Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 10:29 am

Post subject: Savra deck--Suggestions/Criticisms?
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-16 11:46 am 

Well, my wife and I (and one of our friends) have been doing EDH for almost a year, but I have finally convinced our play group to get involved as well. This is the deck I have chosen for our league, and I would like to see comments, suggestions, etc. First, the list.

General--Savra, Queen Of The Golgari

CREATURES (36):
Bone Shredder (gotta kill 'em all...well, except the black and artifact ones)
Braids, Cabal Minion
Coffin Queen (so good)
Commander Greven il-Vec (7/5 fear isn't bad)
Crovax The Cursed (an heretofore undiscovered gem by me...what a beating this guy is)
Fallen Angel (winner winner chicken dinner!)
Hell's Caretaker
Nantuko Husk
Phyrexian Ghoul
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Stinkweed Imp
Thrull Surgeon
Withered Wretch (die, Genesis!)
Birds Of Paradise
Deranged Hermit
Elves Of Deep Shadow
Eternal Witness (obv)
Fyndhorn Elves
Genesis
Golgari Grave-Troll
Llanowar Elves
Ravenous Baloth
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Spike Feeder
Spike Weaver
Thelonite Hermit
Verdant Force (yeah...an endless supply of tokens to sacrifice is good)
Vine Trellis
Wall Of Blossoms
Wall Of Roots
Werebear
Wild Mongrel
Yavimaya Elder (an old favorite returns)
Grave-Shell Scarab

SPELLS (13):
Damnation
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Edict
Diabolic Intent (this card is like cheating in this deck)
Diabolic Tutor
Innocent Blood
Vampiric Tutor
Harmonize
Krosan Grip
Life From The Loam
Naturalize
Regrowth
Putrefy

ENCHANTMENTS (9):
Oath Of Ghouls
Oversold Cemetery
Phyrexian Arena
Recurring Nightmare
Defense Of The Heart
Greater Good
Survival Of The Fittest (yeah, I know)
Sylvan Library
Pernicious Deed (hey, stuff can get out of hand)

ARTIFACTS (5):
Loxodon Warhammer
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sword Of Fire & Ice
Sword Of Light & Shadow

LAND (36):
Bayou
Bloodstained Mire
Dust Bowl (must...destroy...Volrath's...Stronghold)
Llanowar Wastes
Miren, The Moaning Well
Okina, Temple To The Grandfathers
Overgrown Tomb
Pendelhaven
Polluted Delta
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Svogthos, The Restless Tomb
Thawing Glaciers
Treetop Village
Volrath's Stronghold
Wasteland (see Dust Bowl)
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothills
10x Forest
9x Swamp
(hey, I like basics)

Ok, so a few cards that maybe should be in here but aren't:

Symbiotic Wurm--I apparently don't own one anymore, so that's a no go. Otherwise I'd squeeze one in.
Protean Hulk--Just doesn't do it for me, I guess. I still may try it, but it seems really underwhelming, even though in this deck it effectively states "GG3: search your library for 3 creature cards and put them into play". We'll see.
Penumbra Wurm--Again, I don't own one anymore. Even then, I think the other creatures are better.
Skeletal Vampire--I may replace Greven with this guy, as he can be pretty spiffy even on his own.
Living Death--A good finisher, but there are a couple of issues. The big positive is the dredge engine works well with it, but I may cut that anyway, so...
Grave Pact--Another good possibility, but again I don't own one. Probably an auto-include, as each balck creature I sacrifice will make my opponent(s) sacrifice 2 creatures.

There might be others that I am overlooking, but those are what came to mind.

I know some of the stuff looks "unfun", but they serve a purpose.

Braids is a sacrifice outlet, nothing more...I don't care much what my opponent sacrifices on their upkeep, I just want to gain life/make them sacrifice creatures on my turn.

Survival allows me to find the creatures I need to get going. I don't have a lot of chances to "abuse" it, as I am too busy abusing Savra, etc.

Recurring Nightmare is ridiculous in this deck. Obviously, it's pseudo-broken, but in this deck it just rips the game wide open, and combos well with most things in the deck.

Withered Wretch is in here because I MUST fight opposing Genesis, Strongholds, etc. Too many people in our group play stuff with the graveyard for me to abandon him.

Skullclamp does what Skullclamp does. The deck can abuse it, but I don't have many ways of playing a bunch of the stuff I draw. It's more of a card quality thing rather than card advantage...and it dumps stuff in the graveyard.

