Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-23 3:33 am

Post subject: Faust Macar and Myself
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 1:38 pm 

The idea behind the deck came after remembering the song by Switchfoot, "Faust, Midas, and Myself." King Macar is one of the few legendary creatures I've actually been inspired to build around from Theros, and he luckily is naturally dripping with flavor: a man, a king, seduced by the initially small voice of greed, chooses to wish for a touch of gold--that is, whatever he might touch would immediately and permanently turn into gold. Delighted at his wish being granted, Midas runs to test his gift and finds it true. Unfortunately, his wish prevents him from eating or enjoying anything else in life.

This is compared and contrasted with the story of Faust, who gains unlimited magical power and knowledge at the price of his soul to the Devil. The whole story has been immortalized several times, by Goethe and Marlow, among others. The moral story of a man giving up vital parts of his life or soul for ephemeral gain is a continuous theme in storytelling, and this deck is in a sense attempting to at least reflect the substance of those two stories.

Therefore, there are some basic rules for the deck:
1.) The only creatures allowed in the deck are demons and King Macar.
2.) Artifacts are to take preference over other non-creature, non-land card types. The deck doesn't have to consist entirely of artifacts.
3.) Basic Swamps will be represented by creature tokens. They will be painted to appear as if the image has been turned to gold. Permanents other than enchantments and creatures will be painted similarly.

Commander:
1x King Macar, the Gold-Cursed

Creatures: (7)
1x Archfiend of Depravity
1x Bloodgift Demon
1x Kothophed, Soul Hoarder
1x Lord of the Void
1x Reaper from the Abyss
1x Reiver Demon
1x Rune-Scarred Demon

Enchantments: (4)
1x Greed
1x Leyline of the Void
1x Necropotence
1x Underworld Connection

Instants: (3)
1x Bile Blight
1x Sudden Spoiling
1x Withering Boon

Sorceries: (8)
1x Ambition's Cost
1x Capital Punishment
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Gild
1x Ill-Gotten Gains
1x Increasing Ambition
1x Mutilate
1x Promise of Power

Artifacts: (32)
1x Argentum Armor
1x Caged Sun
1x Coldsteel Heart
1x Commander's Sphere
1x Elbrus, the Binding Blade
1x Fireshrieker
1x Gauntlet of Power
1x Grim Monolith
1x Horn of Greed
1x Leonin Bola
1x Loxodon Warhammer
1x Nightmare Lash
1x Nim Deathmantle
1x Oblivion Stone
1x Paradox Engine
1x Planar Bridge
1x Relic of Progenitus
1x Ring of Xathrid
1x Seer's Sundial
1x Sol Ring
1x Strata Scythe
1x Swiftfoot Boots
1x Sword of the Animist
1x Sword of the Paruns
1x Sword of War and Peace
1x Thousand-Year Elixir
1x Torpor Orb
1x Trailblazer's Boots
1x Umbral Mantle
1x Umezawa's Jitte
1x Viridian Longbow
1x Wayfarer's Bauble

Non-Basic Lands: (13)
1x Arcane Lighthouse
1x Barren Moor
1x Buried Ruin
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Inventors' Fair
1x Mortuary Mire
1x Mystifying Maze
1x Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
1x Strip Mine
1x Thespian's Stage
1x Throne of the High City
1x Vesuva

Basic Land-Tokens: (31)

Further Explanation:
The idea behind the tokens is two-fold: it goes along with Macar's ability to turn creatures into gold which will make the deck stand out the moment you see it--all of the 'basic lands' being gold colored should make everyone kinda lean over to see what's going on; also, it sorta fits the story of Midas. I can see Midas returning to the palace, demonstrating his newfound power by turning a palace fixture into gold. Soon, his curse is revealed as he tries to eat boar and other small animals for food. His court freaks, and he is declared a cursed being who is to be thrown from society to prevent the curse from spreading. In an attempt to escape their wrath, Midas turns several soldiers and common folk to gold. Running into the wilderness, he encounters monsters and other sentient beings who are easily turned to gold. Finally, in desperation, he tries eating plants and rats for food, failing miserably in the end.

Anyway...

A lot of cards are split between supporting a Voltron strategy (although there aren't any of the Swords, since I'm not willing to dig deep into money), and supporting the Midas/Faust theme (such as Ill-Gotten Gains, Hand of Death, Ambition's Cost, and Greed). I don't own either Damnation (damn you FTV: Annihilation) or Chains of Mephistopheles. I'm very unhappy about that, but they're costed at more than I'm willing to pay for.

Besides ensuring the deck is still capable of performing in a casual environment, I'm honestly just interested in other cards which I may have missed in terms of theme. Sever the Bloodline is on my radar as a card I should probably get, along with possible finding Indulgent Tormentor. What do you guys/gals think?

Last edited by Segrus on 2017-Jan-23 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Faust Macar and Myself
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 2:07 pm 

Gild would be very flavorful. It's a decent removal card but worse than Sever the Bloodline. It does fit your deck though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 10:30 pm 

Horn of Greed?
Artifact AND it's named Greed...

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 10:49 pm 

Wolfram wrote:
Gild would be very flavorful. It's a decent removal card but worse than Sever the Bloodline. It does fit your deck though.

I actually don't think I currently own a Gild card, which is why it isn't in here currently. Unfortunately, Gild is worse than Ashes to Ashes, since the Gold token isn't *terribly* useful; that being said, I'll probably make the switch anyway once I have a Gild. Playing into the theme is slightly more important.
Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Horn of Greed?
Artifact AND it's named Greed...

Good catch, although I don't currently own one (I don't think...) and I do have to think of something to come out of the deck. Looking at my other card draw, Underworld Connections seems like the best card to replace with this one. Then again, I do only have 37 land, and I'll also be one of the slowest ramping (since I can't put in Solemn Simulacrum and/or Burnished Hart). It seems dangerous to allow other players to out-draw me. Too dangerous, in fact, to have the card in this list. I think I'll have to pass.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 1:46 am 

It's a damn shame that Aurification and Reparations aren't legal cards to play here.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 2:25 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
It's a damn shame that Aurification and Reparations aren't legal cards to play here.

Actually, it would be awesome if we could get a Curse card with a similar effect as Aurification. Something like:

Macar's Touch--2BB
Enchantment--Aura Curse

Enchant player.
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, that player loses 1 life.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, put a gold counter on it.
Each creature with a gold counter on it is a Wall in addition to its other creature types and has defender. (Those creatures can't attack.)
When Macar's Touch leaves the battlefield, remove all gold counters from all creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 10:59 am 

Segrus wrote:
Then again, I do only have 37 land, and I'll also be one of the slowest ramping (since I can't put in Solemn Simulacrum and/or Burnished Hart).

Horn of Greed only triggers on played lands rather than lands put directly onto the battlefield. Your land count may be too low for it, though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 2:06 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Segrus wrote:
Then again, I do only have 37 land, and I'll also be one of the slowest ramping (since I can't put in Solemn Simulacrum and/or Burnished Hart).

Horn of Greed only triggers on played lands rather than lands put directly onto the battlefield. Your land count may be too low for it, though.

I do believe the land count is a little too low to take advantage of it, but I did overlook the condition on how the lands enter the battlefield. Increasing the land count is a possibility, but I'm not certain if it's wise. I just have a hard time cutting anything for more land is all, and determining yet if increasing land count will give me too much mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 8:21 pm 

Interesting deck, the gold alters are probably going to be the big expenditure of the deck. I'm assuming you'll go the extra mile for gold sleeves as well? I know dragon shield make gold sleeves, but I don't really recommend them.
I would argue Burnished Hart is on theme with gold, but it's a creature that's able to still act while gold, so I suppose it breaks theme there too.

Something to think about though would be Hoarder's Greed. It's on theme and card draw is sort of a solution to lacking ramp as you're more likely to have a land in hand every turn.

If you're runing Strata Scythe, why not include Lashwrithe or, the non-living weapon version, Nightmare Lash.

As for worries of manaflooding, a mana sink like Strionic Resonator seems fun.

Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 3:57 am 

I would cut at least Darksteel Axe and probably also Avarice Amulet for Swamps. You want to be playing demons and your deck does basically nothing with <4 mana, so 39 land + sol ring is the absolute minimum you should be trying to get away with. I would probably be playing 43 land + sol ring.

Next cuts to get to 43 would be something like:

Ring of Xathrid
Diabolic Tutor
Painful Quandry
Journeyer's Kite

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 4:54 am 

43 lands seems high to me with 4 early ramp (Wayfarer's Bauble, Sol Ring, Coldsteel Heart, Everflowing Chalice), 3 big boosters (Guilded Lotus, Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power), and the mana storage of Basalt Monolith.

I like Thawing Glaciers better than Journeyer's Kit, and I think that Painful Quandry could probably become Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth pretty easily. Those two would get the land count up to 39.

Ring of Xathrid just seems too good to me to cut. The trick with Macar is letting him swing with impunity, and regen helps a lot with that. Diabolic Tutor is just really spot on for the flavor, though upgrading to Demonic Tutor is an easy change.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 5:57 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:
Interesting deck, the gold alters are probably going to be the big expenditure of the deck. I'm assuming you'll go the extra mile for gold sleeves as well? I know dragon shield make gold sleeves, but I don't really recommend them.
I would argue Burnished Hart is on theme with gold, but it's a creature that's able to still act while gold, so I suppose it breaks theme there too.

Something to think about though would be Hoarder's Greed. It's on theme and card draw is sort of a solution to lacking ramp as you're more likely to have a land in hand every turn.

If you're runing Strata Scythe, why not include Lashwrithe or, the non-living weapon version, Nightmare Lash.

As for worries of manaflooding, a mana sink like Strionic Resonator seems fun.

I'm planning to alter them myself. It will still be a bit of money, but I believe the effect will be worth it in the end. I've altered cards in the past with success, so over time I'll be converting them until the deck is complete.

Lashewrithe hasn't made the cut because it makes a non-demon, non-Macar creature, which while incidental I'm still considering to be against the rules of the deck. I don't have Nightmare Lash because I don't own one, lol.

Strionic Resonator was in here, but I believe I cut it for Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. It should probably come back in here, but the floating copy I have might be going into a different deck...I have to wait and see.

Hoarder's Greed is definitely on theme, I'm just concerned the clash won't hit enough to make up for the mana cost. I'm considering it, though.
JJackson wrote:
43 lands seems high to me with 4 early ramp (Wayfarer's Bauble, Sol Ring, Coldsteel Heart, Everflowing Chalice), 3 big boosters (Guilded Lotus, Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power), and the mana storage of Basalt Monolith.

I like Thawing Glaciers better than Journeyer's Kit, and I think that Painful Quandry could probably become Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth pretty easily. Those two would get the land count up to 39.

Ring of Xathrid just seems too good to me to cut. The trick with Macar is letting him swing with impunity, and regen helps a lot with that. Diabolic Tutor is just really spot on for the flavor, though upgrading to Demonic Tutor is an easy change.

I'm going to have to agree here with JJackson, crokaycete. 43 lands is too high. Darksteel Axe could probably come out for a land though, because I don't have a third Thawing Glaciers to toss around. Painful Quandary vaguely touches the theme of the deck, which is why it's in here initially. I'm not really attached to it though.

You know...I actually believe I have a free Demonic Tutor. I think I'll make the switch.

Honestly, I think I'm going to hang onto Avarice Amulet, since it does play into the theme fairly effectively. It isn't an amazing card, but it'll help give spice to the deck which will set it apart from other builds.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 7:51 am 

5 and 6 mana cards are actually irrelevant to land count. Even the 2-mana artifacts only count as maybe 1/2 a land.

I really want you look at a Standard Jund Monsters deck.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/jund-monsters-in-standard/

That deck also has its business in the 4-6 mana range. It runs 25 lands + 8 (!) mana dorks. That is over half the deck.

Your curve is higher than that deck's, and you are saying 43 lands (.5% more than Monsters has) and 4 early mana rocks (9% less than Monsters) is too much.

I know EDH players love to be greedy on mana, but I am telling you that your intuition about how much land is "too much" doesn't match up with the way successful decks are actually built. And I honestly think you would have more success if you just ran more Swamps.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 3:19 pm 

I don't think drawing a comparison to a 1v1, 20 life deck is especially useful for EDH. I do agree that players in general are greedier than they need to be with their mana (so many lists running 35 or 36 lands which is just asking for trouble), but there are several reasons why they don't need to be as cautious as standard players.

There are softer mulligan rules, which help ensure you end up with a playable number of lands for the first few turns. On top of that, you don't have to worry about being murdered in the first 4 turns so you don't need to hedge against the slow seven getting sent away and giving you a 1-land six.

The games are multiplayer, so if you are stuck on 4 or 5, odds are good that the other players are going to be slugging it out while you hang back for a couple of turns. It obviously isn't good for you, but stumbling on mana isn't the death sentence that it is in 1v1.

The effects you expect to see in an EDH game are bigger, too. The power difference between drawing gas and drawing a brick is just so much greater when you're throwing haymakers, so flooding in an EDH game is worse than flooding in a standard game. The means of mitigating it are also reduced. Lands that provide some value beyond being mana are great for standard. Scry 1 or a 2/2 aren't as powerful as actual spells, but they are close. In EDH, those effects are incredibly small compared to the actual spells that get cast.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 3:29 pm 

JJackson wrote:
The effects you expect to see in an EDH game are bigger, too. The power difference between drawing gas and drawing a brick is just so much greater when you're throwing haymakers, so flooding in an EDH game is worse than flooding in a standard game.
This statement is almost exactly wrong. The presence of the Commander and haymakers makes hitting your land drops more important than it is in Standard, where curves tend to start and end lower and feature more cheap interaction.

Having a hand full of cards you can't cast is far worse than drawing an extra couple lands, but then being able to power out a Runescarred Demon with a follow-up.

EDH teaches people such bad lessons about deck construction...

Offline Profile