4:24 am 

I'm brewing a Jenara setup myself, although I think mine is more interested in ability conduction and general control: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17441

I'd highly recommend three cards first off: Chasm Skulker (both counters and tokens), Twilight Drover (can turn excess counters into tokens), and Inspiring Call (not quite out yet, but excellent card draw in this sort of deck, plus saves counter-bearing creatures from Wrath & Co.).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-21 12:16 am 

Ooh - Inspiring Call - that's a hell of a spoiler. And an uncommon too; hopefully I can snag one this weekend. Trying to decide what to take out for it ;-;

- Cathars' Crusade
+ Spear of Heliod

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-21 2:58 pm 

Ziontific wrote:
Ooh - Inspiring Call - that's a hell of a spoiler. And an uncommon too; hopefully I can snag one this weekend. Trying to decide what to take out for it ;-;

- Cathars' Crusade
+ Spear of Heliod

Huh? Wait...taking out Cathars' Crusade? Is it the mana cost, because Spear of Heliod is a glorified Glorious Anthem, basically. The second ability on it just never really works out in Commander, for me at least.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-22 12:06 am 

problem with the crusade is the massive ball ache it causes to keep track of, its just more hassle than it's worth sometimes lol

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-22 12:54 am 

maiden77 wrote:
problem with the crusade is the massive ball ache it causes to keep track of, its just more hassle than it's worth sometimes lol

This always seems like a problem of either not owning enough dice or not attacking people enough (whenever you have that many dice out, you should probably be taking people out of the game). This is just my experience, of course.

How has Mycoloth been doing for you? I always want to see it make 700 tokens, but it just ends up eating removal faster than I eat cake. Wolfbriar Elemental is a favorite replacement here for people. It just scales rather nicely.

Perhaps Archetype of Endurance in place of the Cloak or Greaves?

I've also enjoyed Dragon Throne of Tarkir, which can be used to threaten game much sooner with tokens.

Otherwise, I think my favorite token generator is Giant Adephage, but it might be too costly in CMC for your deck. Natural Order, Defense of the Heart, or Chord of Calling helps me out with that normally. They're a little more cutthroat and certainly expensive additions though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 8:36 am 

I left Cathars' Crusade in - I think I initially read it wrong and I've never actually gotten it out! :shock:

Also, in light of recent rules changes...

- Spear of Heliod
- Oblation

+ Cathars' Crusade
+ Vorel of the Hull Clade

I'm toying with cutting Mycoloth for, basically, the same reason you mentioned. I either dont have anything I want to sac or it eats shit immediately.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 8:52 am 

I had the same experience with my Vorel deck. Mycoloth never had anything on the field he wanted to eat. He's much happier and better fed in my SaproRith deck.

Offline Profile