Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:48 pm

Post subject: 9-Rare Derevi
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-08 10:37 pm 

Okay, so I've been working on a list for Derevi, Empyrial Tactician for a while now in preparation for hopefully finding a new play group at some point. No, I'm not anti-social (as far as anyone can tell), I just initially wanted something with a little more bite without breaching too high a power level.

At first, I just threw every card into the deck I thought might be cool to play, and then play-tested the deck a few times. It did really well, almost too well, and I went back to see if there was a way I could make the deck more enjoyable. About this time, about three or four days ago (maybe?) I noticed an article on dailymtg with a question at the end of it: what are the best common and uncommon cards for Derevi? Contemplating this, I woke up the next morning and decided to see just exactly how many commons and uncommons I have in Derevi. The answer shocked me: there were upwards of 36 or 37 rares in the deck! Over a third of the deck made up of rares! It just hit me that all of these rares...a bunch of them were easily good-stuff cards!

I didn't want this deck to be this way. I want to be different. So here's my additional deck construction rules for this deck:

1) Only nine rares are allowed in the deck, and there must be exactly nine rares: Derevi, and one for each card type: planeswalker, creature, artifact, enchantment, instant, sorcery, tribal, land.

2) Rares with multiple card types are allowed, as long as they only represent one card type. Therefore, a rare artifact creature can count for either the rare creature or the rare artifact; if it counts for the rare creature, then there must be another, separate rare artifact (and vice versa).

No exceptions, not even so I can have all the Ravnican duals or something. If I want a rare in the deck, it's gotta be a good one.

Commander
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

Planeswalkers
Ajani Goldmane

Creatures
Acidic Slime
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Burnished Hart
Cloudgoat Ranger
Copperhorn Scout
Dawnglare Invoker
Elusive Krasis
Eternal Witness
Fallowsage
Imperious Perfect
Ivy Lane Denizen
Jhessian Infiltrator
Joraga Treespeaker
Juniper Order Ranger
Llanowar Elves
Mulldrifter
Nimbus Naiad
Pilgrim's Eye
Sage of Fables
Sakura-Tribe Scout
Silhana Ledgewalker
Skyward Eye Prophets
Stonybrook Schoolmaster
Sunblast Angel
Tandem Lookout
Thassa's Emissary
Trygon Predator
Wonder
Wood Elves
Woodvine Elemental
Zameck Guildmage

Artifacts
Behemoth Sledge
Chimeric Egg
Dragon Throne of Tarkir
Infiltration Lens
Nemesis Mask
Relic of Progenitus

Enchantments
Aura of Silence
Bident of Thassa
Bred for the Hunt
Curse of Predation
Mystic Remora
Oblivion Ring
Snake Umbra
Squirrel Nest

Instants
Arcane Denial
Bant Charm
Condemn
Counterspell
Deglamer
Plasm Capture
Rewind
Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries
Creeping Mold
Saltblast
Search for Tomorrow
Selvala's Charge
Summer Bloom
Supreme Verdict
Urban Evolution

Tribal
Notorious Throng

Lands
Azorius Chancery
Azorius Guildgate
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Faerie Conclave
Flood Plain
Grasslands
Opal Palace
Seaside Citadel
Secluded Steppe
Sejiri Refuge
Selesnya Sanctuary
Selesnya Guildgate
Simic Growth Chamber
Simic Guildgate
Temple of the False God
Terramorphic Expanse
Thawing Glaciers
Treetop Village
Vivid Creek
Vivid Meadow
6x Forest
5x Island
5x Plains

Thoughts? I thought about putting Chalice of Life in here, I've just been too lazy to go find one out of my collection. Lots of digging.

Last edited by Segrus on 2014-Oct-30 1:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 9-Rare Derevi
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 10:55 am 

It still seems like you have a lot of EtB/dies goodstuff guys. I don't think they and the flickering subtheme are ideal with Derevi... the tap/untap angle seems cooler to me. Here's a quick list of untapable commons and uncommons to amuse yourself and bedevil your opponents.

Copperhorn Scout
Beacon Hawk
Gustcloak Cavalier
Patrol Signaler
Scryb Ranger
Stonybrook Schoolmaster
Reconnaissance
Diversionary Tactics (you'd rather have Opposition, but Tactics is uncommon)
Ghostly Touch
Hands of Binding
Hidden Strings

The new inspired guys that make tokens (Aerie Worshippers, God-Favored General, Pheres-Band Raiders) are all amazing, and anyone who disagrees is a communist. Sphinx's Disciple has a lot of potential too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 11:45 am 

Kemev wrote:
It still seems like you have a lot of EtB/dies goodstuff guys. I don't think they and the flickering subtheme are ideal with Derevi... the tap/untap angle seems cooler to me. Here's a quick list of untapable commons and uncommons to amuse yourself and bedevil your opponents.

Copperhorn Scout
Beacon Hawk
Gustcloak Cavalier
Patrol Signaler
Scryb Ranger
Stonybrook Schoolmaster
Reconnaissance
Diversionary Tactics (you'd rather have Opposition, but Tactics is uncommon)
Ghostly Touch
Hands of Binding
Hidden Strings

The new inspired guys that make tokens (Aerie Worshippers, God-Favored General, Pheres-Band Raiders) are all amazing, and anyone who disagrees is a communist. Sphinx's Disciple has a lot of potential too.

Yeah, I noticed while play-testing they didn't seem to do quite enough, and I believe you're right about switching over to more actual tap/untap effects. The really good flicker effects tend to be at rare, such as Deadeye Navigator. Enclave Cryptologist is on my list of cards I either need to find in my collection or find at a LGS.

It wasn't exactly easy to narrow down the rares I have in the deck. I ran across my singleton of Fable of Wolf and Owl yesterday, and realized I might enjoy that more than Glare of Subdual, even though Glare is definitely better in most decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-14 9:32 am 

Okay, so I finally went through the majority of my collection and tried to rework the whole strategy of the deck. Hopefully this will do a little better than the previous incarnation, or at least allow the deck to lose with some dignity. I don't claim these changes are all good, I just want to do something different. So some of them may seem like no-no's at the get-go. There's not a particular order to this.

- Acidic Slime
- Flickerwisp
- Jolting Merfolk
- Meadowboon
- Mistmeadow Witch
- Oathsworn Giant
- Peregrine Drake
- Qasali Pridemage
- Winged Coatl
- Witch Hunter
- Basalt Monolith
- Selesnya Signet
- Simic Signet
- Sol Ring
- Control Magic
- Glare of Subdual
- Pollenbright Wings
- Presence of Gond
- Krosan Grip
- Remand
- Explosive Vegetation
- Wash Out

+ Stonybrook Schoolmaster
+ Rust Scarab
+ Aerie Worshippers
+ Pheres-Band Raiders
+ God-Favored General
+ Fallowsage
+ Sakura-Tribe Scout
+ Sage of Fables
+ Soltari Priest
+ Guiding Spirit
+ Soltari Monk
+ Viridian Longbow
+ Mystic Speculation
+ Nemesis Mask
+ Confiscate
+ Fable of Wolf and Owl
+ Bred for the Hunt
+ Vodalian Illusionist
+ Tandem Lookout
+ Wrap in Vigor
+ Seek the Horizon
+ Reinforcements

Honestly, the flicker package stunk to high heaven. This isn't the deck for it--if it were, Roon would be much better here instead of Mikaeus. So after looking at all of the cards I might possibly put into this deck, I made my decision after seeing Sage of Fables and Bred for the Hunt: these two cards sealed the deal for trying for a more +1/+1 counter theme, and both of them drawing me cards seemed win-win. Some of the other cards I chose I'm hoping will help facilitate that, such as Wrap in Vigor (instant 2 CMC wrath counter) and Nemesis Mask. A lot of them are just good/great untap targets. Choices were also made slightly on cost. Remand, while a great card, was only really put in because it is a great card. Costing ~$20 helped push me over to dropping it. I'm being to want this deck to be cheap as well effective, mostly due to how much cost really plays into the process for deckbuilding. Unfortunately, I'll have to make a whole lot of other changes if I want to get this deck much cheaper--mainly knocking off all of the cards costing $2 or more (which includes Isochron Scepter, something I'm hoping to get a whole lot of use out of and keep in as a valid untap target).

Fable of Wolf and Owl is in for the moment, but I might put Glare of Subdual back in due to the number of token generators.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-14 10:51 am 

If you're doing a token subtheme and a +1/+1 counter theme, Cathars' Crusade feels like a natural fit.

Simic Guildmage loves him?/her? some counters too.

And I'd lose Gideon in favor of the orginal Ajani Goldmane - his second ability could be really good for you.

Also have you considered Gavony Township over Thawing Glaciers?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-14 11:29 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
If you're doing a token subtheme and a +1/+1 counter theme, Cathars' Crusade feels like a natural fit.

Simic Guildmage loves him?/her? some counters too.

And I'd lose Gideon in favor of the orginal Ajani Goldmane - his second ability could be really good for you.

Also have you considered Gavony Township over Thawing Glaciers?

These themes seem like my best bet with the deck with trying to cut down the number of rares in the deck. I could be wrong, but I haven't really gotten an epiphany about the deck yet.

While typing up the last changes I made, Gavony Township did come to mind. My problem is this: Gavony Township, Cathars' Crusade, and Ajani Goldmane are all in like three other decks and probably a couple in my Cube. Jeezy-chreezy I don't know if I want to go find another of each of them. Ajani is probably the better of them, but I literally didn't see another planeswalker without a deck spot when I looked through rares. Currently, it'll just remain a place-holder until further notice. The Township is a real toss-up for me. Thawing Glaciers just seems SO good with Derevi, and having happened to have an extra floating around in my collection was perfect timing. Once I actually get the chance to see Thawing Glaciers in action, I'll make my judgment then.

I'll definitely put the Guildmage near the top of the list of other creatures I want to put into this deck after some others get the guillotine. Coiling Oracle, I'm looking at you!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 9:10 pm 

So I finally got around to making some changes with this deck. Hopefully, it'll perform a little better.

- Patagia Viper
- Archaeomancer
- Vodalian Illusionist
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Soltari Monk
- Krosan Restorer
- Soltari Priest
- Azorius Charm
- Selesnya Charm
- Squelch
- Mystic Speculation
- Isochron Scepter
- Fireshrieker

- Gideon, Champion
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch
- Stolen Identity
- Mirrorweave

+ Burnished Hart
+ Centaur Omenreader
+ Guardian of the Guildpact
+ Ivy Lane Denizen
+ Juniper Order Ranger
+ Lorescale Coatl
+ Sky Hussar
+ Species Gorger
+ Wood Elves
+ Bant Charm
+ Aura of Silence
+ Frozen Aether
+ Mystic Remora

+ Garruk Wildspeaker
+ Sunblast Angel
+ Plasm Capture
+ Supreme Verdict

The Isochron Scepter plan was nice, but it didn't work out. I'm going for more protection in this deck, and sorta overlooking how much the added cards cost this time. I considered going with a weird Astral Slide deck, because it'd be awesome to make that in EDH; however, I think it would be better to work on that longer. Most of the changes, therefore, are card draw and protection/mass removal. I really want to keep Mikaeus in the deck, but Sunblast Angel is going to be so much more useful. The other cards involve random tricks.

I did notice I have a ton of Cathars' Crusades in other decks, so I'm continuing to refrain. I'm still not sold on Gavony Township over Thawing Glaciers, so that's still pending. I hope to get to test this deck again sometime soon and see if these changes help.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-10 8:42 pm 

I've updated this list with all of the previous changes, plus some changes from JIN. My feeling is this deck still needs some more...something. I think if I'm not satisfied with the current build, I'll probably try some combination of unblockable creatures and Heroic. It'll allow me to retain the +1/+1 counter sub-theme I have going while giving me something interesting to do with it. I suspect a lot of the rares will stay the same, although I might end up trying to find a cheap Ajani Goldmane to replace Garruk (as suggested previously). It has come to the point I really need to breath life into this deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-30 1:08 pm 

Another update:

- Darksteel Axe
- Bonesplitter
- Elixir of Immortality
- Flurry of Wings
- Fable of Wolf and Owl
- Seek the Horizon
- Garruk Wildspeaker

+ Dragon Throne of Tarkir
+ Woodvine Elemental
+ Deglamer
+ Saltblast
+ Creeping Mold
+ Urban Evolution
+ Ajani Goldmane

I'm going to try out the Parley ability and see if I like in. Ajani is a better planeswalker, although I kinda wonder if Mentor of Heroes might be better. Urban Evolution is because I desperately need more card draw. Deglamer, Saltblast, and Creeping Mold are being added to combat specific strategies.

Glacial Chasm kicked my butt tonight, and I'd like to avoid that again if possible. Thirty minutes or so of sitting around, drawing cards, and doing absolutely nothing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-31 8:52 am 

I hope you believe me when I tell you I did not expect Glacial Chasm to be such a showstopper for you. I haven't played the card in ages after all.

Good changes there, I find Urban Evolution to be a great card, should prove itself shortly :)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-01 5:03 am 

You could put in Strip Mine and/or Wasteland to deal with Glacial Chasm, they are both uncommons.
Those too seem kind of like cheating your original design so maybe something like Bramblecrush might be a better choice. Its nice that it can hit planeswalkers too.
Feast of Worms is kind of neat too.
Beast Within would work as well but it's another goodstuff card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-03 12:17 am 

Wolfram wrote:
You could put in Strip Mine and/or Wasteland to deal with Glacial Chasm, they are both uncommons.
Those too seem kind of like cheating your original design so maybe something like Bramblecrush might be a better choice. Its nice that it can hit planeswalkers too.
Feast of Worms is kind of neat too.
Beast Within would work as well but it's another goodstuff card.

Creeping Mold is my Bramblecrush at the moment. I looked briefly for one of my floating Bramblecrushes, but nothing turned up at first glance. This'll have to do for now.

And yes, Strip Mine and Wasteland are both a little out of the spirit of the deck even if they both qualify under the deck restrictions. If I absolutely have to go back and add them in, then I will to make the deck function.
Antis wrote:
I hope you believe me when I tell you I did not expect Glacial Chasm to be such a showstopper for you. I haven't played the card in ages after all.

Good changes there, I find Urban Evolution to be a great card, should prove itself shortly :)

I'm not so convinced the Parley cards are going to be good, but I'll have to wait and see. The Dragon Throne should come in useful, although I have a feeling it may only provide a +1/+1 or +2/+2 on average. That being said, the trample will probably be worth it. Urban Evolution might not last too long, but I won't know until later.

Offline Profile