Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-23 5:41 am

Post subject: Xenagos, God of Revels - Beatdown + Control - 17/10/16
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 2:16 am 

Revision 3 - Finally gave this list the spit and polish it so deserves. A tonne of new cards released really gave it a solid set of cards to play with.

It continues to be my favorite list to play. Xenagos will always make the list a little more competitive then I like, but I feel I struck a really nice balance between fair and not fair and allowing my opponents enough counter play to not feel oppressed by the Commander itself while still being powerful as well.

The list is structured to play for the mid to late game, controlling the board, punching life totals down and waiting to punish the first board wipe by playing one of the big beaters with Xenagos out.

Once the beater is out, arch enemy is usually on, and your goal is to race the board using Maze of Ith, other fog effects and life gain to buy the time needed to win. Normally I wouldn't promote life gain as a strategy, but this list gains an absurd amount of it so easily, it works. Maze of Ith + Fogs deal with Commander and/or Infect damage.

Quote:
General:
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Beaters:
1 Wilderness Elemental
1 Hydra Omnivore
1 Siege Behemoth
1 Plated Crusher
1 Archetype of Endurance

Survival:
1 Maze of Ith
1 Smoke
1 Constant Mists
1 Forcefield
1 Spike Weaver

Lifelink:
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Predator's Rapport
1 Batterskull
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Multipliers:
1 Berserk
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Savage Beating
1 Dictate of the Twin Gods
1 Gratuitous Violence

Removal:
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Grab the Reins
1 Cyclops Gladiator
1 Acidic Slime
1 Chandra's Ignition
1 Bane of Progress
1 Duplicant
1 Bloodshot Cyclops
1 Inferno Titan
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Breaker of Armies

Draw & Recursion:
1 Sylvan Library
1 Den Protector
1 Hunter's Insight
1 Greater Good
1 Temur Sabertooth
1 Momentous Fall
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Greenwarden of Murasa
1 Nissa's Revelation

Graveyard hate:
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Loaming Shaman
1 Burn Away

Tutors:
1 Traverse the Ulvenwald
1 Expedition Map
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Imperial Recruiter
1 Fierce Empath
1 Primal Command
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord

Land Ramp:
1 Yavimaya Dryad
1 Cultivate
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Nissa's Pilgrimage
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Tempt with Discovery
1 Reap and Sow
1 Ulvenwald Hydra
1 Verdant Confluence

Lands:
1 Command Tower
1 Vesuva
1 Taiga
1 Stomping Ground
1 Cinder Glade
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Windswept Heath
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Mossfire Valley
1 Temple of Abandon
1 Raging Ravine
1 Gruul Turf
1 Myriad Landscape
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Yavimaya Hollow
1 Strip Mine
1 Homeward Path
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Arcane Lighthouse
1 Temple of the False God
1 Thespian's Stage
7 Forest
5 Mountain

Last edited by GoodbyeWorld on 2015-Nov-13 9:31 am, edited 15 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels - Revision 2 - 08/03/14
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 2:56 am 

Needs more combat phases...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 3:45 am 

RoarMaster wrote:
Needs more combat phases...

Maybe, but there isn't really room for more.

The 4 multipliers I run are equivalents roughly, with various perks to each one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 1:24 pm 

The only one I see on your list is Godo, am I missing 3 someplace?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 1:49 pm 

RoarMaster wrote:
The only one I see on your list is Godo, am I missing 3 someplace?

Multipliers:
1 Strionic Resonator
1 Seize the Day
1 Wrecking Ogre
1 Gratuitous Violence

Are the rough equivalents I mentioned.

Take a 4/4, and run them under each scenario.

Resonator = 4/4 to 8/8, to 16/16 with Xenagos. Total damage 16.
Gratuitous = 4/4 to 8/8, total damage 16.
Seize the Day = 4/4 to 8/8 attack, to 16/16 attack, total damage 24.
Wrecking Ogre = 4/4 to 8/8, to 11/11, total damage 22.
Skarrg Goliath = 4/4 to 8/8 to 17/17, total damage 17.

So ya, extra combat steps win in terms of damage dealt, but Resonator works on all my ETB effects, and Violence works with Fight upfront, Tornado Elemental, Balefire Dragon, Flametongue, and Borborygmos (and works on the defensive side too).

Aggravated Assault would probably be the next best choice for reusability, but I always found it mana intensive to take real advantage of.

Savage Beating could find its way back in probably. With the 4/4, that turns into 16 damage first swing and 32 the next, which is death, but also overkill. A 3/3 does 36 damage, which is nice.

The 4 multipliers are fairly interchangeable, so I can test each one and see how they work.

I keep forgetting Wilderness Elemental as well, which was mediocre with Radha, but crazy efficient with Xenagos.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-11 2:48 pm 

I finally got around to trying to put together a version of Xenagos myself. It looks like yours has changed significantly since the last time I saw it. Much more controlling. Couple of quick thoughts:

Spine of Ish Sah is so mana intensive. Why not Beast Within?

Like you I went pretty heavy on the ramp, but I often found that ran out of steam pretty quick. Do you have enough draw? Hunter's Insight, Momentous Fall, that sort of thing?

How has Borborygmos Enraged been working out? It seems like you're shoehorning in a lot of stuff to support him, which, while the stuff is good (Life from the Loam, Crucible of Worlds, etc.) might be able to be removed to shore up any deficiencies the deck may have.

You're running some stuff that is sad because it doesn't trample. Archetype of Aggression?

I notice that you have a couple Fog variants. How about taking advantage of your huge dudes by gaining some life with Miren, the Moaning Well?

I'm interested to know how it's playing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-12 3:35 am 

Hey Tarasco, perfect timing, got the first update on how it plays :)

The good news is, I'm competing in my meta now finally. Not coming out of the gate so aggressively (ala Radha) means I'm living longer, and Xenagos as the General is providing that consistent piece I needed to push through large volumes of damage.

I went more controlling because there are just too many answers that shut down aggression or cards that steal games out of nowhere. I'm often begging for certain pieces of removal...

Spine of Ish Sah was a all star this night in my second game. I used it at least 4 times, all against fairly critical targets. I got it back twice as collateral and twice off Goblin Welder. Very impressed with it, because if I have a threat on the table + Xenagos, I don't need to extend much past that and Spine gives me something very productive to do with my mana. I liked it so much, I almost definitely want to fit in Greater Gargadon and possibly Phyrexia's Core. I'm lukewarm on Beast Within, but also strongly considering Oblivion Stone.

I'd love to fit in more draw, and looking into some changes.

I never drew Borborygmos Enraged to be fair, and his spot is certainly valuable in terms of what else could be in there. I didn't like Glacial Chasm so much when I had it. It was hard to find the right times to play it, but I did manage to Crop Rotation into it which was a great play, only to be defeated by graveyard removal exiling my Crucible which I was going to Welder back into play... That said, still awkward, mostly because of the fact that it eats a land and takes a land drop. So if I cut Glacial, my 'land package' gets a bit weaker...

The fog package is amazing in my meta however (including Maze of Ith). Most people just have no idea how to deal with it. Constant Mists is going to win me games, I know it. It works so well because my guys get so large that as long as I have trample, I just smash past their defenders and keep fogs up for the retaliations. I don't think Miren, the Moaning Well can supplement this, because removing my threats is the last thing I need unless in response to removal.

I actually cut down on my trample enablers because I have so much land search now, getting Skarrg or Rage Pits is easy. Warhammer is fairly easy to fetch as well. If I were to put another one back in, it would be Nylea, God of the Hunt again.

TLDR; Fogs = Fantastic, Land engine not sure, would love more draw, no need for more trample enablers.

So the cards I'd really like to fit in are:

Oblivion Stone
Berserk (forgot about this, at 1 mana, to good to pass up and also counts as removal)
Greater Gargadon
{Card Draw}

and possibly:

Homura, Human Ascendant, which I am not 100% sure on. Great card, sometimes hard to get into play though, but also an amazing Birthing Pod target. Legendary as well, so bonus points for being Time of Need friendly.

Phyrexia's Core, because Spine is that good. I wish I had more synergies for Core though...

Karn Liberated because Avacyn and Ulamog have shown me significant trouble this night, and past ones (with Radha). Especially Ulamog which my Maze + Fog effects don't exactly stop him from slowly crushing me... Grab the Reins is another alternative I could put back in...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-12 6:38 am 

Hoard-Smelter Dragon is one of my favorite things to pair with Spine of Ish Sah

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-12 9:55 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

Hot damn... That works. Another card to fit in... I had cut my Hellkite Tyrant already for being to narrow though...hmmm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-12 10:13 am 

That's interesting to hear that the Fog variants are helpful. I guess you're right, most people aren't prepared for them. But it may end up dragging the game out a little. If you win, the trade off is worth it though.

I would probably take out Inferno Titan for Hoard-Smelter Dragon. They both fit in a removal spot, although different types, and the Dragon can more easily pump his power to take advantage of Xenagos. I agree that Oblivion Stone also deserves a slot, but the only ideas I see to take out would be Wrecking Ogre or Mad Prophet. But that's just my presonal bias against these guys. I guess I like Homura as well, but he seems a little gimmicky to me.

I got in 2 games with my version (not nearly as controlling as yours) and was surprised at how easily people got Xenagos off the table. All is Dust, Primal Command, etc. Maybe my opponents just drew the right stuff but he never lasted that long. I'm hoping for a better outcome with more games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-12 11:10 am 

That's the main reason I run so many tutors and and why I'm really reluctant to cut into any of them.

Inferno Titan is so good with Basilisk Collar as removal that I find it another hard cut to make. I will watch the spot though, as it's not the first time someone said to cut it. He's also 18 damage the turn he comes into play off Xenagos...

I don't think Fogs drag out the game, they drag out your life total :D ... Once I swing once for 18+ damage, the other players get nervous and start beating on me fairly hard.

Prophet is amazing, especially with Squee. Turn 3 Squee, turn 4 Birthing Pod into Prophet = instant draw engine.

O Stone will like take Glacial Chasm's spot for now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 6:11 pm 

Quick changes:

Glacial Chasm -> Oblivion Stone
Realms Uncharted -> Expedition Map
Smoldering Crater -> Forest

Chasm wasn't working the way I wanted, same with Realms. Map works well with Welder and Stone is more removal.

I'm eyeling either Life from the Loam or Crucible of Worlds. Crucible I feel needs more strong synergy than just Constant Mists and Oracle of Mul Daya. Crazy good when with them, just ok when not...

Loam is great as a graveyard filler for Counsel, and also really good with Borborygmos Enraged and the cycling lands, but again, not amazing otherwise...

Dunno hard to say...

Crop Rotation or Sylvan Scrying could possibly go as well... Same debate, both have pros and cons.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels - Revision 2 - 15/03/14
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 2:24 am 

Another night, another update.

No changes as yet. Still really want to fit in Greater Gargadon as the last card to really round out the list.

Played a awesome game tonight though, intense match and a lot of cards got put through their paces.

Constant Mists continues to be a amazing. I borderline consider it preying on my meta at this stage because it buys way more time then it should.

Borborygmos Enraged got to show his face this time, and while not a decisive situation to prove his worth, his reach was very very valuable as the final rounds had the red zone fairly locked up. I had Loam going, but couldn't find Praetor's Counsel to work through the opponents 62 life completely in the time I needed.

I lost the intense match mostly because it had went on so long, and I derped some obvious plays I had available and my opponent played better to take the round. One such mistake was forgetting Xenagos was active (he almost never is...) with Archetype + Genesis in the yard. I could have gotten Archetype out and in play and swung mercilessly with Xenagos, but I didn't and got blown out by Condemn. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, didn't matter, the round was super fun, with half the table even recovering from a Soulscour at one point, and Constant Mists stopping a 1 hit KO against me from Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

What I'm most happy with is my list is well rounded and capable of handling most situations fairly well. It's also not oppressively unfair. I feel I have to work pretty hard to win, with no major easy-out cards. Sometimes it sucks to watch people threaten easy wins with cards like Avenger of Zendikar which I could be running along with say Tooth and Nail or something, but the satisfaction is high and I'm losing not because I can't compete, but mostly because I try to be fair (or I play like a noob :))

I'm excited to have a crack at Phenax now, because I think I can build him just as robust as Xenagos, while playing out differently. A good solid control list is very much needed in my meta... Counterspells are a little under appreciated.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 4:48 am 

Pysces wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Hot damn... That works. Another card to fit in... I had cut my Hellkite Tyrant already for being to narrow though...hmmm.

I would counter this by saying that stealing somebodies artifacts is NEVER narrow :-P I mean, seriously, free artifacts and its a big fat tramply body with easy to cast mana, whats not to love? You can completely ignore his alternate win con line in favour of the STEEL TARGET OPPONENTS STUFF FOREVER! line :mrgreen:

Of course if your meta doesn't run many artifacts I suppose its a moot point, but seriously...free stuff! Do it!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels - Revision 2 - 15/03/14
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-15 10:34 am 

So did you manage to fit in Berserk? I completely forgot about it until I came back and checked on this thread. Seems like it would be great.

Or have you shelved this to work on Phenax now? I really like the idea behind this deck, it's certainly much more controlling than the route I went. Also, since I play online Gods are running around all over the place, and as such Unravel the Aether and Deglamer have been all-stars for me.

Offline Profile