Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 5:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 102  Next
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-18 8:29 am 

Okay, so Miss Mayael just completely dominated another four-player multiplayer game.

The progression was something like:
Turn 3: Mayael
Turn 4: Ajani Vengeant, keep a land tapped
Turn 5: Rings of Brightearth, keep two creatures tapped
Turn 6: Mayael hits Penumbra WUrm while opponent is attacking Ajani with random 3/3; Opponent's burn spell is pointed at Ajani to keep him from 7 counters with Rings in play.
Turn 7: Ajani Lightning Helixes away a B/R Liege, Mayael finds Woodfall Primus
Turn 8: Double Mayael for Bogardan Hellkite and Akroma; Hellkite burns out a Visara the Dreadful.
Turn 9: Hardcast Windbrisk Raptor, kill one guy, gain 24 life. Opposition concedes.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-23 1:16 am 

Okay. Been doing a bit of playing, (and having better players than me play the deck), and she's still a powerhouse.

Cards of note:

Brightflame: Absolute Bomb. This will tear a hole in creature stalemates like few other cards. Today, it was literally "Kill everything but my Loaming Shaman and gain 78 life" for the low cost of 6WWRR. This card just turns playing fields uneven so quickly.

Greater Good: Maybe it's just the penchance of our playgroup for Control Magic/Threaten/Death Grasp-type effects, but having an instant speed manaless sac outlet that doubles as awesome card selection has been great every time it's been in paly.

Ajani Vengeant: Maybe it's just planeswalkers in general, but he's sick. Sick sick sick. He's hard to hit through an active Mayael, and he builds up to 7 rather quickly as you tap down the biggest threat to him. Rings of Brightearth like this guy a lot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-25 5:06 am 

Hey Jeyal,

sorry for not responding earlier, the forum software seems to have decided I should not receive updates anymore :(.

Ring + any planeswalker would seem to be good. Maybe you're right and I should give some of them a try. Ajani Vengeant does sound good, not too fond of his ultimate though, that is bound to get some people really scared! I think I would try either Ajani, Elspeth or Garruk, but I currently only own the older Ajani and Garruk so if I make the changes those are up first.

To me it seems that when brightflame is starting to be interesting I have so much mana I'd rather be casting fatties (or putting them into play). I can understand the reasoning for the good, there just isn't much of that stuff flying around in my group.

I've been ill for 2 weeks now, so no games for me :(. But good to hear you're making Mayael proud :).

pi

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-25 6:54 pm 

Ajani Vengeant's ultimate DOES get people really scared. Scared players make atacks into it. Then Mayael lets you go none-for-one. (Or more, with something like Hellkite or Tornado Elemental or Razia)

Also, get well!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-26 5:59 pm 

I also run a mayael deck which is more budget in terms of land (mostly basic.) My main strategy is just to build up a surplus of lands and then beat, beat, beat. The only support spells I really run are enchantment/artifact destruction to bust up problems and combos and wrath effects that swing low to take on the odd token deck that kills you with I huge overrun or Hit/Run. I might have missed some posts so excuse me if these have already been saidor added:

-Cream of the crop
-Mirari's Wake

-Deus of Calamity (good deal)
-Razia, Boros Archangel (haste)
-Bull Cerodon (haste)
-Akroma, Angel of Fury (comes down early)
-Root Elemental (puts out large threats)

-Tattermunge Witch (for the guys that don't have trample)
-BloodThorn Taunter (get your guys in before there's a wrath)

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-26 8:31 pm 

Jukren54 wrote:
I also run a mayael deck which is more budget in terms of land (mostly basic.) My main strategy is just to build up a surplus of lands and then beat, beat, beat. The only support spells I really run are enchantment/artifact destruction to bust up problems and combos and wrath effects that swing low to take on the odd token deck that kills you with I huge overrun or Hit/Run. I might have missed some posts so excuse me if these have already been saidor added:

-Cream of the crop
-Mirari's Wake

-Deus of Calamity (good deal)
-Razia, Boros Archangel (haste)
-Bull Cerodon (haste)
-Akroma, Angel of Fury (comes down early)
-Root Elemental (puts out large threats)

-Tattermunge Witch (for the guys that don't have trample)
-BloodThorn Taunter (get your guys in before there's a wrath)

Good to see another fan of Miss Mayael!

My deck doesn't really seem to need the trample granted by the witch. The majority of my big dudes fly, trample, or have removal attactched to them.

The Bloodthron Taunter also doesn't add much. Mayael's ability is usually used by me in one of two places. Either during an opponent's end step (ideal) or while they attack me (a card advantage opportunity.) By the time my urn comes around again, they have no real need for haste.

I run Razia, the Cerodon, and Akroma. Not necessarily for the haste, but the Vigilance is key, too. This deck will always have offense. The defense they provide is a nice bonus.

As for the Root Elemental, his best feature is that he fetches someone better than him, sometimes. If Mayael hits her, you just get a vanilla 5/5 or 6/6. Compare to a Woodfall Primus or Penumbra Wurm, and it doesn't seem like much.

I run a ton of Mayael-able fatties (30+) while pi doesn't run anywhere near that many. How many are in your build?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-27 1:38 am 

I run 30 as well. My deck also runs some back up tech like Brion and Wild Pair which are just fun to play with.

I enjoy mayael because she just feels like a highlander deck. I've won many games just by playing out my huge fatties when mayael has been killed so many times and it's cheaper just to play them out from my hand.

Interesting story that you might enjoy about hamletback goliath. It doesn't have trample so everyone was just chumping it with 1/1s. It was a 42/42 when I used soul's fire. Good game!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-28 2:45 am 

Cool, more interest in Mayael :).

I think with 30 you're actually between Jeyal and myself, I think on my last count I came to 36 fatties in your deck Jeyal, is that right?

I agree with many of Jeyal's remarks regarding the creatures you suggest. The haste indeed isn't quite as relevant as them having viginlance. I have actually included seeker of skybreak in part because he can give a creature a form of vigilence.

Regarding cream and wake, cream sounds really nice, but after having it in play a few times it seems more like overkill. It doesn't really work well with guile, library, top or rack and most often the card I want is not a fatty, so he even works against Mayael in a way. Wake simply has the wrong casting cost. When I have 5 mana I am preparing to get Mayael online, or I might be playing some mass removal or take other defensive measures. Anyway, at that point I don't want to be casting an enchantment that really doesn't do all that much by itself. I'll admit this deck likes its mana, but when you spend it wisely I don't think wake is needed.

Deus is a cool card, but I think the mana will be a bit too hard to actually count it as a 5 mana drop. I think when I have 7 lands it's starting to get likely that I have that kind of mana. I am sure that for you with less non-basics it will be even harder. Now taking that into account I think the thing paints too much of a bullseye on your head.

I can imagine playing razia, cerodon or akroma2, no comments there. I just don't think I have the room for them myself. Root elemental on the other hand just seems pretty crappy, his effect is not usefull all that often as he can use it only once and then it's expensive. if put into play by Mayael he's just a vanilla creature. To me the questions is, does him having the option to be played as a morph weigh up to him being just a vanilla creature. I don't think it does in this case.

Some thoughts I had on cards that might be nice:

Hibernation's end: Can give a huge amount of card advantage, but it does intervere with Mayael activations. Only starts to get interesting after a few upkeep payments.
Vagrant plowbeast: People tend to try to kill the fatties. I'm really appreciating yavimaya hollow, vigor, spearbreaker behemoth and twilight shepherd because they help the fatties stay around. It would seem this creature is a weaker version of the behemoth. I think this might be worth playing, what do you think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-28 1:15 pm 

Yep. 36 Mayael-ables, as of now.

I think Hibernation's End is kinda weak. For me, it hits Bloom Tender, Wooly Thoctar, Drumhunter, Seedborn Muse. That's 5 turns before it gets to something I really want.

One that I want to try sometime is Where Ancients Tread. One sided Pandemonium seems pretty quality. Especially if I can get Penumbra Wurm. Even more with a Godsire.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-01 3:56 am 

pi wrote:
Vagrant plowbeast: People tend to try to kill the fatties. I'm really appreciating yavimaya hollow, vigor, spearbreaker behemoth and twilight shepherd because they help the fatties stay around. It would seem this creature is a weaker version of the behemoth. I think this might be worth playing, what do you think?

I plan on adding him, megalonoth and cliffrunner behemoth when conflux comes out. Right now I only own 30 playables for mayael and I don't want to run proxies.

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-01 4:17 am 

btw I'm looking for tips on keeping mayael in play because my group constantly sees her as threat #1 no matter what the board state is. Two games in a row I've been playing her for 11 or more. When is the optimal time to play her? early, mid, or late game?

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-01 8:49 am 

Latest card I want to try is Timesifter. Haven't got it out yet, though.

Maybe I'm lucky, maybe my playgroup doesn't run a ton of targeted removal, but I've never had much of a problem with sticking Mayael. If someone wants to burn a Sudden Death or a Fireball or Vindicate on her, I really don't mind too much. It beats them slaying your fatties.

I guess to decide how to protect Miss Mayael, you'd have to cinsider how the opposition is killing her. Wrath effects? Terror effects? Inferno/Firespout damage?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 3:12 pm 

(Lost the new post notifications again :(.)

Why does your group see Mayael as such a threat? Do you think you could maybe fake a miss with her a few times? I mean, you won't always need the fatty you see and if your opponents get the impression she misses often they will not be as likely to kill her. You should realize though that 2/3 aren't exactly huge stats, so she's prone to dying to mass removal.

You could also consider playing her later. Depending on my hand more often than not I don't play her right away (sometimes I have to to get up some defense and sometimes I have like 3 wrath effects in hand and know it'll be useless). If I have decided to wait it'll generally take some time before she hits play, even when I do have the mana to activate her. In a game last Sunday she came out to play after close to 3 hours. We drew the game eventually because we ran out of time, however looking at the upcoming cards we agreed I probably would have won that 6-player game (so something must've gone right there) .

The main thing I discovered is that it is hard to rush Mayael. It may seem that with all those fatties sneaking into play you should be able to present a fast clock, but barring the lucky hits (let's say vigor followed by crater helion and some other stuff in play) you are never actually amazingly fast. However, with Mayael pulling up the fatties you can build up a nice hand of backup while the other players have to worry about dealing with what you have in play right now. In practice I think in close to 60-70% of the games, and all of the larger games, I play my deck as a control deck (and tend to do well with it that way).

Could you perhaps elaborate on how your opponents are killing Mayael and what's causing them to fear her so much?

Timesifter is an interesting choice, especially with the amount of Fatties you play. It does seem to me that you would want the mirri's guile, sylvan library and scroll rack package as well? I have started doubting those cards myself though, it is nice to filter and all, but perhaps I prefer to have cards that actually influence the board.

Regarding last Sunday's gaming, we started 3 games. Started because the first was conceded to me when a 4th player came in (I had an interesting board position I think, because they thought I would win, though I can't remember for the likes of me what it was, so it cannot have been all that good....). Next game was started and we played for like half an hour when 2 more players showed up and we decided to draw that one. I think I missed a Mayael activation in that game, but it didn't really matter. Ow, something to note, we went up to 30 starting life, as 20 seemed a bit low/random after trying it a few times.

Ok, final game. We had in the game sisay, mishra (don't ask, he wanted the colors), chorus of the conclave, sek'kuar, zur and of course miss Mayael. The zur player was the obvious target. At some point he had:

- mind's eye
- rhystic study
- land tax
- serra's blessing
- reconnaisance
- shield of kaldra on an iridescent angel (!!!)
- a suped up zur with among other things a diplomatic immunity
- a suped up twisted abomination
- a creature who's name I seem to have forgotten that gains abilities from anything in any yard, black, 4/4, flyin, pro red, pro black, fear, probably some other stuff
- way too much mana
- 5 rather annoyed/scared opponents

We also knew he has a bunch of counters in his deck, the sisay player had a white crovax, sek'kuar could deal 1 damage to everything each round and kill something that was damaged with with's mist. In summary, the environment was a bit hostile.

Zur was the first focus, but at first there just wasn't anything we could do and nobody wanted to risk losing stuff to his counters or facing his wrath. Finally in one mayor round sisay to his left started playing stuff he should counter (I think a magus of the disk), he did, I played a rout eot, he countered again. I was next, played something else that was countered and had the choice of the red command or wave of reckoning. Wave wouldn't kill much, so I decided that my best chance was the winds of change and pyroclasm abilities and hope I draw into a wrath or something. Turns out the next 2 were holding evacuation and wrath, oops. I did find me a kor haven, which saved my bacon more then a few times.

We did get a dent in zur's defenses though, some of his weaker stuff died during that series of plays and the next few players were able to hit him for relevant amounts. when the dust settled zur was still standing though, pissed off and trying to take on the world. I in the mean time got reduced to 3 and things were looking grim. The haven stood between me and getting killed. While my yavimaya hollow kept an enormous baloth with a loxodon warhammer on it around for mishra (he stole the baloth) so that mishra could attack zur again and draw out his attention. This turned out to be a good choise, as zur couldn't easily stop the 10 damage. I had found my coffin as well, which tore a hole in zur's defenses by moving away his indestructable, protection from all colors angel, me likes :). I let him have it back almost immediately, as it would be tapped anyway.

Problem still was that all it would take was a lightning bolt to kill me. I had forunately found me a sapheep forest. (Impressive huh?). I also managed to put into play a defense of the heart, which together with mirri's guile enabled me to gain life. As zur was still threatening everyone the defense stayed around (I in the mean time managed to piss off chorus guy, he had huge creatures, one of which forest walked, oops, better find an answer quick...). We finally got to sisay's eot again, bringing me up to 4. Defense got me blazing archon and spearbreaker behemoth, while the greem command gained me 7 and fetched me witness. And that was basically all she wrote. Archon couldn't be stopped and took out a few, while zur was taken care off by chorus guy. Mishra annoyingly countered my witness, but besides that everything went according to plan. I drew with sisay, who was gaining heeps with temple acolyte and cloudstone curio, but we agreed that scourge of kher ridges would have ended most of his tricks especially as vigor followed closely.

Ow, Mayael entered play only when sisay and I were left, couldn't expose her to all that madness, could I?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-03 2:31 am 

Pi, is your deck list in the first post up to date?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-03 2:40 am 

I prefer chronological updates, so the first shows the starting version, but if you go back a few posts you´ll find my latest. I asked about this earlier in the topic, but it seemed the other people posting were in agreement with this approach. It would also be unclear as multiple people have been posting their decklists and they are quite different.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 102  Next