Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 6:53 pm

Post subject: Consecrated Sphinx and Notion Thief
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-24 11:25 pm 

I was curious about something. I recently saw someone play notion thief to take massive draws I was getting off of a consecrated sphinx and a clone token I made of it using rite of replication. I realized they had accidentally killed themselves because using the sphinx's may draw the notion thief forces them to draw what I would have drawn so I just wound up decking them. What I was wondering was, does anyone have ideas that might be at all playable to donate a notion thief to an opponent and kill them with consecrated sphinx or perhaps something similar? Thought it might be funny?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Consecrated Sphinx and Notion Thief
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-24 11:33 pm 

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-n ... 6-01-14-1/

For the record this is the deck I would like to try and use said combo (if it is at all playable that is).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 3:42 am 

PandoraWaspfox wrote:
I was curious about something. I recently saw someone play notion thief to take massive draws I was getting off of a consecrated sphinx and a clone token I made of it using rite of replication. I realized they had accidentally killed themselves because using the sphinx's may draw the notion thief forces them to draw what I would have drawn so I just wound up decking them. What I was wondering was, does anyone have ideas that might be at all playable to donate a notion thief to an opponent and kill them with consecrated sphinx or perhaps something similar? Thought it might be funny?

I think the Sphinx player has to chose to draw the cards (it's a may ability). "Would" only applies if he says yes but nothing happens if he says no.

On a related timing issue, when would you have to cast the Notion Thief to benefit from the Sphinx player deciding to draw? If I understand correctly, once the trigger resolves, there won't be time to cast eth NT and, if you play it before the trigger resolves, the Sphinx player will just choose not to draw.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 5:09 am 

zimagic wrote:
PandoraWaspfox wrote:

I think the Sphinx player has to chose to draw the cards (it's a may ability). "Would" only applies if he says yes but nothing happens if he says no.

On a related timing issue, when would you have to cast the Notion Thief to benefit from the Sphinx player deciding to draw? If I understand correctly, once the trigger resolves, there won't be time to cast eth NT and, if you play it before the trigger resolves, the Sphinx player will just choose not to draw.

I think he meant having both Sphinx and Thief, then donating his thief so his sphinx causes the draw-to-death.

And you would really need is once you give Notion Thief away then Prosperity (or similar) for enough. If I figured this right1, a Four Player Game with Prosperity for 5 and a Sphinx would mean the Notion Owner draws 60 (or dies).

Consecrated Sphinx is in Play for Player 1
Notion Thief is given to Player 4.
Player 1 casts Prosperity X=5
Players 1,2, and 3 skip drawing all cards because none of the draws are the first draw on a draw step; Player 4 draws 5, plus the 15 skipped Prosperity draws for 20 total.
Sphinx triggers 20 times allowing Player 1 to say "Yes, I'll draw 2;" those 40 draws are skipped and player 4 draws another 40.

or

3(X*N)
X = X in Prosperity
N = Number of players

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 5:38 am 

Ok, I got that toally the wrong way around. Sorry.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 9:25 am 

Yeah, I would donate the thief some way and then use the sphinx trigger to force them to endlessly draw cards. I was just curious about the best way to donate it that would benefit the rest of the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 9:27 am 

Treamayne wrote:
zimagic wrote:
PandoraWaspfox wrote:

I think he meant having both Sphinx and Thief, then donating his thief so his sphinx causes the draw-to-death.

And you would really need is once you give Notion Thief away then Prosperity (or similar) for enough. If I figured this right1, a Four Player Game with Prosperity for 5 and a Sphinx would mean the Notion Owner draws 60 (or dies).

Consecrated Sphinx is in Play for Player 1
Notion Thief is given to Player 4.
Player 1 casts Prosperity X=5
Players 1,2, and 3 skip drawing all cards because none of the draws are the first draw on a draw step; Player 4 draws 5, plus the 15 skipped Prosperity draws for 20 total.
Sphinx triggers 20 times allowing Player 1 to say "Yes, I'll draw 2;" those 40 draws are skipped and player 4 draws another 40.

or

3(X*N)
X = X in Prosperity
N = Number of players

Also the notion thief would continue to trigger for the sphinx as long as the player of the sphinx continued to keep drawing in response to the thief's draws.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 11:37 am 

PandoraWaspfox wrote:
does anyone have ideas that might be at all playable to donate a notion thief

Well, of course there's Donate. Puca's Mischief is a good one too. Avarice Totem and a lot of mana? Cultural Exchange?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 2:03 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
PandoraWaspfox wrote:
does anyone have ideas that might be at all playable to donate a notion thief

Well, of course there's Donate. Puca's Mischief is a good one too. Avarice Totem and a lot of mana? Cultural Exchange?
Cultural Exchange might be cool, as I could exchange other things if I really wanted, or if I make a copy of the Notion Thief I could swap those for stuff also. While on that subject, I think this might be fairly viable in general because besides the fact the notion thief is kind of okay on its own without comboing, swapping creatures wouldnt be so bad a thing either.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 2:05 pm 

Actually feeling Puca's Mischief would be best, as I just read it said may and I like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-27 12:36 pm 

Just be aware that if they have any instant speed removal that is castable with the mana they have up, the player receiving Notion Thief will be able to kill either the Sphinx or the Thief and just have a super juiced hand. The Sphinx player will have a bunch of triggers on the stack at that point, though, so they will also end up with a super juiced hand once the dust settles.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-30 8:41 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Just be aware that if they have any instant speed removal that is castable with the mana they have up, the player receiving Notion Thief will be able to kill either the Sphinx or the Thief and just have a super juiced hand. The Sphinx player will have a bunch of triggers on the stack at that point, though, so they will also end up with a super juiced hand once the dust settles.

I'm figuring the only way to go about this play right would be to have a counterspell on hand for if and when they attempt to kill the sphinx.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-31 7:26 am 

Since you're the one doling out the Notion Thief, you could try to catch them with their pants down - "Oh, you're tapped out? EOT Flash in Notion Thief, upkeep donate it to you with Puca's Mischief. I pass to that guy, and you lose on his draw step. GG.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-31 11:18 am 

PandoraWaspfox wrote:
JJackson wrote:

I'm figuring the only way to go about this play right would be to have a counterspell on hand for if and when they attempt to kill the sphinx.

A counterspell probably isn't going to be enough if they have a bunch of mana. They'll draw anything they've got, so you have to stop every one. Tapping them out with Drain Power is also an option here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-01 1:04 pm 

Bazaar Trader could be good here, because they instantly donate.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile