Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-14 6:43 pm

Post subject: Nurse Nin's Red Cross Army
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-19 10:45 am 

Anonymous friend wrote:
"The best combo deck is aggro. Everything combos with everything else."

Hellooooooo forums! :D

Once upon a time, there was a thread by Squirrely with a very inspiring decklist for a u/R Goblin tribal deck with this lovely lady at the helm:

I took the base idea, then went my own way with it. Today, I'd like to share with you the current version of my list.

Head Nurse:

Nin Paine "Who wants the next shot?" Artist (that's actually her whole name)

Beetleback Chief ("All you need is love...")
Dack's Duplicate (a gift from her old boyfriend)
Dragon Fodder (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin)
Empty the Warrens (so many volunteers!)
Goblin Bushwhacker ("GOTCHA!")
Goblin Diplomats (liking them, along with Bident, more and more)
Goblin Chieftain ("CHARGE!")
Goblin Chirurgeon, M.D.
Goblin King (just a puppet, really)
Goblin Lookout (Furt's busy day)
Goblin Matron (nursery is over there, third door, right next to the director's office)
Goblin Ruinblaster (he's having a... 8) ...real BLAST!)
Goblin Sharpshooter ("Sogeki no shima de~ Umareta ore wa~")
Goblin Warchief ("CHARGE!")
Hordeling Outburst (the more, the merrier)
Chancellor of the Forge (AKA Big Daddy)
Jeering Instigator ("Catch me, if you can!")
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (hospital director; no infinite combos, mind you! He's playing nice this time)
Don Krenko, Mob Boss (handles the...loose ends)
Krenko's Command ("Let them sniff the rocks.")
Legion Loyalist (this card makes people cry)
Lightning Crafter (interesting fact: surprisingly high amount of people don't care to read the reminder text of the champion mechanic until it's too late (READ: Kiki steps in))
Mimic Vat (a new test subject every turn!)
Mogg War Marshal ("Get in the line!")
Phyrexian Metamorph (most of the time, anyway)
Razorfin Hunter (Specimen breeding succesful, offspring Commander-viable -Simic research notes)
Siege-Gang Commander (AKA The Party Crasher)
Sparksmith (likes his Collars)
Stingscourger (goblins can do WHAT?!)

Basilisk Collar (goblin's best friend)
Consecrated Sphinx ("Am I at the right party?")
Obelisk of Urd (waiting for Wizards to print Obelisk of Belldandy)
Quest for the Goblin Lord ("Hey! Over here! We found one!")
Stuffy Doll ("This takes me back to my youth..." -Head nurse Nin)
Thousand-Year Elixir (DOSAGE: One tablespoon thrice a day for a grown-up goblin)
Training Grounds (concentration is important)

Aftershock ("SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE: Permanent destruction,...")
Blasphemous Act (...religious intolerance...)
Comet Storm ("...bad weather,...")
Curse of the Swine ("...Oink!,...")
Cyclonic Rift ("Janitor to the 'Opponents' section!")
Devastation Tide ("...magical tornadoes,...")
Dismiss into Dream ("...hallucinations,...")
Mogg Infestation ("...uncontollable multiplying,...")
Opposition ("...bouts of defiance,...")
Rolling Earthquake ("...staggering,...")
Vandalblast ("...aggressive behavior towards inanimate objects,...")
Warp World ("...and/or distortions in the fabric of reality.")

Ashnod's Altar (a gift from her BFF)
Battle Hymn ("Kdož sú bo~ží bojovní~ci...")
Brightstone Ritual (ohh, shiny!)
Izzet Signet (signed by her idol, Niv, himself)
Mana Geyser (so long and thanks for all the tapped lands!)
Mana Vault (The Vault is real)
Seething Song (shall we go?)
Sol Ring ("A girl can dream, right?" -Head nurse Nin)

Bident of Thassa (fork it over!)
Fervor ("GeroNinmo!")
Gratuitous Violence ("Why, I do like doubling my damage output, thank you.")
Illusionist's Gambit (one of the fruits of her research)
In the Web of War (...no one escapes)
Keep Watch (Big Sis is watching...))
Shared Animosity ("WE DON'T LIKE YOU!")
Skullclamp ("Let's see what's inside.")
Swiftfoot Boots (no Lightning Greaves - shroud is bad for Nin's complexion)
Trinket Mage ("Igor! Fetch me the Skullclamp!" "But my name is..." *GLARE* "I mean, right away, ma'am."

Evolving Wilds (a metaphor for life itself)
Izzet Boilerworks (gotta have power)
Minamo, School at Water's Edge (her lab is here)
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx ("Oh mighty Purphoros, we're not worthy!")
Steam Vents (JOB OFFER: High risk, high reward! Burn insurance up to the third degree and 80% body coverage! Call the Izzet Recruitment Center now!)
Sulfur Falls (her favorite meditation spot)
Terramorphic Expanse (standard issue)
9x Island
16x Mountain

The central idea is to essentially play Goblin beatdown, while using windows of opportunity to refill my hand with Nin by shooting my own tokens/creatures that are going to die anyway/Nin herself (she's been very depressed lately).

