Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 9:03 am

Post subject: Criminally underrated/underused/unknown cards.
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-14 11:37 pm 

Every now and then when building an EDH deck, I come across an old or 'binned' (in my mixed colour sorted bin) card that looks merely interesting, and decide to throw it in a deck. A lot of times it turns out to be crap, or there's a reason why everyone seems to have forgotten it exists. Maybe it's hard to find, or it's from an early set- or maybe it just never gets used. But quite frequently it is a card that- especially in commander- is amazing in the format, and can be a top tier pick for one's deck.

For me, that card is Veiled Sentry, which I came across while sorting through a box of old cards I'd bought on Ebay a couple months back. At first I'd dismissed it- I've got lots of old boxes with 'opal' cards- enchantments that turn into creatures, and I never really ran any of them back when the Urza's trilogy they came from was being released. Didn't think they were very good, especially against cards with 'abilities' and the like.

But when I found it recently I took the time to actually read over what it does, and thought "I wonder if there are more of these?"

Ten bucks later spent on MTGO, and I have all of the cards from that cycle- Opal, Veiled, Hidden in white/blue/green respectively. Some are good, some are crappy and conditional, and some are merely annoying. Deck testing was fun and definitely a change up from the normal distribution of creatures/enchants/everything else.

And then over time I pruned out the ones that didn't perform so well, made decks in only one of those colours I looked for spots to put them in, and eventually pared them all down until I wasn't really considering to run any of them.

Except for the Sentry. Testing and play has seen it as consistently top notch, easily worth it's value. While a savvy opponent could kill it with an ornithopter, generally it's too cheap CMC wise (costing U) to 'waste' enchantment removal on, and when they play their commander and it turns into a 7/7 creature, it's no longer an enchantment and becomes a major threat.

And now any blue deck I make I try and find room for it- it's always a joy to draw because you never know what your opponent will play that will trigger it- how big or how small it will be, and it's always fun and refreshing when it goes off.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Criminally underrated/underused/unknown cards.
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 12:55 am 

Spreading Seas is a card that I wished people used more often. It
-Shuts down annoying lands like Cradle or Maze
-Replaces itself, so it's not card disadvantage
-Best used in a Merfolk deck or a deck piloted by Sygg, River Guide, Wrexial, or Thada Adel, the Acquisitor because island walk.

Some other cards like it:
Fanatic of Mogis: I know it's not as good as it's merchant brother in black, but that's a damn good effect. Get that in with Kiki Jiki and Purphy and you've got yourself the match.

Cloudthresher, Tornado Elemental, Arbor Colossus: Fliers are mean and common. Great ways to fight them (not to mention Green's only creature removal) is great too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 1:36 am 

Suture Priest
Kor Sanctifiers
Leave No Trace
Reprisal
Soltari Visionary
Echoing Truth
Urborg Syphon-Mage
Cackling Fiend
Hissing Iguanar
Lobber Crew
Stingmoggie
Wickerbough Elder
Plummet
Crushing Vines
Calming Verse
Fangren Marauder
Fertilid
Prismatic Lens

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 3:45 am 

I think we had a thread about this somewhere in the past.

Stonecloaker is one that I've busted out on people and had them go "wait, what's that?". People tend not to see it coming, and it's great for disposing of Eldrazi in response to their trigger or countering a Reanimate. Also lets you recycle your ETB effects in a pinch. See also: Dust Elemental.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 4:13 am 

Withering Boon
It ought to be renamed "Sucker Punch" since no one ever sees it coming.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 9:25 am 

False Orders is an excellent triple-duty card that lets you mess up someone else's combat tricks, kill off an annoying creature, or make a creature suddenly become unblocked. Sometimes you can even do 2 or 3 of the above at the same time.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 12:10 pm 

some I like...

walking atlas, awesome with card draw
fatestitcher, blue mana trick
political trickery, ditto
nature's will, really strong in any aggressive deck
ashes to ashes, really cheap exile removal
pestilence, just shuts down so many utility guys and tokens
devout witness, value town

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 12:24 pm 

Kerrus wrote:
For me, that card is Veiled Sentry, which I came across while sorting through a box of old cards I'd bought on Ebay a couple months back. At first I'd dismissed it- I've got lots of old boxes with 'opal' cards- enchantments that turn into creatures, and I never really ran any of them back when the Urza's trilogy they came from was being released.

...Ten bucks later spent on MTGO, and I have all of the cards from that cycle- Opal, Veiled, Hidden in white/blue/green respectively. Some are good, some are crappy and conditional, and some are merely annoying. Deck testing was fun and definitely a change up from the normal distribution of creatures/enchants/everything else.

And then over time I pruned out the ones that didn't perform so well, made decks in only one of those colours I looked for spots to put them in, and eventually pared them all down until I wasn't really considering to run any of them.
Opal Acrolith does great work in my Doran, deck. The ability to turn off creature based removal at will is pretty good. Dodges (creature) sweepers like a boss, and then when people start rebuilding you've got your guy back.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 4:03 pm 

I am a huge fan of finding quirky cards to use, so I had to rein in my choices here to not fill up too much space.

Absolute Grace / Absolute Law - these are ridiculously cheap for their effect, and can turn the game upside-down

Intrepid Hero - I've had people laugh so hard when I play this until they think about it

Descendant of Soramaro - probably as close to a 'staple' card as I get - and if your hand is big enough, it's like a repeatable pseudo-tutor

Chamber of Manipulation - haven't had a chance to play this too much yet, but each time, it was busted

Intimidation - just good (80% unblockability or so)

Mindmoil - dig, dig, and more dig + always casting the best card in your hand

Budoka Gardener - early to mid game ramp, late game huge beaters, and almost never rates a kill spell

Grim Feast - I followed this with a Living Death once.. that was pretty nutty

Leonin Sun Standard - any deck with white that wants to win some combat steps.. seems fairly common

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 7:06 pm 

Caustic Wasps is pretty much the same thing as Trygon Predator but you don't have to be in blue.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 7:41 pm 

I like Abe Sargent's series on criminally underused cards. I was just looking at some old lists for card suggestions, and I came across this beauty: Bösium Strip.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-16 7:25 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:

Excuse me while I add to this all-star list (because I agree with practically every selection on this list):

Suture Priest (This fellow needs extra mention, like you have no idea)
Stingerfling Spider
Mossbridge Troll
Whirlwind
Woodripper
Temporal Isolation
Wing Shards
Agonizing Demise
Suffer the Past
Ceta Sanctuary (I've found all but the White and Black one's are rather good)
Crypt Incursion has become my new favourite GY hate. I win games off that back of it way, way too often.

I could go on for a long time, but these are some of my fave's.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-16 11:35 pm 

Harsh Mercy

Great for casual, and if you built for it - it is nearly always one-sided...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-18 11:30 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I think we had a thread about this somewhere in the past.

Stonecloaker is one that I've busted out on people and had them go "wait, what's that?". People tend not to see it coming, and it's great for disposing of Eldrazi in response to their trigger or countering a Reanimate. Also lets you recycle your ETB effects in a pinch. See also: Dust Elemental.

Thats funny, Stonecloaker is considered a staple in the last 2 different playgroups I had :P Everyone who played white plays it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-18 2:01 pm 

tempesteye wrote:
Withering Boon
It ought to be renamed "Sucker Punch" since no one ever sees it coming.

I actually play Withering Boon ahead of Go for the Throat in my non-blue black decks. The game has reached the point of development where a terror-analog is far less effective than a bad counterspell at combating a Sylvan Primordial (or really any card with consequences that you can't otherwise deal with), and the 3 life loss is just worth eating.

Of course, it's just sad when your opponent has Cavern of Souls.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile