Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-18 5:54 pm

Post subject: Deckbuilding for those of a different mindset...
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 1:32 pm 

I've recently completed the 32 challenge, and the 6 cEDH challenge, and have spent a lot of time playing with my wife since Alara block...

She generally doesn't fair well with deck construction but will give me ideas of commander's or archetypes she's wanting to play.

Her play style is to mainly show up, control the board as a whole (very little spot removal, think more watch the world burn) and then seal the win or make splashy plays. As complex as the game is, and even though she's played for over a decade, she has a difficult time working the stack and keeping the board state clear. Her threat assessment suffers a bit from that, but she is REALLY good at reading people, so generally makes the right choice.

Lately she wanted to play a Kazarov deck, so I constructed a pretty stock list with all the good one sided pinging action. The deck became far too complex as other decks became active. She became a bit disheartened afterwards as she felt the deck should have been mostly straight forward.

I'm hoping to put together a more straight forward deck that allows her to play the game without mentally taxing herself, but still be somewhat involved in the board state.

Preferably a mono black, blue, or red deck which has the following:

Plan A is straight forward.
Plan B is rely on plan A.

Here's how her Avacyn Deck looks for reference:

Commander
Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Creature
Admonition Angel
Angel of Glory's Rise
Angelic Arbiter
Auriok Champion
Capashen Unicorn
Devout Witness
Keening Apparition
Nova Cleric
Razor Hippogriff
Reveillark
Rhox Faithmender
Serra Ascendant
Serra Avatar
Soul Warden
Soul's Attendant
Sun Titan
Tragic Poet

Sorcery
Akroma's Vengeance
Kirtar's Wrath
Planar Cleansing
Righteous Fury
Rout
Storm Herd

Instant
Beacon of Immortality
Condemn
Divine Offering
Enlightened Tutor
Faith's Reward
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares

Artifact
Akroma's Memorial
Champion's Helm
Crawlspace
Crucible of Worlds
Elixir of Immortality
Extraplanar Lens
Gilded Lotus
Howling Mine
Library of Leng
Mind's Eye
Mycosynth Lattice
Nevinyrral's Disk
Platinum Angel
Pristine Talisman
Scroll Rack*
Sol Ring
Staff of Nin
Swiftfoot Boots
Trading Post
Venser's Journal
Well of Lost Dreams

Enchantment
Arrest
Celestial Mantle
Cradle of Vitality
Faith's Fetters
Ghostly Prison
Kismet
Land Tax
Marshal's Anthem
Oblivion Ring
True Conviction

Planeswalker
Ajani Goldmane
Elspeth, Knight Errant

Land
Snow-Covered Plains 20
Ancient Den
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Flagstones of Trokair
Fountain of Cho
Ghost Quarter
Kor Haven
Mouth of Ronom
New Benalia
Reliquary Tower
Ruins of Trokair
Springjack Pasture
Temple of the False God
Urza's Mine
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Tower
Wasteland

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Deckbuilding for those of a different mindset...
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 2:33 pm 

Krenko, Mob Boss sounds like a good option. The plan is about as straightforward as it gets haha. You make goblins and then you make some more goblins. It's a lot of fun and can be fairly powerful if you build it right.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 1:53 am 

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser has a lot of on-the-spot tactical decisions, even though the overall deck strategy is straightforward. Hit face, use goad to make it easier to hit face, steal cards that you think will make it easier to hit face.

Omnath, Locus of Mana is not the colors mentioned, but has the pretty straightforward plan of "ramp, draw cards, and swing for lethal". Was one of the first decks I've ever built and to this day is still one of my favorites, albeit having gone through a revision or twenty.

Geth, Lord of the Vault is another one that has a straightforward but interactive strategy. Step 1, get creatures or artifacts into the opponents' graveyards by any means possible. Step 2, cast Geth. Step 3, Profit.

Vendilion Clique voltron is another fun one I've enjoyed. The goal is to hit each opponent in the face 7 times, and countering or removing anything that prevents that from happening. If you want to do the same thing but be more under the radar, Pheldagriff is an excellent choice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 2:02 am 

What is a 6 cEDH challenge?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 11:51 am 

Sovarius wrote:
What is a 6 cEDH challenge?

The 6 cEDH challenge is to have 6 cEDH decks, starting with a colorless deck, and ending with a five color deck, each subsequent deck requires the colors of the previous deck.

So for instance:
{C} - Hope of Giraphur Stax
{U} - Teferri Stax
{U}{G} - Momir ElfBall
{U}{G}{B} - Tasigur Tendrils
{U}{G}{B}{W} - Thrasios Ballista
{U}{G}{B}{W}{R} - Tazri Food Chain

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 11:53 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser has a lot of on-the-spot tactical decisions, even though the overall deck strategy is straightforward. Hit face, use goad to make it easier to hit face, steal cards that you think will make it easier to hit face.

Omnath, Locus of Mana is not the colors mentioned, but has the pretty straightforward plan of "ramp, draw cards, and swing for lethal". Was one of the first decks I've ever built and to this day is still one of my favorites, albeit having gone through a revision or twenty.

Geth, Lord of the Vault is another one that has a straightforward but interactive strategy. Step 1, get creatures or artifacts into the opponents' graveyards by any means possible. Step 2, cast Geth. Step 3, Profit.

Vendilion Clique voltron is another fun one I've enjoyed. The goal is to hit each opponent in the face 7 times, and countering or removing anything that prevents that from happening. If you want to do the same thing but be more under the radar, Pheldagriff is an excellent choice.

She actually has a mono green Elfball deck with Omnath as the leader.

Of the remaining 3, Geth sounds like a good bet. She has an inner timmy that screams out for Mill and discard. I hadn't even thought of Geth for a deck idea.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 1:01 pm 

Sounds kinda familiar to my wife. She primarily plays Trostani and just loves building up a gigantic army, wind-slamming Akroma's Memorial and curbstomping everyone. Very straightforward, doesn't interact with the stack much at all, but can have a lot of splashy plays.

Is Rakdos, Lord of Riots too straightforward? The Rakdos color combination has a lot of board wipes available to keep things clear, which helps your Rakdos (and other creatures) connect for that sweet price reduction. It'll also run a lot of pinging effects similarly to the Kazarov deck, except it'll rely less on needing specific threat assessment. Plus, ultimately, there's lots of opportunities to make splashy plays due to the price reduction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 12:44 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Is Rakdos, Lord of Riots too straightforward? The Rakdos color combination has a lot of board wipes available to keep things clear, which helps your Rakdos (and other creatures) connect for that sweet price reduction. It'll also run a lot of pinging effects similarly to the Kazarov deck, except it'll rely less on needing specific threat assessment. Plus, ultimately, there's lots of opportunities to make splashy plays due to the price reduction.

Rakdos might be a good change for her as well, though she has had her eyes on Mogis as a replacement Rakdos set.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-12 11:42 am 

moraff wrote:
Lately she wanted to play a Kazarov deck, so I constructed a pretty stock list with all the good one sided pinging action. The deck became far too complex as other decks became active. She became a bit disheartened afterwards as she felt the deck should have been mostly straight forward.

I'm hoping to put together a more straight forward deck that allows her to play the game without mentally taxing herself, but still be somewhat involved in the board state.

Preferably a mono black, blue, or red deck which has the following:

Plan A is straight forward.
Plan B is rely on plan A.

Have you considered Garza Zol Vampire tribal. It has some pinging action without overwhelming the effect, has other creatures that benefit from pinging as well*, is fairly straightforward, and has the option of things like Death Pits of Rath and other ways to ensure creatures like Sengir Vampire and his Baron make their kills (that still synergize with ping).

For just a straight-forward mono-B, I would suggest Maga big-mana or Volrath the Fallen Reanimater. In UB, Sygg, River Cutthroat unblockable and in RB Bladewing the Risen dragons is fun.

*Note: I really enjoy Dizzying Gaze, Hypervolt Grasp, etc on the Sengir style vampires, because in response to anything dying (fliers for the gaze) you can ping for a counter.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-13 10:18 am 

What about some sort of "Tap out and always swing" deck, like a Grand Warlord Rhada or something?

Plan A: Cast your best card and swing everything at the most open person.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile