Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 2:41 pm

Post subject: Upheaval?
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-14 10:28 am 

Perhaps this is a stupid question but why is Upheaval banned?

Generals:
Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Tajic, Blade of the Legion-in Progress

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-14 11:31 am 

Because you can float mana the return everyones permanets then play things so you have permanents and nobody else does. Then they have to discard a bunch of cards which puts you at a huge advantage. Not only does it do all this, but it is also blue. So there you go.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-14 12:00 pm 

That seems like a mostly unhelpful explanation.

You can float mana with a number of cards and have nearly the same effect.

Obliterate
Decree of Annihilation
Jokulhaups

Really...any board wipe.

And the fact that it's blue is most likely not why it's banned.

Generals:
Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Melek, Izzet Paragon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-14 2:03 pm 

The issue is only partially that its a board wipe, but more so that the upheavel caster has the chance to drop a bunch of their permanents again prior to the end of turn. This not only gives them an advantage with time, but they will have a hand full of business spells. Where as the opponents all get to drop a land, and say go.

Obliterate does do something similar, however the caster doesnt suddenly find themselves with a 20 card hand. They are far more limited in what they have to cast. Here they may only get 1 or 2 things down.

And the fact that it is blue is relevent to a point, since a blue player will be able to much more effectively prevent any threats against their plan from landing then a red player.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-14 2:40 pm 

That seems like a much more helpful explanation. Thank you very much.

Generals:
Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Melek, Izzet Paragon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Upheaval?
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-06 12:57 pm 

Nirvana wrote:
The issue is only partially that its a board wipe, but more so that the upheavel caster has the chance to drop a bunch of their permanents again prior to the end of turn. This not only gives them an advantage with time, but they will have a hand full of business spells. Where as the opponents all get to drop a land, and say go.

Obliterate does do something similar, however the caster doesnt suddenly find themselves with a 20 card hand. They are far more limited in what they have to cast. Here they may only get 1 or 2 things down.

And the fact that it is blue is relevent to a point, since a blue player will be able to much more effectively prevent any threats against their plan from landing then a red player.

I don't understand why this is sufficient cause to ban upheaval and not ban obliterate.

If someone casts obliterate and pools mana, they will still have up to 6 cards in hand to cast. Even resolving a single large threat will probably win them the game considering that everyone else will have nothing in play. It doesn't matter how many cards they have in their hand because they only need to land a single threat.

Upheaval is actually less disruptive than obliterate. With upheaval, everyone has their lands, artifact mana, and other permanents bounced. They can start rebuilding their board position immediately, and players don't have to discard until the end of their turn. Basically, you're starting your turn with all your land, artifact mana, and stuff in your hand. You can probably play a land, some kind of artifact, and then discard down to 7. You're basically guaranteed to never miss a land drop and you get to keep all your artifact mana. If the upheaval caster plays a threat after pooling mana, it's much easier to deal with because after one turn everyone is guaranteed to have a land in play, and after two turns, everyone is guaranteed to have at least two land in play plus whatever artifact mana they had before.

Compare this to obliterate, where you lose everything except enchantments. Unless you were holding land preemptively, the only way to make land drops is to topdeck them, which is at best a 50% chance each turn. That means on average, it will take you four turns to get two land in play. Also, you have no artifact mana or even cards to cast with that much mana unless you were preemptively saving those as well. If the obliterate caster pools mana and plays a threat, it is much harder to deal with since everyone else is basically mana screwed. The obliterate caster won't get all his stuff back in his hand, but that hardly matters. They will probably be able to secretly save at least one land drop, and they still have about 5 cards in hand to choose a threat from. The point is that when everyone else is completely mana screwed, any reasonable threat can win the game.

Upheaval being blue doesn't really matter because many players use multicolored decks anyway. Also, obliterate is uncounterable, so it doesn't even need to be protected in the first place.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 6:33 am 

...I've always kind of taken it for granted that upheaval was banned... But suddenly I'm unsure why it's so much worse then Jokulhaups or Obliterate that it needs to be banned. If you drop ONE threat with a Jokulhaups or Obliterate, you'll could win off that alone, since your opponents could quite easily be stuck trying to topdecks lands AND answers.

Compare this to Upheaval, where one threat is just a good boost, not game ending, since your opponents will all be guaranteed to have land, as well as any artifact accel they had before to recover with. Not to mention, to be worth it, it's prolly going to require around 12 mana, and as I've heard people (including RC members) tell me 100 times on this board, if it costs that much mana, it SHOULD have a huge impact on winning you the game.

Heck, Obliterate is even uncounterable. If it's seriously because upheaval is blue... well, I'll just assume and hope that's not the case.

Now I'm guessing Upheavel got the banhammer for wreaking an RC member's day one too many times, whereas no one in their group happened to play Jokulhaups/Obliterate.

Anyway, that's my 10 cents. Either unban upheaval, or ban all mass destruction effects... and I'm pretty sure option 2 is not gonna happen.
...Or perhaps I'm missing some other reason Upheaval is banned and they're not... If so, please enlighten me. :)

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 6:42 am 

When I first started playing EDH I hadden't noticed Upheaval on the banned list, cause well, I saw no sort of brokenness in it.

I build a Niv-Mizzet deck that generated a ton of artifact mana and used blue draw spells ftw. The occasional Upheaval did usually mean a win for me. I would generate 20 mana, cast upheaval, recast all my artifact mana and then cast more stuff. After having done this twice my friend kindly pointed out to me I was playing with a banned card. I understood now.

Haups says: "lets start again". Upheaval says: "I win".

If you don't get it, build a Blue/Brown deck and play it. You'll get it :wink: .

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 7:55 am 

As the others have said the only reason it is banned is because it's blue. Blue is good. Red is not, so it gets away with similar effects. Although when they're paired together in Jhoira it can be very effective, but that's easily solved. With a brick. And their head.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 8:12 am 
EDH Rules Committee

The major sin of Upheaval is the returning of the cards to hand, giving you the opportunity to play the stuff again. Obliterate *might* have stuff to cast, but it's not a given like with Upheaval. Additionally, we saw Upheaval actually warping the format, where there hasn't been such evidence with Obliterate--quite possibly, as a few folks have pointed out, because of the strength of Blue and the weakness of Red in the format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 9:14 am 

Not to mention Upheaval slows the game down like a MF. At least when someone casts Obliterate or other varients, they usually have a Planeswalker to actually win the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 9:24 am 

In the immortal words, "Upheaval, floating three."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 10:41 am 

T3hDarkness wrote:
In the immortal words, "Upheaval, floating three."

Floating three for what?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 10:42 am 

When upheaval was banned, you could go:
tapping islands, tap tolarian academy for a lot of mana, upheaval.
Cast all those artifacts you just returned to hand, play tolarian academy, add a bunch of mana, replay whatever other cards you wanted to cast, go:

Basically, in the days of tolarian academy, it could be almost entirely one sided. Without tolarian academy, its still very good, and can do similar stuff, but its not quite as powerful.

People can still cast apocalypse and then their general, but its just not nearly the same as having all those other permanents to back it up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-07 11:51 am 

Yeah, it's really not hard to set up a situation where you get your entire board position back after casting Upheaval. It's not even that expensive. It's also not that hard to do mean things like casting it under Memory Jar (during the Jar hand). It's cheeper than Obliterate as well. If it were unbanned it run it instead of almost any other sweeper. It's gross. Anyone ever play the old 'Tog decks that actually ran the thing in tournament formats? The card is busted and deserves to be banned.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile