Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 11:54 pm

Post subject: Lorthos, the Tidemaker (Cthulhu themed)
AgePosted: 2014-May-30 9:52 am 

Ok, so it's not really Cthulhu, but I needed to come up with something for Worship Week over at PureMTGO.com, and I thought that building around everyone's favorite elder god would be interesting.

Commander
1 Lorthos, the Tidemaker

Creatures (17)
1 Burnished Hart
1 Deep-Sea Kraken
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Kraken of the Straits
1 Mindshrieker
1 Phyrexian Ingester
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Roil Elemental
1 Scourge of Fleets
1 Shipbreaker Kraken
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 Tidal Kraken
1 Tromokratis
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Thassa, God of the Sea

Artifacts (18)
1 Caged Sun
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Grim Monolith
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Quicksilver Amulet
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Sol Ring
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Vedalken Shackles

Enchantments (4)
1 Copy Artifact
1 Mystic Remora
1 Omniscience
1 Rhystic Study

Instants (13)
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Envelop
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Force of Will
1 High Tide
1 Hinder
1 Mana Drain
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Pact of Negation
1 Pongify
1 Rapid Hybridization
1 Scattering Stroke
1 Turnabout

Planeswalkers (2)
1 Karn Liberated
1 Tezzeret the Seeker

Sorceries (6)
1 Ancestral Vision
1 Fabricate
1 Inundate
1 Rush of Knowledge
1 Time Spiral
1 Whelming Wave

Lands (39)
1 Academy Ruins
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Dust Bowl
1 Flooded Strand
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Polluted Delta
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Scorched Ruins
25 Snow-Covered Island
1 Temple of the False God
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Vesuva

So basically big scary tentacle monsters, with some land based tentacle monsters thrown in. Originally I wanted to add goofy stuff like Polar Kraken and Leviathan, but there was no way that I could make that competitive. Still, with modern power creep I did manage to find some undersea creatures that fit the bill.

After that it was a matter of cramming the deck with as much ramp as possible, plus some counterspells to protect my dudes. The deck is honestly a little light on card draw, but I guess you can take out Inundate for Blue Sun's Zenith.

So sometimes you can ramp out into a back breaking fattie early and just crush people, and other times you sit there twiddling your thumbs as people ping away at you and you wait for that 8th source of mana to do anything. But the deck was fun to play.

For more on the deck, as well as the process behind putting it together, plus videos of game play, go here: http://puremtgo.com/articles/conqueror- ... ix-cthulhu

Comments or suggestions, let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lorthos, the Tidemaker (Cthulhu themed)
AgePosted: 2014-May-30 12:37 pm 

Burnished Hart? Not even close to theme. I would suggest Dreamscape Artist instead. ( Very good with the Crucible which you are already running ) Also, I noticed that you didn't have Myojin of Seeing Winds in there.. huge card draw and kinda on theme.

You might want to add Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur as well.. I also recommend in a mono blue deck with lots of high casting cost guys, a card I just started using.. very fun, and can win you games... Homarid Spawning Bed Very usefull to prevent creature theft, stopping targeted removal and keeping your general from getting tucked... plus, lots of dudes!

Not sure how on theme it is, but with this color, and all the ramp, you could easily play Palinchron, for some untap ramp bounce action..

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-30 1:16 pm 

You're right, Burnished Hart isn't on theme. But it's really good for the deck. I didn't want to be a slave to the theme so it made the cut. Dreamscape Artist was in my initial build too. However, Crucible is really hard to tutor for, and I wanted to get rid of as many of the land sacrifice cards as I could. But he would be better for the theme than Hart like you say.

I initially had Jin-Gitaxias in the deck actually. Although he's not a tentacle monster per se he certainly is on theme with the "shock and awe" factor. Unfortunately I had to cut it because of mana concerns. I'm sure you could cut one of the lesser Krakens for him though, like Kraken of the Straits?

I do like the Homarid Spawning Bed though! That's a great find. I'll have to figure out how to fit that in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 5:35 am 

Riptide Shapeshifter is a favorite of mine in mono-Blue, because more often than not you'll have a lot of single creature types on your creatures. It is a little mana-intensive, but naming virtually any creature type other than Kraken will tutor up only a single creature in your deck (Leviathan has two targets, but Stormtide and Inkwell will probably always be welcome).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 10:14 am 

Tarasco wrote:
Crucible is really hard to tutor for....

IDK, artifacts are basically the only thing blue can tutor for. Fabricate, Tezzeret, Transmute Artifact, several similar reprints...

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 11:40 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
Tarasco wrote:
Crucible is really hard to tutor for....

IDK, artifacts are basically the only thing blue can tutor for. Fabricate, Tezzeret, Transmute Artifact, several similar reprints...

True, but I guess I didn't express myself correctly. What I don't want to do is cram a bunch of artifact tutors into the deck just to search for Crucible. Really, that's what I was trying to originally due when I was running Thing from the Deep and Jokulmorder. It didn't work and that's why I moved into this direction. This version is much less Crucible dependent. Crucible certainly helps though.

Riptide Shapeshifter could be interesting. I would go for Eldrazi to seal things up. Shapeshifter and Beast to answer or copy problem creatures. I'll have to think about that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 12:44 pm 

Tarasco wrote:
Riptide Shapeshifter could be interesting. I would go for Eldrazi to seal things up. Shapeshifter and Beast to answer or copy problem creatures. I'll have to think about that.

It'll also grab Lorthos if it gets tucked.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-01 4:49 pm 

I think it might be a crime to have a deck that is even loosely Cthulhu themed and not include Dark Depths. Other than that it seems like you've got the tentacled horrors pretty well wrapped up.

I feel like you could have a few more things dealing with insanity and ominous portents to flesh it out. Unfortunately blue's madness cards are lacking. Thematically, though, Amnesia, Deranged Assistant, Traumatic Visions, Omen, and Portent jump out as solid includes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 6:14 am 

Tarasco wrote:
You're right, Burnished Hart isn't on theme. But it's really good for the deck. I didn't want to be a slave to the theme so it made the cut. Dreamscape Artist was in my initial build too. However, Crucible is really hard to tutor for, and I wanted to get rid of as many of the land sacrifice cards as I could. But he would be better for the theme than Hart like you say.

I tried out the Dreamscape Artist in my Mono blue deck this weekend, and wow.. ramp city... if you have card draw, it turns your land in hand into land in play... If you can keep your hand full, you really need to try this guy... the key is to always have that land to toss, even if you can't get it back.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 7:47 am 

JJackson wrote:
I think it might be a crime to have a deck that is even loosely Cthulhu themed and not include Dark Depths. Other than that it seems like you've got the tentacled horrors pretty well wrapped up.

I feel like you could have a few more things dealing with insanity and ominous portents to flesh it out. Unfortunately blue's madness cards are lacking. Thematically, though, Amnesia, Deranged Assistant, Traumatic Visions, Omen, and Portent jump out as solid includes.

Dark Depths is a good idea. I wonder if there's a way to make it tap for mana...

Of the others you mentioned, I like Amnesia the most. I'm going to have to look at what to pull for that.

I will look into Dreamscape Artist. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of "consistent" draw in this deck. That can be changed, but I want the deck to feel and play like it already does.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 12:23 pm 

Tarasco wrote:
JJackson wrote:

Dark Depths is a good idea. I wonder if there's a way to make it tap for mana...

Of the others you mentioned, I like Amnesia the most. I'm going to have to look at what to pull for that.

I will look into Dreamscape Artist. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of "consistent" draw in this deck. That can be changed, but I want the deck to feel and play like it already does.
Cromantic Lantern would let Dark Depths tap for mana... but there's no need for it in this deck...

Offline Profile