Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 5:51 pm

Post subject: Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-13 11:57 pm 

I recently decided to build decks primarily with cards I already own in order to play with some of the fun cards I own that never seem to be good enough. When looking through my white generals, I found Brigid and wanted to build her up. In order to have a critical mass of tools for Brigid's ability, I ended up buying just 3 cards (marked with *) rather than the 20 or so cards I usually buy for a new deck.

General
1 Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile

Brigid's Tools
1 Grafted Exoskeleton
1 Quietus Spike
1 Thornbite Staff
1 Kusari-Gama
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Blight Sickle
1 Gorgon Flail
1 Mammoth Umbra
1 Neko-Te*
1 Sword of Kaldra*
1 Gideon Jura* - In for the forced attacks
1 Maze of Ith - Helps pull Brigid out of combat to use her ability. Haven't had a chance to use this yet, but I have to imagine it'll be pretty great with Grafted Exoskeleton

Big Buffs
1 Armored Ascension - Probably pretty weak in general, but seems like too much fun to cut right now.
1 Bonehoard
1 Strata Scythe

Other Equipment
1 Darksteel Plate - Probably not necessary, but seems good for keeping Brigid alive if she draws hate. Also combos really well with Palisade Giant.

Various Card Advantage
1 Evangelize - Looking forward to finally trying this out.
1 Reya Dawnbringer
1 Marshal's Anthem
1 Inheritance - I'm excited to try out one of the few white cards that have the text "Draw card"

Removal
1 Path to Exile
1 Prison Term
1 Soul Snare
1 Condemn
1 Rout
1 Aura of Silence
1 Abolish
1 Return to Dust
1 Revoke Existence
1 Planar Cleansing
1 Phyrexian Rebirth
1 Archon of Justice
1 Saltblast
1 Intrepid Hero

Shenanegins
1 Dawnglare Invoker - I'm curious to see how she plays out.
1 Defensive Formation
1 Brave the Elements
1 Cho-manno's Blessing
1 Reconnaissance - so ridiculous here
1 Seht's Tiger

Team Buffs
1 True Conviction

Ramp
1 Weathered Wayfarer
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Expedition Map
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Kor Cartographer
1 Caged Sun

Rest of the Dudes
1 Palisade Giant - probably janky, but I want to try it out.
1 Storm Herd
1 Angelic Arbiter
1 Shattered Angel
1 Guardian Seraph
1 Deathless Angel
1 Dust Elemental - 6/6 Fear and the ability to save my guys in a pinch.
1 Celestial Force
1 Gideon's Avenger
1 Galepowder Mage
1 Serra Avatar
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Emeria Angel

Lands
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Dust Bowl
1 Windbrisk Heights
35 Plains

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Last edited by shmebula on 2013-Jan-02 10:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-16 2:48 am 

I feel like you don't have enough tricks. You know, stuff like Ghostway or Invulnerability or Bathe in Light or Shining Shoal or Cho-Manno's Blessing or Divine Deflection or Seht's Tiger or Dawn Charm - instants that make your opponents seriously reconsider attacking you or targeting you or your permanents whenever you have untapped mana. I really like Gleam of Resistance. It's usually just a plains, but when it's late game and you need to deal more than 2 damage to each attacking creature it has that option as well.

I think one of your wrath effects could be exchanged for Martial Coup.

Sculpting Steel will fit into any deck and is especially useful in monowhite where you don't have great access to mana acceleration; you can piggyback on opponents' Gilded Lotuses. Alternatively, you could try to slow down your opponents' acceleration by adding both Leonin Arbiter and Aura of Silence. Either way, monowhite really needs to level the playing field, and those ways are generally considered more acceptable for casual than Cataclysm/Balancing Act.

With the Big Buffs you have, I think you don't need fatty creatures as much as you need evasive creatures. Jareth, Leonin Titan is a great target for Strata Scythe.