Blue gives Goblins a steady supply of steam so I seldom run out of options. In addition to that, there are several cards capable of breaking stalemates, such as Cyclonic Rift, Dismiss into Dream or Warp World. I can even go defensive with a bunch of Gobos and Opposition, if need be - the deck is very versatile.

The rituals are there, of course, for our Milady to go crazy.

The deck is a lot of fun to play and, judging by the reactions I get, to play against. Sadly, I've gotten to the part where I can pretty much defend every card's inclusion, so it's became hard to add new pieces. Suggestions are welcome!

Training Grounds - A lot of people are surprised when they see this in the list. Let me assure you, Nin alone makes it worth the slot. It basically gives you two cards for every activation, which is pretty sweet for just one mana.

I still chuckle at how nobody expects to see pingers in EDH. A T2 Razorfin Hunter often causes people to trip in their early game and even later they mess up combat math hilariously :D

Purphoros's burn ability is so prominent, some people forget he has another one. Combine that with the aforementioned Training Grounds (assuming he's a creature) and go to town!

Stuffy Doll allows Nin to fry my opponents directly while drawing cards for you. Combined with Gratuitous Violence, it results in 4*X damage to the dome. Fun!

In a similar vein, having Consecrated Sphinx out means that if I shoot an opponent's creature with my general, I draw 2*X cards.

Goblin Sharpshooter + Basilisk Collar, full stop. Dismiss into Dream works, too.

As promised, Kiki-Jiki can't go infinite in this deck, but he does like his buddy Lightning Crafter very, very much. I've caught many a foe by surprise by the amount of shenanigans these two allow for.

Purphoros is NUTS. I had a duel game in which I dropped him in the second turn via Sol Ring. He alone has dealt some 26 damage by the seventh turn, in which the game ended.

In one game, back when Shared Animosity was Márton Stromgald, I had him attack with 20 other creatures. One of them was Nin, so she single-handedly killed one player, while her army wiped the other one with some 400 damage. I think that was the only time I killed someone with general damage with her.

Turn two Warren Instigator into turn three attack, putting Krenko and Siege-Gang Commander into play.

Warp World against Uril, tucking his general, along with Rancor. Opponent got some lands and a few Auras with no creature to enchant. I got Consecrated Sphinx, SGC, Psychosis Crawler...

Using Goblin Diplomats to force opponent to kill himself by attacking into my two Stuffy Dolls (the other one was Phyrexian Metamorph).

Using Metamorph to copy Isochron Scepter, imprintig Brightstone Ritual onto it, then going nuts.

T2 Sparksmith into T3 cast and equip Basilisk Collar in a duel against Zur.

Any time I get Training Grounds in my opening hand.

Killing two opponents in one turn by making a crapload of tokens with Krenko, then casting Battle Hymn and blasting the player hiding behind Sphere of Safety off-hand by shooting Mogg Maniac with Nin for some 56 damage before Zerg-rushing the second one. Dodge this!

Killing two opponents (see the pattern here?) by Krenko making lots of tokens (and here?), but with no haste, then casting Gratuitous Violence and Chancellor of the Forge, whose tokens actually do have haste. Cue Kill from Nowhere(tm).

Dealing 758 combat damage at once. Through a Propaganda. After nonchalantly killing off the first opponent with Lightning Crafter in the upkeep. Yep, Nin is a bitch. I love her :twisted:
(Note: Out of curiosity, I counted how much damage would that be without having to deal with Propaganda. I arrived at 2658. Shared Animosity HURTS :shock: )

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2015-Jul-03 9:50 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Nurse Nin's Red Cross Army
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-20 12:03 am 

I also have a tribal Nin deck, but mine is elementals. A couple of cards I might recommend are Door of Destinies, Shared Animosity (It's like Marton Stromgald but not as fragile), and Distant Melody.