Loxodon Warhammer/Swords are there to actually deal combat damage and to protect my creatures from various removal. Just what they do in Constructed formats, but not as ridiculous, typically.

Anything else I am missing? Thoughts? Please let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 12:38 am 
EDH Rules Committee

My brother has a fearsome Savra deck, and I have procured it discreetly. Here's a short list of cards that I'm particularly afraid of, when he plays them (note that he has a strong reanimation suite, which is very effective with Savra-friendly cards):

Attrition
Buried Alive
Dread Return (!!!)
Greater Good
Grim Harvest
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Spawning Pit
Urborg Justice
Victimize (I didn't list most of his other reanimation spells, but this one is too good to ignore)

Most of these cards are scary just because they are free sacrifice outlets. With the amount of mana acceleration he runs, he can play Savra again whenever she dies, so the only way to really kill her is Condemn or Confiscate effects, which the outlets nullify even when he's tapped out (and believe me, she must die).

Another surprising omission that I noticed were the common Golgari mana fixers. You have Overgrown Tomb, why don't you have the Signet and the Rot Farm?

He's also running the four big finishers that you mentioned. Symbiotic Wurm is especially good (16 life buffer, if nothing else), as well as the Vampire. You say that you have doubts about Protean Hulk, but I've seen him do broken things. Hulk + Hell's Caretaker is game breaking, if left unchecked.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 8:01 am 

I chose to go lightly on the reanimation as a matter of preference. Coffin Queen is disgusting and game-breaking. I have considered Dread Return, though. Still trying my list out.

I originally had the Signet, but it got cut when I was tightening up the deck. I have not had any mana problems whatsoever in any game I have played with this configuration. The Rot Farm...I am just not wild about Karoos in general, particularly in a format where people play Strip Mine, Wasteland, Ghost Quarter, and Dust Bowl. The extra land drop it gives me is irrelevant. I don't want to play it early due to the LD effects, and I don't need it late.

Yeah, I need to see if any of my friends have a Symbiotic Wurm...I sold a ton of $1 rares a couple of weeks ago, and I guarantee I had at least a playset of them in that box. Heh. I'll give Hulk a try, I guess. If nothing else, it's another way to tutor for Eternal Witness.

Any thoughts on Chord Of Calling as an additional tutor? I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be pretty decent, as it lets you tutor for a sacrifice outlet and put it directly in play.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Apr-17 11:36 am 
EDH Rules Committee

When you have 40+ options on one card, that has the potential to put a devastating threat into play at instant speed, then I'd say you can't go wrong.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-04 7:07 am 

Here are some MVPs in my Savra deck:

Sac lands:
High Market, Phyrexian Tower, Miren the Moaning Well, and Diamond Valley. I do play Grave Pact and like to use Savra to milk the board.

Of course, I play Smokestack, Helm of Posession, Woebringer Demon, the Abyss, Maguss of the Abyss, Call to the Grave, Recurring Nightmare, Leyline of the Void, you get the idea.

Things to sac: Mindslicer (brutal), Pattern of Rebirth, Solemn Simacrulum, Deadwood Treefolk, Senguir Autocrat, Kukusho.

Krovikan Horror is the Squee you want for multiplayer in G/B builds and works excellently with survival of the fittest.

Don't forget Ghost Quarter if you want to keep nuking Volrath's stronghold.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-05 11:03 am 

The deck has changed quite a bit since I posted the list, and I have tried out a lot of the cards you have mentioned and wasn't impressed with a lot of them. With the changes I have made, the deck runs very smoothly, although I sometimes don't draw enough creatures.

The lands...well, aside from Diamond Valley, Miren has been the only land I have really been happy with as far as sac lands go. I don't own a Diamond Valley, though. Heh.

I tried Smokestack, Woebringer Demon, and Magus Of The Abyss, but they were never that great for me.

Mindslicer is really situationally good, as you have to have board superiority to get away with sacrificing it. Pattern never did enough for me to keep it. Solemn Simulacrum is one of those cards that seems like it should be an auto-include, but I never really cared if I drew it or not. Kokusho is a beating, Autocrat is good if you have a sacrifice outlet online, and Deadwood Treefolk are ok.

I do really like Krovikan Horror; I'd completely forgotten about it, to be honest. I used to always play 1 copy in my B/G Survival builds of many eons ago.

Oh, and with Wasteland and Dust Bowl, along with Withered Wretch and such, I can usually keep Stronghold under control.

Thanks for the comments!

Offline Profile