Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Sep-22 3:43 pm

Post subject: Priceless Treasures
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-10 10:15 pm 

I designed this variant for the Magic Community Labs, and have been testing it with a few friends. However, we haven't really gotten a chance to test it with EDH, and I'd love it if anyone wants to try it out and give me some feedback.

Summary

Priceless Treasures is a multiplayer Magic variant in which players have access to a selection of powerful artifacts. All you need is a Treasure deck and a normal six-sided die (d6). It can be played with normal Magic decks or combined with other variants like EDH, Planechase, and Archenemy.

The Treasure Deck

A Treasure deck must be at least 20 cards and can only include one copy of any given card. All cards must be colorless artifacts with converted mana costs from 2 to 6. Suggested guidelines for building a Treasure deck are included at the end of this post.

At the beginning of the game the treasure deck is shuffled and placed in the command zone. After all players have finished resolving their mulligans, the top three cards are placed face up in the command zone. During a players turn, if they control three or less treasures, they may cast or steal (see below) any of the three face up treasures from the command zone.

Casting a treasure from the command zone is just like playing it from your hand. You announce that you are doing so, pay all costs, and then move it onto the stack as a spell. It can be countered or otherwise responded to normally. If it resolves, it enters the battlefield under your control. Otherwise, it is placed on the bottom of the treasure deck.

During the cleanup step, if there are less than three treasures face up in the command zone, treasure cards are dealt from the top of the treasure deck until there are three revealed.

Stealing a Treasure

Once per turn and any time they could play a sorcery, the active player may attempt to steal a treasure. This is a completely different action from attempting to cast a treasure normally.

They must choose one treasure face-up in the command zone or controlled by an opponent, and then pass priority to give each player a chance to respond. When the steal attempt resolves, the player rolls a d6. If they roll equal to or higher than the converted mana cost of the targeted artifact, they successfully steal it. Once the die has been rolled, it is too late for players to respond to the steal attempt.

A treasure stolen from the command zone is simply put onto the battlefield under the control of the player who stole it. It is not cast and cannot be countered. A treasure stolen from another player is put into the command zone and then immediately onto the battlefield under the control of the player who stole it. This means it will trigger any “leaves the battlefield” or “enters the battlefield” abilities and will not remain enchanted or attached.

If a player controls three or more treasures, they must sacrifice a treasure to make a steal attempt. This is an additional cost payed when the attempt is declared.

Players can gain control of treasures using effects like Steal Artifact and Aladdin normally. These are not related to being formally “stolen.” Actually stealing a treasure causes it to change zones and be treated as a new object, thus removing any previous control effects.

Treasure Properties

“Treasureness” is not a characteristic and cannot be copied or overwritten. The “owner” of a treasure is the person under whose control it last entered the battlefield.

Treasures can only be cast or stolen during a player's turn when they could cast a sorcery, even if they have abilities that would allow them to cast them at instant speed. Players cannot cast or steal treasures if they already control three or more treasures.

If a treasure is put into any zone other than the battlefield, it is put on the bottom of the treasure deck the next time a player would receive priority. This is a state-based action and cannot be responded to.

Building a Treasure Deck

Building a good treasure deck has very few solid rules, and quite a few suggested guidelines.

Rules:
- The deck must be at least 20 cards
- The deck cannot include more than two copies of any card
- All cards must be colorless artifacts with converted mana costs between 2 and 6 inclussive.

Suggestions:
- Use a mix of artifact creatures, equipment, and other types
- Use a mana curve with the most cards at 4, plenty at 3 and 5, and a few at 2 and 6.
- Avoid cheap mana producers like signets
- Avoid cards that are only useful with certain colors of mana
- Avoid symmetrical cards like Howling Mine where it doesn't matter who controls them
- If you want some specific cards to try out, check the list of Suggested Treasures.

Last edited by obsidiandice on 2010-Jun-11 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Priceless Treasures
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-11 9:20 am 

I love random formats like this. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try!

Current Vaevictus Asmadi graveyard shenannigans, Godo equipment, Azusa stompy.
Retired Rith, Sygg, Kraj, Sasaya, Uril, Sekkuar, Kresh, Kaervek, Lin-Sivvi, Ob Nixilis, Chisei, Sisay, Teeg, Kiki-Jiki, Karn, Selenia, Gwendlyn di Corci, Daakon Blackblade, Nath, Tibor and Lumia

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-11 1:00 pm 

Agreed. But I have one question:
Maybe I've missed it in your explanation, but what means "cast a treasure"? Is it just choosing a face-up treasure in the Command zone in contrast to stealing it from an opponent?

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-11 1:44 pm 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Agreed. But I have one question:
Maybe I've missed it in your explanation, but what means "cast a treasure"? Is it just choosing a face-up treasure in the Command zone in contrast to stealing it from an opponent?

Ah, I will clarify this:
During your turn, treasures can be cast from the command zone as though they were in your hand. This is playing a spell normally and it can be countered, responded to, etc. It is completely independant from stealing treasures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-12 5:12 am 

Okay, now I understand. :wink:

Just a thought... What if, instead of only rolling a d6, we take a d20 and let the stealing player beat a roll of the player he/she steals from?
High roll wins, like in D&D.

Maybe the stealing player must even beat that roll by the treasure's converted mana cost...

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 7:41 am 

seems pretty awesome...probably need to skim over some artifacts to see if they will be broken in the treasure deck. Memory Jar comes to mind, possibly grim monolith...would have to so a search of gatherer. otherwise it seems like a sound format.

MODERATOR of WOOBERG.net the number one source for MTG variant formats

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 1:06 pm 

tried this format out. Tips and a little rundown on my website
http://wooberg.weebly.com/1/post/2010/12/well-phillip-while-were-waiting-why-dont-we-search-for-treasure.html

MODERATOR of WOOBERG.net the number one source for MTG variant formats

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-26 9:58 pm 

<removed>

Last edited by jojones on 2010-Dec-27 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-27 2:01 am 

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=6168483&posted=1#post6168483

Been testing the deck for a while. added kaldra to huge success, here is what I turned it into after a bit of play testing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-18 7:34 pm 

Love it. Kaldra's a fun idea, might implement it, and that trap idea on the mtgs thread, but just testing this original version has been grand. I've currently got a little over 70 artifacts in the pile though... only looking to add more.

An emperor EDH variant I played using range of influence 1 for theft with only emperors as treasure holders was pretty cool, especially with wing generals able to pilfer their own emperor's cache for utilities. It was pretty solid fun.

Offline Profile