Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:44 am

Post subject: Oona, Queen of the Fae - Combo
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-31 1:18 am 

Hey all, so this is my first deck i actually spent some time on. I previously had a Reaper King deck and that was pretty fun. However my play group felt a bit more competitive then my Reaper deck could handle, so I went and built this. We generally play with 3-4 people per game. I am looking for any suggestions that you all may have in improving this. I'd really like to streamline this deck as much as possible. With the exception of the ABU Dual's and things like Imperial Seal etc, I am willing to invest a fair amount into this if it is necessary.

General
Oona, Queen of the Fae

Lands
Island x 6
Swamp x 2

Creeping Tar Pit
Darkslick Shores
Darkwater Catacombs
Dimir Guildgate
Drowned Catacomb
River Delta
River of Tears
Underground River
Vivid Creek
Watery Grave
Command Tower
Exotic Orchard
Gemstone Mine
Reflecting Pool
Tolaria West
Halimar Depths
Bojuka Bog
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Academy Ruins
Riptide Laboratory
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Cavern of Souls
Mystifying Maze
Maze of Ith
Vesuva
Ghost Quarter
Tectonic Edge
Strip Mine

Mana Accelerators / Fixers
Everflowing Chalice
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Grim Monolith
Basalt Monolith
Thran Dynamo
Doubling Cube
Expedition Map
Dimir Signet
Gilded Lotus

Tutors
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Beseech the Queen
Diabolic Revelation
Insidious Dreams
Lim-Dul's Vault
Muddle the Mixture
Dimir House Guard

Draw/Deck Manipulation
Brainstorm
Visions of Beyond
Sensei's Divining Top
Scroll Rack
Phyrexian Arena
Rhystic Study
Blue Sun's Zenith

Planeswalkers
Tezzeret the Seeker
Liliana Vess
Sorin Markov

Creatures
Consecrated Sphinx
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Magus of the Future
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Grand Architect
Pila-Pala
Phyrexian Metamorph
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Baleful Strix
Arcanis the Omnipotent
Deadeye Navigator
Palinchron
Phantasmal Image

Enchantments
Future Sight
Mind Over Matter
Power Artifact
Copy Artifact
Propaganda
Dream Tides
No Mercy
Leyline of the Void

Other Artifacts
Helm of Obedience
Temple Bell
Witchbane Orb
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Sculpting Steel
Pool of Knowledge
Cloud Key
Rings of Brighthearth

Sorcery
Bribery
Acquire
Fabricate

My big concern is the lack of counter magic in this deck. I am not sure what to cut, if anything to open slots. If I were designing this deck around 1 v 1, I would imagine I'd almost have to add some. I have cards like Hinder, Spell Crumple, Rewind, Remand, Force of Will, and Pact of Negation available if needed.

Any recommendations would be more than welcome. I'd really like to polish this deck up, streamline it, and finalize the list somewhat so I can move on to creating a more casual deck (Blue Braids :-) )to bring along with me the next time my group plays. A big thank you for any and all suggestions.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Oona, Queen of the Fae - Combo
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-04 3:21 pm 

If you're ready to invest money in streamlining your deck, your mana base is probably the place to start, especially since you've got a lot of enter-tapped duals. I'd say a Watery Grave, Reflecting Pool, and Ancient Tomb would all be worthwhile. Oona's a general that can benefit from the legal moxen (Chrome, Diamond, Opal), and if you add opal, you'll probably want a Vault of Whispers and Seat of the Synod to help keep it active.

Ashnod's Altar and Phyrexian Altar are really powerful with Oona active. In the event that you can't successfully assemble an infinite mana loop, you can still mill opponents to death by activating Oona for as much as you can, then feeding the Faerie tokens to the altar to keep milling your opponents. It's not necessarily a guaranteed kill, but it will usually finish off any 1- or 2-color decks at the table.

Adding a ton of artifacts does open you up to artifact sweepers... Yawgmoth's Will is the easiest way to recover.

Chef wrote:
If I were designing this deck around 1 v 1, I would imagine I'd almost have to add some [counter magic].

Yes. Your most likely cuts would be Bribery and Acquire, since in 1v1 there's no guarantee that you'd have worthwhile targets for them. Meanwhile, everyone has targets for Force of Will.

You may want to consider cutting some of your higher CMC creatures and artifacts as well (including dropping the Teferi/Pool lock). Not only would it free up slots for counters, but if you bring down your deck's average CMC enough, you could potentially slot in Ad Nauseum.

Offline Profile