Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: [1:N, Glissa] Mistress Glissa…
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-21 2:09 pm 

Ow, lol, a little too fanatical with the cuts I suppose. I could have sworn I left at least one more in. I guess either Pernicious deed or The Abyss should be in, my first thought is the former rather than the latter due to the lower mana cost and quick rather than slow effect. I want to run a number of test hands to see what is bottlenecking me. I did about 10 test hands so far and have seen everything from turn 3 to turn 6 kills, some of which through my own disruption. One realization from this was that I can actually go off at 4 mana: active Druid & Will in hand after I've drawn my card for the turn. It actually came up in 2 hands, in one I had drawn Will and in the other I had an additional Vampiric Tutor.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-22 7:27 am 

I hope you don’t mind I borrow your thread. I’d rather talk about the concept of the Glissa deck than a specific decklist, and there are so many different threads that I don’t feel to make my own. But considering that your other thread evolved into a megathread, I assume you won’t mind. Did you get to play your deck by the way, and if you did, how did it go?

This is my Glissa deck. It’s not the combo beast that Pi writes about, it has a more controllish approach instead. I aim to exploit both Glissa’s deathtouch and her recursion ability. The weak part of the deck is that it doesn’t win quickly, though I made sure it’ll be very hard for my opponents to keep creatures around between consistent Grave Pact triggering, Glissa machinegunning, artifact recursion (notably Executioner’s Capsule) and old-fashioned sweepers The deck started as a Savra deck, and you could recognize some leftovers. This makes the deck a good fit for the new Harvester of Souls. A brief summary of key interactions:

-Recursion. Quite obvious with Glissa around, because you can use the graveyard as an extension of your hand. I didn’t go all-out on artifacts, because there are so many other nice things to run. But between Glissa and Tortured Existence, the deck has a good amount of recursion. I did load up on…
-Creature kill. 187 creatures in addition to forced sacrifice effects and recurring artifacts. Killing creatures triggers Glissa (duh), so this goes hand in hand with the first point.
-Graveyard protection. I’m sure someone wants to eat all those cards I have in the yard, so I’d better make sure I don’t depend on it. That’s why I run Riftsweeper and, um, Elixir of Immortality. This could be any Eldrazi, if only I had one besides the prerelease spaghetti monster. I’ve run Loaming Shaman for a while (with Winding Canyons), but it’s not really what I want. Elixir is “okay”. Against targeted removal, dumb tricks with Tortured Existence work.
-Reanimation. With big fat graveyards, it make sense to bring some of the dead back to life. But to be less depending on my on yard, I’ve included ways to reap other people’s property. There’s not that much in the deck that I need to cheat into play anyway, so if there’s something in your deck that lets me win: fine by me.
-Sacrifice fodder. I want to trigger Grave Pact and Harvester of Souls, so I included some nice creatures like Yavimaya Elder instead of spells like Cultivate.

Now, on to the decklist. I’ve considered most valid options in these colors, and I happen to have a lot of cards. Most obvious cards aren’t in it for some reason. Feel free to suggest cards or question my choices, but I’ll likely ignore them because I’m fairly sure it’ll lead to some degenerate combo I’ve excluded on purpose. However, if you have any pre-Urza block suggestions, please let me know!

Glissa the traitor

Fat creatures
Butcher of Malakir
Rune-Scarred Demon
Harvester of Souls
Wurmcoil Engine -MVP

Utility creatures
Riftsweeper
Hermit Druid

Removal creatures
Shriekmaw
Big game hunter -sweet with Survival/Existence
Acidic slime
Woodfall Primus -it’s this or Terastodon, and I have Hex Parasite in this deck
Steel Hellkite
Bane of the Living -I needed a way to destroy hexproof angels, and it’s this, BSZ or Mutilate… and I can recur creatures easily

Artifact utility creatures
Duplicant
Hex Parasite -OMNOMNOM
Sylvok Replica
Land searchers
sakura tribe elder
yavimaya elder
Diligent Farmhand
Solemn Simulacrum

Recursion
Puppeteer clique
Ink-Eyes, servant of Oni -did I mention I have a promo subtheme?
Geth, Lord of the Vault
eternal witness
Genesis

