Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 9:54 pm

Post subject: Toshiro Umezawa - Mono-Black Ultrabudget
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-18 4:40 pm 

A side project of mine for a while. The deck is a mono-black creatureless control with Toshi at the helm flashing back all my instants with every Morbid trigger. Okay, it's not technically creatureless, but Kuon, Ogre Ascendant usually doesn't stay a creature for long, and he's an alternate commander for when I feel like mixing things up. The deck is (intentionally) janky as hell and is budget not by necessity, but by philosophy. The whole thing cost about twenty-six bucks to put together with the cards I already had. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the whole thing costs a little under forty bucks on paper.

Commander
Toshiro Umezawa

Creatures
Kuon, Ogre Ascendant

Instants
Tendrils of Corruption
Withering Boon
Vendetta
Tainted Pact
Geth's Verdict
Hero's Demise
Smother
Slaughter
Murder
Tribute to Hunger
Hatred
Dismember
Go for the Throat
Tragic Slip
Victim of Night
Grim Return
Moonlight Bargain
Crypt Incursion
Cremate
Ad Nauseam
Slaughter Pact
Death Wind
Grisly Spectacle
Annihilate
Hideous End
Dark Ritual
Reckless Spite
Imp's Mischief
Devour in Shadow
Suffer the Past
Terror
Diabolic Edict
Shred Memory
Fated Return

Sorceries
Chainer's Edict
Liturgy of Blood
Black Sun's Zenith
Killing Wave
Mutilate
Smallpox
Corrupt
Beacon of Unrest
Life's Finale

Enchantments
Demonic Rising
Curse of Death's Hold
Underworld Dreams
Painful Quandary
Null Profusion
Genju of the Fens
Night of Souls' Betrayal
Polluted Bonds
Tainted Aether
Gravestorm
Nihilistic Glee

Artifacts
Lux Cannon
Staff of Nin
Glaring Spotlight
Altar of Shadows
Phyrexian Totem
Elbrus, the Binding Blade
Ratchet Bomb

Lands
Swamp x34
Bojuka Bog
Temple of the False God
Cathedral of War

Primary win-con is Genju, a bunch of bleeder enchantments, or hell, 11-turn clock with Toshi if I have to. This is primarily my silly casual deck that I pull out when everyone wants to play something janky like Red Chaos Effects and stuff. As such, upgrading is low-priority to preserve the "So Bad it's Good" feel of the jank, but tips and suggestions are always welcome.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Last edited by Zirilan of the Claw on 2014-Feb-03 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Toshiro Umezawa - Mono-Black Ultrabudget
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-19 3:11 am 

There's a lot more you can do here without spending a lot more money.

Both Consume the Meek and Hideous Laughter work well with Toshiro, and if you've got any friends who like equipment, Murderous Spoils is a blowout. Darkblast is also surprisingly strong in EDH, since it's an easy way to off multiple Lotus Cobras or Fauna Shamans or other annoying utility dorks that you'd rather not spend a whole card on.

There are also a few good black card draw instants you might consider, like Ad Nauseum, Moonlight Bargain, Necrologia. Even getting 2-for-1s out of most of your removal, there's still a good chance Toshiro can run out of cards before the rest of the table runs out of creatures. There's also Skeletal Scrying, which is a bit weaker here than in some other black decks since you can recur a lot of your cards anyway, but it's strong with Darkblast. You could also add Insidious Dreams, which is a nice way to set up a big Null Profusion.

There are a couple other solid rituals you could add (Cabal Ritual and Spoils of Evil), and Black Market seems pretty decent here.

Imp's Mischief is a cool card, and if you've enjoyed it, you might be interested in some of black's other trickeries like Darkness, Nemesis Trap, Sudden Death, or Sudden Spoiling. And Kor Dirge is a funny way to protect your general (although Undying Evil might be better).

It looks like this list is short on ways to close out the game, which is a problem if you kill everyone's stuff and stall out the board. The easiest way to for a black creature-less deck to close out the game is Exsanguinate. It's a bit of a boring staple, but it's the best at what it does, and I'd play it over Corrupt - as long as there's more than 1 opponent in the game, Exsanguinate is almost always going to give you a better return on your mana.

Shriveling Rot could be another option for a finisher, and Hatred might get you there with general damage if you just have to finish off 1 person (Hatred's probably the most expensive card I've mentioned so far - it's still just $3-4 though).

Also: Shred Memory. It's a great utility card!

I listed off a ton of card to add and not really any suggestions for cuts; I think in general your sorceries and enchantments aren't bad, but for the most part they don't really fit your general's theme either, and I don't think you need them for power reasons. I'd keep Black Sun's Zenith and Smallpox (and add Exsanguinate), since you can tutor for them with Shred Memory. I'd also keep Null Profusion, Night of Soul's Betrayal, Curse of Death's Hold, and Altar of Shadows (and add Black Market), since they all fit with your deck's core plan. Any of your other sorceries or permanents that you don't think are pulling their weight could easily be replaced with instants.

I don't really understand what Oppression is doing in your deck. It seems like you're going to play a lot more spells than your opponents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-19 4:53 am 

If you cast something out of your graveyard that has buyback, can you buy it back to your hand? It looks like it works since the general says "if it would be put in your graveyard this turn, exile it instead." Right? so you buyback and then it doesn't get exiled?

Anyway, you've already got slaughter in there...

... and, wow, there's a grand total of 3 black instants with buyback

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-22 8:52 am 

Kemev wrote:
Both Consume the Meek and Hideous Laughter work well with Toshiro, and if you've got any friends who like equipment, Murderous Spoils is a blowout.

Consume the Meek I remember costing a lot more than it actually does for some reason. Probably pick one up with my Theros orders. Hideous, eh, maybe. Spoils I skipped since I'm usually the only one in my group that runs equips.
Kemev wrote:
There are also a few good black card draw instants you might consider, like Ad Nauseum, Moonlight Bargain, Necrologia. Even getting 2-for-1s out of most of your removal, there's still a good chance Toshiro can run out of cards before the rest of the table runs out of creatures. There's also Skeletal Scrying, which is a bit weaker here than in some other black decks since you can recur a lot of your cards anyway, but it's strong with Darkblast. You could also add Insidious Dreams, which is a nice way to set up a big Null Profusion.

Scrying and Necrologia I both cut. The first was always a tough tradeoff and the Necro retains its timestamp, which is difficult, though not impossible, to work with Toshi's trigger. Ad Nauseam I totally forgot was an instant and should definitely be in here. The rest are pretty solid and at least worth trying.

Kemev wrote:
Black Market seems pretty decent here.

Yes it does. Sadly it is an eight-dollar card and I don't have one on hand.

Kemev wrote:
Imp's Mischief is a cool card, and if you've enjoyed it, you might be interested in some of black's other trickeries like Darkness, Nemesis Trap, Sudden Death, or Sudden Spoiling. And Kor Dirge is a funny way to protect your general (although Undying Evil might be better).

Spoiling and Darkness are good, but both are four bucks each. If I had them on hand I'd run them, but I'm not too keen on trying to order or trade for them, especially considering they aren't THAT important to the deck. The rest of these I all tried at some point or another and found them underwhelming.

Kemev wrote:
It looks like this list is short on ways to close out the game, which is a problem if you kill everyone's stuff and stall out the board. The easiest way to for a black creature-less deck to close out the game is Exsanguinate. It's a bit of a boring staple, but it's the best at what it does, and I'd play it over Corrupt - as long as there's more than 1 opponent in the game, Exsanguinate is almost always going to give you a better return on your mana.

Corrupt is getting run for removal and lifegain [extra Tendrils, essentially] rather than as a closer, but I am short on finishers. Been tossing a few ideas around for that, and I will admit to rolling my eyes at the prospect of running Exsang. If it comes to that, sure, but still...

Kemev wrote:
Also: Shred Memory. It's a great utility card!

This is a good idea. Normally I don't really care for running tutors, but I find this interesting.

Kemev wrote:
I listed off a ton of card to add and not really any suggestions for cuts.

I have a few in mind. This deck changes constantly.

Kemev wrote:
I don't really understand what Oppression is doing in your deck.

It pitches well, combos pretty well with Slaughter, helps set up a finisher with Painful Quandary, and most of the time I can play around it much easier than my opponents. It also features the 7th ed. Western Paladin, the coolest Legend to never get a Legendary card. It does, however, lock me out of playing Null Profusion, which is a better fit for the deck, and I have no way to get rid of it when I don't need it anymore short of a very slow Lux Cannon. It is up for review at the moment.
mmcgeach wrote:
If you cast something out of your graveyard that has buyback, can you buy it back to your hand? It looks like it works since the general says "if it would be put in your graveyard this turn, exile it instead." Right? so you buyback and then it doesn't get exiled?

Yes, it works like that, and yes, Slaughter is the only one that is worth a damn for this deck.

EDITS: - Dash Hopes, + Elbrus, the Binding Blade
Dash Hopes I found in a pile of old stuff a little while ago and decided to give it a shot. I wasn't really impressed. I had five Elbruses in one of my old books and need more closers, so I'm gonna try it for a few games and see what happens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-27 6:45 pm 

Considered any of the following:
Sphinx-Bone Wand cast an instant, do damage!
Snuff Out "free" instant.
Contagion, same.
Rend Flesh (helps reduce number of "target non-black...")
Reliquary Tower (nice with Necrologia)
Phyrexian Totem avoids most of your -1/-1 counters
Mishra's Factory Manland avoids most of your -1/-1 counters
Spawning Pool Manland avoids most of your -1/-1 counters
Beacon of Unrest at the rate you are killing things, this can help you get something bigger into play, and it shuffles back in!
Thawing Glaciers (to reduce land draws, and keep hitting those instants)

Special Mention for Word of Command, I know it's expensive, but it fits

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-28 12:27 am 

I know you want as little creatures as possible, but just for the hell of it, Chimney Imp should be in here. Also, I would find SOME janky way to abuse it. I'd leave that to you though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-29 5:22 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I know you want as little creatures as possible, but just for the hell of it, Chimney Imp should be in here. Also, I would find SOME janky way to abuse it. I'd leave that to you though.

Chimney Imp + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Phyrexian Altar + Hex Parasite? One mana or two life per draw step to keep an opponent locked out of the game. In a pinch, you can mega-sac Impster to zilch everyone's hand and then swing with a big ass robot bug. All on-color too.

On the one hand, if you're running Dark Mike and Phy Altar, you could be doing far more game-breaking things than this. On the other hand, if you ever needed an excuse to throw good ol' Chimney Imp into a degenerate Dark Mike combo deck...

Chimney Imp: now 300% more useful than Razor Boomerang!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-18 11:25 am 

EDITS:
- Subversion, - Treacherous Urge, - Liliana of the Dark Realms, - Oppression, - Darksteel Ingot, - Barter in Blood, - Ultimate Price, - Chill to the Bone, - Expunge, - Swamp x2, + Doom Blade, + Hatred, + Nihilistic Glee, + Ratchet Bomb, + Beacon of Unrest, + Phyrexian Totem, + Shred Memory, + Ad Nauseam, + Moonlight Bargain, + Temple of the False God, + Cathedral of War

For the most part, functional swap-for-swaps. Beacon, Totem, and Hatred all add wincons, which the deck was lacking. Looking at my incredibly beat-up Temple of the False God from my Onslaught Block days reminds me that using sleeves turns out to be a really good idea. Not nearly as bad as my scuffed and untradable Glimmervoid, but still.

On another side note, this is probably going to be the only fair inclusion of Ad Nauseam you will ever see in a commander deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-03 9:48 am 

EDITS:
- Doom Blade (forgot to list, but it was there), - Underworld Connections, + Life's Finale, + Fated Return

Connections I needed for a Standard deck (it's not actually MBD). Fated Return was tailor-made for this list.

Offline Profile