Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:35 am

Post subject: 3 Heavily Underrated Cards
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 3:19 pm 

There are a trio of cards in EDH that I believe are HEAVILY underrated. I've used (or faced) each of them, and truthfully, I've seen them wreck havoc more than the more popular cards. Here's the list:

Terra Eternal: Oh my god how useful this has been to one of my opponents. This stops your opponent from the Crucible of Mines combo, and allows you to do some funky combos yourself. The worst is with Catastrophe, at which point the game should be over in your favor, since your opponents will literally have no way to defend themselves the minute you get out something big.

Leonin Arbiter: Tutors, fetchlands, Entombers, Zur, and Prime Time are among the most powerful cards in this game. Leonin Arbiter weakens them the hell down. Prime Time starts to suck when he really costs 8 mana and you gotta pay 2 mana to use his ability when attacking. Yes, it hurts you, but there are ways around that, like adding in a bunch of draw engines where you would put tutors.

Torpor Orb: IMO, it is ridiculous that this never sees play. Prime Time (or any Titan, any type of clone, any type of hydra, E-Wit, Gilded Drake, Iona, Karmic Guide, anything in the game with Evoke cept Lark, the Green Fat Trinity (What I call Terastodon, Woodfall Primus, and Regal Force, also known as Terry, Woody, and Reggy), and Stoneforge are all EXTREMELY powerful in EDH, and they all fall to the Orb. Plus, it can fit in any deck, and is easily searchable by Tezzeret. Oh, and I forgot to say that almost every infinite combo in the game requires something entering the battlefield.

Last edited by Uktabi_Kong on 2012-Feb-26 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 3 Heavily Underrated Cards
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 3:56 pm 

Terra Eternal is universal: for example, using it with Catastrophe does nothing for you since your opponents are just as unaffected by the latter. However, I do like the card in a meta infested with land destruction. Plus, it's great with manlands.

Torpor Orb does indeed stop a lot of things - many of which you might want to play yourself. Also, for all I know, most decks prefer not maindecking cards like these that are only good at keeping others at bay instead of actually doing something for you. It's effective but less fun. The Orb is nice, though, since it can actually be positive for you but then again, I wouldn't count on it enough to run things like the Hunted cycle.

Ghave, Guru of Spores Combo
Oros, the Avenger Damage Tricks
Rafiq of the Many Exalted Equips
Ertai, the Corrupted Lock/Combo
Zedruu the Greathearted Grouphug
Adun Oakenshield Relentless Rats
Thraximundar Creatureless
Uril, the Miststalker No Artifacts
Omnath, Locus of Mana Big Green
Darien, King of Kjeldor Soldier Tokens

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 3:56 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
The worst is with Catastrophe, at which point the game should be over in your favor, since your opponents will literally have no way to defend themselves the minute you get out something big.

How is turning Catastrophe into an overcosted Wrath of God supposed to help you? Terra Eternal makes all lands indestructible, not just yours.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 5:56 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
The worst is with Catastrophe, at which point the game should be over in your favor, since your opponents will literally have no way to defend themselves the minute you get out something big.

How is turning Catastrophe into an overcosted Wrath of God supposed to help you? Terra Eternal makes all lands indestructible, not just yours.

Misread the card. My mistake.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 6:49 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Leonin Arbiter: Tutors, fetchlands, Entombers, Zur, and Prime Time are among the most powerful cards in this game. Leonin Arbiter weakens them the hell down. Prime Time starts to suck when he really costs 8 mana and you gotta pay 2 mana to use his ability when attacking. Yes, it hurts you, but there are ways around that, like adding in a bunch of draw engines where you would put tutors.

I much prefer Aven Mindcensor to Leonin Arbiter. I realize that the Arbiter can come out a turn sooner and completely stop a tutor or two, but there are so many things that make him less playable. Like the fact that he doesn't have flash, his ability is not as powerful after turn 5 or so, his ability also affects you, and Aven Mindcensor's ability is much harder to deal with and can prevent more game-ending tutors overall, especially when an opponent wants to search your deck.

I'm not saying you shouldn't run him if he works well in your meta, but overall I'd say he's more of an annoyance than a card worth running.

Current Decks
Rith, the Awakener (Formerly Asmira, Holy Avenger and Tolsimir Wolfblood)
Sharuum the Hegemon (WIP) (Formerly Teysa, Orzhov Scion)
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 7:35 pm 

The big problem with Leonin Arbiter is that you need to have him in your opening 7 and drop him on turn 2. Otherwise, he becomes significantly weak as people start to ramp and paying the two mana becomes nothing more than a speedbump. After around turn 4, Leonin Arbiter is a card I don't want to be drawing at all.

Leonin Arbiter bombed as a hoser in normal 60-card Magic, and he isn't really any better when your chance of getting him consistently when it counts is very low. Cards like Aven Mindcensor and Stranglehold work because they flat out deny ANY free searching of libraries no matter how late it is in the game.

I virtually never see Terra Eternal. It's a symmetrical effect which makes it hard to abuse. I guess you could play it in the 60-land Child of Alara deck or if you are especially squeamish to mass LD? Still though, I don't like making my opponents' lands indestructible, especially problem lands like Ruins/Stronghold/Cradle/Coffers/KWR.

Torpor Orb is a great card though. Let's be honest, we're really playing Enters the Battlefield: The Gathering. ETB creatures are so heavily abused in virtually every deck that Torpor Orb can really neuter a lot of value that people expect to cash in with their creatures.

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-26 8:26 pm 

Ah, I love Torpor Orb. I remember dismantling Caw-Blade with my Mono-Black control deck that main-decked them. Alas, it didn't do so well against the rest of the field...

I haven't seen Leonin Arbiter played really, and it wouldn't impact me much. I'd much rather abuse draw tech than tutor any day.

Terra Eternal seems iffy. I like Sacred Ground a lot more.

Here are my choices:

Absolute Grace / Absolute Law
These guys are cheap and their effect can be pretty devastating to a lot of decks. The list of powerful cards these hurt is extensive to say the least.

Proteus Staff
A great rattlesnake card that can inhibit a ton of general (or single-creature) based strategies, get extra value out of your ETB creatures, or combo with theft effects. Dominus of Fealty is a nice example.

Telepathy
This little bastard has had a greater impact on my mono-blue deck's win % than any other card. More information is always better, and the fact that your hand full of counters remains hidden while you can pick and choose the important spells to use them on is amazing. And that's just one example. Being able to map out your opponent's turns/answers helps your plans immensely.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 12:56 am 

I am a fan of Torpor Orb due to it's level of hosery it can cause in my wife's morph deck. Sometimes, the reliance on ETB effects gets too high and people need to be taught a bit of a lesson when they repeatedly abuse something.

My personal top 3 heavily underrated cards?

Claws of Gix This card is amazing. It prevents control decks from gaining any upper hand from you, it keeps your stuff from being exiled, and gives you at least something if your stuff is going to be destroyed and an effect would be gained off of it.

Tombstone Stairwell The amount of things you can do with this card is unreal. Even if you aren't gaining a creature advantage, any time you are intending to use this it is almost always worth it.

Miraculous Recovery This card flew under everyones radar in my groups until I started playing it. That's right: instant speed creature recursion, with a buff. This card has single-handedly saved numerous targets from exile, someone else gaining control of my stuff, or getting a timely blocker in place (my favourite target being Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter. It has gotten to the point that in my BW people have started working around the possiblity of me having it in hand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 5:02 am 

I'd like to promote Sacred Ground over Terra Eternal. As long as you aren't trying to blow up the lands yourself, any LD by your opponents will allow you to get your land right back into play (also works if you sacrifice the lands to eldrazi annihilator effects!). It sucks with bounce lands, but otherwise very nice to keep your important lands on the board.

If the red player wants to Jokulhaups, they basically hand you the game as all your mana will come right back into play (this has happened to me before) :)

I stick Sacred Ground in every white deck I have, even if I don't plan on using any specialty lands... actually, I can't remember if I have one in my Rith deck or not... but for the most part, a staple for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 10:25 am 

Three cards I tend to have the best luck with are the following:

Havoc demon. This card has a seriously high survivability rate. Its both a 5/5 flyer good in its own right but almost doubles as a sweeper, if killed off. As a rule my opponents would rather not block it, and take the dmg than risk killing it or spot removal. And a vast majority of my playgroup dont run spot exile cards.

Frozen aether: putting my opponents at least 1 land/permanant behind does me a great deal in terms of advantage. Having a fatty tapped same turn it arrives is always a plus.

Veilstone amulet: proves great to stop creatures getting wrathed or spot removaled the turn they come out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 10:44 am 

Ukkmaster wrote:

Claws of Gix This card is amazing. It prevents control decks from gaining any upper hand from you, it keeps your stuff from being exiled, and gives you at least something if your stuff is going to be destroyed and an effect would be gained off of it.

Claws of Gix, all day long.

"Path your guy?"
"I'll gain a life."

"Wrath the Board"
"I'll gain some life."

"Copy your permanent?"
"I'll gain a life."

"Blow up the claws?"
"I gained a life, and made you waste a removal."

ONE TIME, though, I had no mana left because I had to Cryptic Command, and Twincast a Last Word to stop some shenanagins; and then got hit with a Mindslaver....with Claws of Gix in play...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 11:03 am 

thedarkheart wrote:
Veilstone amulet: proves great to stop creatures getting wrathed or spot removaled the turn they come out.

I never realized that the amulet would give hexproof to a creature you just cast... interesting :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 1:56 pm 

thedarkheart wrote:

Well, it does nothing to stop Wrath of God.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 2:27 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
thedarkheart wrote:

Well, it does nothing to stop Wrath of God.

admittingly yeah it doesnt stop global board sweeps but it does stop spot removal and the like

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-27 5:25 pm 

Joz wrote:
ONE TIME, though, I had no mana left because I had to Cryptic Command, and Twincast a Last Word to stop some shenanagins; and then got hit with a Mindslaver....with Claws of Gix in play...

That is the only reason I don't use it.

thedarkheart wrote:
Three cards I tend to have the best luck with are the following:

Havoc demon. This card has a seriously high survivability rate. Its both a 5/5 flyer good in its own right but almost doubles as a sweeper, if killed off. As a rule my opponents would rather not block it, and take the dmg than risk killing it or spot removal. And a vast majority of my playgroup dont run spot exile cards.

Frozen aether: putting my opponents at least 1 land/permanant behind does me a great deal in terms of advantage. Having a fatty tapped same turn it arrives is always a plus.

Haha, the first dude kinda reminds me of Koko (though in effect, he's more of a Ryusei). Frozen Aether is AMAZING with Stasis. The amulet however, I would replace in any green deck with Asceticism.

Offline Profile