Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-15 10:46 am




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:23 pm 

Joined: 2012-Apr-09 10:38 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence. And i didn't even get to test mine =(

_________________
Teeka's Dragon + Grafted Exoskeleton + Magebane Armor + Lure is my personal favorite combo.
Current decks: Child of Alara Tribal Enchantment Deck
Soon to be: Mishra's Double Donger Artifact Steal Deck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Sep-01 2:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11767

It's a topic that's roughly halfway down the page.

_________________
Current decks: Sheoldred, Whispering One, Kaalia of the Vast
Working on: Vela the Night-Clad, Riku of Two Reflections, Zedruu the Greathearted


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:32 pm 

Joined: 2010-Sep-11 12:19 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Short story:

He was even more easily broken then Bargain, which is banned because its not even nearly as easy to cheat into play or recur, as Griselbranned, and itself is broken.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Apr-01 1:06 pm
Age: Drake
Temennigru wrote:
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence. And i didn't even get to test mine =(

??? Necropotence sends the cards to the hand at EOT, plus you skip your draw phase and all that. Not to mention that you can't Entomb/Exhume Necropotence, AND it can't be your general, AND you can't gain back the life you lost by swinging.

_________________
If you can't kill it with a counterspell or a wrath, it might be just a bit broken


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:37 pm 

Joined: 2010-Sep-11 12:19 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence. And i didn't even get to test mine =(

??? Necropotence sends the cards to the hand at EOT, plus you skip your draw phase and all that. Not to mention that you can't Entomb/Exhume Necropotence, AND it can't be your general, AND you can't gain back the life you lost by swinging.


Caps lock this entire post, and it would sound like it was coming from me. Which, it almost did.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:55 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Joz wrote:
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence. And i didn't even get to test mine =(

??? Necropotence sends the cards to the hand at EOT, plus you skip your draw phase and all that. Not to mention that you can't Entomb/Exhume Necropotence, AND it can't be your general, AND you can't gain back the life you lost by swinging.


Caps lock this entire post, and it would sound like it was coming from me. Which, it almost did.

Read Abolisher's post on the thread "Updating the Banned List", the paragraph about Survival. Take out the part where he mentions me, and what you just said applies there too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:55 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jan-16 5:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Toronto, ON
Temennigru wrote:
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence.
Without offense, basically everyone disagrees with you.

1. His cost is immaterial mostly because you can get him into play easily with Animate Dead. Getting him into the graveyard is not at all difficult; there is Entomb and Buried Alive, any tutor including top-of-deck varieties (Vampiric Tutor, Worldly Tutor, Demonic Tutor) combined with a 'looting' effect (Careful Study, Frantic Search, many, many others).

2. He draws cards instantly. Necropotence manages to skirt the ban list I think in part because you get the cards at the end of the turn; if someone is going to point removal at it, you'll only be able to get the cards at the end of turn. Griselbrand gives you the cards right away, allowing you to dig for a counterspell. It's especially good with freebies, like Force of Will, Misdirection or Foil, since the alternative costs for these cards is trivial once you're drawing a ton. This allows him to protect himself against almost anything in decks involving blue.

3. He draws lots of cards. Sorta like 2, except that it means you will always have answers for everything, always hit your land drops, and land your threats.

4. 7/7 flying lifelink is a big deal. It means someone attacking into an untapped Griselbrand is probably doing negligible damage. He's also a beating.

Quote:
And i didn't even get to test mine =(

Me neither, but I'm not sure I had to.

_________________
Check out my old column, Generally Speaking, at CommanderCast.com
http://www.commandercast.com/category/a ... y-speaking

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 5:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-Aug-15 9:31 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
I think you guys might have just gotten the hell trolled out of you. He didn't even TRY to validate that statement about Necro.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 4:05 am 

Joined: 2011-Jul-19 6:28 am
Age: Drake
Quote:
And i didn't even get to test mine =(

Me neither, but I'm not sure I had to.[/quote]

I managed to Mimeoplasm one from an opponent, as soon as that thing hit the board it was game over, losing 28life to basically win the game is crazy.

But I might add that I wouldn't shun someone for running it a couple of times to see just how dumb the new card can be. (Its a bit of a bummer to open a griselbrand and not be able to play it atleast once imo)

_________________
<insert Generic sounding cool quote here>


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 7:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jan-16 5:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Toronto, ON
Nimbleroo wrote:
I managed to Mimeoplasm one from an opponent, as soon as that thing hit the board it was game over, losing 28life to basically win the game is crazy.

But I might add that I wouldn't shun someone for running it a couple of times to see just how dumb the new card can be. (Its a bit of a bummer to open a griselbrand and not be able to play it atleast once imo)
I'll play pretty much anything with anyone. I don't really care if someone wants to play any/all of the cards on the banlist; I only really care if everyone is having fun.

All I'm saying is that it is not really all that surprising Gris got officially banned, given that he's a direct analogue to a card banned for being famously powerful. Whether a group actually uses the official ban list is another question entirely.

_________________
Check out my old column, Generally Speaking, at CommanderCast.com
http://www.commandercast.com/category/a ... y-speaking

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 9:48 am 

Joined: 2012-Apr-09 10:38 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence. And i didn't even get to test mine =(

??? Necropotence sends the cards to the hand at EOT, plus you skip your draw phase and all that. Not to mention that you can't Entomb/Exhume Necropotence, AND it can't be your general, AND you can't gain back the life you lost by swinging.

Yes but with necropotence you can pay 39 life and draw 39 cards. With griselbrand you can only pay in blocks of 7. They should've just banned him as a commander.
Also, Bruna is way more broken than griselbrand and they didnt ban her.

_________________
Teeka's Dragon + Grafted Exoskeleton + Magebane Armor + Lure is my personal favorite combo.
Current decks: Child of Alara Tribal Enchantment Deck
Soon to be: Mishra's Double Donger Artifact Steal Deck


Last edited by Temennigru on 2012-Jul-05 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 9:49 am 

Joined: 2012-Apr-09 10:38 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Sinis wrote:
Nimbleroo wrote:
I managed to Mimeoplasm one from an opponent, as soon as that thing hit the board it was game over, losing 28life to basically win the game is crazy.

But I might add that I wouldn't shun someone for running it a couple of times to see just how dumb the new card can be. (Its a bit of a bummer to open a griselbrand and not be able to play it atleast once imo)
I'll play pretty much anything with anyone. I don't really care if someone wants to play any/all of the cards on the banlist; I only really care if everyone is having fun.

All I'm saying is that it is not really all that surprising Gris got officially banned, given that he's a direct analogue to a card banned for being famously powerful. Whether a group actually uses the official ban list is another question entirely.

You say that because no one used a black lotus to put an emrakul on the first turn against you.

_________________
Teeka's Dragon + Grafted Exoskeleton + Magebane Armor + Lure is my personal favorite combo.
Current decks: Child of Alara Tribal Enchantment Deck
Soon to be: Mishra's Double Donger Artifact Steal Deck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 11:20 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Temennigru wrote:
Sinis wrote:
Nimbleroo wrote:
I managed to Mimeoplasm one from an opponent, as soon as that thing hit the board it was game over, losing 28life to basically win the game is crazy.

But I might add that I wouldn't shun someone for running it a couple of times to see just how dumb the new card can be. (Its a bit of a bummer to open a griselbrand and not be able to play it atleast once imo)
I'll play pretty much anything with anyone. I don't really care if someone wants to play any/all of the cards on the banlist; I only really care if everyone is having fun.

All I'm saying is that it is not really all that surprising Gris got officially banned, given that he's a direct analogue to a card banned for being famously powerful. Whether a group actually uses the official ban list is another question entirely.

You say that because no one used a black lotus to put an emrakul on the first turn against you.
No, but I did see someone drop Black Lotus and three moxes, play Tolarian Academy, cast Protean Hulk, and use Recurring Nightmare on it to get Metalworker and Painter's Servant.

I also lost to a guy who Panoptic Mirror'd a Biorhythm.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 11:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Apr-01 1:06 pm
Age: Drake
Temennigru wrote:
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
I mean it's not as overpowered as necropotence. And i didn't even get to test mine =(

??? Necropotence sends the cards to the hand at EOT, plus you skip your draw phase and all that. Not to mention that you can't Entomb/Exhume Necropotence, AND it can't be your general, AND you can't gain back the life you lost by swinging.

Yes but with necropotence you can pay 39 life and draw 39 cards. With griselbrand you can only pay in blocks of 7. They should've just banned him as a commander.
Also, Bruna is way more broken than griselbrand and they didnt ban her.

Ohh, I can pay 4 more life to draw 4 more cards...... and then die to a stray pyroclasm variant. Oh yeah, I forgot, now I can't swing for 7 with my enchantment, my enchantment can't block, and my enchantment can't gain me life whenever it deals damage. And once my enchantment dies, I'm not going to be able to recover it easily.

And please, humor me as to why Bruna is more broken then Griselbrand. This should be fun.

I think trevor is right.

_________________
If you can't kill it with a counterspell or a wrath, it might be just a bit broken


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why was griselbrand banned?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 12:04 pm 

Joined: 2012-Apr-11 7:17 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
I think trevor is right.

Nah, the OP just does not understand the difference between powerful and broken.

He lost to Bruna, so it should be banned. No one killed him with Griselbanned yet, so he's cool.

_________________
sir squab wrote:
My... history of buying Magic cards is probably a tapestry of bad financial decisions >_>
niheloim wrote:
No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sinis and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: