Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:15 am

Post subject: 100% Natural. Disaster.
AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 10:20 am 

Meet the Lady:

Alright, so, another monogreen ramp.dec? YAAAAWN!

Hold your elementals, ma'am and let me explain: I, too, have at first thought I'm building just a "Tucked Azusa" deck - a ramp where Azusa is present in the 99, but is replaced by something vaguely relevant in the command seat.

Oh, how wrong I was!

Titania is her own niche and I've come to appreciate the design job done on her as I went on to actually test her. Funny thing is, I've built this deck shortly after she was spoiled, but before the rest of her deck was. Then, after full spoiler was up, I saw that a lot of cards I've put in myself are actually present in the original product. My ego took that as a sign that I "got it right" and gave the rest of my mind a thumbs-up.

So, what's different here? Simple thing: regular decks ramp to cast big spells and kill with them. Any general can do that, but Tia is special - she adds value to your lands dying. So instead of the regular path, I want to ramp so I can ravage my own lands with various effects and build an army that way. This lets me play a lot of unusual and otherwise bad cards, which is something that always gets me excited for a new deck idea.

This is the one deck where I find it appropriate to start the list with manabase:
Quote:
18x Forest
Yep, only ten fourteen eighteen Forests in a monogreen EDH deck. Let's see the rest:
Quote:
As you can see, a lot of those lands tend to...not last for a terribly long time on the battlefield. I'm especially happy I can finally play Lotus Vale and Scorched Ruins - I've been a fan of these lands for a long time, but usually it's difficult to justify their inclusion in a deck. Usually :wink:

If the lands for whatever reason don't want to die by themselves, we need some...persuasion:
Quote:
SAC OUTLETS (12):
Crop RotationEdge of AutumnGlacial ChasmHarrowKamahl, Fist of KrosaNatural AffinityNatural BalanceNature's RevoltPossessed PortalScapeshiftTerastodonZuran Orb (FEAR THE ORB!!! Ahh, this brings back memories... *wipes a tear of nostalgia*)
I count Kamahl and other land-animating effects as effective sacrifice. I think I don't have to go deeper into that :) All this naturally leads to the need to recur the pieces of the scenery back:
Quote:
Of course, being in green and working with lands, we want to ramp:
Quote:
Some ramp cards, like Harrow, have already been mentioned before, as they serve a beautiful double function in this deck. Next, we need cards. Lots of cards:
Quote:
Add a little support for the army:
Quote:
Finally, let's get rid of some pesky permanents:
Quote:

The basic plan is clear: ramp, cast Titania, sac lands, make tokens, kill. A lot of the cards have a very neat synergy with the Elemental Lady. If I kill three of my own lands with Terastodon, I'm looking at total power 33, divided into 7 creatures. Tectonic Edge and friends are just nuts when they leave a 5/3 body behind. Glacial Chasm just keeps on giving. Concordant Crossroads can make for an on-the-spot kill with the right setup. And with Tia and Nature's Revolt on the board, I DARE anyone to wrath :twisted:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2016-Aug-03 5:11 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 100% Natural. Disaster.
AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 10:48 am 

I think a wave of vitrol (sp?) would be pretty much a requirement in here. And I pretty much put Krosan Grip and Acidic Slime in every green deck as you gotta have some versatile answers.

I see some antigraveyard hate randomly ruining your fun. But beating down with a lot of 5/3s can end a game quick.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 10:57 am 

That deck looks really cool!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 11:52 am 

I think you should trade one of your cute card slots for Harvest Wurm. Maybe Ambush Commander? It seems like animating just your lands during an opponent's turn is asking to get blown out super hard by a removal spell on Titania followed by Wrath.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 12:49 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I think a wave of vitrol (sp?) would be pretty much a requirement in here. And I pretty much put Krosan Grip and Acidic Slime in every green deck as you gotta have some versatile answers.

I see some antigraveyard hate randomly ruining your fun. But beating down with a lot of 5/3s can end a game quick.
Wave is strongly considered. It is, after all, in her deck :) Slime and Grip are in the waiting room for now.
I'm not too concerned about grave hate. As far as I can tell at this point, recursion is nice to have, but is in no way neccessary to win, since Tia's token-making ability is dependent on lands going into the graveyard, not out of it :)
Viperion wrote:
That deck looks really cool!
So far, it plays cool, too!
crokaycete wrote:
I think you should trade one of your cute card slots for Harvest Wurm. Maybe Ambush Commander? It seems like animating just your lands during an opponent's turn is asking to get blown out super hard by a removal spell on Titania followed by Wrath.
It was in, but since then, I've lowered the number of Forests and it begins to show. Ambush Commander, I've yet to test, but the idea is that in this deck, animated lands are all sleeping elementals. At this point, it's hard to tell if that idea'll hold, though.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: My second real game with the deck, a duel against DarksteelElephant's Derevi, documented in our own game thread:
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16764&start=2445

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 1:41 pm 

Read the post - by-post game and she is mean. Got a buddy that is playing Nylea and going to try and convince him to switch as I'd rather get killed this way than another indestructible god.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-02 5:35 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Read the post - by-post game and she is mean. Got a buddy that is playing Nylea and going to try and convince him to switch as I'd rather get killed this way than another indestructible god.
Lol, I believe it's totally in the spirit of EDH to choose how one wants to be killed :)

It needs to be stressed out, though, that I majorly lucked out in that game. The more I look at it, the more I relize I pretty much got a godhand, while DE couldn't do anything with the cards he got.

He did point one thing out to me, though. So far, I've been thinking about Titania as an aggro deck, but he labeled it a combo deck one of the first things in the game. There's something to it, I must say.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-06 6:17 am 

I am just glad she is monogreen. Imagine a world in which she is legal with Knight of the Reliquary!

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-06 2:23 pm 

@DE that would be a nasty deck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-06 3:42 pm 

Hell, if she was in naya then we would all be screwed. Red has so much land sacrifice, and it and white have a lot of mass land destruction, she would just be brutal. Dropping her then armageddon is a scary thought indeed.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-06 9:12 pm 

DarksteelElephant wrote:
Hell, if she was in naya then we would all be screwed. Red has so much land sacrifice, and it and white have a lot of mass land destruction, she would just be brutal. Dropping her then armageddon is a scary thought indeed.
I think I managed to get the critical mass of land sac even without red, thank you :) And yes, 'Geddon would be nice and I'm testing Nature's Revolt for that. As I've written in the OP, with Titania and Revolt on the table, I DARE you to wrath. And I'll savor that first moment I'll respond to a wrath with Natural Affinity :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-06 11:02 pm 

Antis wrote:
DarksteelElephant wrote:
I think I managed to get the critical mass of land sac even without red, thank you :) And yes, 'Geddon would be nice and I'm testing Nature's Revolt for that. As I've written in the OP, with Titania and Revolt on the table, I DARE you to wrath. And I'll savor that first moment I'll respond to a wrath with Natural Affinity :twisted:

Okay-->Planar Cleansing. :P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-07 1:10 am 

Segrus wrote:
Not 100% sure what you mean here...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-07 1:22 am 

Planar Cleansing won't hit land-creatures. Just regular creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-07 1:52 am 

Ok, so? In that case wrath gets done and takes the Revolt with it. Just like normal wrath without the revolt. Standard stuff :)

Offline Profile