Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rakdos, Lord of Riots EDH Suggestions ?
AgePosted: 2013-Feb-05 12:12 am 

Sinis wrote:
Further, a reanimation substrategy is also good in Rakdos; you can fill your yard with wheels and Faithless Looting, and then dump them out with the mass reanimate spells, or individual targeted stuff.

Yawgmoth's Will is fantastic for this if you can crank out a lot of mana and drop Rakdos. I've managed to cast Will and cast all the creatures in my graveyard on the same turn thanks to Rakdos. It's a shame the scariest Eldrazi get shuffled back in libraries!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-13 3:24 am 

Mage of Rage wrote:
Sinis wrote:
Further, a reanimation substrategy is also good in Rakdos; you can fill your yard with wheels and Faithless Looting, and then dump them out with the mass reanimate spells, or individual targeted stuff.

Yawgmoth's Will is fantastic for this if you can crank out a lot of mana and drop Rakdos. I've managed to cast Will and cast all the creatures in my graveyard on the same turn thanks to Rakdos. It's a shame the scariest Eldrazi get shuffled back in libraries!

Mmmmm... I was running Twilight's Call, Living Death and Balthor the Defiled to recover from mass removal, but it seems I missed this. This is going in my list, for sure.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-01 6:31 am 

I've been putting together a Rakdos deck based on the info in this thread. It seems like a pretty fun idea with the possibility of some killer/swingy plays, and it highlights a lot of damage-everybody cards that otherwise seem hard to utilize effectively.

Some cards I found to be awesome:

rakdos charm - this is a pretty common include in decks of this color, but here the third modality is really synergistic with the general.
burnt offering - this is fantastic. play out something like an Artisan of Kozilek for free, then sac it for the R/B you need to do something really insane.

Two problems I've had:

1) opponent's lame threat assessment. They think I'm the threat the turn after I manage to get Rakdos in play. Not the Riku combo player untapping with 7 land, a gilded lotus and mana reflection. :/
2) inability to seal the deal: My strongest plays have been living death or twilight's call, but then I reanimate myself into a fantastic board position and have to pass the turn. Then someone else wins or wraths again before my next turn.

I feel like the deck becomes sort of a fatty-toolbox. My best creatures are big free ETB triggers, like rune-scarred demon or dread cacodemon or the big eldrazi. The variety of fatties available is a little disappointing. What are effective secondary plans? I've thought of:

cloudstone curio combos: bounce two eldrazi ftw? Re-use bogardan hellkite and rune-scarred demon?
heretic's punishment : leverage the high converted mana cost of cards?
repercussion combo?

I dunno how I feel about adding in lame two-card combos, but I feel like the deck needs a little more subtlety somehow.

Cards I thought would be good and weren't:

bogardan hellkite : 5 damage is not a lot. Once it's in play it's kinda lame. Also you probably have to cast it on your second main phase to benefit from cost reduction, which is when the surprise factor is least.

vedalken orrery : Man, this seems like it should be awesome. I mean, I could cast creatures on opponent's end steps for cheap after one attacks the other. Just doesn't happen, too much to set up.

How have others fared with this general?

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-01 10:14 am 

pandemonium
furnace of rath
baneful omen
wound reflection

Ok the last two will kick in ot EoT but can still cause a lot of damage.

also deathbringer thoctar seems like it belongs here, as does lightning reaver

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-03 11:01 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
I've been putting together a Rakdos deck based on the info in this thread. It seems like a pretty fun idea with the possibility of some killer/swingy plays, and it highlights a lot of damage-everybody cards that otherwise seem hard to utilize effectively.

Some cards I found to be awesome:

rakdos charm - this is a pretty common include in decks of this color, but here the third modality is really synergistic with the general.
burnt offering - this is fantastic. play out something like an Artisan of Kozilek for free, then sac it for the R/B you need to do something really insane.

Two problems I've had:

1) opponent's lame threat assessment. They think I'm the threat the turn after I manage to get Rakdos in play. Not the Riku combo player untapping with 7 land, a gilded lotus and mana reflection. :/
2) inability to seal the deal: My strongest plays have been living death or twilight's call, but then I reanimate myself into a fantastic board position and have to pass the turn. Then someone else wins or wraths again before my next turn.

1. I played Repay in Kind to even the playing field once I stabilized. You'd be surprised how quickly things would turn against your opponents. Since many people took Rakdos to be the Archenemy of ANY table, I got huge mileage out of Repay, often dealing 50+ damage total against a 3 person table. Also, it rammed any life gain pretty hard, or could be used before your attack step once you've bashed a player to near-death.

2. There are a bunch of ways of handling this.
a) Firstly, haste is powerful. Urabrask the Hidden got the nod in my deck, so when I mass rezzed, I could come out swinging hard. Mass Hysteria might also be worthwhile, for that R cost.

b) Second, when I played the deck, I had some 'combo' finishes; typically it would involve Stalking Vengeance, and a way of sacrificing creatures without limit (I used Greater Gargadon). After a mass rez, this kind of combo could very easily finish the job. People would die if you brought everyone low with Repay in Kind, especially just before a Kokusho sacrifice.

c) Finally, I also played Final Fortune and Last Chance. It's not everyone's flavour of risk, but, people will clap if you bring them down with it. If they fog, there's always next game. Also, if a Rune-Scarred Demon gets rezzed, you can easily grab an extra turn and fight it out.

You could also go in a more combo oriented direction. You could use cards like Flame Rift, Price of Progress and Breath of Malfegor to set up a massive Cryptborn Horror or Maga, Traitor to Mortals, and then use Fling, Essence Harvest, Soul's Fire and the like.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 6:17 am 

Sinis, thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. thedarkheart, thanks for a random list of cards. Actually I might try pandemonium. Although it's so hard to get Rakdos in play, and people are so afraid of him, that I assume everyone will just torpedo Rakdos with their pandemonium triggers ASAP.

So, apropos of nothing, I had a good game with this deck last night. I was playing against Ruric Thar and Lazav and Uril. I had a hand that played out seven land and a gilded lotus, with harvester of souls w/ lightning greaves as my only threat. The guy in front of me played Vorinclex. I couldn't get through with harvester of souls, but I could hardcast Kozilek, equip lightning greaves, and attack mr. Vorinclex with both. He goes down to 4 land which puts him at roughly the same mana as the rest of the table now. The other two guys tap out with Vorinclex in play and the Vorinclex guy casts Ruric Thar again. I don't get to untap my land, but I untap the guilded lotus. I draw demonic tutor. I attack with both the Kozilek and the Harvester of souls, connecting for 17 total damage. I tutor for burnt offering. I sac Kozilek with burnt offering, adding 2 red and 8 black. The Lazav player has Lazav become a hexproof Kozilek. I cast Rakdos, Lord of Riots for the first time. 6 black left. I cast kokusho. 4 black left. I cast rune-scarred demon. 2 black left. I tutor for Kozilek. I cast Kozilek. I draw and cast Duplicant, exiling Vorinclex. I have to pass. I take an attack from Lazav-Kozilek and sac some land and block with Kokusho. The table concedes.

Moral of the story: giant eldrazi, and vorinclex, are dumb.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 10:50 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
Sinis, thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. thedarkheart, thanks for a random list of cards. Actually I might try pandemonium. Although it's so hard to get Rakdos in play, and people are so afraid of him, that I assume everyone will just torpedo Rakdos with their pandemonium triggers ASAP.

This is eventually why I stopped playing Rakdos, just before Dragon's Maze arrived. Rakdos is polarizing; any derpy creature can be enough to light a fire for Rakdos, and Rakdos is a tide of ridiculousness if you can play him. I think Pandemonium will prevent you from ever playing Rakdos.

The last few games before I dismantled the deck, I had people remove literally everything I played, from Tormented Soul to Rakdos himself, to all my black mana sources. It was fun to be the archenemy in the mid-game, with armies arrayed out (and yours being naturally stronger and more rapidly deployed), but when it happens before your first turn, it starts to get tiresome. The problem became that I was unable to play or attack with anything, and even the 'catch-er upper' technology in Repay in Kind became worthless; from the get-go, people would hold removal for Rakdos (or really, any of your creatures), and it would become an uphill battle. Everything became a 'kill it with fire!' target. If I had a less than spectacular game, so much the worse: I wouldn't be able to get anywhere at all, and it just became no fun.

So, (and this is weird advice to be sure, but) beware about making your deck too good, or too fast. Rakdos is great if people leave you alone, but the more you play it, and the more consistent your deck becomes, the more hate you'll get. At some point, you won't be able to even move.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 11:12 am 

There was a cool RB Kaervek deck with a CMC-matters theme a while back... I think it'd be easy to add a lot of those elements to Rakdos.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-06 4:13 pm 

Play Rakdos 1.0 instead with some recursion tricks and discard. Don't cast him til you know you can connect without some combat trick or removal screwing you over... Good times.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-12 7:28 am 

Some updates. I won a game off rise of the dark realms -> kaervek the merciless and sire of insanity. Sire of insanity is a bonafide bomb people were positively terrified of. Switching out twilight's call for rise of the dark realms seems like it was the right move. Rise is pretty clearly what you want to ramp into, in almost any mid-game board state, but I'm sure it'll become a staple and people will get tired of it eventually.

