Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-19 12:07 am

Post subject: Ashling, the Burninator
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 3:53 am 

This deck is about fire. And burning things. And setting things on fire. It's also a deck that often gets loaned out to new players, so it's fairly simple and straightforward.

General (1)
Ashling the Pilgrim

Creatures (16)
BatterskullBogardan HellkiteChandra's PhoenixFire ServantFirewing PhoenixFlamekin HarbingerFlamewake PhoenixInferno TitanMagma PhoenixNova ChaserObsidian FireheartSoulbright FlamekinTyrant of DiscordShard PhoenixStigma LasherStuffy Doll

Equipment (10)
Basilisk CollarDarksteel PlateLoxodon WarhammerMagebane ArmorSwiftfoot BootsScythe of the WretchedSword of Fire and IceSword of KaldraSword of War and PeaceTenza, Godo's Maul

Planeswalkers (4)
Chandra AblazeChandra NalaarChandra, the FirebrandChandra, Pyromaster

Burn (14)
Anger of the GodsBurn AwayChandra's OutrageComet StormFlame WaveGhostfireInfernoMagmatic CoreMagmaquakeMolten DisasterPyrohemiaRed Sun's ZenithShrine of Burning RageTurn to Slag

Burn Enhancers (4)
Pyromancer's GauntletQuest for Pure FlameReverberateWild Ricochet

Artifact Removal (3)
DetonateInto the CoreVandalblast

Annoyances (3)
Burning EarthBurning SandsSmoke

Card Draw (3)
Moonring MirrorReforge the SoulStaff of Nin

Mana Accel (5)
Braid of FireCaged SunExpedition MapMana VaultSol Ring

Lands (37)
26× Mountain
DesertHellion CrucibleKher KeepScorched RuinsShinka, the Bloodsoaked KeepShivan GorgeSpinerock KnollTemple of the False GodTectonic EdgeThawing GlaciersValakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Updated for Fate Reforged

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Last edited by Willbender on 2015-Feb-21 2:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ashling, the Burninator
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 9:41 am 

First off, Akroma's Memorial. Protects all your creatures from massive burning charred death. Next, I would highly consider finding a spot for Red Sun's Zenith. It doesn't have fire in the title or picture, but a repeatable Fireball is still a repeatable Fireball. Staff of Nin seems like a good fit in this deck to get some more card draw.

Otherwise, I'm just surprised not to see Banefire and Bonfire of the Damned in this deck. Incendiary Command could be useful too.

Have you considered Hostility? I've always wanted to put that card into a deck...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 11:04 am 

Segrus wrote:
First off, Akroma's Memorial. Protects all your creatures from massive burning charred death.

Another legit option is to not run any creatures (or at least, very few).

Also, 37 lands isn't very many for Ashling... she's super mana thirsty...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 11:51 am 

Segrus wrote:
repeatable Fireball is still a repeatable Fireball.

More like a repeatable Disintegrate. Your point still stands though.

Also, the REAL burninator would like a word with you about your use of his name, Ashling...

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 12:00 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Segrus wrote:
repeatable Fireball is still a repeatable Fireball.

More like a repeatable Disintegrate. Your point still stands though.

True. If I built this deck I'd probably play Disintegrate just because the art is freaking awesome. It happens every time I build a deck with red in it, even in other formats: "Say, Disintegrate is red, right? I could totally put that into this deck, right?"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 1:48 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
the REAL burninator would like a word with you about your use of his name, Ashling...

I wish there were better mono-red legendary dragons to be Trogdor :(
Maybe I'll play Dragon Tyrant as a general...

Anyways, I'm not as a big a fan of single target X-spells as you guys seem to be (even with art as awesome as Disintegrate). Bonfire's ok, but it's not especially mana-efficient unless you miracle it... most of the time, I'd rather have Earthquake or Faultline.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 2:01 pm 

Kemev wrote:
I wish there were better mono-red legendary dragons to be Trogdor :(

My Karrthus deck has a Flameblast Dragon Trogdor. I picked FBD because I wanted to be able to burninate specific things (not relying on them blocking) and also players. If only he did the countryside too.

Kemev wrote:
Anyways, I'm not as a big a fan of single target X-spells as you guys seem to be (even with art as awesome as Disintegrate). Bonfire's ok, but it's not especially mana-efficient unless you miracle it... most of the time, I'd rather have Earthquake or Faultline.

