Post subject: How do you play EDH
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 4:49 am 

You play for fun?
Play with a set group?
Drink beers during?
burn trees during? (not sure if droog talk is permitted here

Music in the background?

=============================

I play for fun...never done an EDH tourney. Mostly b/c my LGS does French EDH and I don't want to tweak my decks or build basically the same deck twice to accomodate for both multiplayer and 1v1.

Mostly play with my two good buddies mostly b/c I don't do LGS shufflin' too often.

We usually chill on beers and grub here and there..but most of the times we're too focused to stop and enjoy a beer or bite to eat...but games get long and I get thirsty..amirite!

Love chilling and zoning out on EDH or whatever format. Usually cost me stupid mistakes b/c I am lost in my head thinking of dream combos/plays.

We usually throw on some chill electronic

Holy Other for example...real dark chill MTG tunes

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How do you play EDH
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 4:56 am 

I play to establish a soul-crushing dominion over my opponents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 5:11 am 

Joz wrote:

Do you smile when you sense their soul beginning to crush :?:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 5:32 am 

mikesgordon wrote:
Joz wrote:

Do you smile when you sense their soul beginning to crush :?:

I try not to, but its so hard to not savor the taste of despair, palatable in the air like a fine ... chocolate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 5:41 am 

trew trew

while it's slow here on the boards you should give me some tips or pointers
mikesgordon wrote:
Child of Alara - CHILD PLEASE :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 12:27 pm 

Our group isn't really big enough to run EDH tournies. If the whole group's there we'll usually run a multiplayer game after FNM. Sometimes it's just me and one other guy, so we'll do a 1v1 game between FNM rounds.

We normally get food before we start, but we'll buy cokes from the LGS if we get thirsty.

We don't typically run music. We need to be able to hear each other clearly so we can talk trash without having to repeat ourselves. It's difficult to insult your friend's maternal ancestry when you're zoning out on Def Leppard and Perturbator.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-08 8:42 pm 

I'm with you, Joz, dominion is the best, but I try to do it in a sneaky way 8) You'll see big target on my head only when it's TOO LATE!!! :twisted:

Seriously though, in recent years, I've noticed I'm drifting more to the casual bank of the river. I started removing any and all infinite combos from my decks. Playing things I like rather than staples. Where I'm playing staples, they have to have some utility above their general 'goodstuffiness' to be included (for example Bribery in Riku or Consecrated Sphinx in Nin).

I almost exclusively play three-ways with the same two friends. We get together at someone's home, relax, have something to eat, then sit on the floor or at a table, we play and discuss decklists, with some snacks, soft drinks and not-too-loud music. It's almost like a date, really (but I'm not gay) :oops:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-09 3:56 am 

We have "casual" EDH across the week, but as anyone who's been on our Facebook pages will note, casual EDH in Ottawa is a nice concept that doesn't survive contact with the opposition.
Eventually we have 12-16 tutors and wincombo, heh.

We do 4-6 players on Saturday afternoons at one LGS then go to 1 v 1 tournaments at the same LGS, official banned list. Sundays are 1 v 1 (30+) or multi tourneys (36+) and casual play at various pizza places. We all have a variety of decks though so people can just sit down and join the reindeer games.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-30 6:20 am 

Joz wrote:

I smell B.S.

http://edhofmn.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-30 9:16 am 

Willmsy wrote:
Joz wrote:

I smell B.S.

Don't ruin the delusion they have of me!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-30 9:26 am 

....but, I am the dream crusher.

http://edhofmn.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-31 12:51 pm 

I play for fun, always. My meta is really small -- me, my wife, my third daughter, sometimes my second daughter, and on that rare occasion when I either go out to play with some of my friends or have them over to my house. Basically, no outsiders ever.

So that means I set up a tournament of my 30-odd EDH decks and see which deck can win it all. It's really fun. I play through it with my wife and second daughter. It takes about a month or so each time.

