Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-17 10:49 am

Post subject: Deck suggestions?
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 10:01 am 

I'm new to this format, and this is the first deck I've attempted to make...

General: Lim-Dul the Necromancer
Zombies- 26
Boneknitter
Withered Wretch
Cabal Interrogator
Shepherd of Rot
Sangrophage
Lord of the Undead (Errata'd to Zombie Lord)
Embalmed Brawler
Ghastly Remains
Gangrenous Zombies
Gravedigger
Ashen Ghoul (Errata'd to Zombie)
Vengeful Dead
Phyrexian Scuta
Undead Warchief
Graveborn Muse
Grave Defiler
Soulless One
Grotesque Hybrid
Corpse Harvester
Phyrexian Delver
Noxious Ghoul
Woebearer
Twisted Abomination
Gravespawn Sovereign
Necrosavant (Errata'd to Zombie Giant)
Gempalm Polluter
Non-Zombies- 4
Zombie Master
Infernal Caretaker
Mortivore
Magus of the Coffers
Mass Removal- 5
Innocent Blood
Infest
No Mercy
Grave Pact
Call to the Grave
Target Removal- 6
Chainer's Edict
Rend Flesh
Seal of Doom
Sudden Death
Tendrils of Corruption
Consume Spirit
Card Draw/Tutoring- 4
Demonic Tutor
Skulltap
Ambition's Cost
Diabolic Tutor
Recursion/Reanimation- 8
Tortured Existence
Oath of Ghouls
Necromancy
Haunted Crossroads
Zombify
Dread Return
Necromantic Thirst
Strands of Night
Accelerators- 3
Dark Ritual
Cabal Ritual
Bubbling Muck
Utility Spells- 3
Bad Moon
Zombie Infestation
Dirge of Dread
Artifacts- 6
Mana Vault
Phyrexian Totem
Oblivion Stone
Nevinyrral's Disk
Lich's Tomb
Altar of Shadows
Landses- 34
Bottomless Vault
Unholy Grotto
Cabal Coffers
Lake of the Dead
Swamp x 30

Lim-Dul isn't necessarily a very threatening general, but he's been my favorite Magic character since I was a kid, so I couldn't help but choose him. The deck is fun, but it needs work. Mono black is incredibly limiting, especially vs. enchantments/artifacts. Should I focus more on discard? Also, am I running enough land/mana sources? My friends and I are marvelling at how different the deckbuilding approach is for EDH, and their decks are equally as clumsy, so for now I stand a chance...suggestions will be greatly appreciated, O wise ones.
Additionally, cards I want to acquire and find room for:
Undead Gladiator
Volrath's Stronghold (easy)
Sutured Ghoul, perhaps?
Thanks!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 10:45 am 

Black has a lot of better mass removal options.

Damnation, Barter in Blood, Mutilate, Infest, etc.

Also, Oversold Cemetary should be in any black-packing, creature-based multiplayer deck, especially EDH.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Deck suggestions?
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 12:12 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Hoof wrote:
I'm new to this format, and this is the first deck I've attempted to make...

Looks like a great deck... and "My favourite creature ever" is the best possible reason to choose him as a general... I applaud you for that. Turns out though, he's also a giant beating in EDH, especially with general recursion. Remember that if someone destroys all creatures, including Lim-Dul, he will still trigger and you get to pay 1B to have the best creature (or even creatures!) that were on the board still on the board after everyone else's are wrathed away. Given how often that happens, and the average size of creatures in play in EDH.. that seems very, very good ;)

Individual card comments:

Embalmed Brawler -- this guy just isn't that great; you can definately find better, even if they're not zombies :)
Gangrenous Zombies -- neat. He's a nice early drop with a useful boardwiping ability.
Undead Warchief -- This guy sucks in your deck ;)
Necrosavant (Errata'd to Zombie Giant) -- Isn't that awesome?
Gempalm Polluter -- Not great... his ability isn't that useful with the amount of life flying around.

Some of my favourite zombies and zombie-related cards (which are underused and cheap to trade for/buy)

Cadaverous Knight
Balthor the Defiled
Cruel Revival
Helldozer (There are a lot of singleton lands which are really good to get rid of.. if he only said "Destroy target Maze of Ith" he'd probably be playable; see also Volrath's Stronghold)
Rotlung Reanimator
Smokespew Invoker
Tombstone Stairwell

Jeyal's comments about mass removal are solid, although I understand the desire to keep some of your guys alive sometimes (Barter is one of my favorites for this reason). Hideous Laughter can be decent if you're looking for a budget option... if you can get them Decree of Pain is awesome and Pestilence goes Very well with Lim-Dul's regeneration.

For card drawing, Skulltap is the one I don't really understand... I'd go with Night's Whisper over that unless you really want sacrifice outlets (I don't see the need.. it's good in Savra decks for example ;) ). Phrexian Arena, Promise of power, or Syphon Mind are all good (and fairly cheap, except the Arena). If you're looking for some non-lifeloss card draw, Mind's Eye is the classic EDH engine, but Moonring Mirror and Liar's Pendulum are two that I've used to good effect for very cheap.

A note on tutors: You've got DT; VT is good but expensive. Demonic Collusion is an excellent new and cheap card for EDH, and Buried Alive/Transmute cards can be very good. I enjoyed Night Dealings, but it wasn't very good :)

Recursion/Reanimation

Some good stuff here, but I'd replace tortured existance and strands of night (although it does serve as nice psuedo-removal in a pinch, it just dies a bit too easily). Urborg uprising is an awesome spell, as are Cruel Revival (again), Shallow Grave, Disturbed Burial, Grim Harvest and of course Corpse Dance (if you have sacrifice outlets).