They have their place, and RSZ/Disintegrate exile their victims, which is sometimes worth it, especially in mono-red, where you don't have efficient exile spells like StP. As far as red X sweepers go, my go-to is Molten Disaster, because I hate it when my opponents get to respond to my toilet flush by getting value. MD says that no, Azami, will NOT be drawing 10 cards in response, thank you very f*&*ing much, and you will NOT be gaining life in response to survive the spell I just sank all my mana into - you are DEAD! DEAD DEAD DEAD!!!!! BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 3:13 pm 

Kemev wrote:

I just like them better than Chandra's Outrage in this format, that's all. Although I might be harboring destructive tendencies, and big mana spells excites those tendencies.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-18 12:30 pm 

Sword of Fire and Ice both burninates and keep Ashling from burning herself up when you decide that the world should end in fire.

Braid of Fire is saucy when your commander is a mana sink.

Stuffy Doll isn't flame-retardant, it is flame-redirectant.

And if want people to understand why they shouldn't play with fire, make sure that they are aware of the possible Repercussions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-23 2:03 am 

Deck Changes:

Added:
Stuffy Doll - on a trail basis; fun for the nukes
Red Sun's Zenith - in over Devil's Play
Sword of Fire and IceSword of War and Peace - pro-red to avoid friendly fire
Staff of Nin - card draw
Wild Ricochet - one of my favorite cards (can't believe I forgot this)

Removed:
Purphoros, God of the Forge - enemies with Rite of Replication are more likely to win than me when I get this card out...
Devil's Play - out in favor of RSZ
Flametongue KavuPyroclasmRekindled FlameShower of Coals - needed to cut something to fit the new additions...

Need to find and put in:
Repercussion - Wow! Yes!

Addressing other suggestions so far:
Akroma's Memorial - Awesome in any deck, already have it in a few. Only reason it's not in is because I don't like using the same cards over and over.
BanefireBonfire of the Damned - Good options, but I've got enough X spells already, and don't think these would be improvements over the ones I have.
Incendiary Command - I don't think it's a stronger option than other cards I have.
Hostility - I like the card, but it doesn't fit in this deck; I want my fire to burn them, not be prevented!

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-23 2:15 pm 

Have you considered adding Satyr Firedancer? Seems like you can get a lot of value out of that card, particularly when combined with Repercussion (I burn your face, which burns your Creature, which burns your face some more).

(Also that Purphoros RoR interaction is very interesting! I should keep that in mind next time I play a Blue deck. XD)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 5:44 am 

Knightaru wrote:
Have you considered adding Satyr Firedancer? Seems like you can get a lot of value out of that card, particularly when combined with Repercussion (I burn your face, which burns your Creature, which burns your face some more).
I did consider him, but after the other cuts I made, there's only 8 cards left in the deck for him to interact with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 2:40 pm 

Knightaru wrote:

Actually, Repercussion works the other way around. If you burn face with something, nothing happens. If you burn a creature with something, Repercussion kicks in, but is not doubled by Satyr Firedancer.

But, if you really want to see the world burn: Furnace of Rath. I always love to drop that in a game and watch things get out of hand real quickly. Although, for a loaner, newer players might shy away from this.

By the way, f you're going to play Repercussion, play Blasphemous Act. It's a good sweeper anyway, but can kill people from very high life totals with Repercussion. Not that I'm usually for these kinds of things, but I killed a player on turn 4 once with t3 Repercussion, t4 Blasphemous Act. He had 3 creatures out and had used a fetch land.

Also, I can only agree with Kemev and say that your land count is on the low side, especially when you want the deck to be about Ashling. Either add a couple lands, or add some mana rocks.

Maybe remove some of the more annoying cards like Burning Earth or Burning Sands? I'm all for running Burning Earth if all you want is to get people as low as possible as fast as possible and you don't care about surviving (also the name is very thematic for the deck), but in my experience these red burn decks work best when people leave you alone for a bit and then you can burn them out before they know what hit them. If you go about dropping an early Burning Earth, you can count on getting targeted by everyone. And since you want to pump Ashling a lot too, you're going to damage yourself a lot. I'd rather run Price of Progress to punish the multicolor good stuff decks or Acidic Soil to punish the ramp player (or just as a finisher).

Some random other cards you might want to consider: Mana Geyser (to fuel BIG burn), Molten Primordial (it's not fire, but it lives IN it), Heartless Hidetsugu (not burn, but makes burning out people a loooooot easier).

Fun deck though, burning people rocks. Not everyone can appreciate getting burned out (I've had people ragequit over playing against my Ashling deck), but then again, these are often the ones playing GBW foodstuff decks which don't have a lot of answers versus spell based violence like this.

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-20 6:21 pm 

Updated for Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged:

In - BatterskullBurn AwayFlamewake PhoenixFirewing Phoenix
Out - Mimic VatMirariPunishing FireRadiate

Offline Profile