Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-19 3:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-07 7:34 am 

Coco wrote:
Who gets the most mileage out of Dusk // Dawn?

Arcades, the Strategist, without question. Run it in my own deck and love it.

Does any home for the next card spring // mind?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-07 7:53 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Haha now there's a card I run in one of my decks. It's a Yidris, Maelstrom Wanderer deck where the only cards that cost 4 or less are Mizzix of the Izmagus, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, and Ezuri, Claw of Progress. I think these cards are great for any deck that wants to leverage cascade as a way to access a specific subset of cards.
I think the best general for this type of deck (which I will be switching to when I get a copy) is the newly printed The First Sliver.

How do you make Appeal // Authority work?

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 6:34 am 

Coco wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Haha now there's a card I run in one of my decks. It's a Yidris, Maelstrom Wanderer deck where the only cards that cost 4 or less are Mizzix of the Izmagus, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, and Ezuri, Claw of Progress. I think these cards are great for any deck that wants to leverage cascade as a way to access a specific subset of cards.
I think the best general for this type of deck (which I will be switching to when I get a copy) is the newly printed The First Sliver.

How do you make Appeal // Authority work?

Definitely wants to live in a deck that goes wide.

My guess would be the classic Rith, the Awakener. Rith already has some evasion, so, Authority can be stronger, and the deck will probably already be fairly token oriented to make good use of Appeal. This feels like a boring answer, though; maybe Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder/Tana, the Bloodsower to leverage some double strike action would be better?

How do y'all feel about Cut // Ribbons?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 12:13 pm 

Sinis wrote:
How do y'all feel about Cut // Ribbons?

I feel it's... pretty generic. Basically it's half an Exsanguinate with a bad burn spell attached. Great limited card, pretty shitty for EDH.

I guess maybe in some sort of Grixis spell deck, perhaps Kess,?

How about Spark Reaper?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 1:57 am 

Seems like a sac engine that hits both walkers and creatures would go perfectly with Storrev. He's also better the more PW-heavy the deck is since his ability can be copied with Rings, and he also likes the token generation that comes with including Doubling Season.

Next card I have and want to put in a deck where it's something other than just generic goodstuff: Planar Bridge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 1:48 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Next card I have and want to put in a deck where it's something other than just generic goodstuff: Planar Bridge.

Doesn't get much more generic goodstuffy than that, but how about an Estrid, the Masked deck that uses (for some reason) Enduring Ideal? The Bridge (assuming you cast it pre-epic) would give you something to do with your mana.

Putting that aside, I'm sure Selvala, Heart of the Wild would love the ability to tutor out non-creature support cards, like Eldrazi Monument or Akroma's Memorial, and generates the mana to make it happen, as well as being able to bust out the most appropriate big fatty for any given situation. All at instant speed.

Hows aboot Arcades, the Strategist... does anyone want him in the 99?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 4:25 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Hows aboot Arcades, the Strategist... does anyone want him in the 99?

Outside of a decent-build-around commander, I think he might be playable. He's a 3/5 Flying/Vigilance beater for 4. He might also draw you a card if you're playing Sylvan Caryatid or similar Defender mana dorks. It's not nothing.

Last week, I was cataloging bicolour cards for Niv-Mizzet Reborn, and noticed the Fate Reforged dragons might fit into a deck that tries to trigger their abilities (for reference, Silumgar, the Drifting Death and others in the cycle). New-Mizzet could draw them from the top 10, which isn't insignificant.

Despite not being within New-Mizzet's criteria to be drawn, Arcades might fit into this deck on account of being a well-costed dragon with acceptable stats (or a similar deck headed by The Ur-Dragon). In The Ur-Dragon, Arcades is a measly 3 mana (where you're more likely to be screwed out of colour than missing the land drop if you don't have an expensive mana base).

I want to say it my final answer would be in some builds of New-Mizzet involving the need for a number of aggressively costed dragon-bodies.

I drafted Modern Horizons on the weekend. Have we talked about Planebound Apprentice?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 6:29 am 

Sinis wrote:
I drafted Modern Horizons on the weekend. Have we talked about Planebound Apprentice?