Sacrificial Lambs
Nether traitor -one of my favorite cards
Reassembling skeletons
Gravecrawler
Pawn of Ulamog

Board control
Pernicious deed
Oblivion Stone -I should run Darksteel Plate
Damnation
Living dead
Grave pact
Powder Keg -against tokens

Control
Beast Within
Primal Command -I like it, because it’s versatile
Executioner’s Capsule

Card draw/manipulation
Sylvan library -no room for Abundance
Sensei’s divining top
Sword of Fire and Ice

Tutors –I’ve cut most tutors, but the following cards are amongst my favorite magic cards. I wouldn’t mind a format without tutors though.
demonic tutor
vampiric tutor
Survival of the Fittest

Recursion
Tortured Existence
Elixir of Immortality
life from the loam
Nim Deathmantle

Fodder
Tombstone Stairwell -this is insane with Glissa around

Utility
skullclamp
Lightning greaves
Swiftfoot boots
Thornbite staff -ping
Loxodon Warhammer -trample is good with deathtouch, more power is good with first strike
Phyrexian Furnace
Nihil Spellbomb

Altars
Altar of Dementia
Greater Good
Helm of Possession
Culling dais

Mana
Mana crypt
Sol ring

Lands 38 of them
swamp 10x
forest 9x
cabal coffers
Leechridden swamp
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva
Twilight mire
Bujoka Bog
barren moor
Tranquil thicket
tainted wood
Bayou
Overgrown tomb
Llanowar wastes
Golgari rotfarm
mosswort bridge
Maze of Ith
verdant catacombs
Reliquary tower
Winding Canyons
Grim Backwoods

The 101st card at the moment is Necromancy, the 102st card is Jester’s cap. I’d like to work them in somehow. Likewise, Death Cloud could have a spot as a finisher.

Decks change over time, you can find my current decklist below:

I've cut some tutoring/dredging stuff, so the deck won't play out the same way every game. I want to strengthen the deathtouch theme, and I'm still looking for a non-infinite way to win quickly. Without Hermit Druid LftL will be on the chopping board. I was thinking of Psychosis Crawler, but without angry druids I won't be having a grip full of cards. I'm leaning towards Grave Titan.

Themes: deathtouch, sacrifice triggers and raiding your graveyard, lotsa artifacts

1 Glissa, the traitor

Fat
1 Butcher of Malakir
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Harvester of Souls
1 Grave Titan
Artifat
1 Wurmcoil Engine
Removal creatures
1 Fleshbag marauder
1 Slum Reaper
1 Shriekmaw
1 Acidic slime
1 Steel Hellkite
Artifact utility creatures (and sacrificial robotic lambs)
1 Duplicant
1 Hex Parasite
1 Sylvok Replica
1 Moriok Replica
1 Scarecrone
Land searchers
1 sakura-tribe elder
1 yavimaya elder
1 Solemn Simulacrum
Recursion/cheat
1 Puppeteer clique
1 Ink-Eyes, servant of Oni
1 Eternal Witness
Sacrificial Lambs
1 Bloodghast
1 Nether traitor
1 Reassembling skeletons
1 Gravecrawler
Board control
1 Pernicious deed
1 Nevinyrrals disk
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Damnation
1 Grave pact
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ratchet Bomb
Control
1 Beast Within
1 Primal Command
1 "Executioner’s Capsule
"

Card draw
1 Sylvan library
1 SDT
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Skullclamp
Tutors
1 demonic tutor
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Expedition Map
Recursion (recurring your stuff, preferrably)
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Mimic Vat
1 Codex Shredder
1 Grave Betrayal
Fodder
1 Tombstone Stairwell
Equipment
1 Thornbite staff
1 Darksteel Plate
1 Lightning greaves
1 Swiftfoot boots
1 O-naginata
1 Loxodon Warhammer
Utility
1 Phyrexian Furnace
1 Nihil Spellbomb
Altars
1 Altar of Dementia
1 Greater Good
1 Helm of Possession
Mana
1 Mana crypt
1 Sol ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Mind Stone
Lands
9 swamp
9 forest
1 cabal coffers
1 Leechridden swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vesuva
1 Twilight mire
1 Bujoka Bog
1 barren moor
1 Tranquil thicket <- Wooded foothills
1 tainted wood
1 Bayou
1 Overgrown tomb
1 Llanowar wastes
1 Golgari rotfarm
1 Maze of Ith
1 verdant catacombs
1 Reliquary tower
1 Winding Canyons
1 Grim Backwoods
1 Forbidden Orchard

Last edited by Shabbaman on 2012-Dec-09 9:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-22 8:13 am 

Of course I don't mind, much more convenient if it's all in one place. I do think the difference between our goals with the decks might be too large so recommendations for one of the decks might not benefit the other, but let's see how it goes.

