Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Aug-18 11:00 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 1:24 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-May-11 4:47 pm
Age: Drake
Please ignore this thread if you hate Griselbrand or are extremely happy about its banning.

Griselbrand, you have not been with us for very long, but we must say goodbye. You are a badass card, you make black a stronger color, you have massive flavor value to combat the recent surge of angels, but you are just too strong to keep. I'm going to miss dropping you and kicking everyone's ass with my Kaalia deck. Today is the last day we have with you, so let's not waste it.

-Master Baiter.

_________________
I propose that to solve all the format's problems now and for ever, ban every card in the game that says "library", "search", "destroy", "exile", "all", "battlefield", "graveyard", "draw", "untap", or "damage" on the card. Also, anything with a semi-questionable color identity, anything that is remotely comparable to something on the banlist, and anything that brings up conflicts or loopholes in the rules.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 1:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Aug-06 1:54 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: USA
I'm more sad about Sundering Titan. I was the only guy playing it in my group(s) and really it wasn't terribly broken how I played with it. There was a plan to get it altered like my Darksteel Colossus and Steel Hellkite... good thing I didn't waste the money.

Good bye Sundering Titan. Now I must replace you with some other janky artifact creature or Blightsteel Colossus.

_________________
A few of my EDH Generals:
~ Mayael the Anima - Mayael the 5-Power Stompy
~ Marath, Will of the Wild - An EDH Teacher deck (Tribal Beasts)
~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 1:45 pm 

Joined: 2008-Nov-30 12:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
On the one hand, I think the RC made the right decision, without caveat.

On the other hand, if we're allowing "but..." caveats... I am sad to see him go so quickly.

I JUST friggin got my Savra deck tuned up to be playable. Griselbrand was undeniably the centerpeice of that deck, though I was careful to balance it so that abusing him wasn't going to be the Plan A every single game.

Now I'll never get to know if I hit the target with that deck or not. :(

Also, I think Grizzelbees is legit in Kaalia decks. Those decks desperately need the gas to keep applying pressure through removal. I'd be willing to house-rule allowing Grizzelbees to be played in Kaalia decks only, because frankly they need the help.

(Then again, I've yet to see a Kaalia deck lose a game after dropping Griselbanned regardless of what turn it is. He hits play, it might be over immediately or it could take another half-hour but his presence definitely decides the outcome one way or another.)

Well, I'm off to completely redo the fucking deck I just spent two weeks working on and have to now overhaul before I could play more than two live games with... :(

_________________
The Command Zone (my MTG Blog).
Commander 2015 Set Review


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 1:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
thaumaturge wrote:
Well, I'm off to completely redo the fucking deck I just spent two weeks working on and have to now overhaul before I could play more than two live games with... :(
Thaum, you know I have a lot of respect for you (btw, played the Doran deck you rebuilt for me last night - had a BLAST and the deck is awesome :D ) but if you have to "completely redo" the deck because one card got banned - not even the general! - wouldn't that point to that one card being format-altering (or at the very least deck-altering) and therefore worthy of the ban?

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 2:00 pm 

Joined: 2010-Sep-11 12:19 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
*takes deep breath*

AND GOOD RIDDANCE!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 2:10 pm 

Joined: 2011-Aug-18 3:35 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
thaumaturge wrote:
On the one hand, I think the RC made the right decision, without caveat.

On the other hand, if we're allowing "but..." caveats... I am sad to see him go so quickly.

I JUST friggin got my Savra deck tuned up to be playable. Griselbrand was undeniably the centerpeice of that deck, though I was careful to balance it so that abusing him wasn't going to be the Plan A every single game.

Now I'll never get to know if I hit the target with that deck or not. :(

Also, I think Grizzelbees is legit in Kaalia decks. Those decks desperately need the gas to keep applying pressure through removal. I'd be willing to house-rule allowing Grizzelbees to be played in Kaalia decks only, because frankly they need the help.

(Then again, I've yet to see a Kaalia deck lose a game after dropping Griselbanned regardless of what turn it is. He hits play, it might be over immediately or it could take another half-hour but his presence definitely decides the outcome one way or another.)

Well, I'm off to completely redo the fucking deck I just spent two weeks working on and have to now overhaul before I could play more than two live games with... :(


Kaalia decks do not need any help... They got enough boost from AVR that even without Griselbrand they're just fine.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 2:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-May-11 4:47 pm
Age: Drake
Epsilon wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
On the one hand, I think the RC made the right decision, without caveat.

On the other hand, if we're allowing "but..." caveats... I am sad to see him go so quickly.

I JUST friggin got my Savra deck tuned up to be playable. Griselbrand was undeniably the centerpeice of that deck, though I was careful to balance it so that abusing him wasn't going to be the Plan A every single game.

Now I'll never get to know if I hit the target with that deck or not. :(

Also, I think Grizzelbees is legit in Kaalia decks. Those decks desperately need the gas to keep applying pressure through removal. I'd be willing to house-rule allowing Grizzelbees to be played in Kaalia decks only, because frankly they need the help.

(Then again, I've yet to see a Kaalia deck lose a game after dropping Griselbanned regardless of what turn it is. He hits play, it might be over immediately or it could take another half-hour but his presence definitely decides the outcome one way or another.)

Well, I'm off to completely redo the fucking deck I just spent two weeks working on and have to now overhaul before I could play more than two live games with... :(


Kaalia decks do not need any help... They got enough boost from AVR that even without Griselbrand they're just fine.

cough*Gisela and Avacyn,*cough

_________________
I propose that to solve all the format's problems now and for ever, ban every card in the game that says "library", "search", "destroy", "exile", "all", "battlefield", "graveyard", "draw", "untap", or "damage" on the card. Also, anything with a semi-questionable color identity, anything that is remotely comparable to something on the banlist, and anything that brings up conflicts or loopholes in the rules.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 6:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-May-09 10:39 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Joz wrote:
*takes deep breath*

AND GOOD RIDDANCE!

This.

While I'll miss going:

"Sundering Titan, Sculpting Steel Sundering Titan, Goblin Welder the Sculpting Steel into Winter Orb end of turn", this is nothing but a positive change.

Griselbrand was beyond ridiculous so won't be shedding a tear there.
Good job RC! :)

_________________
Generals:
Jasmine Boreal - Flower power! Nature/Justice/Retribution themed casual fun.
Radha, Heir to Keld - All white-bordered!
Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 7:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Jul-13 6:05 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Monmouth, OR
"Dear Griselbrand,

You were su..."

Banned.

There you go, my goodbye letter to Griselbrand. Cut short beyond imagination.

_________________
onlainari the ragequitter: http://www.mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewt ... 199#p72199

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 8:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
Managed to not have to face Griselbanned. Not gonna complain.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO SUNDERING TITAN!

And Kaalia decks DO NOT need the help. Having to put up with turn 4 Avacyn or Angel of Despair is bad enough thank you very much.

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-19 11:02 pm 

Joined: 2009-Apr-21 3:38 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Palm Springs Area, CA
Gonna say, had more fun with grissy than with most generals in my monoblack. Certainly played better than Geth for everyone at the table... but we all try to play fairly. I can imagine how bad he could be for groups with a few a holes.

_________________
3DH4L1F3


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-20 5:27 am 

Joined: 2008-Nov-30 12:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Viperion wrote:
Thaum, you know I have a lot of respect for you (btw, played the Doran deck you rebuilt for me last night - had a BLAST and the deck is awesome ) but if you have to "completely redo" the deck because one card got banned - not even the general! - wouldn't that point to that one card being format-altering (or at the very least deck-altering) and therefore worthy of the ban?


A) You're absolutely right, and I already knew that - that's why I said it was the right move on the RC's part, even if it spoils my fun a bit.

B) I was intentionally overstating the case, in the spirit of this thread which is fairly absurd. I was going for obvious over-the-top but I guess I missed the mark. In the end, I'm only changing three cards as a direct result of the ban, but the lack of Griselbrand is still HUGELY significant since I pretty much built the deck primarly as a way to abuse his power while he was still legal - just took a bit too long to actually get it up and running. :(



C) Glad to hear Doran is working out okay! :)

_________________
The Command Zone (my MTG Blog).
Commander 2015 Set Review


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-20 12:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
:) Sorry mate, my exaggeration-ometer must have been broken (shakes it vigorously, cogs and springs fall out) :D

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-20 12:24 pm 

Joined: 2008-Nov-30 12:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Viperion wrote:
:) Sorry mate, my exaggeration-ometer must have been broken (shakes it vigorously, cogs and springs fall out) :D


No worries. It's a simple fact of internet communication that not everything always carries over.

_________________
The Command Zone (my MTG Blog).
Commander 2015 Set Review


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Letter to Griselbrand
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-20 12:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Goodbye Toby, it's been nice. Hope you find your, paradise! Come tomorrow, feel no pain! FEEL NO PAIN!

Toby! Toby! Toobbyyy! Toby's goin' away!

See ya! He's going! See ya! He's outta here!

Oh yeah! Goodbye Toby! Goodbye Toby! Goodbye Toby! Goodbye Toby!

Image

_________________


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: