Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-13 7:44 am

Post subject: Fumiko holds her ground
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-06 7:22 pm 

(Alternate title for Conspiracy 2: Goading people before before it was cool)
Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician wrote:
Everybody but me-CHARGE!!!
Nothing captures this deck's strategy better than this quip from everyone's favourite skillful Goblin. Shame he didn't make the list, really...
Anyway, this, and I want to stress this, weird deck is a result of a train of thoughts of mine that maybe went like this:
Train of Thoughts wrote:
"Hey! I have fun running Goblin Diplomats in Nin." :arrow: "What general could take a whole deck in that direction?" :arrow: "Ok, Fumiko, it is!" :arrow: "Now I need to protect myself from those attacks, ideally making opponents want to attack each other instead of me." :arrow: "Got it! WALL TRIBAL! I'm such a genius!" "Yes, you are." "Who said that?" "Oh, no one. Certainly not your other self that hasn't materialized in a distant corner of your mind, because you're not crazy." "Oh. OK then."
Ravings of a madman aside, I went with the idea and ended up a political deck like nothing I've ever built. So fasten the seatbelts of your crash test dummies, 'cause this train is hitting a WALL! Time for monored fort, baby! Literal one. Pillows are for pussies.
Commander wrote:
Loving husband wrote:
Godo, Bandit Warlord (always bringing presents for her)
Wedding gift wrote:
Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho (pried from the samurai general's cold, dead hands)
Thing #1: Backup for our general. In this case, making people turn their guys sideways:
Quote:
Thing #2: Persuade them that they don't want to attack you:
Subthing #2.1: Walls:
Quote:
That's the tribal part of the deck. Not much to choose from, really, this is almost all Wall-type creatures that exist in this identity. But hey, you work with what you have. Even the weaker Walls are able to deter attackers from me, especially at the beginning of the game. And the better ones can actually kill the attacker or have some useful ability (Wall of Lava, Battle Rampart).
Subthing #2.2: Non-Wall don't-hit-mes:
Quote:
Thing #3: With everyone (hopefully) attacking, it's time for some politics. Red way, of course:
Quote:
Thing #4: Control:
Quote:
Thing #5: Card advantage:
Quote:
Two manarocks and Vent Sentinel:
Quote:
Two manarocks and Vent Sentinel:
Dreamstone HedronRuby Medallion
And finally some rocky rocks:
Quote:
Lands not named Rogue's Passage:
DesertForbidden OrchardMishra's FactoryUrza's Factory
30x Mountain

So, to recap, STEP 1: put up the defense, STEP 2: play Fumiko, STEP 3: watch the world burn. Easy, ya? (sorry, been playing FF X lately :D )
Of course, I have plethora of cards I would like to try out in reserve, so any recommendations concerning cutting cards will be appreciated. Thanks and until next time, may you have fun forcing people to grind their face into a block of solid stone. Or lava. Or opposition, whatever that means. You get the idea.

Antis out.
P.S. wrote:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2016-Sep-10 5:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fumiko holds her ground
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-07 2:43 am 

:lol: Bravo!! Bravo!! More!! MORE! MOAR!!!!

Not a huge fan of walls, I'd have been more impressed with a version that went full on 'roid rage with Avatar of Slaughter and stuff but the presentation is top notch! Well done.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-07 3:45 am 

Thank you kindly, dear sir :)

I found out I like this form, separate the deck into groups of cards with similar function and write a short introduction for each one separately, put the cards into spoiler tags to make the post shorter visually and emphasize them at the same time. It's good to have some comments on that, too. Takes time to make, you know? :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 12:56 pm 

This was a fun deck to play against, which is rare to say in a 1v1 match. I say Bravo!

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 11:08 pm 

I would replace Slumbering Dragon with Akroan Horse. Slumbering Dragon looks like it should be so good. I've tried putting it into so many different decks, but it always falls short. There's just too many ways to Voltron past the Dragon and make it worthless.

Akroan Horse, on the other hand, acts as a second Varchild while also granting you some extra blockers. This will always have an impact on the board.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-10 12:24 am 

Akroan Horse is ceratinly high on my maybe list. I haven't drawn into the Dragon so far, but I see your point. I think I'll leave it in for now, until I actually get to feel it for myself. Theory is, Fumiko may help to wake him up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-06 9:15 am 

...And continuing my thread revival streak is...Fumiko! :)

As with Evershrike, after nearly a year, I finally got to make a paper version of this silliness. So far I've defeated a very casual Radha deck three times in a row. Not much yet, but I was pleased this deck can actually win a duel. Unlike the OP here, the paper version has all the "You-must-attack" cards I have found. Backup for Fumi is important. I'll update the list when I have more time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 5:17 am 

UPDATE 9/10/2016:

Antis used NECROMANCY!
Fumiko thread rose from the dead!

Okay, so this is another of my recent-ish revivals with updates, and this time, Walls matter. I basically removed some crap I don't own and put in more control and some card advantage (that needs more work, though).

I still have some cards that need to go in (Slate of Ancestry, Gravity Sphere) but this is literally my last deck to upgrade whenever I'm getting new cards, since it's meant to be pure casual and budget, so it may take a while.

Anyway, this deck is fun to play from a certain griefer standpoint. Every time the following conversation takes place, I'm doing my job: "Ok, so that's all, I keep these two dudes home and pass." "Erm, you have to attack with them." "Wha— Why?" "'Cause Antis's general..." "FUUUUCK!" When I'm playing a duel against Marath, he has his general out with five counters, no deathtouch and he just sits there and with a sad face looks at my Wall of Earth equipped with Gorgon Flail, my heart is filled with joy :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 5:54 am 

I had to post to say that when i read "Easy, ya?" i read it Wakka's voice, and then next line was "Sorry, been playing too much FF X lately".

But on topic, i'm surprised you're not using some temporary control+haste spells. They can basically function like spot removal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 6:24 am 

I'd consider Snow-Covered Mountain, Scrying Sheets and Glacial Crevasses.

It's a really cute way to stop unblockable creatures or voltron generals, no one sees it coming.
Rimescale Dragon is another great one that you could pair with that strategy and make it so they don't untap at all

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 9:46 am 

Sovarius wrote:
I had to post to say that when i read "Easy, ya?" i read it Wakka's voice, and then next line was "Sorry, been playing too much FF X lately".

But on topic, i'm surprised you're not using some temporary control+haste spells. They can basically function like spot removal.
High five! :D

Once I decided it's a tribal deck, those cards look like luxury I don't have space for. I'm considering putting Insurrection in there, but that card just may be too dickish. Maybe Molten Primordial and Mass Mutiny, those I'm fond of. And Besmirch, because goad is fun. But first I need to put in some more card draw.

crimsonwings3689 wrote:
I'd consider Snow-Covered Mountain, Scrying Sheets and Glacial Crevasses.

It's a really cute way to stop unblockable creatures or voltron generals, no one sees it coming.
Rimescale Dragon is another great one that you could pair with that strategy and make it so they don't untap at all
Glacial Crevasses... I had no idea this card existed, thanks :) Not sure I need fog effects, though. I mean, the whole point of the deck is to force people to bash each other's faces. When confronted with voltron or unblockable creature, I'd rather nuke the board than sacrifice lands for fogs.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 1:59 pm 

I've got a fair bit of experience with force attack decks and I think the fog effect is boss. I'm a huge fan of Constant Mists if playing G.

The thing with Crevasse is it is entirely in your control and a perfect rattle snake that keeps opponents guessing. If you are the current arch enemy, it won't save you, but no other situation where you are forcing opponents to attack would either, but in situations where there are other equal targets, Crevasse will redirect a lot of attacks effortlessly, won't even need to sac a land.

Then exactly when you look to close out a game like I do in my Xenagos list, 3 lands for 3 fogs in a row where opponents are forced to tap out to attack you (and you get to attack back) is game winning.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 7:28 pm 

Hmm, interesting. Of course, I assume you don't run a bunch of Walls to protect you in Xenagos, do you? ;) The thing is, my Walls serve basically the same role as fogs in your scenario. Crevasse survives wraths, true, but that tends to wipe the would-be attackers, too. That being said, I don't pull this deck out that often, so maybe I'm just inexperienced in this strategy. Thanks for the input! :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-10 7:33 pm 

Well no, I don't play walls, but Xenagos doesn't force people to attack either.

I meant more that the sac land part to fog multiple times and close out games has been invaluable to me.

In your case you get the above AND a back up to your Walls, which also deals with things like Rogue's Passage and any other creature that is unblockable.

Offline Profile