Mana
Straight up rituals are almost never worth it... much better to have things like Coffers, Lake of the Dead, or Muck (all of which you've got).

Extraplanar lens is also retardedly good in monocolour decks. Other than that, the artifacts look good.

Perhaps the one place you could really improve is to take better advantage of your mono-black status by using uncoloured lands. I'm gonna split this out into a thread on land bases in mono colour decks.

Quote:
Mono black is incredibly limiting, especially vs. enchantments/artifacts.

True, but you get good tutors and a few helpers like O-stone and disk (that you have access to those really helps).

On the whole, the deck looks really strong, and Mono Black can be a hell of a lot of fun to play.

G

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 7:26 pm 

Thanks Genomancer for the AWESOME in-depth reply- you totally answered all of the questions I had and then some! Great advice! The separate article on monocolored land bases will be helpful as well. On that note- is it worthwhile to utilize Barren Moor/Polluted Mire? I don't think I'll need any man-lands in here, but Spawning Pool could be useful in a pinch. I've also got a Miren, the Moaning Well I had overlooked that should be in here as well. Do I have enough lands overall?
I actually have a few of the cards recommended, but had overlooked their usefulness. I ditched the Infest for a Decree of Pain and the Skulltap for a Phyrexian Arena (duh). :roll: I've got an Extraplanar Lens I can throw in instead of the Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual. It's tough not making those an auto-choice for a black deck. :)
Helldozer is ruthless, and should be included. I had never seen one before. Balthor the Defiled would be useful, and Tombstone Stairwell would be a lot of fun, especially next to Grave Pact. Rotlung Reanimator is a cool creature, but it seems like his usefulness lies with more clerics...I guess he is a Penumbra-type creature at worst, which is still good.
I really like Strands of Night, so for now I'll hang on to it, but Tortured Existence may better serve as a Corpse Dance. Oversold Cemetery>Oath of Ghouls, but I don't have one right now. Plus "Oath of Ghouls" sounds way scarier. :)
I'm going to play around with these changes and see how it fares. Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-17 9:10 pm 

Mono black. Looks like a blast.

For this deck, I'd add a Nightmare Lash. If someone is creature-less, that could provide a good 20 points of damage.

Also, I'd add a Drain Life, and maybe a Consume Spirit. It seems like you could deal massive damage late game with say, 16 swamps, a coffers and a lens (46 damage to the dome, gain 46?)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: re: Deck Suggestions?
AgePosted: 2007-Jul-09 4:16 pm 

Heh. I'm also in the midst of building my first deck, and I thought I was doing something nice and unique.....and it has turned out to be quite similar to yours :lol: . Admittedly, I'm using a different general (Balthor) combined with the Noxious Ghoul + lots of Zombies plan for a repeatable Plague Wind-type effect on the game (and to recapture the long-lost days of Zombe Bidding), but your build and mine are fairly similar.

Here's my build so far (keep in mind, this is still in construction and has not been tested yet):

Zombie Bidding Redux (General: Balthor the Defiled)

Zombies (39):
Ashen Ghoul
Bone Dancer
Carrion Feeder
Corpse Harvester
Crypt Creeper
Cyclopean Giant
Famished Ghoul
Gempalm Polluter
Grave Defiler
Graveborn Muse
Gravedigger
Gravespawn Sovereign
Gristle Grinner
Grotesque Hybrid
Gutless Ghoul
Helldozer
Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
Lord of the Undead
Nantuko Husk
Necrosavant (now a Zombie Giant!!)
Noxious Ghoul
Phyrexian Delver
Phyrexian Ghoul
Phyrexian Scuta
Plaguebearer
Rank and File
Rotlung Reanimator
Shepard of Rot
Skirk Ridge Exhumer
Smokespew Invoker
Soulless One
Stromgald Crusader
Twisted Abomination
Undead Gladiator
Undead Warchief
Vengeful Dead
Withered Wretch
Yixlid Jailer
Zombie Trailblazer

Non-Zombies (Creatures) (5):
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Mindslicer
Solemn Simulacrum

Non-Zombies (Spells) (16):
Buried Alive
Call to the Grave
Oversold Cemetery
Damnation
Decree of Pain
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Recurring Nightmare
Skullclamp
Nevinyrral's Disk
Sensei's Divining Top
Bitter Ordeal
Living Death
Oblivion Stone
Death Cloud
Umezawa’s Jitte

Land/Mana (39):
Unholy Grotto
Volrath's Stronghold
Cabal Coffers
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Phyrexian Tower
Miren the Moaning Well
Wasteland
Ghost Quarter
Sol Ring
30 Swamp

So.....there it is. Any feedback would be appreciated.

**EDIT** I should note that a lot of the previous suggestions -- Lake of the Dead, Demonic Collusion, Extraplanar Lens, etc. -- are very good ideas that I did not think of initially, and will be taking into consideration. I've had a heck of a time cutting this down to 100 cards, so I guess I should try and test the skeleton first and see what needs to stay and what needs to go. Still, I would appreciate any further thoughts you have.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Aug-21 3:46 pm 

Your deck looks great, and it reminds me that I need to update mine with some stuff from Time Spiral and company. It's cool that you had a similar idea- Balthor may be a superior general, too, as I find I hardly get Lim-Dul out as often as I would like. I'm considering switching to Korlash.
I find my version much fun, but very sporadic; even with the acceleration I use it can still be rather slow. EDH is fortunately (in my opinion) more about flavor than anything else, so I don't mind. My friend's Arcanis deck keeps ruining my life (undeath?), though!
Let me know how yours pans out!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Sep-26 7:05 pm 

This could use some fixings- especially in lieu of recent creature type updates...

Offline Profile