Also, I'm suprised you aren't running Mogg Maniac, because he is best pals with Nin.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-21 7:59 am 

Shucks, I was gonna add Shared Animosity, but then I saw Purphoros in the spoilers and forgot about it :facepalm:
Second :facepalm: for Mogg Maniac - I know that card exists, I may even have one tucked somewhere, but I still managed to miss it. Thanks for that.
I'm considering Door of Destinies, but haven't found a slot for it yet, as it's not a number one priority for me right now. Both cards mentioned above are better for the deck, IMO. Pretty much the same goes for Distant Melody and that's maybe another card I'd add before The Doors.
BTW you got me really curious about your Elemental version, I'd very much like to see your list.
Thanks for the suggestions! :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-07 7:51 pm 

EDIT 11/8/2013 (post-Theros):
- Mountain
- Guttersnipe (sorry bro, tough competition)
- Koth of the Hammer (the deck is slowly balancing the two colors, so Koth is no longer that good. Still on the watchlist, though)
- Gauntlet of Power (as above, the color balancing made this not worth running)
- Mana Echoes (it surprises me, but this turned out not so great in this deck, mainly because most of the time it gives mana on my turn while I want to activate Nin during my opponents' turns)
- Márton Stromgald (replaced with Shared Animosity for most of the same effect for one less mana, far greater resilience and no need for haste)

+Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx (it's a two-color deck, but most of my permanents are red, so it works fine)
+Mogg Maniac (HOW COULD I MISS HIM?!!)
+Shared Animosity (oh Márton, how ENCHANTING you've become...)
+Curse of the Swine (got a foil one at the prerelease, OFC I'm gonna play it! :))
+Distant Melody (aaaaaand moar draw)
+Bident of Thassa (^this. Also, the activated ability is fun as hell)

Wishlist:
Gratuitous Violence - I need to find room for this. Just imagining this with Purphy, Sogeking, Mogg Maniac or Stuffy Doll is enough to make me laugh diabolically :twisted: Also, in a pinch I can shoot others' creatures with Nin while drawing them less cards.
Goblin Lackey
Blood Moon
Winding Canyons
Illusionist's Gambit - don't know if it will be good, but on paper, I just LOVE this card :D Stops Uril, you know...
Sudden Demise - considering this, but not sure

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-08 9:40 pm 

Thanks for the shoutout! I completely missed this thread. Lately, I have not been playing this deck too much, but seeing your thread I want to pick it up again and start testing it anew. Will probably start with your current list, because you've probably had more time with the deck than I ever had by now. I'll let you know my findings.

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-09 8:06 am 

Don't mention it :D I'll be happy to hear from you! I'll add a little list of cards I've tried and took out:

Mana Echoes - potentially a lot of mana, but very unreliable: it gives me mana almost exclusively in my main phase, but I often need to keep Nin ready during my opponents' turns to shoot whatever creature I'm chump-blocking with at the moment (or to shoot herself in response to Hallowed Burial and stuff). I ditched Braid of Fire and Thran Turbine for the same reason.
Gauntlet of Power, Koth of the Hammer - these two were in originally, when the deck was almost entirely monored with only a few blue cards, but since then, blue's share has increased steadily, so I had to lose mountains for islands and nonbasics. Eventually, I took these out because of that.
Márton Stromgald - too unreliable, not a Goblin, so it can't use haste from Warchief and Chieftain, Shared Animosity does the trick way better.
Illusionist's Bracers, Rings of Brighthearth - I almost never had spare mana for the equip cost/trigger cost. The curve is low, so I want to be either casting Goblins or giving shots from Nin and there's rarely time for these artifacts in between. Training Grounds does WAY better job of boosting Nin in this deck.

Good luck to you!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 5:21 am 

EDIT 2/20/2014:

-2 Mountains
-Thornbite Staff (not as useful as it first seemed, plus could theoretically go infinite with about three other cards)
-Psychosis Crawler (underperformed, mostly was just a 3/3 that pinged for 2 or three before he died miserably; the dream of shooting him with Nin for at least three consecutive turns never happened; Stuffy Doll does the trick WAY better)

+Sulfur Falls (yay for stability!)
+Izzet Keyrune (can take the medication, if needed)
+Illusionist's Gambit (this is shaping to be much fun)
+Gratuitous Violence (FINALLY, I get to test this baby; don't let me down :D )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 10:42 am 

I just put together a Nin Goblin deck. I wanted to build a UR Goblin deck for the longest time and then I saw your yours. I went with Goblins and Clones and it is a BLAST.

Played a game last night where I cloned Karador and then Sakashima'd Karador with an Aluren on the field. ALL THE GOBLIN SHENANIGANS! :twisted:

I'll post a decklist soon. I have to take Vicious Shadows out. It's too brutal in this deck for my group.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 3:43 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I just put together a Nin Goblin deck. I wanted to build a UR Goblin deck for the longest time and then I saw yours. I went with Goblins and Clones and it is a BLAST.

I'll post a decklist soon. I have to take Vicious Shadows out. It's too brutal in this deck for my group.

My ego thanks you :) The only clone I run is Phyrexian Metamorph, so I'm curious what you did with them. Sure looking forward to your list!

I added Shadows as one of the ways to break late-game stalemates. My version is certainly capable of putting out pressure and go for straight beatdown, but sometimes, it isn't possible or there's just too many opponents. That's when I switch to defensive stance and it constantly surprises me, how well this deck can pull that off. No big threats, lay low, a little politics, then BAM!

Cheering for you, man! :D Nin needs more love.

...and needles :twisted:

Last edited by Antis on 2014-Aug-27 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 11:09 am 

Antis wrote:
Cheering for you, man! :D Nin needs more love.

...and needles :twisted:

Speaking of needles... Where is yours?
Pithing Needle, I mean!

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-22 8:03 am 

What's up guys? I dug this deck up for a couple of games and rocked it. Deck is still very sweet. I love it how the deck plays all kinds of weird cards.

I have to say, I was skeptical about Training Grounds, but after going turn 1 Grounds, turn 3 Nin, getting an extra 4 cards out of 2 activations before she died was amazing. So yeah, I came around :).

Also, Dismiss into Dream was an all-star.

I'll post my current list soon, but I don't think it's too different from Antis's

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-04 10:42 am 

Squirrely wrote:
What's up guys? I dug this deck up for a couple of games and rocked it. Deck is still very sweet. I love it how the deck plays all kinds of weird cards.

I have to say, I was skeptical about Training Grounds, but after going turn 1 Grounds, turn 3 Nin, getting an extra 4 cards out of 2 activations before she died was amazing. So yeah, I came around :).

Also, Dismiss into Dream was an all-star.

I'll post my current list soon, but I don't think it's too different from Antis's
High five, man! :D

TG is awesome, never looked back. It pays for itself several times over almost every game I drop it.
PROTIP: Try it with Purphoros 8)

One of the things I love about this deck is how people aren't used to seeing pingers in EDH. T2 Razorfin Hunter can ruin a lot of days... :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-27 8:59 pm 

UPDATE 08/28/2014:

-Geosurge
-Mogg Maniac
-Skirk Prospector
-Distant Melody

+Dack's Duplicate
+Goblin Lookout
+Rolling Earthquake
+Shield of the Avatar

Geosurge did have its moments, but it's simply not as good as the other rituals and finally goes away to make room for other cards.

Mogg Maniac looked fun as a Stuffy Doll Lite, but I found out that what makes the Doll good is the indestructibility. Having this effect as a one-shot thing doesn't really do much.

I didn't think I'd let Skirk Prospector go, ever, but it happened. Experience has taught me that I seldom want to sacrifice Goblins for just one mana. Ashnod's Altar is cool, this isn't. See you in a better place, buddy.

Distant Melody has felt redundant and kinda weak for some time, now. Nin rarely gets tucked away, so I almost always find the time to use her, making DM obsolete. Keep Watch is cheaper and can be used on an opponent's turn to catch up when I'm behind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dack's Duplicate just seems like an awesome card all around. Can't wait to play it.

I found out that Goblin Lookout exists when I was looking at Aggro_zombies's Nin list over here. My immediate reaction was: "By the Hammer of Purphoros! How did I miss this?!" It still is, actually.

Bought the new FTV Rolling Earthquake and this deck seemed like a perfect fit.

Shield of the Avatar is a blind shot right now. I was viewing the M15 spoiler with a friend and when we got to this, he said: "Well, surely you're gonna put it into your Nin, won't you?" I didn't think of it when I saw it spoiled, but decided to give it a shot. It's cheap, can be fetched by IgorTrinket Mage and it can mean shooting things without killing them, which sounds nice.

There are two cards I'm currently considering for this deck:

Wipe Away to have some Vindicate-like spell aside from Aftershock.
Past in Flames, so I can reuse all those juicy rituals and/or destruction spells once again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-03 8:19 pm 

Welp, might as well update this baby, since it's still active and very much kicking (ass) :D

I've been giving space to my other decks lately, but Nin is still up there, a trusty tramp's knife I can always rely on in the wilderness of metagame.

I should probably put that line in the OP :)

Anyway, m'girl here is going strong and she's got a few tweaks along the way:
Quote:
-Shield of the Avatar (not good enough)
-Izzet Keyrune (expensive, not needed)
-Vicious Shadows (too evil)
-Eldrazi Monument (found out evasion doesn't matter when you kill with numbers and indestructible doesn't matter when you have any spare creature to shoot with Nin :arrow: Quest is two times the bonus for fifth the price)
-Goblin Offensive (Hordeling Outburst was printed)
-Warren Instigator (it just wasn't happening, man)

+Beetleback Chief (more fodder!)
+Hordeling Outburst (three tokens for the price of...Goblin Offensive with X=0...yeah)
+Jeering Instigator (testing)
+Blasphemous Act ("What took you so long?!" -Stuffy Doll)
+Quest for the Goblin Lord (SGC gets this online almost by himself)
+Obelisk of Urd (testing)
Just finished a game by putting through 758 combat damage. Through a Propaganda. After nonchalantly killing off the first opponent with Lightning Crafter in the upkeep. Yep, Nin is a bitch. I love her :twisted:

Offline Profile