Unfortunately I have been a little short on money so couldn't yet acquire the last few cards I want for the deck. I should also still work Pernicious Deed back into the list and see if there are some updates to be done for Avacyn Restored. (I've also spent some time working on a 'good' grouphug deck, working on uber competitive combo is fun, but it makes me feel a bit dirty, so needed to compensate).

Could Scarecrone be interesting in your deck? You do have quite a few artifact creatures you might want to recur. Myr Propagator could be a cute token generator. I'd be tempted to play Nevinyrral's Disk as well. Could Kagemaro, First to Suffer be a better Bane of the Living? You should be able to keep a pretty full hand I think. I think I would like Engineered Explosives slightly better than Powder Keg. Is there a reason for Sylvan Library over Scroll Rack?

There is absolutely no way I would not be playing Fleshbag Marauder in your deck.

You've card-tagged Land searchers ;).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-22 1:04 pm 

What, you don't know Land searchers? It's the best!

The reason I'm not running Scroll Rack is that I can't find my one copy of it. I think it's somewhere in my common box. I like Sylvan Library better anyway since it nets me cards, but that it's in this deck is more as a leftover from the time where I had more dredge cards and draw replacement opportunities (think Abundance). But it's not an artifact and it doesn't really fit.

About EE and Disk; I have 1 EE that's in a deck with Trinket Mages so I just put Keg in. Against sweeping tokens there's not much difference between them. And Disk, well, lack of space. I might cut Pawn of Ulamog.

Kagemaro is a nice one, it can double up as a finisher. I could put Blood Speaker back in :) You're right about Fleshbag Marauder. I cut it for Tortured Existence and Big Game Hunter before Harvester of Souls went in, but with Harvester Fbag makes a lot of sense.

I actually have Scarecrone on a shortlist. I've never really played with the card, and it popped up in a search for artifacts that can draw cards. It didn't make the cut because I tried to minimize reanimating from my own graveyard, but it draws a card and can sacrifice itself. I could try that, or perhaps Kuldotha Forgemaster.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-25 4:36 am 

Yeah, but copies are all but impossible to find... :)

Rack would fit better, but if you can't find your copy I would not trade for one right now, its price just skyrocketed.

Fleshbag makes a lot of sense anyway, especially with something bringing it back. It's like 2B zorcery: everybody but me sac a creature, return a bunch of artifacts from the yard (if Glissa's in play) that's easier to recur than most cards. The only decks good at keeping up with Fleshbag recursion are commited token decks. I've always loved the card whenever I draw it in any deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-25 5:56 am 

I'm quite the zombie-fan, so I put Fbag in about every deck possible :) But like I said, I had to make room for BGH when I put Tortured Existence in... but drawing cards off of Harvester is worth putting it back in. I'm cutting Pawn of Ulamog for it. Finding a Scarecrone proves to be harder than I imagined as well, though admittedly not as hard as finding a Scroll rack :p

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-25 6:09 am 

I recently built myself a glissa infect deck, full of wanderer's twigs wayfarers baubleand the like, a few spell bombs.

3 cards I found really good for this were spinebiter, phyrexian swarmlord and parallel lives, and does wonders against indestructible critters..

