Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Oct-31 4:07 pm

Post subject: what are the most competitive EDH deck's out there?
AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 4:44 am 

Subject says it all, so please list out what you think is the most COMPETITIVE edh decks?

Im new to EDH as of....about a month ago? Im trying to find the best competitive edh deck to copy. money is no issue

thanks =]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: what are the most competitive EDH deck's out there?
AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 5:20 am 

Netdecking EDH is pretty much against the nature of the format, *sigh*.

That said, what are you looking for? Genuine EDH (built for chaos multiplayer) or 1v1? There are cards and generals with very different power levels between the two styles of play.

There are a number of very strong generals, most of them using blue. Sharuum, Erayo, Azami, Zur, Arcum, Jhoira are some that come off the top of my head. Look around at others' decks, but you'll probably have more fun and be more accepted if you brainstorm and build your own list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 6:31 am 

Isamaru, Hound of Konda and 99 Plains.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 6:42 am 

You could check out this thread if you really want to go this way. Please bear in mind that unless you're going to some kind of tournament, if you make your deck too "competitive", most people simply won't want to play you, and you can't MAKE someone play a casual game with you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 9:23 am 

Multiplayer is the only EDH I play.

is zur for multiplayer or 1v1 Competitively? cuz i might run him. id rather stay away from 1st turn combo decks. but I do want to win 9/10 games.

thank you to everyone so far for posting up =]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 10:02 am 

I would say mono color EDH decks are the most competitive decks out there. Ranking from Blue, Black, Green/White, red, from most to least. They are competitive due to the fact that they are most stable in this unstable format, and stability(being able to what you want when you want) is the key to winning the game.

Blue, i would look into Arcum Dagsson; Azami, Lady of Scrolls; and Erayo, Soratami Ascendant...Arcum is the most fun for me

Black, look into Ob Nixilis, the Fallen; Chainer, Dementia Master; Xiahou dun(If you can find one)

Green, look into Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary; Azusa, Lost but Seeking; and the worldwake new guy OMNATH, LOCUS OF MANA

don't like white and red that much...

Although, i would not suggest building a super competitive deck. the reason been is no matter how strong you are you can only take on so many players at the same time. Especially when you are playing in a above average strength play group, the game is going to turn into nv1 very quickly and it will just be no fun for you in the end.

maybe you can try to build the best deck you can built on paper first, than remove some nasty stuff and sub in some funky stuff (tunning it down a little) but not affecting your core strategies.

One thing i learned out of playing my shares of EDH games, is that some time winning a game has to do with more politics rather than brute force =).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 1:11 pm 

nateantonio wrote:
but I do want to win 9/10 games.

Frankly, this is a very unrealistic goal, unless the players in your area are very, very bad, both at deckbuilding and actual playskill.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 7:00 pm 

nateantonio wrote:
is zur for multiplayer or 1v1 Competitively? cuz i might run him. id rather stay away from 1st turn combo decks. but I do want to win 9/10 games.

You will be hated off the table if you choose to run Zur or any other tier 1 general if the rest of your opponents actually have a brain.

If you want to win 9/10 of games, you should really reconsider your train of thought. If you are dominating the table and winning over and over again, people will either:

A) Gang up on you
B) Refuse to play with you

Obviously, no one is going to stop you from making the most fully optimized and most competitive deck possible in EDH. I'll just warn you that said deck will quickly overstay its welcome.

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 9:52 pm 

nateantonio wrote:
is zur for multiplayer or 1v1 Competitively?

yes.

honestly, if you want to win that often, make sure you let everyone have fun. everyone has a part of them that wants to win 9/10 games, but IRL that doesn't happen that often. most people just want to have fun, esp. in this format. i'm a very biased johnny though. if you play to win, then play the tier 1 decks. as stated before, majority use blue.

i would also suggest building a more casual and fun deck, too, so when people don't want to play against your competitive deck, you can give them a break. for this i would suggest phelddagrif, or any other "group hug" general.

check out the Mighty Emergence combo.
Thraximundar, "lets paint the town red"
Teysa, Orzhov Scion (retired)
Sasaya (in the making)
Isamaru (in the making)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-30 1:05 am 

right now I am running

Sliver overlord, for sliver deck-seems to be prity competitive im just tweeking it right now.

marrow- relentless rats- its fun to play dosnt always win but when it goes off its fun, so this is somewhat of a casual deck

and rith- which is a bit slow because of mana costs so this deck is reallly casual, and very fun to play thanks to miaris wake and doubleing season and other stuff like coat of arms and blah blah blah just all in all a very fun casual deck

im working on zur for my 2nd competitive deck and pheldogriph for my next really casual new group hug deck =]

can someone link me the best posible deck I can copy for zur and pheldogryph? also if you have any ideas for the other decks I posted I always take tips advice and help.

thank you everyone =] I understand the point of competitive decks and dont intend on running it ALL the time beacuse I dont wana be "that guy"
I like winning ,and I like group hug,

so all in all thanks to everyone I hope This thread helps the next person who walks down the same path I did.

Offline Profile