I took out wheel of fortune, stalking vengeance, twilight's call, blasphemous act, vedalken orrery, bogardan hellkite.

Added yawgmoth's will, all is dust, disaster radius, vampiric tutor, xathrid demon, burnished hart, and rise of the dark realms.

Not sure if all those are upgrades, but I did drop stuff I was sort of surprised was performing terribly. I wanted to power up the deck and make it able to respond to more situations, so the extra tutor and yawgmoth's will went in. Similarly, I dropped some of the more conditional and cute cards (hellkite, stalking vengeance, vedalken orrery). As a nod to the high-casting cost theme, I went to disaster radius instead of blasphemous act. I need to get another Urabrask, that's one I meant to include. I might drop heretic's punishment, that has not been good yet, so I'm sort of on the fence with the high-casting cost idea.

I liked some of the ideas from the kaervek thread on high-casting cost cards; but a lot of that is also top-deck manipulation, and my top-deck manipulation cards are in my rubinia and melek decks. I guess I like the idea of the high-casting-cost theme, except that I don't think I want to marry it to the top-deck-matters theme in this deck. It seems like the deck already has two competing themes: 1) the fatty-toolbox and 2) the cheap cards that hurt everyone and enable your general. So I think adding 3) high-CC-matters cards and 4) top deck manipulation is too much.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-15 10:59 pm 

I got inspired by http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/commander/24913-Dear-Azami-Returning-To-Ravnica-With-Rakdos-Lord-Of-Riots.html <== this article on SCG, and despite the out of date-ness it still gave a fair few ideas. My own deck's only had one actual game, it needs testing and tweaking still but some potential ideas from there, friends and my own exploration have gone in. These are just suggestions and personal preferences, ignore as much as you want to.

- Platinum Emperion/Platinum Angel Helps protect your board when inevitably you become the target. Both also can be cast for free! Only have the former, only one's probably needed
- Pestilence Demon - Pestilence on a creature, and 1 less mana with discounts. Pay B, get 3 colourless mana seems to be nice. Can also sweep the little annoying things.
- Furyborn Hellkite RRR, 12/12 Flying.
- Artisan of Kozilek - I don't run the big three Eldrazi out of a lack of £, but this works too. Again, free, and recurs a big thing from the graveyard. Pair with Warstorm Surge and start giggling at the amount of mana you could feed to Maga. (I need a Maga)
- Knollspine Dragon - A hand refill, potentially explosive again with the amount of damage the decks can do. For RR.
- Choice of Damnations - One of the personal preferences. Give your opponents the choice of how much mana to give you. And if they get cocky? Annihilate their board instead. 6-8 should unlock most of your creatures for low cost, and the deck can push through for that bit extra if needs be.
- Pain's Reward - Card draw for you, potentially. Or let someone else have it, and you can trigger some free mana. Allows you to summon Lord of Riots for 3 mana. It just feels so much fun, it's in the style of Browbeat - give *them* the option.
- Game of Chaos. Yet to test this properly, but it triggers Rakdos for 3 mana, again. Conservative play nets you 1 free point of mana. Rakdos also only cares about how much life is lost, not the difference in life totals. If an opponent loses the first toss but wins the second, they're up net 1 life, but still lost 1 life. Rakdos triggers. Pair with Exquisite Blood and double your lifegain when you win.

The last two cards feels a bit Christmassy, but dammit I'm going to include it. Praetor's Grasp and North Star. Read North Star first, it's a bit compex. The two together is expensive as all hell to pull off in one turn, if only there was a way to discount creature cards. Wait a minute...

Let's use a card that's the bane of many people. Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. 8UU. So you pre-empt the issue by nicking it out of their deck. Now you can cast it, if you had blue mana. Except you don't. That's where North Star comes in. Put it in, trigger, and now the next spell can be played with any colour of mana. Throw in the discount from Rakdos, and you can cast their Jin-Gitaxias for 2 mana. For me, that is what EDH is all about, the unexpectedly awesome.

Hopefully that makes sense, apologies if it does not. Ideally, you'd protect it with things like Reverberate or Wild Ricochet to deal with the countermagic. Or Red Elemental Blast.

So yeah, thanks for all the ideas, collective posters. Hopefully this has been useful as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 12:46 pm 

I've kept at this deck, its a fun sort of different kind of thing to do. I like that it's really aggressive and uses cards that would otherwise suck (x damage to everything spells). And it has the potential for huge combo-y turns that result in insane plays.

Example insane play: Use some combination of rune-scarred demon, artisan of kozilek, disciple of bolas, and burnt offering. E.g.: Start with Rakdos and plague spitter. Attack with Rakdos. That's a discount of 9. Play rune-scarred demon for 2 black. Tutor up Disciple of Bolas. Play that, sac rune-scarred demon. Draw Artisan of Kozilek. Play Artisan for 0. Return rune-scarred demon, tutor for Burnt Offering. Burnt Offering rune-scarred demon for 6 black + 1 red. Play out your hand: play Kokusho (2 black), psychosis crawler (free), Kaervek the Merciless (1 black 1 red), Sheoldred, whispering one (2 black). Next turn use Sheoldred's trigger to return rune-scarred demon, tutor up yawgmoth's will, attack + replay everything from the yard.

rakdos, lord of riots:
colorless creatures
kozilek, butcher of truth
ulamog, the infinite gyre - the two biggest baddest dudes
it that betrays - next eldrazi worth running
artisan of kozilek - reanimation is great!
platinum emperion - handy insurance against some stuff we run
steel hellkite - destroys enchantments
duplicant - free removal
stuffy doll - combo with pestilence effects and blasphemous act
psychosis crawler - enabler
solemn simulacrum
burnished hart - free ramp

colored / bomb creatures
dread cacodemon - board wipe
pestilence demon - enabler
sheoldred, whispering one - reanimation; strong board presence
kaervek the merciless - probably the BEST board presence
knollspine dragon - potentially awesome with psychosis crawler
balefire dragon
rune-scarred demon - ETB value
herald of leshrac - disruptive fatty, and only costs {b}!
xathrid demon - this sac ability is a good enabler and sac outlet
massacre wurm - this should add reach + lifeloss
sire of insanity - a positively terrifying bomb!
kokusho, the evening star - LTB value
harvester of souls - draw
witch engine - converts colorless into {b}{b}{b}{b}
bloodgift demon - draw / enabler
urabrask the hidden - haste
blood speaker - seven demons, plus the general
anger - haste
disciple of bolas - the BEST black creature?

enablers
heartless hidetsugu - man, nobody ever lets this guy survive to activate
pestilence
pyrohemia - pestilence effects are fantastic
lobber crew - really just made for this general
plague spitter - baby pestilence effects still fantastic
browbeat - people usually let you draw if Rakdos is in play
rakdos charm - generally good; 3rd mode turns on Rakdos
price of progress - lots of damage for 2 mana.

card draw
promise of power - try to play turn two after swamp -> sol ring -> coldsteel heart turn one.
memory jar - crack this post combat with rakdos in play
ancient craving
dark prophecy - great wrath insurance, generally good value.
phyrexian arena
faithless looting - discard outlet to combo with living death, etc.

utility spells
rise of the dark realms - a lot better than twilight's call, and only 1 more mana!
blasphemous act - combo with repercussion, stuffy doll, and sweep the board.
all is dust - enchantment hate, combo w/ it that betrays.
living death - a sweeper and a recursion engine
vedalken orrery - kind of like haste. Gets really strong if you play against Nekusar.
repercussion - makes blocking generally irrelevant; provides reach.
fervor - haste is good
yawgmoth's will - you can "cast" from the GY so Rakdos' discount applies. This is truly awesome here.
cloudstone curio - provides a combo win with multiple eldrazi; also just value for ETB guys.
demonic tutor
lightning greaves
burnt offering - the MVP of the whole deck. Might also want sacrifice.
vampiric tutor

ramp
gilded lotus
chromatic lantern
darksteel ingot
coalition relic
coldsteel heart
fellwar stone
rakdos signet
talisman of indulgence
dark ritual - sacrifice might be better, but still strong here.
sol ring
chrome mox - all ramp needs to produce colored mana

utility land
homeward path - i don't want my fatties getting stolen.
leechridden swamp - this is hard to use as an enabler since you need 2 black permanents in play. Shivan gorge might be better; but doesn't produce colored mana.
spinerock knoll - free spells!
lavaclaw reaches - a man-land can help activate rakdos after a wipe.
bojuka bog - need this alongside living death.