But it's all for fun. Last night, for example, we played our brand new Tajic, Blade of the Legion deck, and it won on round five! We immediately disassembled it, because it wasn't fun. Effective and powerful, yes, but no finesse, no fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-01 11:13 pm 

I and my playgroup play for fun, and we try to keep the relative power level of each deck that we play consistent. Infinite combos are banned outright, and we mutually avoid playing generals that have blue in their color identity, which makes for some interesting games, IMHO. At one time, we agreed to have no more than three "tutor" or "search" cards in our decks.

But another playgroup that we have ties with is Spike-dominated, with top-tier decks (usually part-blue) going at each other week in, week out. Sometimes myself or another group member will sit in their pod with a "tournament" build of one of our decks and we might win a game or two, but it's often more nerve-wracking than fun. And dare I say, a tad predictable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 9:39 am 

I play EDH wherever and whenever I can.

A few years ago my playgroup consisted of one other person; my friend who taught me the game. I discovered EDH and introduced him to it, but early on it was just one-on-one for the most part outside of the occasional day when he'd invite some others over to play. We used to live in the same neighborhood and I'd go over to his place every morning at 6am before we each had to leave for our respective jobs and we'd duel for an hour. Now he lives across town, but still comes over to my place at 6 once or twice a week to play in the morning with my son and I.

Started inviting other local players to our irregular game night sessions as I'd meet and make contacts at local pre-releases. Now we meet every so often to play at my friend's home, and we usually have 4-6 players show up.

The EDH bug bit me hard, though. My number of decks keeps creeping up and up... currently have 21 regular ones and 2 pauper decks. I often pit them against each other in 2, 3, or 4-player solitaire playtest matches. My son and I just finished a 2-week long tournament of all our regular EDH decks; it was ultimately won by my Bruna, Light of Alabaster enchant-o-rama deck.

I have two sons, 9 and 13 that play now. The 13 year old has been playing for a couple years now and is getting quite good. He has his own box of decks, including 7 or 8 regular ones and his own two pauper decks. We play fairly often ( just last night, in fact ). His little brother wants his help buliding his own deck now.

I play at work during lunch breaks. A couple years ago I had a co-worker who had played back during alpha-beta-unlimited, but never really got into collecting; he relearned the game from me and would play me using my own decks. He doesn't work with me anymore, but he's close enough that we still occasionally meet somewhere for lunch and get a game or two in. Recently, another Magic player started working here... he's super-competitive and has been playing about four times longer than I. We also play during lunch, and he's joined our local group a few times. I have yet to win a game with him in one-on-one play.

There is an LGS about ten minutes from where I work that started a Commander League last year. I go out and play there every chance I can. My son joins me most of the time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-19 9:45 pm 

How and Why I play EDH: I play for fun and because I like building decks and playing the game. I like playing with at least one other person that I know and whose company I enjoy. It's a Social Game.

I would rather have a fun game where I Lost, but got to do cool stuff with my deck, than win a game that wasn't enjoyable for most of the people at the table (which, would include me).

I don't mind people proxying for cards that they own (I have far far more creature-based decks with green than I do Gaea's Cradle, and a playset of revised Duals isn't going to be enough either).

I most often play at a very cool game store with a pretty casual playgroup, but I also like to play kitchen-(or living room-, dining room-)table style. I prefer 3-4 player games, but I don't mind playing 1 on 1 (with regular rules, not French). 5 is okay, 6 is too many.

I will NEVER EVER EVER play in a "Tournament" or for "Prizes." (In fact, I don't even consider that EDH/Commander, but that's just my opinion).

It's nice to have a beverage while playing, and I don't mind music or TV, as they are communal (but I don't find it fun when another player is lost in their iphone/pad/computer... I doubt they're having fun playing either).

I'm playing through all of them in order at: http://edh100.wordpress.com
Decklists Here: http://tappedout.net/users/Nickel97/deck-folders/.

Powerful cards aren't the problem, Spikes are.

Offline Profile