Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Jul-22 10:55 am

Post subject: Best deck to buy for release party?
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 1:13 pm 

Now that the decklists are out, which are you most excited about?

Devour for power has the highest value reprints, but I'm not a fan of any of the commanders in it, so I'm thinking of mirror mastery or political puppets. They've both got awesome legends (ignore ruhan...), and a few probably valuable cards like homeward path, flusterstorm, chaos warp, and of course sol rings, command towers, and spell crumples.

I'm also curious which cards people think will be worth big-boy money. I kind of doubt many of the commanders will be worth serious cash, since most people who want to play them will buy the deck, although Edric and possibly nin seem potentially legacy playable (although I'm not expert). I think command towers will be worth some moolah, simply because every non-mono-colored deck wants them. Flusterstorm could also be popular in legacy SBs. chaos warp will probably go in most any red EDH decks, and spell crumple goes in almost any blue decks, although it's presence in 3 decks means it'll be a lot easier to get. A lot of people seem to think homeward path will be an auto-include in a lot of decks, too, so that might see money.

My predictions:
command tower: $8
sol ring: $8
flusterstorm: $10
chaos warp: $4
edric, spymaster of trest: $10
nin, the pain artist: $5
spell crumple: $2
homeward path: $5

completely guessing, of course.

Last edited by Himetic on 2011-Jun-10 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Best deck to buy for release party?
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 1:17 pm 

Himetic wrote:
The decklists are...around. I don't want to post a link for fear of getting in trouble, but they're around.
Uh, they're around on THIS FORUM...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 9:44 pm 

Devour for Power definitely has my first pick. I really like the generals, and the reprint factor is pretty hot. I could use a ton of the reprints here, in fact.

My second choice is Political Puppets. I was originally leaning more toward Heavenly Inferno, but the donate general is very interesting, as is Nin, and Champion's Helm. I also like the reprints there.

Heavenly Inferno gets a big disappointed frowny from me. The commanders are uninteresting; Kaalia makes exactly one kind of deck, and the reanimator general that takes a random creature from your opponent's graveyard is about as awful as they come. I had high hopes for Oros colours (considering how Oros compares to the other wedge generals, especially the other planar chaos dragons). The tutor/time walk denial is very nice, and about the only thing remaining in there that I'm interested in.

Check out my column, Generally Speaking, at CommanderCast.com
http://www.commandercast.com/category/a ... y-speaking

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 11:52 pm 

Himetic wrote:

I'm also curious which cards people think will be worth big-boy money. I kind of doubt many of the commanders will be worth serious cash, since most people who want to play them will buy the deck, although Edric and possibly nin seem potentially legacy playable (although I'm not expert).

As far as I know they cant be played in any official format except commander since they havnt been printed in any core or set/block. So their costs shouldnt sky rocket.

-Sliver Queen - Mana fix and Death by Swarm.
-Jhoira of the Ghitu-Fatties without Obliterate!
-Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief- Vampire Tribal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 12:52 am 

Dragon2439 wrote:

As far as I know they cant be played in any official format except commander since they havnt been printed in any core or set/block. So their costs shouldnt sky rocket.

They can be played in eternal formats.

proof with link:
The 51 new cards will be legal in Eternal formats (that's Vintage and Legacy), but they will not be legal in Standard, Extended, or Block Constructed.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/594

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 1:22 am 

I am really gunning for Mirror Mastery, but then I was gunning for it since before I knew its decklist. I look at the decklist and think, "I have no idea what to do with this deck!", and thats part of what gets me excited. I'm getting a general i love (Riku) that does something I love (copy) in a deck I have no idea how to play (RUG). It'll be exciting!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 1:44 am 

LilyHaze wrote:
I am really gunning for Mirror Mastery, but then I was gunning for it since before I knew its decklist. I look at the decklist and think, "I have no idea what to do with this deck!", and thats part of what gets me excited. I'm getting a general i love (Riku) that does something I love (copy) in a deck I have no idea how to play (RUG). It'll be exciting!

You make me wish I could high-five people over the internet.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-15 10:43 am 

I'm looking forward to all of them...

Heavenly inferno is high on my list (likely the one I'll play on release day). I love both the new generals and it includes some cards I need first copies or extras of (bladewing the risen and vindicate angel to start). Also the new angel looks awesome and while I don't like bassandra as a general I think I'd use her in my other RW edh decks.

Mirror mastery is probably the lowest on my list, but still awesome. Anima itself looks to be so much fun to build around. Edric is also a must have card. It also holds magmatic force and homeword path, both are cards I'm going to make use of. Most of the rest of the individual cards don't excite me as I already have more copies than I'm using. Still looks like a decent deck.

Counterpunch Looks to be really powerful. While Karador is fine the real general I'm looking forward to is Ghave. Tokens and counters are always fun to abuse and he seems to abuse them in spades. Again I'm not overly excited by the reprints, but the deck looks fun to play as a whole.

Devower for Power is a wow deck The Mimeoplasm just looks incredibly fun to play with. This deck is just loaded. The problem I'm having with this post is finding which cards out of it I want. Solemn, gravepact, E-witness, grave robber. This is the best of them imo.

Political puppets looks incredibly fun to play. While I'm not in love with Ruhan, I don't think he is as terrible as people are making him out to be. Zedruu on the other hand just screams build around me and the deck looks well build around him. Nin isn't my cup of tea, but I can see her uses. Champion's helm will find it's way into my Voltron deck. And who couldn't use more austeer command or insurrection? Oblation, Chaos Warp, and Trade secrets will all see some play as well.

I've already got a preorder set on its way and will likely buy all 5 decks again at some point in the next few weeks. Friday I will play at fantasium and likely get any deck that other's are not picking up. Hopefully a friend or 2 will come with me and give me an excuse to pick up 1 or 2 others. Then I may play at Shane's on Sunday and pick up another. I know I will have at least Heavenly Inferno and Counterpunch before the weekend is over. (buying multiple sets to leave one together and take the second set apart to use pieces)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-15 12:28 pm 

I want Heavenly Inferno the most, it's got a lot of angels I've been having trouble finding locally and can use most of the cards in my "big stack o' maybes"

I'm worried Stranglehold may make me a target, but I'm all about hosin' Tefari, Arcum, Zur, and pretty much any other blue deck.

Also, I loves me some Image.

Offline Profile