MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/

Muldrotha Spirit Tribal
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19076
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Mar-24 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

I've been thinking about doing a Muldrotha deck, and it occurred to me after seeing the Soulshift ability that maybe I could try doing Spirit tribal. Maybe not heavily utilizing the Soulshift ability necessarily.

I know I could concentrate the deck on performing the Iname, Death Aspect + Living Death and/or Mortal Combat combination. My only concern is how slow it is, plus having a deep vulnerability to graveyard hate (maybe I can't avoid that regardless though, considering Muldrotha's giant target-like body).

The Kirin plus zubera creatures could lead me to more of a control path. Maybe a better option than relying too heavily on a combo?

What do you all think? I don't have enough experience with Muldrotha or Spirit tribal.

Author:  Treamayne [ 2019-Mar-25 8:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

Segrus wrote:
I've been thinking about doing a Muldrotha deck, and it occurred to me after seeing the Soulshift ability that maybe I could try doing Spirit tribal. Maybe not heavily utilizing the Soulshift ability necessarily.

I know I could concentrate the deck on performing the Iname, Death Aspect + Living Death and/or Mortal Combat combination. My only concern is how slow it is, plus having a deep vulnerability to graveyard hate (maybe I can't avoid that regardless though, considering Muldrotha's giant target-like body).

The Kirin plus zubera creatures could lead me to more of a control path. Maybe a better option than relying too heavily on a combo?

What do you all think? I don't have enough experience with Muldrotha or Spirit tribal.


1. Why Spirit tribal when Muldrotha is an Elemental Avatar? Just because of Soulshift?

2. I've had GB Iname as one and BGW Karador spirit tribal decks. I can see the allure of trading W for U (though I think the ideal spirit tribal would be WUB, if there were a legend in those colors). I enjoy playing the theme. Have you considered:
    A. Patriarch's Bidding (and other "choose creature type" effects)
    B. Elder Pine of Jukai/Loam Dweller is a great value engine
    C. Likewise, Nether Shadow/Nether Traitor do good work, especially if you use a "sac for fun and profit" subtheme
    D. Combo back-up plan might not be a bad idea, but value and turning sideways should be perfectly valid for Spirit tribal.
    E. Keep an Elixir of Immortality primed if you plan to go for Iname, Death Aspect combo, you will likely need to shuffle the graveyard back in response to attempts to exile the graveyard after you cast Iname.
    F. Most of the Soulshift creatures are sub-par, but there are a few stars that would likely make the cut
    - [url]http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[soulshift]&color=|[U]|[B]|[G][/url]
    G. Garruk, Primal Hunter has the sweet-spot of a minus ability that matches starting loyalty, allowing Muldrotha to cast him each turn for the "Draw cards equal to greatest power" effect each turn (until exiled)

Hope that helps, and I'll update if I think of more.

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Mar-26 12:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

I already have an Elemental tribal deck with Horde of Notions, and I like it enough that I won't be getting rid of it. I wasn't necessarily wanting to go all-in on Soulshift, just explaining where my thoughts stemmed from. There seems to be a decent number of Spirits that interact with the graveyard or sac abilities.

I may hold onto the possibility of Death Aspect combo, but maybe I should use it like a repeatable Buried Alive, where I toolbox the cards best for the scenarios I may end up facing.

Author:  moraff [ 2019-Mar-26 4:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

As someone who has Kamigawa Spirit Arcane tribal deck, I can admit the deck is super fun to play.

It's SUPER mana hungry though so Green is a must. I run Animar as the commander for my deck. Blue gives you access to some real good spirits. Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar, Ethereal Usher and Drift of Phantasms are extremely good for what you're wanting to accomplish. Especially with the Soulshift mechanic to get back the Transmute cards.

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Mar-26 11:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

Mana hungry, no joke. Everything really good is 6 CMC or higher, generally speaking. All three of those are ones I'm looking at adding to the deck, so I'm happy to hear I've made at least some good choices. Haha

I've also come to realize Deadeye Navigator is a spirit, so I'm considering finding a spot for it. I think this will be the only deck I run the card in.

Author:  moraff [ 2019-Mar-27 3:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

If you go the Kamigawa block route, it's important to realize that VERY little of those spirits are ETB triggers, so DEN isn't quite the slam dunk one would think. Some of the Onna are good for it. In Muldrotha colors, there's some good self mill options.

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Mar-27 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

I think the main point in deciding to add Deadeye would be to allow me to reset Muldrotha and cast another set of things from my graveyard.

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Mar-31 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

I posted a decklist over in the Decklist forum and will probably continue discussion over there, if there's any to be had.

Author:  moraff [ 2019-Mar-31 3:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

Segrus wrote:
I think the main point in deciding to add Deadeye would be to allow me to reset Muldrotha and cast another set of things from my graveyard.



...

...

...

I think I just threw up a little.

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Mar-31 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

I'd like to take credit for causing somebody to throw up, but alas I'm not clever enough to come up with it on my own. I've seen it included in competitive EDH lists.

Author:  moraff [ 2019-Apr-02 1:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

Having played against you in Atlanta in the past, I thought the Muldrotha play was absolutely something you could pull off.

I've now began looking at a making a WUBG list that can run both Muldrotha and Karador in the lists.

Author:  Viperion [ 2019-Apr-02 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

moraff wrote:
Having played against you in Atlanta in the past, I thought the Muldrotha play was absolutely something you could pull off.

I've now began looking at a making a WUBG list that can run both Muldrotha and Karador in the lists.

Atraxa?

EDIT: Actually Thrasios + Ravos or Kydele + Tymna would probably work better in the deck

Author:  moraff [ 2019-Apr-02 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

I'm thinking of a Thrasios + Ravos shell, with Hermit Druid / Reanimator shenanigans. Possibly running the Memory's Journey and Pull from Eternity engine.

Author:  Segrus [ 2019-Apr-07 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

moraff wrote:
Having played against you in Atlanta in the past, I thought the Muldrotha play was absolutely something you could pull off.

I've now began looking at a making a WUBG list that can run both Muldrotha and Karador in the lists.

Ah, you remember Atlanta? Such a fun time. I really kinda want to go to another event like that, just hang out and play Commander all weekend, but I'm going through some stuff still and I haven't set aside time to get away from work yet or what/where I even really want. Anyway, all the decks I brought there I still have. Need a rematch sometime.

moraff wrote:
I'm thinking of a Thrasios + Ravos shell, with Hermit Druid / Reanimator shenanigans. Possibly running the Memory's Journey and Pull from Eternity engine.

If you need another way to take advantage of Muldrotha, Phantasmal Image gains you more Muldrotha activations. Once you combine that with Animate Dead/Necromancy and LED, welcome to infinite mana.

Author:  moraff [ 2019-Apr-08 8:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Muldrotha Spirit Tribal

Segrus wrote:
Ah, you remember Atlanta? Such a fun time. I really kinda want to go to another event like that, just hang out and play Commander all weekend, but I'm going through some stuff still and I haven't set aside time to get away from work yet or what/where I even really want. Anyway, all the decks I brought there I still have. Need a rematch sometime.


I do remember Atlanta. My memory for events and the like is generally rock solid. I've thought about going to SCG CON this year as the Commander Vs, Bennie and Sheldon are going to be in attendance gunslinging commander games again.

That's awesome that you still have all of your decks. I've altered, scrapped, and rebuilt a lot of mine. My focus this week during my downtime is trying to finalize my 32 challenge, and then start on my self imposed cEDH 6 deck escalation challenge. (Colorless, Mono color, dual color, tri color, null-color, and five color. Each advancing deck must include the color(s) of the previous.)

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/