Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-25 6:53 pm

Post subject: Adun Oakenshield Wither/Infect
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-16 7:51 am 

Hello all, this is a very rough draft of a deck i have been working on since SoM came out. I aways liked wither and adding infect is like that with the added bonus of extra way of winning the game with poison. Adun Oakenshield seemed a good choice for a general as this deck will draw a lot of hate and getting creatures back will be nice. Also added cards like Mage Slayer to get around blockers and such. Advice welcomed.

General:1
Adun Oakenshield

Wither Creatures:5
Necroskitter
Boggart Ram-Gang
Midnight Banshee
Kulrath Knight
Hateflayer

Infect Creatures:14
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
Necropede
Plague Stinger
Tangle Angler
Tel-Jilad Fallen
Vector Asp
Blackcleave Goblin
Cystbearer
Blight Mamba
Contagious Nim
Corpse Cur
Hand of the Praetors
Ichor Rats
Ichorclaw Myr

Deathtouch Creatures:5
Vampire Nighthawk
Thornweald Archer
Pestilent Kathari
Deadly Recluse
Acidic Slime

Other Creatures:5
Vigor
Carnifex Demon
Wickerbough Elder
Skinrender
Quillspike

Equipment:6
Grafted Exoskeleton
Mage Slayer
Viridian Longbow
Bladed Pinions
Whispersilk Cloak
Demonspine Whip

Artifacts:8
Trigon of Rage
Trigon of Infestation
Trigon of Corruption
Contagion Engine
Contagion Clasp
Cauldron of Souls
Mind's Eye
Expedition Map

Enchantments:7
Rancor
Doubling Season
Flourishing Defenses
Fevered Convulsions
Everlasting Torment
Crumbling Ashes
Blowfly Infestation

Spells:11
Demonic Tutor
Overrun
Terminate
Regrowth
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Giant Growth
Carrion Call
Incremental Blight
Instill Infection
Tainted Strike

Land: 36 (Work in Progress)

Let me know what everyone thinks.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Adun Oakenshield Wither/Infect
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-17 9:07 am 

Found a Surestrike Trident in a bin today. This could replace the longbow or Bladed Pinion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-16 5:46 am 

I know this thread is old, but I was searching around for just this interaction: wither/infect with stuff like kulrath knight and midnight banshee and necroskitter. This just seems like such a cool interaction, and something to do in Jund that doesn't (necessarily) revolve around sac and reanimation.

There aren't many Jund generals that would plausibly support this kind of plan, and I agree that Adun Oakenshield is probably the most appropriate.

Does anyone else (or the original poster) have more results with this kind of strategy?

I think there's a few more recent printings that might have good synergy here:

black sun's zenith
phyrexian crusader
grave betrayal
mikaeus the unhallowed
harbinger of night
plaguemaw beast
melira, sylvok outcast

I think my first inclination would be to cut most of the marginal infect dudes, the death touch dudes, and some of the equipment; and make room for more control elements (like I've listed) or maybe some doublestrike stuff like...

armed / dangerous
savage beating
wrecking ogre

which combined with an infect guy should be enough to put someone out of the game.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-20 3:33 am 

It looks like the original list by the original poster was compiled after only the first set of the recent mirrodin block; so there's since been two additional sets of infect-based stuff that warrants consideration. With that in mind, I threw together a list that I feel could be a good starting place:

key creatures:
Necroskitter
Midnight Banshee
Kulrath Knight
Carnifex Demon
Harbinger of Night
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

infect creatures
Phyrexian Crusader
Plaguemaw Beast
Phyrexian Hydra
Core Prowler
Phyrexian Swarmlord
skithiryx
Viridian Corrupter

creatures : -1/-1
Soul Snuffers
Hex Parasite
Grim Poppet
Wickerbough Elder

creatures better with infect
Savageborn Hydra
Hateflayer
Pestilence Demon

creatures +1/+1 based
Vigor
Forgotten Ancient
Scavenging Ooze
Fertilid

utility creatures
Harvester of Souls
Gleancrawler
Charnelhoard Wurm
Wrecking Ogre
Garruk's Packleader
Disciple of Bolas
Indrik Stomphowler