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-25 10:20 am 

That's an interesting take on it. It won't let me solve the Sigarda, Host of Herons problem directly, but it won't take many hits before people start blocking with Sigarda :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-29 10:41 am 

Let me post an updated list as well then:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [OD] Deserted Temple
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 [AQ] Mishra's Workshop
1 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
1 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [CHK] Forbidden Orchard
1 [AP] Llanowar Wastes
1 [EVE] Twilight Mire
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [MR] Glimmervoid
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
1 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [B] Bayou
1 [WL] Gemstone Mine
1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
1 [ON] Polluted Delta
1 [VI] Undiscovered Paradise
1 [EX] City of Traitors
1 [TE] Ancient Tomb
1 [MI] Crystal Vein
1 [AN] City of Brass
1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold
1 [RAV] Golgari Rot Farm
1 [CFX] Exotic Orchard
1 [LG] Urborg
1 [SHM] Leechridden Swamp
1 [CMD] Command Tower
1 [MR] Tree of Tales
1 [MR] Vault of Whispers
1 [SHM] Sapseep Forest
1 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
1 [CHK] Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
1 [AN] Bazaar of Baghdad
1 [DKA] Haunted Fengraf

// Creatures
1 [SH] Hermit Druid

// Spells
1 [US] Smokestack
1 [B] Sol Ring
1 [MR] Oblivion Stone
1 [OD] Innocent Blood
1 [B] Regrowth
1 [B] Demonic Tutor
1 [VI] Vampiric Tutor
1 [P3] Imperial Seal
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [B] Dark Ritual
1 [BIN] Mana Crypt
1 [B] Mana Vault
1 [UL] Grim Monolith
1 [TE] Lotus Petal
1 [B] Winter Orb
1 [NE] Tangle Wire
1 [SOM] Mox Opal
1 [UD] Thran Dynamo
1 [US] Yawgmoth's Will
1 [RAV] Golgari Signet
1 [ALA] Executioner's Capsule
1 [JU] Krosan Reclamation
1 [DS] Death Cloud
1 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
1 [NPH] Noxious Revival
1 [TE] Scroll Rack
1 [TE] Static Orb
1 [MI] Worldly Tutor
1 [PT] Sylvan Tutor
1 [RAV] Shred Memory
1 [RAV] Chord of Calling
1 [ON] Syphon Mind
1 [IA] Necropotence
1 [UL] Defense Grid
1 [US] Voltaic Key
1 [LRW] Rings of Brighthearth
1 [B] Basalt Monolith
1 [EX] Reclaim
1 [ST] Grim Tutor
1 [TSP] Smallpox
1 [VI] City of Solitude
1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
1 [WL] Phyrexian Furnace
1 [ZEN] Expedition Map
1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
1 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
1 [WL] Mind Stone
1 [MR] Scrabbling Claws
1 [UL] Crop Rotation
1 [ALA] Ad Nauseam
1 [B] Nevinyrral's Disk
1 [DS] Reap and Sow
1 [LG] Sylvan Library
1 [US] Worn Powerstone
1 [PLC] Imp's Mischief
1 [MI] Shallow Grave
1 [IA] Pox
1 [EX] Oath of Druids
1 [TE] Mirri's Guile
1 [AP] Pernicious Deed
1 [AVR] Vessel of Endless Rest
1 [TE] Corpse Dance

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor

These are tha changes:

1 [EX] Null Brooch moves out to make room for 1 [TE] Corpse Dance

The aim of the Brooch was to protect my combo, however, when will I have the time to both cast it before I combo and keep 2 mana up when I combo? Do I really want to ditch my hand to it? Possibly I'd do the latter, but the former is really what's keeping it down. In theory it's a nice card, but in practice it's too expensive. On the other hand I really like having another way to get the Hermit back and giving it haste as I feel killing the Hermit is likely how my deck will be stopped. The Dance also works nicely with Glissa in the sense that I can now let her die to something, let her stay in my graveyard for a bit, then return her when some mass removal is played. It certainly won't be a major synergetic component of the deck, but I reckon it's probably usable at times.

1 [CHK] Reito Lantern moves out to make room for 1 [AVR] Vessel of Endless Rest

The Latern is the easiest way to keep myself from decking and it acts as graveyard removal in a pinch. By playing the Vessel I will reduce my ability in both areas, however, how much will I really need to keep myself from decking? Scroll Rack an Necropotence are also fairly good at it. Then the question is, do I need more graveyard removal? Not really, I have quite a bit already. Mostly the Latern also makes it easier to start my land life loss combo, but between Reclaim, Noxious Revival and the Vessel of Endless Rest I can put 2 of them on top anyway, with 1 to spare. The Vessel has the slight upside that it will also tap for mana and of any color to boot. On the whole I think the Vessel is an upgrade to the Latern.

