Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 6:41 pm

Post subject: Mogis group slug EDH
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-20 11:11 pm 

[color=#000000]Hey! this is my first post on this great website with all this EDH/Commander stuff i dig the format! i have 4 edh decks this one i havent put together quite yet but would like some opinions on it to construct it effectively, basically what im thinking is casting spells such as pyrostatic pillar , Mogis, God of slaughter,polluted bonds, underworld dreams, earthquake, repercussion ect. for life destruction and getting mogis's devotion going as well as blowing up everyone's creatures to keep the field clear and to clear a path for mogis to smack people. Im going for a "group slug" style deck here, my playgroup is kind of competitive so im looking to build something that could do damage in a competitive meta. If anyone has any comments, questions or constructive criticism and is willing to offer advice to help me build a killer deck please feel free! this deck is going to be metal ! :twisted:

Sorcery (19)

1x ashes to ashes
1x Anger of the Gods
1x yawgmoth's will
1x Blasphemous Act
1x Breath of Darigaaz
1x Chain Reaction
1x Decree of Pain
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Earthquake
1x Exsanguinate
1x Flamebreak
1x Life's Finale
1x Mizzium Mortars
1x Molten Disaster
1x Pyroclasm
1x Reforge the Soul
1x Slagstorm
1x Wheel of Fate
1x Wheel of Fortune

Creature (8)

1x Erebos, God of the Dead
1x Fanatic of Mogis
1x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1x Massacre Wurm
1x Fate unraveler
1x Mogis, God of Slaughter
1x Seizan, Perverter of Truth
1x master of cruelties

Artifact (8)

1x Howling Mine
1x Sol Ring
1x font of mythos
1x ankh of mishral
1x dingus staff
1x otherworld atlas
1x anvil of bogardan
1x talisman of indulgence

Planeswalker (1)

1x Sorin Markov

Land (36)

1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1x Command Tower
1x Dragonskull Summit
16x Mountain
1x Sulfurous Springs
14x Swamp
1x Tainted Peak
1x nykthos, shrine to nyx

Instant (5)

1x street spasm
1x Fault Line
1x Magmaquake
1x Silence the Believers
1x Starstorm

Enchantment (23)

1x Aether flash
1x Bloodchief Ascension
1x ghostly flame
1x Burning Sands
1x Dictate of the Twin Gods
1x Exquisite Blood
1x Furnace of Rath
1x spellshock
1x pyrostatic pillar
1x aether flash
1x Lethal Vapors
1x Pestilence
1x Price of Glory
1x Pyrohemia
1x Repercussion
1x Spiteful Visions
1x smoke
1x words of war
1x Tainted AEther
1x Underworld Dreams
1x Wound Reflection
1x gratuitous violence
1x no mercy

and again thanks for checking this out; glad there's a website that supports this format the way it does
-Chris

Last edited by Greatjobbud91 on 2015-Mar-13 7:08 am, edited 23 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mogis, Death metal destruction!
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-21 10:54 am 

Welcome to the forums!

A few things first: 1) formatting helps everyone out a lot, so when you get a chance edit your post so all of your deck has card tags (basically {card}Mogis, God of Slaughter{/card}, except replace the "{" with "[" so it looks like this: Mogis, God of Slaughter); 2) it helps to know what kind of EDH environment you play in, meaning whether it is mostly casual or competitive, your general play style when playing this deck, etc.; 3) how do you mean "as Metal as possible?" I'm just not certain exactly how cards like Sulfuric Vortex and Metal bands exactly connect theme-wise. Is it about what Metal bands look like--which can be dug down a little further to exactly what Metal bands you're thinking about? Is it about how Metal bands make you feel? What various Metal bands stand for? Do you follow with what I mean?

As an aside: it would look pretty awesome to see an alternate art of Mogis rocking on a guitar.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-21 12:36 pm 

thanks for the tips! i just reformatted my post to make it convenient to check out!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-21 8:11 pm 

Havoc Festival seems like a perfect card for your deck and it also combos quite well with Wound Reflection.

Necropotence would be another good card to add since it draws you a bunch of cards and adds 3 devotion. It's a little expensive though.

Some mana ramping might be a good option as well. Rakdos Signet, Rakdos Keyrune, Chromatic Lantern, and Darksteel Ingot are all pretty affordable artifact ramp cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-21 9:53 pm 

threw in havoc festival! should be a great addition, also going to throw in nykthos for ramp, i thought about necropotence but im nt sure about it quite yet.. i probbly will end up taking out read the bones putting one in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 9:14 am 

The only thing I can see that might give you a problem is industructable dudes, and haste... it seems that all your removal is sorcery speed. Plus, if someone has creatures that you really can't kill with damage (fatties), they won't care about the 2 life.

Plus, if you plan on turning your general into a creature, you could/ should add Grafted Exoskeleton, that way, they HAVE to sac a dude, or the infect will get them..

Also, somethings to help get your general there.. Loxodon Warhammer (note: this is damage, not combat damage), Anthem of Rakdos, Inquisitor's Flail.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 7:45 pm 

You might consider adding cards like Kaervek the Merciless to add to the "group hug" type theme you have. You can also go with the enchantment that destroys lands if you try to use them on another players turn if you want to force people to "play fair." Unfortunately I don't remember the card's name - can anyone help?

If you want to really push the devotion theme, I'd recommend Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, which is oddly missing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 8:54 pm 

i was thinking about kaervek but i already have a kind of high curve and yes! i forgot to add nykthos in the land section i had it on tappedout.net but forgot to put it her ill update it, was the card you were thinking about price of glory ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 9:14 pm 

Yes, Price of Glory is what I was thinking of. It looks like you already have it though.

You have a lot of artifacts + enchantments, but you aren't in the colors that have easy recursion. You might consider Yawgmoth's Agenda if you think that your deck can function only casting one spell a turn.

Also, I'd consider Temple Bell over Howling Mine. Being able to control when your opponents get their extra card tends to be worthwhile.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 9:59 pm 

threw in a few new ones, 1x aether flash, 1x smoke, 1x liability, and 1x yawgmoth's will

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-24 11:59 am 

I had a similar deck that was built as a 'group slug' style deck with Kaervek the Merciless as the commander. One thing I found particularly brutal for people was mana punishment. You're not ramping, but it's such a common thing in Commander that playing a card like Ankh of Mishra is often enough that the green guy who wants to play five extra lands needs to really think twice about it. Also since you're only two colors you aren't running many non-basic lands and can really hammer the people that have greedy mana bases. Burning Earth, Price of Progress, Collapsing Borders, and even good old Mana Barbs are absolutely a nightmare for a lot of decks to deal with.

Another card you should highly consider is Pain Magnification. It can be absolutely brutal, especially when coupled with all your indirect damage sources can just rip apart peoples hands. It's also a fun combo with Collapsing Borders since even if you have all five basic lands and net a life gain of two it still hits you for three causing a discard trigger.

Offline Profile