Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-13 9:10 pm

Post subject: GISELA, Blade of Goldnight - Themed Deck
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-21 10:06 am 

GISELA, Blade of Goldnight - Angels, Humans and Righteous Warfare
I wanted to share this as my first deck posted.
This deck has transformed from a 'goodstuff' to 100% Themed deck. Although removing some of the non-theme elements might have weakened the deck (Palisade Giant, Hateflayer, Cleaver Riot), I think over all I will enjoy playing it more for the consistent theme.

The Design Philosophy: Synergy. The goal with this deck is to build up a power base, drop Gisela (and Furnace of Rath) to further ramp up damage potential to one-shot an opponent - either through combat damage or Commander damage.
A combination of Flying, First strike and Vigilance provides damage output and defenses. Boosted by the tap for damage creatures, this should render most opponent's return damage moot. The damage multipliers can make them deliver 4 damage per hit, and a 1 mana lightning bolt deliver 12.
Various damage reducers and redirection, combined with life gain make life loss a minimal concern.
The deck is built around the commander, with many of the effects being boosted by the damage multiplier or negated by the reduction. Even without the commander, there should be enough synergy and options to survive and deliver a killing blow.

BUILD RESTRICTIONS:
- Angels, Humans, Martial Code, Angelic Glory
- Budget (except for commanders, I stick to cards under $2 unless I already own them).

OPINIONS and COMMENTS welcomed.

CAVALRY
GISELA, Blade of Goldnight
Archetype of Aggression
Archetype of Courage
Angel of Glory's Rise
Angelic Skirmisher
Guardian of the Gateless
Herald of War
Seraph
Serra Angel
Skyknight Legionnaire
Victory's Herald
White Knight
Zealous Conscripts

ARCHERS
Arcane Teachings
Cunning Sparkmage
Frostwielder
Rage Thrower
Vulshok Sorcerer
Wojek Embermage

WARDENS
Martyrs of Korlis
Miracle Worker
Umbra Mystic
Veteran Bodyguard

SACRED OMENS
Antagonism
Furnace of Rath
Glorious Anthem
Knighthood
Manabarbs
Martial Glory
Relentless Assault

WARGEAR AND BENEDICTIONS
Avacyn's Collar
Cho-Manno's Blessing
Fireshrieker
Grappling Hook
Guildscorn Ward
Holy Mantle
Indestructibility
Inquisitor's Flail
Madcap Skills
Mask of Avacyn
Prismatic Ward
Ring of Thune
Scourge of the Nobilis
Serra's Blessing
Serra's Embrace
Skyblinder Staff
Strider Harness
Volcanic Strength

WARDS / HEALING
Archangel's Light
Castle
Congregate
Elixir of Immortality
Kismet
Personal Sanctuary
Red Elemental Blast
Rewards of Diversity
Spirit Link
Urza's Armor

EXTERMINATORS
Dust to Dust
Kumano's Blessing
Lightning Bolt
Planar Cleansing
Pyrohemia
Shattering Blow

MANA
Boros Cluestone
Boros Guildgate
Boros Signet
17 Mountain
17 Plains

MAYBE LIST
Wave of Reckoning
Odric, Master Tactician
Reconnaissance
Day of Judgement
Frontline Medic
Aggravated Assault

Last edited by RancidTwinkie on 2014-Mar-25 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GISELA, Blade of Goldnight - Themed Deck
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-21 11:43 am 

I build a deck with the same general and theme. Where my want was to drop the general, swing and kills someone. One hit one kill. I haven't updated it in a while, but I am playing more spells that give double strike (I think all of them in those colors). And any artifacts or enchantments that double up on the damage.

I included cards like Boros Charm, Double Cleave, Gratuitous Violence, Overblaze, Quest for Pure Flame, Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Rage Reflection, True Conviction,Silverblade Paladin, Savage Beating.. etc.

Other then this focus, and some mana ramp artifacts, there are some things that work in synergy with the general.

I found that focusing on my general I didn't usually have a bunch of creatures, so swarm decks were a problem... so I started to include lots of removal.. but only damage based removal, so that my general and any creatures I played would survive if my general was in play. Cards like Flamebreak, Blasphemous Act, Chain Reaction. And if I get lucky, I can kill a guy with his own horde of tokens using mass damage and Repercussion. (super funny btw)

I also play fun cards that work well with the theme like Firecat Blitz and White Sun's Zenith, so that if my general is in play, and I have another mass pump effect like True Conviction, or Rage Reflection out, all the tokens could turn into a pre turn win con. 1/1 tokens turn into mini ball lightnings...

Of course for me, and a deck like this, haste is key... so I play a lot of the cards that will give my creatures haste. I even play Mark of Fury, as it is so cheap and reusable. But I don't use Lightning Greaves due to the shroud on it. So cards like In the Web of War and Ogre Battledriver are both haste and pump.

Some of the pump enchants I use give protection from creatures/ trample/ +1/+1... etc... it's pretty easy to get to letheal when you give your general double strike consistantly and +1/+1.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-24 12:41 pm 

I have a fun Boros deck of my own (Lobber Crew is a standout).

I do have some thoughts for improvements; you'll have to decide if they fit your theme. They have all been good for me.

Odric, Master Tactician
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Jiwari, the Earth Aflame
Malignus!!!
Balefire Liege
Angel of Jubilation
Pyrohemia
Basilisk Collar - for the pingers
Wave of Reckoning

and my pick for MVP - Reconnaissance - I seriously can't heap enough praise on this. Being able to attack with everything on every turn is exactly what this deck (and any ol aggro deck) wants. Untap at the end of combat, and it serves the same purpose as Serra's Blessing as well.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-24 2:42 pm 

The_Dr_B wrote:
I have a fun Boros deck of my own (Lobber Crew is a standout).

I do have some thoughts for improvements; you'll have to decide if they fit your theme. They have all been good for me.

Thanks, I have added the ones that fit my budget and theme to the Maybe List. Pyrohemia went in between my post and yours. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-24 4:10 pm 

35 Land is not enough. You want to win by casting a 7 mana spell. You should be playing 44 mana sources minimum.

I'm also not sure I understand the theme here. You have some strange titles for sections of your deck that I assume are supposed to mean things, but I can't really seem to figure out what.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-24 7:54 pm 

=\/=THE EMPEROR PROTECTS=\/=

Under the gaze of glorious Sanguinius, we shall purge all heathens and heretics that stand before us! Glory to the Blood Angels! For the Angel and the Emperor!

Look to your Battle-Brothers, and enlist their aid:
Kumano, Master Yamabushi - Fear not the Psyker, for his witchfire is the bane of Daemons and Heretics alike.
Odric, Master Tactician - Part aside their legions of worthless filth and, with but a motion, strike at the heart of your enemies.
Frontline Medic - APOTHECARY!
Aurelia, the Warleader - The Sisters have granted us the use of a Living Saint. Squander not this precious resource.
Invasion Plans - Look to the Codex for guidance, look to your brothers for strength, and look to your enemies for the means to enact both.
Heretic's Punishment - Burn, heretic.
Day of Judgment - Let them look to the Judgment of the Master of Mankind, for they shall be found wanting.
Marshal's Anthem - Stand once more with your brothers, and be filled with the Emperor's light!
Aggravated Assault - So long as the enemies of mankind still draw breath, there can be no peace.
World at War - We are the Emperor's fury incarnate, and we shall never tire.
Seismic Assault - The land itself seeks your end, heathen. Where now will you run?
Impatience - The enemies of mankind will not wait for you. Why should you offer them such a mercy?
Akroma's Memorial - Never forget the sacrifice of the Primarch.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-12 4:37 pm 

I really like the GISELA, Blade of Goldnight and other cards that is using swords in it like Serra Angel because swords are awesome.

Offline Profile