Planebound Accomplice
I am envisioning a pretty crazy deck in 4 color nongreen that involves hasty Gideons and ninjutsu. Probably Silas Renn and Bruse Tarl since a double striking deathtoucher is a good candidate for creature that won't be blocked.

What about Scrapyard Recombiner?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 10:05 am 

You'd want some combination of +1/+1 counters and cares about artifacts; how about an off-the-wall Sultai build with Reyhan, Last of the Abzan and Silas Renn? Silas can get you back the sacrificed artifact, and Reyhan is backup for Modular effects (essentially giving modular to all of your creatures). Throw in Walking Ballista for super fun times +1/+1 counter machine gunning.

How about a card I legitimately didn't know existed until about an hour ago - Archon of Valor's Reach?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-11 11:19 am 

Viperion wrote:
How about a card I legitimately didn't know existed until about an hour ago - Archon of Valor's Reach?

Easy answer: Mayael the Anima. 5-power, likely impacts your opponents more than you. (You were just using your mana to activate Mayael anyway, right?)

Scumbaggy answer: Some form of Bant clones.dec, so you can get Followed Footsteps or Progenitor Mimic or Rite of Replication copies of this (or Iona). Put Derevi in charge for maximum salt potential.

Actual answer: It's seems perfect for a "Can't touch me" Shalai list. Build up a critical mass of redundant protections (think Avacyn, Asceticism, Privileged Position, Archetype of Endurance, etc.) This guy fits right in. Even better after a one-sided wrath to close out the game. "Can't play creatures" while your army can't be touched (and Shalai keeps buffing) is pretty great, I would imagine.

What's something interesting involving Crumbling Sanctuary?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-14 12:57 am 

Jeyal wrote:

I am pretty sure this works with Szadek, Lord of Secrets in that you can choose to use his replacement first so he gets bigger.

Playing Crumbling Sanctuary makes it so your other creatures aren't fighting on a different front (damage vs. mill).

What about Ethereal Ambush?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-15 4:28 pm 

Coco wrote:
Jeyal wrote:

I am pretty sure this works with Szadek, Lord of Secrets in that you can choose to use his replacement first so he gets bigger.

Unfortunately, the affected player gets to choose which replacement effect to apply.

A friend of mine has a Pharika, God of Affliction deck focused on exiling and processing opponents' cards and otherwise messing with exile. That, or maybe a Dimir version led by Circu, could want this.

Coco wrote:
What about Ethereal Ambush?

Maybe there could be some kind of ETB drawback focused deck, where you try to put cards like Phyrexian Dreadnought, Sky Swallower, etc. onto the battlefield face down or counter their triggers? To facilitate manifesting and finding combo pieces, lets say it could be led by Momir Vig.

Next: How about Murder Investigation?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-16 9:48 am 

NMS wrote:

Obviously wants to be in a deck that makes big things and then snackrifices them to go wide. I'll say Brion Stoutarm could make good use of this, putting it on something gigantic like Serra Avatar or Malignus and then Flinging it at an opponent EOT for an army. Also retrievable with Sun Titan, which is nice.

How's about Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-16 8:33 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
NMS wrote:

Obviously wants to be in a deck that makes big things and then snackrifices them to go wide. I'll say Brion Stoutarm could make good use of this, putting it on something gigantic like Serra Avatar or Malignus and then Flinging it at an opponent EOT for an army. Also retrievable with Sun Titan, which is nice.

It just clicked that Murder Investigation is also a stellar insurance plan for Krav, the Unredeemed (naturally a BW deck with Regna, the Redeemer). Put it on Krav, and if he ever dies to removal you'll have a surplus army to feed him again. If he dies to a board wipe you'll have an army after it, too.

The next card is still:

Sid the Chicken wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-16 11:51 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

I mean, I guess you go with Mowu, Loyal Companion? So odd that the pupper can be your commander but not the owner.

I any commander that deals in +1/+1 counters could use Jiang Yanggu so something like Anafenza, the Foremost or Borborygmos would be great. Borborygmos big mana deck would be interesting to see, so I would go with that.

Who might want Wave of Terror?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next