key non-creature effects
Black Sun's Zenith
Contagion Engine
Crumbling Ashes
Fevered Convulsions
Grim Affliction
Grave Betrayal
Incremental Blight
Everlasting Torment

creature buffs
Glistening Oil
Grafted Exoskeleton
Curse of Predation
Savage Beating
Lightning Greaves
Skullclamp
Grappling Hook
Warstorm Surge
Bow of Nylea
Nature's Will

staples
Dark Prophecy
Demonic Tutor
Living Death
City of Solitude
Wheel of Fortune
Rise of the Dark Realms
Rescue from the Underworld
Deadbridge Chant

ramp
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
skyshroud claim
Wood Elves
Farhaven Elf
Solemn Simulacrum
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot

For right now, I'm looking at balancing some strategies:

Infect, wither, -1/-1 counters: the basic idea is to put -1/-1 counters on everything, and then steal all the creatures with Necroskitter or Grave Betrayal. So it seems cool to include stuff that also interacts with -1/-1 counters like Mikaeus, the Unhallowed : letting all your guys come back repeatedly; or Grim Poppet and Wickerbough Elder. There's also some more marginal ones like moreselhoarder, but that doesn't look all that good.

Infect creatures themselves: most of the creatures printed with infect seem terrible, so I found like 7 I wanted to include. I don't really want to do a weenie swarm thing. I'm just skeptical that would work out.

+1/+1 counters: these offset the -1/-1 counters, obviously. Vigor seems like a bomb, although sort of a nonbo with Everlasting Torment. Curse of Predation should be interesting if everyone is getting -1/-1 on all their creatures.

doublestrike, creature buffs: it seems like doublestrike is about the best thing to give a creature that already has infect; and why not give a creature that has doublestrike infect? I'm leaning toward doublestrikers that are creatures like Avatar of Slaughter and Wrecking Ogre since they can be picked back up with Adun Oakenshield. I would like to see infect on a Pestilence Demon - that seems cool to me; but I think i'd rather not try to put in on something like Heartless Hidetsugu. Maybe Scourge of Kher Ridges or Flameblast Dragon might be good. Although there aren't that many ways to give creatures infect, so I want to limit the number of cards that are only good once given infect.

staples: I want the deck to, you know, work. But I don't want to include a ton of staples that don't really have anything to do with the theme. And man, there are a lot of staples in green and black. But I'm trying to skip stuff that is just way better in a kresh deck, like, say, Greater Good and Sneak Attack.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-06 4:24 am 

Well, I sleeved this up pretty similar to how it's listed there, and got in some games against Oloro(s) and Jeleva(s). Apparently everyone at the LGS decided to build either Oloro or Jeleva. Some things I noticed:

Bow of Nylea is really good. Giving attacking creatures death touch is awesome. Especially if you attack with inferno titan, or (less good) pestilence demon. I haven't gotten bow + pestilence demon + vigor yet, but that should be entertaining.

Forgotten Ancient was good. Moving those counters onto infect guys was a serious threat.

Curse of Predation is fun.

Dusk Urchins belongs in the deck. Dusk Urchins + Black Sun's Zenith turns BSZ into a wrath/braingeyser combo.

Fevered convulsions was terrible. Man. I know it looks bad, but, it's worse than that.

Infect itself was really good. It's a nice counter to the Oloro decks building up 100 or more life. And it makes two or three attack steps matter, if I can get in with a couple 2/2 infect guys. Which seems like where I want a creature strategy to be: if I can get in 3 good attacks on someone, that should end the game. That gives them enough time to find blockers and wraths and whatnot, but makes attacking more relevant than it is if you're trying to deal 40 damage.

Doublestrike was not as cool as I thought it would be. Really I'd need doublestrike + trample + infect to have seriously dangerous creatures. I probably need more haste enablers, too. I'll drop the emphasis on doublestrike.

The deck needs some card advantage. I'm going to increase the emphasis on ETB creatures and include birthing pod, mimic vat, and minion reflector. I wanted this deck to be less good than my other decks, but, you know, not this bad. Also minion reflector + infect dudes seems fun, to throw hastey infect tokens at people.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-14 5:32 am 

I've played this a few times now and it's holding up pretty well. Will put up complete updated list later.

For now, consider this awesome play, by, you know, someone else.

