Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-24 12:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rules Committee Should Disband
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 4:10 am 

I just re-read what I posted and it turns out I can't work and type coherent sentences. And it's been quoted like 3 times!!! Nooooo!!!

zimagic wrote:
I like the cut of your jib, you whipper-snapper!!

Last edited by Ziontific on 2015-Mar-24 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 4:13 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Thanks for the tangential vote of confidence Joz, but what you're proposing would turn the EDH RC into the US House of Representatives. And if you think THAT'S an effective governing body...

There are inherit problems with the US goverment - size, scope, money.

But arguably, at least they get some stuff done.

There is no such thing as a perfect system because humans are imperfect - and can not be perfect, ever. A solution that improves, is a valuable solution - and hence why I would be a terrible candidate.

Free Education, Free Healthcare, Court Reforms, Wellfare Reform, Gun Law Reform, IP Law Reform, TV Law Reforms, Prophet of Kuphrix Law Reforms.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 4:43 am 

I am curious: What budget/power level is the banned list aimed at?

It's obviously not the high end, since sol ring/mana crypt/vault are legal. It becomes incredibly degenerate since people don't have the consistent disruption required to stop all these silly things, especially in multiplayer, so everyone goes for linear, noninteractive strategies.

It's probably not the middle of the pack. The decks aren't quite as busted, but the level of disruption is also much lower. Plus, there are still inexpensive cards and decks that can just take over a game, like prophet.

That leaves the low end. Why are we catering to these people? If you ban the stupidly busted cards, these people are barely affected.

So, rules committee. To whom are you catering?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 4:44 am 

Joz is either in full-on troll mode or has lost his mind. It's kind of tough to tell which.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 4:47 am 

mage24365 wrote:
I am curious: What budget/power level is the banned list aimed at?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12254

It's not """aimed at""" a particular budget or power level. There are a myriad of factors that influence the decision to ban a card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 5:13 am 

ToBeFrank wrote:
Normally I don't support the lunatic fringe but when I know that the only reason Rafiq of the Many isn't banned as a commander (despite being freaking insane) is someone on the rules committee plays him there is some validity to this notion.

Can you cite any legitimate sources for that accusation? Or shall we all get the tinfoil hats out?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 5:16 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Joz is either in full-on troll mode or has lost his mind. It's kind of tough to tell which.

Can it not be both?
Joz wrote:
But arguably, at least they get some stuff done.

If by "stuff" you mean corruption, lies, infighting and time-wasting... yes they get lots of stuff done. Not that I am bitter.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 5:25 am 

I think this rules change has enraged me to the point were I've lost all coherency of self-cohesion and mental stability.

Would anyone here vote for me if I ran for the United States Presidency?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 5:29 am 

Joz wrote:
Would anyone here vote for me if I ran for the United States Presidency?

Not even the president can ban Kruphix, man.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 5:30 am 

Are... Are you Ted Cruz?

No, that's not fair...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 5:51 am 

This thread should disband!

To OP: Please stop. The RC are doing fine. Do I wish some stuff would hit the banned list? Sure.
The RC are not going anywhere (except to their LGS for some epic games!) and nor should they.

Moving on...

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 6:01 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Are... Are you Ted Cruz?

No, that's not fair...

I got a good laugh out of that one. Well played.

Ziontific wrote:
I just re-read what I posted and it turns out I can't work and type coherent sentences. And it's been quoted like 3 times!!! Nooooo!!!

At least we knew what you meant.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 6:11 am 

I have been playing EDH/Commander for quite sometime, and would love to play against the RC to see what they actually play for the format. From the sounds of it the top plays are nothing more than grizzly bears and vanilla commanders. This "social agreement" is total garbage. The format is open to a competitive nature and to some people thats whats fum about MTG playing your best against theirs and seeing who can foil who's plans first. I play fairly competitive Commanders and have Maelstrom, Derevi, and Prossh. However I have plenty of non degenerate commanders as well such as Ruric Thar or Mirko Vosk. These decks all deal with tuck and are able to hold their own against degenerate commanders. The trick is good deck construction. If people cant handle tucking because it ruins their strategy and they cant play the game anymore, then perhaps they need to re-evaluate their deck design.

The reasons for stopping tucking are what have me upset. The RC give a reason why cards like deadeye and prophet arent banned, but those are part of the same reason as to why tuck has been banned. Perhaps the RC is already directly involved with our government, with as much sense as their decision making logic actually makes. If you are going to stand by a reason to not ban something that is the biggest fun suck in EDH, they should not use those same reasons to quantify the banning of a practice in the format either. I agree that the RC should rotate members or have a more diverse council of people. They seem very hive minded for their decisions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 6:25 am 

I'm not a fan of the recent rules change, and I think the RC should stop eating bad shrooms right before making decisions, but this thread is beyond absurd. The RC (even on Shrooms) is still a much better choice to control this format then WoTC.
WoTC are the ones who printed the absurdly overpowered commanders that made people play Tuck in the first place... which is made far worse when you realize many of the worst offenders were printed in commander precons, which means they were designed specifically with commander in mind. WoTC has very little idea what makes people love commander, and anyone who wants them in charge is smoking even more shrooms then the RC.

EDIT:
ToBeFrank wrote:
Normally I don't support the lunatic fringe but when I know that the only reason Rafiq of the Many isn't banned as a commander (despite being freaking insane) is someone on the rules committee plays him there is some validity to this notion.

That's both absurdly paranoid and just plain silly. Rafiq simply isn't close to warranting a ban. All he is an efficient Voltron commander. He has no protection from any kind of removal, and all he does is attack. He's not even the most obnoxious Bant commander. Hell, he's arguably not even the #2 most obnoxious Bant commander.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Last edited by kaldare on 2015-Mar-24 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 6:27 am 

Daramath wrote:
This "social agreement" is total garbage. The format is open to a competitive nature and to some people thats whats fum about MTG playing your best against theirs and seeing who can foil who's plans first.

That's the social contract in action. If everybody is having fun playing super cutthroat, there is nothing wrong with that. The problems crop up when a mix of hardcore and casual decks are in the same game.

All the RC does is establish a baseline of what people can expect. "Nothing will take your commander away forever" is a pretty reasonable baseline.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next