Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:10 pm

Post subject: Question about plagiarise
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 12:47 am 

If i have a hive mind under my control and i use a Plagiarize and multiple players chose the same target, what happens, since the replacement effect can't take place multiple times?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Question about plagiarise
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 12:56 am 

Temennigru wrote:
If i have a hive mind under my control and i use a Plagiarize and multiple players chose the same target, what happens, since the replacement effect can't take place multiple times?

Since it's a replacement and not a trigger, the person who is being affected by the original effect chooses which replacement effect to apply first ... and then which one next if any others still apply.

So every time the targeted player would draw a card that turn, they end up choosing who they want to draw a card instead (and it can be different for each card that they would draw.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 12:56 am 

My understanding is that has to do with layering.

So in turn order starting with you you declare who you are targeting, so the layers look like this

You target Player A
Second targets Player B
Third targets Player A
Fourth targets Player A

Then Player A attempts to draw a card, and just like the stack layering is last in first out.

Fourth player draws the cards from Player A

Third player attempts to draw from Player A but since they are no longer drawing any cards the Third player doesn't get to draw anything.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 1:02 am 

That would be the general way of figuring it out if it were a triggered ability, but as they are just replacement abilities, the person affected chooses which one first.

CompRules wrote:
616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 1:05 am 

Carthain wrote:
Temennigru wrote:

Since it's a replacement and not a trigger, the person who is being affected by the original effect chooses which replacement effect to apply first ... and then which one next if any others still apply.

So every time the targeted player would draw a card that turn, they end up choosing who they want to draw a card instead (and it can be different for each card that they would draw.)

That's great! So if i use that, someone targets me, i put in a consecrated sphinx and draw a card all the players who targeted me would lose =)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 1:11 am 

You'd have to do all that one the same turn that they Plagiarized you .. and hope they don't draw removal for your Sphinx... but otherwise, yeah. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 1:37 am 

Tim Proctor wrote:
My understanding is that has to do with layering.

So in turn order starting with you you declare who you are targeting, so the layers look like this

You target Player A
Second targets Player B
Third targets Player A
Fourth targets Player A

Then Player A attempts to draw a card, and just like the stack layering is last in first out.

Fourth player draws the cards from Player A

Third player attempts to draw from Player A but since they are no longer drawing any cards the Third player doesn't get to draw anything.

This situation has nothing to do with layers, and layers have absolutely nothing to do with what you are talking about. Layers determine the interaction of continuous effects, not on ordering of triggered abilities or replacement effects.

I strongly suggest you check out what the layers actually are in Comprehensive Rules section 613 (because they do matter) or, failing that, just don't attribute things to layers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-26 3:50 am 

Carthain wrote:
You'd have to do all that one the same turn that they Plagiarized you .. and hope they don't draw removal for your Sphinx... but otherwise, yeah. :)

Man that would be awesome combo =)
Still, with a blue deck if someone removes my sphinx in response to it's ability i can just draw another card in response and still kill them =P

Offline Profile