Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-17 11:12 am

Post subject: Playtime's over - Rakdos, Lord of Riots
AgePosted: 2013-Nov-18 8:26 pm 

Hi guys!

I've built this deck a month or two ago and finally I've got to the point where it began to be hard to add new cards, so I decided that's the time I post it here. Rakdos began as an excuse to play Lightning Bolt in Commander (that's a good reason, right?) and it grew onto me quickly and I've come to enjoy playing it very much. First the list, thoughts follow. Stay tuned :D

Card groups are:
-Enablers, whose main purpose is to ping someone to get Rakdos out
-Meteors, who dish out a lot of noncombat damage to cheapen my creatures
-Armada, who ARE the creatures I want to cheapen
-Recursion/Draw/Tutors/Ramp/Control/Haste/Manabase are self-explanatory

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (as himself)

Enablers:
Lightning Bolt
Rift Bolt
Staggershock
Cunning Sparkmage
Pestilence (DUAL: Semi-Meteor)
Pyrohemia (DUAL: Semi-Meteor)
Enslave (DUAL: Stealing)
Staff of Nin (DUAL: Draw)
Inferno Titan (DUAL: Armada)
Sorin Markov (DUAL: Meteor)
Magmatic Force (DUAL: Armada)
Nether Traitor
Dauthi Slayer
Dauthi Marauder
Piranha Marsh
Shivan Gorge

Meteors:
Comet Storm
Exsanguinate
Fanatic of Mogis
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Temporal Extortion
Master of Cruelties

Armada:
Mindclaw Shaman
Bloodgift Demon (DUAL: Draw, also a last-resort Enabler)
Urabrask the Hidden (DUAL: Haste)
Underworld Cerberus (DUAL: Recursion)
Kokusho, the Evening Star (DUAL: Meteor, though somewhat unreliable in that regard)
Molten Primordial
Sheoldred, Whispering One (MULTI: Control/Recursion)
Kaervek the Merciless (MULTI: Meteor/Control)
Rune-Scarred Demon (DUAL: Tutor)
Myojin of Night's Reach
Reiver Demon (DUAL: Control)
Ulamog's Crusher
Pathrazer of Ulamog
It that Betrays
Maga, Traitor to Mortals (DUAL: Meteor (and wincon by himself :twisted: ))

Recursion:
Raise Dead (I own a Beta copy. That's a good enough reason in Commander, don't you agree?)
Phyrexian Reclamation
Death Denied
Gravedigger (aka Hamlet)
Diabolic Servitude
Living Death
Yawgmoth's Will

Draw/Ramp/Tutor/:
Skullclamp
Sign in Blood (DUAL: Enabler, last-resort type)
Memory Jar
Null Profusion
Blood Speaker
Diabolic Revelation
Pilgrim's Eye
Burnished Hart
Solemn Simulacrum

Haste:
Lightning Greaves
Mogis's Marauder
Fervor

Control:
Oblivion Stone
Nevinyrral's Disk

Other:
Pain Magnification
Savage Beating
World at War

Manabase:
Rakdos Keyrune
Foriysian Totem
Lands...

My general strategy is to cast an enabler before my fourth turn, then Rakdos, then, if he survives, attack with him and follow with nastiness. From my experience, people generally hesitate with wrath effects when I manage to cast Rakdos on my fourth turn (happens most of the time), since on one side, they would really like him dead, but it's often too soon for them, since most players feel bad for wrathing a single creature. Since Rakdos himself is a considerable beater, he can manage with little support, so the other creatures are there more for that purpose, with ETB triggers and stuff. I mostly cast them post-combat anyway.
The deck is currently kinda light on removal, which I intend to fix in time. There are a lot of cards I want to add and that list grows by the minute, but I hit the "What-to-let-go?" ceiling sooner than I expected. I was toying with the thought of a light discard theme, which you can see in Pain Magnification, but again - space limitations. Help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Card choices:
I'm inclining more to the Raise Dead-styled recursion here than straight reanimation, since it's cheaper and Rakdos makes it effective.
Kozilek and Ulamog exceed the budget right now.
Savage Beating is OHKO with Rakdos.

Wishlist:
Rakdos's Return
Blightning
Price of Progress
Breath of Malfegor
Nihil Spellbomb
Abhorrent Overlord
Cauldron Dance
Quest for Pure Flame
Browbeat
Keldon Marauders
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Stitch Together
Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
Vedalken Orrery
Winding Canyons

TL-DR: Please help me identify weak spots, so I can replace them with something else. Thank you.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Playtime's over - Rakdos, Lord of Riots
AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 2:51 am 

Hmm, I like the blood speaker inclusion. That's a pretty cool idea.

But what I wanted to ask about was null profusion and memory jar: how have those been? I had been running wheel of fortune, but jar is probably just better. I usually ended up losing to the huge hands I gave my opponents. Has null profusion ever locked you out of the game? Does it just win you the game if you get it down? Or is it sort of a incremental-value thing where you draw a couple cards each turn?

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 3:39 am 

There's a really good Rakdos strategy thread that's worth checking out...

It's probably worth adding some more cards to set up devotion for Fanatic of Mogis and Gray Merchant (at least a Phyrexian Arena and Hammer of Purphoros; maybe even a Furnace of Rath). Fanatic and Merchant are insanely good, and they seem broken with Rakdos.

Also, when resolving Fanatic of Mogis, it's mandatory to pump your fists in the air and shout, "FOR MOGGGIISSS!"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 9:31 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
But what I wanted to ask about was null profusion and memory jar: how have those been? I had been running wheel of fortune, but jar is probably just better. I usually ended up losing to the huge hands I gave my opponents. Has null profusion ever locked you out of the game? Does it just win you the game if you get it down? Or is it sort of a incremental-value thing where you draw a couple cards each turn?

Memory Jar works fine. If I have Rakdos out, I can pretty much cast the beaters out of the new hand whatever their mana costs are. Null Profusion is a recent addition and I've only cast it once so far, so I can't make judgments yet. But it seemed like a good card to have. I'll keep you posted.

Kemev wrote:
It's probably worth adding some more cards to set up devotion for Fanatic of Mogis and Gray Merchant (at least a Phyrexian Arena and Hammer of Purphoros; maybe even a Furnace of Rath). Fanatic and Merchant are insanely good, and they seem broken with Rakdos.

Also, when resolving Fanatic of Mogis, it's mandatory to pump your fists in the air and shout, "FOR MOGGGIISSS!"

Since Theros came out, I've been telling my friends that Grey Merchant of Asphodel is the best card for Commander in that set (followed by Mogis's Marauder). With the devotion, I was thinking more along the lines of Ashenmoor Liege and Demigod of Revenge :twisted:
BTW, can't wait to meet this Mogis in person, hope they'll make him into a card later in the block.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 9:56 am 

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but it seems like devotion and rakdos are anti-synergistic. With rakdos you want to cast the free colorless dudes or big dudes with small color requirements like herald of leshrac or rune-scarred demon or bogardan hellkite. I mean, there's other good cards to run, but for the most part I really try to find creatures with a really low colored mana requirement in their cost. Which of course the opposite of devotion.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 9:58 am 

Antis wrote:
Since Theros came out, I've been telling my friends that Grey Merchant of Asphodel is the best card for Commander in that set (followed by Mogis's Marauder).

I know right! I tried telling everyone I play with how good that card is...

"OMG! Gray Merchant's like a Kokusho at common, except sometimes better!" I said.
"Pffft, that's dumb," they said.
"I will quench my rage with the bitter tears of your destruction," I said.
<nothing, they said, on account of how they were all destroyed by Gray Merchants>

Antis wrote:
With the devotion, I was thinking more along the lines of Ashenmoor Liege and Demigod of Revenge :twisted:

I think you really want more enchantment support instead.

One of Rakdos's big weaknesses is that he tends to dump your whole hand on the table, and it's easy to get crushed with board wipes (especially instant-speed tucking varieties *glare Terminus*). Adding more creatures tends to make this problem worse instead of better. On top of that, Rakdos really wants to be surrounded with big colorless dudes, and small color-intense dudes are the opposite of that. (Speaking of which, where's Artisan of Kozilek?)

Meanwhile, adding some color rich enchantments can buff team Rakdos (like Gratuitous Violence, or Anthem of Rakdos) without necessarily over-exposing yourself, and also provide a few extra utility effects to shore up holes in your list (ie, Phyrexian Arena, Dark Prophecy, or Necropotence can all net you some extra cards, Smoldering Tar can help trigger Rakdos, Leyline of the Void gets you some much needed GY hate...)

Antis wrote:
BTW, can't wait to meet this Mogis in person, hope they'll make him into a card later in the block.

Yeah, I hope we're getting 10 dual-color gods...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 5:39 pm 

You could try some colorless creatures since Rakdos can make them free.
Wurmcoil Engine is probably the best option besides the eldrazi. Blightsteel Colossus and its non-infect cousin too.
Bojuka Bog you'll wish you had one if you don't put it in. You should be able to find one for a quarter.
Rift Bolt and Staggershock don't look very impressive at 3 mana. You could try more pingers instead or other burn spells. Vulshok Sorcerer and Jeska, Warrior Adept are decent.
Most variations of Chandra work too.
Bloodgift Demon seems like a good addition too. You can use it to cast Rakdos if absolutely needed too.
Toil//Trouble is like a sign in blood plus a damage spell if you need it too.
Talisman of Indulgence is a cheap way to get ramp.

P.S. Heartless Hidetsugu is good pals with Rakdos

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-20 10:13 am 

Wolfram wrote:
You could try some colorless creatures since Rakdos can make them free.
Wurmcoil Engine is probably the best option besides the eldrazi. Blightsteel Colossus and its non-infect cousin too.
Bojuka Bog you'll wish you had one if you don't put it in. You should be able to find one for a quarter.
Rift Bolt and Staggershock don't look very impressive at 3 mana. You could try more pingers instead or other burn spells. Vulshok Sorcerer and Jeska, Warrior Adept are decent.
Most variations of Chandra work too.
Bloodgift Demon seems like a good addition too. You can use it to cast Rakdos if absolutely needed too.
Toil//Trouble is like a sign in blood plus a damage spell if you need it too.
Talisman of Indulgence is a cheap way to get ramp.

P.S. Heartless Hidetsugu is good pals with Rakdos

Wurmcoil is cool, as is Darksteel Colossus. I don't want to run Blightsteel, because everyone will want me dead.
I don't like Bojuka Bog, because it can't be timed well. I don't want to keep a land in my hand for later use, since I need all land drops I can get in case Rakdos gets killed and I have to cast all those expensive creatures fair and square.
Rift Bolt and Staggershock are working very well for me, actually. Enabling Rakdos without mana investment is great. "T3 EOT Staggershock your Animar, my turn, 2 damage to you, main, Rakdos, equip boots, attack, Ulamog's Crusher, go." True story.
Chandras seem too weak to me.
Bloodgift and Talisman are already in.
Toil//Trouble is probably worth a shot.
I'm kinda scared of Hidetsugu at the moment. Maybe later...

Kemev wrote:
I think you really want more enchantment support instead.

One of Rakdos's big weaknesses is that he tends to dump your whole hand on the table, and it's easy to get crushed with board wipes (especially instant-speed tucking varieties *glare Terminus*). Adding more creatures tends to make this problem worse instead of better. On top of that, Rakdos really wants to be surrounded with big colorless dudes, and small color-intense dudes are the opposite of that. (Speaking of which, where's Artisan of Kozilek?)

How did I forget Artisan?! Fixing it soon(tm). Enchantments are cool, but at the same time, they are not what Rakdos does. The Liege and Demigod are both good midrange creatures that allow me not to be too dependent on my general (plus the Liege's trigger is sooo sweeet in this deck :D ). I'm counting with more mass reanimation in the future and I really like the idea of reanimating Demigod together with the Merchant. Plus, I have a foil Demigod (non-promo) that looks really cool and I don't have a home for it :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-06 9:06 am 

Oh yeah, baby! Thread revival after almost two years! Hit it!

Just wanted to do a little status update on Rakdos, because he's my favorite fiery darling of merciless destruction :) I'll update the OP soon, don't have the time at the moment, unfortunately.

Over the time, this deck evolved into my go-to archenemy deck. When I don't want to think too much and don't care whether everyone targets me, I reach for Rakdos. He delivers that primal joy of STOMP. I've lowered the curve somewhat, so that if the demon gets killed, I can just continue to drop guys until HE returns. The deck is capable not only of drawing all the attention to itself, but also of winning anyway. It's the deck that, when standing inside a circle of enemies, only smirks, strikes a cocky pose and yells: "BRING IT, CHUMPS!!!" I love it :)

Offline Profile