Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 10:49 am

Post subject: EDH at PT Yokohama
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-25 6:54 am 

I got to play some EDH on Saturday night at Yokohama. Brief game reports.

Game 1: Scott Larabee (Lord of Tresserhorn), Federico Dato (Tsabo Tavoc), Sheldon Menery (Phelddagrif), Dale Aitken (Scott's Niv-Mizzet deck), Duncan McGregor (Intet, the Dreamer)

There was no clear choice for an early winner in this one - I was looking threatening a couple times, and had Genesis going for a while, but everyone was getting down in life by the time I was finally knocked out of the game. Unfortunately I left my game notes behind so that they could keep using them to track life totals. I'm told that once I left Federico had a chance to knock Sheldon out of the game but didn't, and Sheldon then ended up winning. Lesson from this game: mercy is for the weak.

Fun plays:
- I finally got to play Guided Passage in a multiplayer game. It worked about how I expected - at my request, Sheldon gave me a Phyrexian Furnace to help keep Scott Larabee in check, as well as a basic land and a Wall of Blossoms. I was not unhappy.
- Sheldon tried to Armageddon floating enough mana for a Multani. Unfortunately for him the Geddon was countered.
- Scott's Mindleech Mass bounced around the table a few times, actually connecting with Federico and later on, after a reanimation, with Scott. I also Treacheried it at one point, but it died (unsurprisingly) before I could hit anyone with it.
- Federico got an Oblivion Stone out at one point, and found that it meant that anyone who wanted him to pop it just kept attacking him until he did so. Reset buttons are good, but they can also focus attention on you.

Game 2: Rafael di Svaldi (Teysa, Orzhov Scion), Raul Rabionet (Scion of the Ur-Dragon), Henrique Amigo (Sol'Kanar, the Swamp King), Duncan McGregor (Karn, Silver Golem)

This game was all me. I busted out the Karn deck that I'd built in order to see exactly how the mana worked with no basics, and was off to the races with a first turn of Mishra's Workshop, Sol Ring, Living Wall, and a second-turn Serum Tank to make sure that I didn't run out of gas. Predator, Flagship soon made an appearance and people were looking worriedly my way, although Raul did manage to connect for 14 to my face with his general pretending to be a Dragon Tyrant. However, I drew into Darksteel Forge, and with that in play my defences soon became nearly impenetrable. Magistrate's Scepter and Voltaic Key plus a large supply of mana meant that I was taking two turns to everyone else's one, and I started smacking people around. Lesson from this game: you need to be able to deal with indestructible stuff.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-30 5:08 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Yes, Federico Calo learned a valuable lesson in that game. He admitted as much to me after. He has promised to NEVER EVER let Sheldon live if he can be eliminated. :)

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EDH at PT Yokohama
AgePosted: 2007-May-01 5:29 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

RobRoy wrote:
Lesson from this game: you need to be able to deal with indestructible stuff.

Rebuild ftw.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EDH at PT Yokohama
AgePosted: 2007-May-18 10:49 pm 

RobRoy wrote:
I got to play some EDH on Saturday night at Yokohama. Brief game reports.

Game 1: Scott Larabee (Lord of Tresserhorn), Federico Dato (Tsabo Tavoc), Sheldon Menery (Phelddagrif), Dale Aitken (Scott's Niv-Mizzet deck), Duncan McGregor (Intet, the Dreamer)

- Federico got an Oblivion Stone out at one point, and found that it meant that anyone who wanted him to pop it just kept attacking him until he did so. Reset buttons are good, but they can also focus attention on you.

The other thing people miss about such reset buttons seems to be how they expect to recover faster than the rest of the table. My philisophy has always been to let people have their stuff and just minimise what it can do to you - that way you won't need to kill the other player 'cos they'll do it for you...

Offline Profile