1 [UL] Memory Jar moves out to make room for 1 [AP] Pernicious Deed

Finally I needed to cut something to make room for Pernicious Deed (as I need another black permanent). After much consideration I have decided that while Memory Jar is a pretty good draw card, I probably don't really want to be giving my opponents extra cards. They're bound to draw into some instants that might mess with my plans. The Deed could easily turn into a copy of The Abyss should it turn out that I'm too often hitting my own artifacts with it. My intuition tells me that the Deed is the better card to play though.

Adding the Deed makes the land combo kill slightly easier.

The Disk is on its way to me, I now only have to find a decently priced Bayou.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-29 10:27 pm 

Necromancy could fill the same purpose as Corpse Dance, but the card might be better. At least it's more versatile. Or is it the hasty druid you're after?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-29 11:33 pm 

The hasty Druid is most certainly what I am after. I don't want to lose it to a well timed Swords or Path and being able to activate it right away is slightly more efficient on my mana (needing less mana in the Will turn is better). Necromancy is certainly one of the next 2 in line (Postmortem Lunge being the other), but I don't think I need that many cards like this. After all I also have some other recursion for the Druid as well (Stronghold, Fengraf, Reclaim, Regrowth, etc.).

I grant you it would add another black permanent to the deck, but I don't think that's enough reason to play it over the Dance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-30 3:18 am 

Thinking about it, Corpse Dance is just another Shallow Grave so it increases redundancy, and that's what you're after. I don't like how it RFG's, but a single use of the druid should be enough anyway.

The main reason I was thinking of Necromancy is that it can grab stuff from other people's graveyards. That's my "new thing" ;) The best part is that you could do it as a response to a sorcery speed reanimation spell. Not really something your deck wants to do I guess.

Now that I see Pox and Smallpox in your deck I'm thinking that I should try harder to fit Death cloud in the deck, and squeeze in some mana rocks, Pox and Smallpox as well. Or just Pox. That card is far from symmetrical.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-30 3:34 am 

Actually the Grave also RFGs and indeed 1 activation is all I need, happy to remove the card after that.

Yeah, normally, in other decks, grabbing things from other people's yards is a big upgrade, however given how I intend to win the only thing I might want to grab from somebody else's yard would probably be a Druid of their own. I don't think that's going to be very likely. It might be part of my defense, but am I really worried enough about losing to creature based attacks?

I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Pox cards. I see how they will help me more than hurt me, but I absolutely hate losing lands. They can certainly take out a nice amount of creatures for Glissa triggers and that by itself is probably enough to play them even if it sometimes means you take out a land of your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-07 3:07 am 

Just a heads up, M13 spoiler:

Mwonvuli Beast Tracker 1GG

Creature - Human Scout

When Mwonvuli Beast Tracker enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature card with deathtouch, hexproof, reach or trample and reveal it. Shuffle your library, then put that card on top of it.

2/1

I don't have to elaborate how this card is awesome. I'm not running , which is better in a lot of situations. But unlike that card, this new one can get
Glissa out of your deck when she is tucked

I'm considering Birthing Pod. It's an artifact and it fits in the sacrifice theme, so it seems like a natural fit. Somehow I have the feeling it'd just be a win-more card. I don't run much in the 4 and 5 CMC categories, and not much gamebreaking in 3 CMC either (though it's another tuck protector). How good would Birthing Pod be in my deck? I think I'd switch Culling Dais for it (which is actually better than most people think, especially since it's an instant sacrifice effect).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-07 7:42 am 

Quote:
I'm considering Birthing Pod. It's an artifact and it fits in the sacrifice theme, so it seems like a natural fit. Somehow I have the feeling it'd just be a win-more card. I don't run much in the 4 and 5 CMC categories, and not much gamebreaking in 3 CMC either (though it's another tuck protector). How good would Birthing Pod be in my deck? I think I'd switch Culling Dais for it (which is actually better than most people think, especially since it's an instant sacrifice effect).

It can't protect vs tuck. Pod can only be used at sorcery speed unfortunately.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief(Changes constantly)
Ink-Treader Nephilim(Group allowed)
Maelstrom Wanderer

Building Process:
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius(Draw, Earthquakes, Fireballs)

Dismantled:
Uril, the Miststalker
Captain Sisay
Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next