land
command tower
bloodstained mire
badlands
blood crypt
graven cairns
rakdos carnarium
akoum refuge
dragonskull summit
tainted peak
shadowblood ridge
tresserhorn sinks
urborg volcano
9x sawmp
5x mountain

Deck Considerations

Haste: You want haste; but on the other hand, you want to be able to get damage in before combat so that you can play big fatties for free, and then attack with haste. The problem is you usually have to attack with rakdos to get a cast-discount, and by then the attack step has passed so playing out cheap guys with haste is irrelevant. Pre-combat damage sources are best; but I don't want to run crap like breath of malfegor cause spending 5 mana on that effect is too many: it doesn't leave enough room for casting colored creatures.

Devotion cards: I think these can actually be pretty good; If you've got some enchantment or something in play + Rakdos himself, plus a gray merchant is at least 4 devotion to black. On the other hand, these seem win-more sometimes: like they're only good with a huge board presence, when basically anything is good. Mogis's marauder's timing is a little odd. It has the "haste problem" in this deck, hardcore.

Sac outlet: maybe it needs another sac outlet. Like phyrexian altar or disciple of griselbrand.

Single card Considerations:

Purphoros, god of the forge might be a good enabler here; although, this isn't a token deck. Purphoros is still probably good enough, if you want to try it.
Subversion: expensive, but a good enabler once its in play.
wurmcoil engine: probably the best colorless creature not already included. Good for its ability to provide some board presence after a wrath.
maga, traitor to mortals. Right, it works THAT WELL. Except it sort of just puts one guy out of the game immediately, then sits there with no evasion. Cryptborn horror might be better for trample.
staff of nin / skullclamp : next best card draw options? Skullclamp is basically wrath insurance here; staff of nin is expensive but doubles as an enabler.
Scourge of Kher Ridges : probably just if you play against token decks a lot.
Bogardan Hellkite : this is a lot worse than it looks. Its too expensive to play w/o a discount, and if you have to play it post combat to get the biggest discount, that's when the flash/surprise factor is least effective.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-26 11:11 am 

I have a Rakdos deck with of course the same synergies in mind. Mine is kinda pure Rakdos, philosophically, in that I don't care who wins as long as there's a lot of damage.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/there-wi ... 5-12-13-1/

There are a few good cards to get in 1 damage and be able to cast Rakdos: Piranha Marsh, Blightspeaker, Kyren Sniper. Price of Progress and Flame Rift do crazy amounts of damage in a 4 player game. There are also multiple ways to get universal haste, and multiple ways to prevent life gain.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-26 2:19 pm 

You know, there's some cards in your list I really like. There's other cards that I think could just be improved (like, you're missing lobber crew AND plague spitter, both of which are strictly superior to kyren sniper). But if you're trying to not care about the list; and also not be competitive; and thirdly make it be an all-group-damage-don't-care-if-I-win thing, I dunno if advice is really relevant.

I like:

Warstorm surge / wound reflection : these are good; I think I overlooked these cause I have them in another deck. Not sure if I want to have ANOTHER warstorm surge deck. But, really, it merits serious consideration.

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen : Theoretically a cool way to get damage in with the landfall trigger, which can happen before combat. I used to play him; but I decided it was too slow, and too little impact in the mid-game / late-game.

Quicksilver Amulet : nice backup plan to cheat out fatties.

ps. That is a LOT of lifegain hosers in your deck. Does everyone in your group play Oloro?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-26 3:03 pm 

mmcgeach wrote:
You know, there's some cards in your list I really like. There's other cards that I think could just be improved (like, you're missing lobber crew AND plague spitter, both of which are strictly superior to kyren sniper). But if you're trying to not care about the list; and also not be competitive; and thirdly make it be an all-group-damage-don't-care-if-I-win thing, I dunno if advice is really relevant.

ps. That is a LOT of lifegain hosers in your deck. Does everyone in your group play Oloro?

Plague Spitter is probably better, don't have one though. I definitely have a Lobber Crew, and yeah maybe that should go in. If I were trying to be really competitive with this deck I'd get a Kozilek and Ulamog, and Blight/Darksteel Colossus, etc.

The lifegain hosers are because there are quite a few Oloro decks since the precons came out, but also for monoblack exsanguinate decks (if it drains everyone for lethal it's still good, but can't use exsanguinate to pad your life total), plus Filigree Angel, plus a mono W soul sisters-type deck.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next