Warstorm Surge

Lands:
Crystal Vein
Haunted Fengraf
Mountain x 28
Terrain Generator
Strip Mine
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

*Adaptive Automaton also belongs in the creature section.

Basically, what you see is what you got. I don't think this deck will make a whole lot of friends, but my little brother always kinda wanted to see what a deck like this could do. I've had the majority of all of these cards in other decks, but it wasn't until I saw someone wanting to ban Krenko as a commander that I finally dug out various pieces and made this deck.

I'm still short Goblin Bombardment, but I'm still searching for it. I also probably will want to put in a couple more lands which tap for multiple mana, but I'm loathe to take City of Traitors out of my Melek deck yet.

Mana Echoes carries a lot of this deck. While you can still win very readily without it, it can also lead to turns such as: Battle Hymn-->Mana Echoes, tap Krenko to get 6 new tokens, cast Vicious Shadows and Warstorm Surge. That was a turn six play during testing the deck not but a little while ago. There's still a lot of interactions I've yet to see with this deck, but I'm hoping to see a game go punch-for-punch when I go out to the 'shop next. I'd really like to get Goblin Recruiter + Goblin Charbelcher, but we'll see. Either that or Breath of Fury go off. Anyway, Homura, Human Ascendant might be fairly good in this deck, but I think I'd rather throw in Comet Storm for the really crazy games with Mana Echoes. Maybe after I get bored with this build I'll try to make a deck with all of the X, deal X damage spells in red.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Krenko, for lack of better things to do
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-17 5:48 pm 

Yeah, finding a Goblin Bombardment is key. It's great to have with a Thornbite Staff on Krenko. And there's even a Blade of the Bloodchief all ready to get taken out to open a slot for the Staff! Skirk Prospector is also a great sac outlet/accelerator. Boggart Shenanigans can help take advantage of all the dying goblins. It's also a goblin for the sake of tutoring/sifting.

Speaking of staves, Staff of Domination was recently unbanned. Just sayin'.

Mass haste is critical for actually ending games compared to losing your army in response to its creation. Urabrask is great but also consider things like Fervor, In the Web of War, and Akroma's Memorial.

Staff of Nin > Otherworld Atlas.

Token generating spells can be nice but you can do better than Goblin Scouts. The mountainwalk isn't often relevant; if you can kill the dude with three unblocked goblins odds are you're in an attacking position to do the same with the rest of your army. Consider Empty the Warrens and Goblin Rally. If Hellion Eruption really is your idea of a grand time maybe take a look at Mogg Infestation instead.

Extra battle steps can be back-breaking. Which is why Aggravated Assault needs to be one of those effects. It even doubles as an (expensive) Krenko untapper! It's really the only extra battle step effect you need in the deck. At the very least remove the weakest of the effects for it (hint: that means Breath of Fury)

Did someone say Coat of Arms? I think I heard someone say Coat of Arms. At first they said Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker. But then right after that I distinctly heard Coat of Arms.

Both Brightstone Ritual and Goblin War Strike have high potential in this deck. Because, you see, goblins.

Splinter Twin can do a lot of work attached to one of the token generating goblins. Or Goblin Matron.

Other defensive enchantments I like are Price of Glory and War's Toll. Make them pay for responding to you. Although not an enchantment, Bloodmark Mentor can make the prospect of attacking you very dicey.

Pyreheart Wolf may swing with undying but Goblin War Drums doesn't need haste and is on theme and everything! Either that or just cut the wolf.

Goblin Marshal may seem like too much mana at first glance but 6 is a small price to pay for the tokens he spits out. He's very good at helping rebuild a wiped board.

I personally like Patron of the Akki over Instigator Gang for the battle pumps. The goblin offering allows you to flash it in at the end of someone else's turn if you don't have haste. And there's no way the Gang is staying transformed and at that point you might as well be playing Orcish Oriflamme. However, battle pumps like this and Quest for the Goblin Lord often disappoint me. Odds are when you win it's through the simple mass of goblins. Yes, more power = more death but you still need utility and combo pieces to keep the deck moving forward and able to adapt to disruption. You can easily fit in win conditions that can trigger even if you, say, can't attack or untap your creatures or if you lose Krenko. But that generally means dropping effects like this.

Speaking of which, Skirk Fire Marshal. End them games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-18 12:01 am 

Onion Souffle wrote:
...lots of stuff...

Thanks for posting! Lots of good material, and a lot of it is things I'd either considered or don't have.

Thornbite Staff is good, I'd forgotten about that. I'll have to see if I still have one. I pulled a Skirk Prospector out of my collection last week with the intention of putting it into this deck, so I'll have to go find where I put it (after three 5000-card boxes getting filled and organized, I didn't put any energy into cleaning anything up, haha). I used to have Boggart Shenanigans, so I'll have to see where it ended up.

I don't own a Staff of Domination yet, and I don't know that I'll be ordering cards for a while. I'm going to cut back on it for a few months at least. If I end up finding one for trade I'll try to pick one up. Although, I actually already have Fervor in my decklist.

As for Staff of Nin being better than Otherworld Atlas, I do understand the reasoning. I'm going to stick with the Atlas for the moment though, because without Mana Echoes this deck can end up having a lot of trouble with mana. Also, the symmetrical draw isn't always a bad thing. Yes, my opponent can potentially draw into a wrath effect, but I feel like between the number of haste cards, Vicious Shadows, and hopefully soon Boggart Shenanigans (not forgetting the potential for sac outlets) I won't have to worry too much. Especially if I draw into them with Atlas. Atlas also helps me recover much quicker (albeit I might need to consider Slate of Ancestry).

Goblin Scouts is just in here until I found a better one (I'm well aware of there being better ones). Note, this is where organizing half of the collection I have at home comes in handy. I had thought about Empty the Warrens, but wasn't entirely convinced I'd be playing enough spells in a turn to make it useful. Especially if one of my only card draw is going to be Staff of Nin. I do really need to find Mogg Infestation though.

Also, extra battle steps are in the deck. I'd probably sooner take out Volcanic Wind than Breath of Fury for Aggravated Assault--that is, if I owned one. Another one I'll probably look for around the area.

Let's see...I'm always wary of Coat of Arms, mostly because I've seen it backfire more times than ever work out. If it's worked for you, great; I've never seen it work like the player wanted it to. I'd put Brightstone Ritual in, but I have to find a fifth one because the other four are in a 60-card Goblin Burn At the Stake deck. Hmm...Burn at the Stake...anyway, Goblin War Strike is a possibility that I threw out whenever I initially built the deck. I wanted to see how all of these cards performed first. I don't have another Splinter Twin available at this moment, and my area has suddenly gotten interested in Modern--so I'm not going to see another one without straight ordering it. I'll have to dig up Bloodmark Mentor along with the other cards I look for, kinda like Goblin War Drums. I would put in War's Toll, but it created a lot of negative feelings towards me the last times I did. Citadel of Pain works just as well, although I'll have to give Price of Glory a hard looking at. I think I actually did see a Patron of the Akki, so I may try that. I haven't even drawn Instigator Gang yet, so I haven't gotten the chance to see it perform. Oh, and I don't have a Goblin Marshal.

Are you starting to see a kind of pattern here? Either I hadn't found a card in my collection yet, or I don't own it; therefore, less-than-stellar cards make the list instead. Well, there you go.

Ah! Skirk Fire Marshal. I guess you're suggesting I shouldn't mind making the game into a draw?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-18 6:00 am 

Hey, nothing wrong with rolling with the cards you have. A deck always has to start somewhere and if it can click when you're jerry rigging it that can be an incentive to tune it further and keep at it. Plus it's so much cheaper to not buy cards. :lol:

Here's how I've been able to make Coat of Arms work for me even against other tribal decks: only drop it as a kill condition. Pretend it's something like Insurrection. Don't let it leave your hand unless you can eliminate at least the players who can use it against you. Otherwise, yeah, that Ezuri player across the table from you is just going to smile and say thanks.

The reason I'm not so keen on Breath of Fury is that this deck largely subsists on goblin tokens. Those tokens are the best candidates to bounce the Breath between them but barring a blocker-less opponent they're always going to get chumped when it matters.

I'll admit that Skirk Fire Marshal is a personal favorite of mine. If you're ahead in life you can set the board on fire to set up a win condition. If you're behind in life you set the board on fire to reset the situation. If you're feeling really spiteful you can set the board on fire to end the game in a draw, but make sure you're within the same 10 health bracket as the rest of them so your activations don't vanish when you die. And if you have an Akroma's Memorial or Eldrazi Monument (which is also amazing and I recommend it) you set the board on fire and swing to win with your fireproof goblins.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-07 12:12 am 

I've recently put together Krenko deck, and I must say, it's sooo fast and brutal that basically only board wipes protect against this deck, and even then it can recuperate quite fat.

The build I'm using is this:

One True Leader:
Krenko, Mob Boss

Creatures (36):
Foundry Street Denizen
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Bushwhacker
Goblin Guide
Goblin Lackey
Legion Loyalist
Mogg Fanatic
Raging Goblin
Skirk Prospector
Spikeshot Elder
Bloodmark Mentor
Goblin Piledriver
Goblin Recruiter
Goblin Striker
Mogg War Marshal
Warren Instigator
Adaptive Automaton
Goblin Chieftain
Goblin King
Goblin Matron
Goblin Ruinblaster
Goblin Sharpshooter
Goblin Warchief
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Anger
Caterwauling Boggart
Goblin Pyromancer
Goblin Ringleader
Hellrider
Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
Moggcatcher
Reckless One
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Siege-Gang Commander
Skirk Fire Marshal
Goblin Marshal

Instant (2):
Lightning Bolt
Massive Raid

Sorcery (10):
Fireball
Goblin War Strike
Red Sun's Zenith
Dragon Fodder
Krenko's Command
Mizzium Mortars
Mob Justice
Empty the Warrens
Past in Flames
Blasphemous Act

Artifact (12):
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Lightning Greaves
Shrine of Burning Rage
Swiftfoot Boots
Thornbite Staff
Thousand-Year Elixir
Umbral Mantle
Urza's Incubator
Door of Destinies
Coat of Arms
Eldrazi Monument

Enchantment (4):
Blood Moon
Mana Echoes
Splinter Twin
Stranglehold

Land (35):
33 Mountain
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Vesuva

Mana Echoes with and X spell like Fireball or Red Sun's Zenith is just ridiculous, especially with our commander. When you tap krenko to create new goblins Mana Echoes will give you 2*x^2 colourless mana, where x is the number of goblins you control prior to the use of the ability. You can easily see how explosive it is:

x - mana
1 - 2
2 - 8
3 - 18
4 - 32
5 - 50

And considering you double the amount of goblins you control every time you tap Krenko, it gets out of hand very fast. This is where your nice tricks i.e. Splinter Twin, Thornbite Staff, Umbral Mantle etc start to shine. You amount ridiculous amounts of goblins. And your opponents now face the army everybody trembles before. I've also added Eldrazi Monument as a way to prevent board wipes on my side. The downside othe artifact is not really a downside once you have krenko out, you get way more creatures than you can possibly sacrifice.

If you ask me, this is way worse than Slivers. Slivers need time to spread their wings and shine and once they do they start to dominate. Goblins just need a start, so you won't sit on 3 mana for 5 turns and you're home.

If you have some insight into my decklist, let me know!

p.s. I'm still waiting for my copy of Akroma's Memorial.

Offline Profile