Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 7:22 pm

Post subject: What should I do with this deck skeleton? GUx lands
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 7:57 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Okay, so, the other day I was brewing my Borborygmos Enraged deck a bit and I rediscovered Scouting Trek. I felt a sudden, instinctual need to cast it and Treasure Hunt in the same turn, and this deck skeleton started automatically percolating in my brain. The problem is, I'm not sure how to flesh it out, or which commander to pick for it. If I could add blue to my Borb list, or green to my Melek, it would be perfect, but here's what I have so far:

Scouting Trek, Lodestone Bauble
Treasure Hunt, Clear the Land, Mulch, Merfolk Wayfinder
Oracle of Mul Daya, Courser of Kruphix, Future Sight
Coiling Oracle, Explorer's Scope, Druidic Satchel
Predict, Life from the Loam
Pedantic Learning, Trade Routes
Brainstorm, Scroll Rack
Nantuko Cultivator, Flux, Nostalgic Dreams

Red gives you stuff like Countryside Crusher and Seismic Assault.
Black gives Worm Harvest.
White gives Planar Birth.

Basically, the above package gives you a cool foundation of card and mana advantage, but I dunno what to build on top of it. It requires too many basics for a Child of Alara 43 Land type list, and none of the other potential generals with UG colour identities jumped out at me. Any ideas?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What should I do with this deck skeleton? GUx lands
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 8:01 am 

Did you consider Maelstrom Wanderer?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 8:12 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Yeah, he's a frontrunner at the moment. Cascade is pretty neat with Scouting Trek, since it can act as a makeshift Mana Severance (at least until I shuffle) if I don't want to draw any more basics and I have no other interesting cards to use on a stacked deck. Cascading into stuff like Explorer's Scope and Lodestone Bauble seems very awkward, though, and I still dunno what else to pack the deck with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 12:15 pm 

I run a Sliver Overlord lands deck. I forget the exact count, but it's around 65 lands. It runs Loam and Trade Routes and ONS cycling lands as the primary draw engine. It's basically a control deck that runs just a few threats like:
Terravore
Nantuko Cultivator
Glint-eye Nephilim
Consuming Aberration (very good when you are in a Loam loop)
Borborygmos Enraged
Debt to the Deathless

The rest of the deck is stuff like Mercurial Chemister, Bringer of the Blue Dawn, Treasured Find, Etched Oracle, and a bunch of removal.

Most games end with a giant Debt or by playing Bobo with Trade Routes, and Bolting everyone to death. (People tend to kill the "fair" threats like 20/20 tramples for 1GG or 50/50s for 3UB.) Sounds pretty dry but it's actually a lot of fun navigating the game to that point.

Pedantic Learning doesn't really fit in there, but I did just put it into my Sidisi deck. I think this is the first time I've actually built a deck where I felt like that card belonged since I opened a pair of them back when Odyssey was new. I'm super excited to try it out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 4:34 pm 

There aren't any generals in these colors that jump out to me for this idea except perhaps Riku or Maelstrom Wanderer. Neither are as relevant to the deck overall as I would like, but Wanderer does what already got meantioned, while Riku can give extras of your landgrabbing spells and copy particularly scary threats like Countryside Crusher.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 10:14 pm 

Honestly, my first thought is do you need Treasure Hunt and Blue?

I know that was the spark of inspiration, but as a BoBo E deck with your G and R elements and things like Fa'adiyah Seer, Mulch, Rowen, Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant, Scout the Borders, etc and Red suite of discard/sac lands I think you can get plenty of interactions with Scouting Trek and not need blue or the one trick pony with treasure hunt.

As for specifically using the Scouting Trek/Treasure hunt synergy, I would say go with Momir Vig or Kruphix, God of Horizons. Momir, because though he focuses on creature digging, he will need some land digging/deck thinning shenanigans as a back-up and Kruphix, because she comes with Reliquary Tower built in to receive all those lands, and likes surplus mana to turn colorless

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-10 12:23 am 

I've been kicking the idea of a landfall-focused deck around for a while, and even traded for some potential parts to it, but I haven't gotten around to building it. Have you thought about this? Blue gives you stuff like Roil Elemental and Patron of the Moon, plus stuff like Meloku the Clouded Mirror, which will let you make landfall over and over. Green gives you Avenger of Zendikar, Lotus Cobra, Baloth Woodcrasher and Grazing Gladehart. I think white is a more powerful addition than red (Admonition Angel, Emeria Angel), but red gives you Angry Borby, which is pretty much the best reason to be casting Scouting Trek into Treasure Hunt.

As far as generals go, I'd have to say Riku would be the choice for this one.

EDIT: Crucible of Worlds and perhaps Amulet of Vigor would be nice in this shell too.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-30 6:21 am 

You could consider Manabond...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-12 7:07 am 

Scouting Trek + Lost in the Woods. The ultimate pillow fort.

Maybe Relearn-type effects to reset the Forests on your deck when you need to?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-12 11:38 pm 

I think Titania, Protector of Argoth could help as a value engine. Also, if you decide to go the landfall route, I'd recommend Parallax Tide. This idea hit me some time ago - in a landfall deck, Tide basically translates to:

"At the beginning of your next upkeep, sacrifice Parallax Tide, trigger landfall five times and untap up to five lands you control."

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-13 6:43 pm 

Antis wrote:
I think Titania, Protector of Argoth could help as a value engine. Also, if you decide to go the landfall route, I'd recommend Parallax Tide. This idea hit me some time ago - in a landfall deck, Tide basically translates to:

"At the beginning of your next upkeep, sacrifice Parallax Tide, trigger landfall five times and untap up to five lands you control."

I guess if you have a lot of mana to use during upkeep that would be good, otherwise, wouldn't it read "2UU: Sacrifice Parallax Tide, trigger landfall five times and untap up to five lands you control."

And since you are already in Blue, adding:

Cache Raiders or Riptide Chimera =
"At the beginning of your next upkeep, return Parallax Tide to your hand and trigger landfall four time times. Untap up to four lands you control."

Or adding Dream Stalker or Drake Familiar =
"During your main phase, return Parallax Tide to your hand and trigger landfall four times times. Untap up to four lands you control."

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-14 1:27 am 

Tide is fading, not vanishing, so you pull all of the counters off of it without having it die until the next time the upkeep trigger resolves. All of those examples work, but are still 5 landfalls/untaps.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-14 4:35 am 

Good techs, Treamayne! Didn't think of those back then. Hmm...cogs turning... :wink:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-25 9:57 am 

Def think the general and rest of the deck depends on your play style. I made a very fun bant deck with the jenara as the general which was land themed. Would play her as an early threat and late game win condition. Then about 10 counter spells, 10 blow up everything, 10 draw, 10 targeted removal, 10 ramp spells, 10 win conditions/land combos, 20 on theme cards and 40 lands. I especially enjoyed how convoluted some of the combos were, but sometimes it meant my turns lasted a little too long as I made multiple effects happen with scrying sheets, the top, fetch lands, burgeoning, and lots of different triggers off of the lands. (Favorite stunt was to put darksteel citidel on prototype portal)

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-23 4:49 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I've got an update. A friend of mine was looking to overhaul his Damia deck, so I donated this concept to him and he ran with it. He brewed it up with a landfall style theme (a natural and tasty extension on the idea). I don't have the list with me, but I'll try to give the key cards off the top of my head. It's a pretty awesome deck, even though it still needs a lot of tuning.

First of all, he did use most (but not all) of the UG cards in the first post (and Worm Harvest turned out to be so good that it deserves more than one passing mention). We also remembered about Intuition, which should be included in any deck working with this theme, since it single-handedly sets up a ton of different high-value engines like LftL+cycling, retrace stuff, Coffers/Urborg, and anything recursion (the best is to use it as an answer-tutor + double-Entomb in response to a threat that a second opponent wants dead).

To support the landfall theme, he obviously included the best landfall cards in his colours (just Roil Elemental, Avenger of Zendikar and Rampaging Baloths, iirc, though he might have Cobra too). As well, all the standard extra-land-drops stuff made the cut (including Manabond :D ) over traditional green ramp (though one or two of the best of those are also in there). Crucible of Worlds was another obvious choice, and some key lands to go with all that are 3 cycling lands, several fetches, Glacial Chasm, Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. He did not include Horn of Greed, which I agreed with after some consideration, since his hand tends to be so full that the Horn helps his opponents more than him even if he is dropping a couple land a turn.

The ballsy centrepieces of the deck, though?
Living Plane and Kormus Bell (+ Urborg)

While he does have a couple of sweepers in the deck (namely Massacre Wurm and Decree of Pain) the idea isn't to build an Armageddon out of creature removal. Mainly, the deck is trying only to set up a bizarre game state that opponents aren't prepared for, then to dominate combat. Sheer numbers of land gives him an advantage there, but he's also using stuff like Akroma's Memorial, Eldrazi Monument, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, Sword of Feast and Famine and (once he finds a copy) Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker to give extra strength, protection and utility to all his 1/1s.
Edit: Oh yeah, also Cursed Totem.

I think that's most of the important stuff. The rest of the deck is filled with non-synergy role-players, such as a sprinkle of efficient removal/counterspells, library manipulation, tutors, recursion, and so on. It's still got a case of that uniquely-EDH problem of "I've got all these cards and land, now what??" and sometimes has trouble actually closing the game, but with some tuning (and practice) I'm expecting it to be really powerful. I'm gonna suggest that he adds Titania, and probably Meloku, to try and fill that hole.

Thanks for all the tech so far, folks. Keep it coming, if you've got more.

Offline Profile