White has all kinds of cool, unique effects. Why not run a few of them in place of some of the same old stuff that you see in every game of EDH? I see Galepowder Mage, that's a good one, although it doesn't do much in this deck as you don't have many EtB abilities. I also like that you have Palisade Giant and Deathless Angel and Angelic Arbiter. There's also stuff like Purity and Reverse the Sands and Divine Presence and Samurai of the Pale Curtain and Glarecaster and Crackdown and Loxodon Gatekeeper.

Finally, you really should add Reconnaissance. It lets you deal first strike damage to a blocker, then untap and remove Brigid from harm's way, then tap her to deal another 2 damage to every blocker. It gets even better if you add something to give her vigilance as well, like Mammoth Umbra.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-16 3:52 am 

Thanks for the comments! As I mentioned before, I am trying to limit the cards to my card pool, but thankfully a lot of your good suggestions sitting around unused. I like your concept of using under-used cards, which was a goal for this deck (and other recent decks of mine). That is the reason why Galepowder Mage is in there. He's not there to abuse my own EtB effects, as he's probably there to remove a blocker most times (I haven't had a chance to play the deck yet, so who really knows).

intreped wrote:
I feel like you don't have enough tricks. You know, stuff like Ghostway or Invulnerability or Bathe in Light or Shining Shoal or Cho-Manno's Blessing or Divine Deflection or Seht's Tiger or Dawn Charm - instants that make your opponents seriously reconsider attacking you or targeting you or your permanents whenever you have untapped mana.

I love these suggestions. I had thought of adding fog effects like Holy Day and Safe Passage as a way to have people fear combat with me, but didn't fit them in. Of your list, I have Ghostaway, Bathe in Light, Seht's Tiger (which I really want to play), and Cho-Manno's Blessing. I should tak ea look at trying to squeeze these in.

Quote:
I think one of your wrath effects could be exchanged for Martial Coup.

I actually looked to add this card, but I realized I didn't own it, so I didn't.

Quote:
You could try to slow down your opponents' acceleration by adding both Leonin Arbiter and Aura of Silence.

I do have Aura of Silence in the deck, but don't own Leonin Arbiter. The group that I'm targetting this deck for is pretty casual and they don't run many fetch/tutor effects, so I'm good here.

Quote:
With the Big Buffs you have, I think you don't need fatty creatures as much as you need evasive creatures. Jareth, Leonin Titan is a great target for Strata Scythe.

I own and could add something like Augur iL-Vec, but I don't feel like I really have many buffs at all. I don't consider the 3 I have to be enough. My plan so far is to try to look like I'm not doing much in the early game in the hopes that people leave me alone for a while and/or get Brigid and one of her tools online early to prevent people from attacking me (though they'll likely avoid attacking at all since I could still wreck them), and get some later evasive fatty online. Not sure how well that will work.

Quote:
White has all kinds of cool, unique effects. Why not run a few of them in place of some of the same old stuff that you see in every game of EDH? I see Galepowder Mage, that's a good one, although it doesn't do much in this deck as you don't have many EtB abilities. I also like that you have Palisade Giant and Deathless Angel and Angelic Arbiter. There's also stuff like Purity and Reverse the Sands and Divine Presence and Samurai of the Pale Curtain and Glarecaster and Crackdown and Loxodon Gatekeeper.

I had Divine Presence in my list of cards, but when I started to think I was going for a longer game with bigger dudes, I figured it didn't have good synergy. I wanted to run it too when I thought I'd be going with a soldier theme.

Quote:
Finally, you really should add Reconnaissance. It lets you deal first strike damage to a blocker, then untap and remove Brigid from harm's way, then tap her to deal another 2 damage to every blocker. It gets even better if you add something to give her vigilance as well, like Mammoth Umbra.

HOW DID I MISS THE UNTAP PORTION OF RECONNAISSANCE?! That's awesome. I'm definitely going to have to add it. I typically dislike auras (outside of Bruna), but with the totem armor, boost (for potential general damage) and vigilance, I definitely need to squeeze that in too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Updates coming soon.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-17 9:52 pm 

Here are my updates to the deck:
+Brave the Elements: I liked your idea of Bathe in Light and for this deck, BtE is a better fit.
+Seht's Tiger
+Cho-Manno's Blessing
+Reconnaissance
+Mammoth Umbra

-Pilgrim's Eye: While goldfishing, I always felt like I had plenty of mana, so this cut wasn't tough.
-Alabaster Mage: I always felt like she was weak, though I was interested in playing with her, so it wasn't a tough cut.
-Breath of Life: I really wanted to try out BoL, but couldn't find many other cards I wanted to cut before playing the deck first.
-Stonecloaker: In the meta I'm playing this deck in, GY hate isn't terribly important, so this felt like a good cut. I will miss Stonecloaker though.
-Jar of Eyeballs: Again, this is a bummer because I wanted to try the Jar. Couldn't figure out what else to cut.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-18 9:30 pm 

I don't know if reconnaissance works that way: Damage isn't using the stack, and I don't think anyone gets priority between beween the first (first strike) combat damage and second (normal) combat damage steps.

Not a judge, so I could be wrong, but rule 500.11 states:

"500.11. No game events can occur between turns, phases, or steps"

And together with the assigning of damage during the damage step not using the stack, makes it hard to see how reconnaissance would save Brigid's b.tt.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-19 4:41 am 

green slime wrote:
I don't know if reconnaissance works that way: Damage isn't using the stack, and I don't think anyone gets priority between beween the first (first strike) combat damage and second (normal) combat damage steps.
Each player gets priority between first strike and regular. This is because they are two separate steps:
Comp Rules wrote:
506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. The declare blockers and combat damage steps are skipped if no creatures are declared as attackers or put onto the battlefield attacking (see rule 508.4). There are two combat damage steps if any attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4).
In order for a step (apart from cleanup and untap) to move on to the next step, each player must pass priority.
Comp Rules wrote:
500.2. A phase or step in which players receive priority ends when the stack is empty and all players pass in succession. Simply having the stack become empty doesn't cause such a phase or step to end; all players have to pass in succession with the stack empty. Because of this, each player gets a chance to add new things to the stack before that phase or step ends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-19 6:14 am 

intreped wrote:
green slime wrote:
Each player gets priority between first strike and regular. This is because they are two separate steps:
Comp Rules wrote:
506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. The declare blockers and combat damage steps are skipped if no creatures are declared as attackers or put onto the battlefield attacking (see rule 508.4). There are two combat damage steps if any attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4).
In order for a step (apart from cleanup and untap) to move on to the next step, each player must pass priority.
Comp Rules wrote:
500.2. A phase or step in which players receive priority ends when the stack is empty and all players pass in succession. Simply having the stack become empty doesn't cause such a phase or step to end; all players have to pass in succession with the stack empty. Because of this, each player gets a chance to add new things to the stack before that phase or step ends.

Ah... OK. Actually I missed 510.4. But I guess that is just part and parcel of the fun.

Rules could definitely be tidied up, IMO.

(BTW; thanks!)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-25 10:29 am 

I wanted Valor in another deck so I replaced it with Divine Reckoning. I know it's not ideal but I like DR here.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-27 2:18 am 

+ Intrepid Hero
- Mentor of the Meek There weren't enough guys to draw from, even though it was really sweet with Emeria Angel.

+ Phyrexian Rebirth
- Akroma's Vengeance

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-28 6:44 am 

Deck looks really good. How has it been in playing? Care to give a few tournament reports?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-02 10:56 am 

intreped wrote:
Deck looks really good. How has it been in playing? Care to give a few tournament reports?

I played it a few times this past weekend. I played her in about 3 three-player games and a one-on-one game. There's one problem I find with the deck (with my playgroup at least) and it's also something I've found in my Nin deck that has lots of deathtouch and pingers - once Brigid is online with a trick, the game just STALLS. I try to make deals like "If you attack that guy, I promise not to use Brigid (which I would totally uphold), but they never go for it, and just sit around until they can take out Brigid. It sort of makes the games a little boring in that regard. I might need to look into getting some high power threats in there, so when Brigid is online, I can actually win quickly, rather than languishing through some boring turns until something happens. In that regard it's a little disappointing.

Out of the 4 games this weekend, I won 1 of them and that was by equipping Strata Scythe and Armored Ascension to Brigid and just raping the guy's face. It wasn't exactly plan A.

Any tips people have for improving the deck to give it more inevitability would be appreciated. I'm thinking I might need more effects like Gideon to force attacks so I can clear the field when she's online. Maybe a Nemesis Mask would be a good addition? I think I might need more creature density too, though I'm thinking cuts are going to be tough to figure out.

Recent changes:
+Maze of Ith
+Windbrisk Heights

-Lightwielder Paladin
-Plains

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-03 4:47 am 

shmebula wrote:
I'm thinking I might need more effects like Gideon to force attacks so I can clear the field when she's online. Maybe a Nemesis Mask would be a good addition? I think I might need more creature density too, though I'm thinking cuts are going to be tough to figure out.

Luminarch Ascension takes care of both of those problems at the same time: makes big creatures for cheap, and makes players want to attack you a lot more. Angel's Trumpet is also really good at encouraging attacks, but it's not a creature.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-03 8:27 am 

intreped wrote:
green slime wrote:
Comp Rules wrote:
Comp Rules wrote:

Players do not receive priority during the combat damage step, so Rule 500.2 does not apply. I have never seen anyone state or allow responses between first strike and normal damage resolution under the current combat rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-03 12:49 pm 

intreped wrote:
shmebula wrote:
I'm thinking I might need more effects like Gideon to force attacks so I can clear the field when she's online. Maybe a Nemesis Mask would be a good addition? I think I might need more creature density too, though I'm thinking cuts are going to be tough to figure out.

Luminarch Ascension takes care of both of those problems at the same time: makes big creatures for cheap, and makes players want to attack you a lot more. Angel's Trumpet is also really good at encouraging attacks, but it's not a creature.

Nice. I think I have a spare Luminarch Ascension, so that could work out. I have Angel's Trumpet in my Kazuul deck, but I might have a spare for this deck too (though I may just need to buy some cards to make this deck better to play, sort of getting around part of the original intent).

Buthrakaur wrote:
Players do not receive priority during the combat damage step, so Rule 500.2 does not apply. I have never seen anyone state or allow responses between first strike and normal damage resolution under the current combat rules.

A valid combat trick is to block a bigger creature with a vampire equipped with Blade of the Bloodchief and Vampire Hexmage. After first strike damage is done, sacrifice the Vampire Hexmage to give extra counters to the equipped vampire. I'm certain that you have priority after first strike combat is done. I've done this on MODO tons of times.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-04 3:57 am 

Buthrakaur wrote:

Well, you're wrong. If players didn't receive priority during combat, it would make a bunch of spells totally unplayable: http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Acast ... rd&s=cname

Also there's this:
Comp Rules wrote:
500.3. A step in which no players receive priority ends when all specified actions that take place during that step are completed. The only such steps are the untap step (see rule 502) and certain cleanup steps (see rule 514).

510. Combat Damage Step
. . .
510.4. Fourth, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.
510.5. If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4) as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike. After that step, instead of proceeding to the end of combat step, the phase gets a second combat damage step. The only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are the remaining attackers and blockers that had neither first strike nor double strike as the first combat damage step began, as well as the remaining attackers and blockers that currently have double strike. After that step, the phase proceeds to the end of combat step.

Offline Profile