I have Mikaeus, the unhallowed, stalking vengeance, hateflayer enchanted with glistening oil, and wood elves in play. My opponent plays Toxic Deluge for 5 life. What happens?

a) everything dies, everything but mikaeus comes back, and hateflayer deals six poison to the idiot with the toxic deluge from the stalking vengeance trigger. Mikeaus deals 5 to someone and the elves does 1. Glistening oil returns itself to my hand.

b) mikaeus's +1/+1 applies to the hateflayer, elf, and stalking vengeance. Only Mikaeus and the elves die, and the elves then comes back.

c) Mikaeus and the elves are reduced to 0/0 creatures, that die. Stalking vengeance triggers, but Mikaeus's power at the time it hit the yard was 0, and so it does 0 damage. Stalking vengeance and hateflayer are reduced to 0/0 creatures that get +1/+1 while Mikaeus is in play. The instant Mikaeus hits the yard, Stalking vengeance and hateflayer lose +1/+1 and also lose undying, and are buried as a state-based effect. They don't come back, and since they died with zero power, don't trigger stalking vengeance. The only thing that comes back is the wood elves, with a +1/+1 counter.

Ok, so, I think you all know what the correct interpretation is. So toxic deluge is awesome, right? Immense flexibility! It's true, and I agree.

The bad thing was I had a contagion engine in play, and on end-of-turn activated it to double proliferate my opponent's poison counters to 4, and the wood elves to a 1/1 with 3 +1/+1 counters on it. I untap and re-cast glistening oil on the elves, double-proliferate with the contagion engine again, and swing for six poison.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-17 6:08 am 

decklist:

adun oakenshield

creatures (-1/-1 or +1/+1)
scavenging ooze
dusk urchins
phyrexian crusader
necroskitter
core prowler
forgotten ancient
harbinger of night
wickerbough elder
plaguemaw beast
kulrath knight
phyrexian hydra
skithiryx, the blight dragon
phyrexian swarmlord
carnifex demon
midnight banshee
vigor
grim poppet

creatures (etb)
viridian corrupter
ichor rats
eternal witness
disciple of bolas
soul snuffers
phyrexian delver
gruul ragebeast
rune-scarred demon

creatures (utility)
creakwood liege
garruk's packleader
silklash spider
inferno titan
harvester of souls
mikaeus, the unhallowed
hateflayer
stalking vengeance
pestilence demon

creatures (ramp)
sakura-tribe elder
farhaven elf
wood elves
yavimaya elder
yavimaya granger
fertilid
solemn simulacrum

spells
black sun's zenith
living death
rise of the dark realms
primal surge

card advantage
skullclamp
mimic vat
dark prophecy
birthing pod
minion reflector
wild pair
deadbridge chant

permanents
heartless summoning
crumbling ashes
glistening oil
everlasting torment
curse of predation
bow of nylea
grafted exoskeleton
nature's will
contagion engine
warstorm surge
grave betrayal

mana
sol ring
golgari signet
darksteel ingot

kessig wolf run
hall of the bandit lord
oran-rief, the vastwood
raging ravine
bojuka bog

command tower
savage lands
badlands
tiaga
bayou
overgrown tomb
stomping grounds
golgari rot farm
rakdos carnarium
gruul turf
woodland cemetery
tainted woods
llanowar wastes
karplusan forest
sulfurous springs
mossfire valley
shadowblood ridge
golgari guildgate
temple of the false god

4 x forest
3 x swamp
2 x mountain

I haven't done a primal surge deck before, and this seemed like a good target. Although, its pretty tough to limit oneself to so few spells.

The general is a pretty decent play after a board wipe. Somewhat more useful than I thought it would be. Usually regrows ~1 creature per game to good effect.

Gruul ragebeast should be hilarious with infect, vigor, or everlasting torment in play. Haven't gotten to test that yet, tho.

Minion reflector, mimic vat, and wild pair actually are pretty good even if you're not abusing ETB creatures. Just getting extra hastey attackers with infect is pretty strong. That said, Ichor rats has been an MVP.

Deadbridge Chant + Scavenging ooze has been fantastic. I eat my own graveyard and am assured of getting something I want into play.

Its been surprisingly fun to play this. I recommend it to anyone looking for something different, and, in a way, simple.

Offline Profile