Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-22 7:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-01 5:00 am 

TygerClaw wrote:
Next card: Synod Sanctum

A middle child in effects starting with Safe Haven, Cold Storage and appearing recently as the Helvault, and Endless Sands. I've often wanted to play these cards, and just respond to your opponent's removal by exiling the target away, and then unleashing the beasts on the world when times are safer.

Part of me wants to play these in some kind of board-wipe oriented deck, but it's almost too hard and slow to 'refrigerate' the creatures you want to save (Cold Storage, I would say, is the foremost of these cards, though I definitely like Endless Sands because there is virtually no opportunity cost to running some colourless mana-producing land that comes into play untapped). Sadly, none of these things survive through Jokulhaups or similar cards (well, Helvault doesn't, but, you get the creature pile after the flood). It's notable that Sun Titan can get most of these cards back.

That in mind, my offering for this kind of deck would be Mageta the Lion. At worst, you can exile a creature on someone's end step, and then again before activating Mageta. Post-Mageta wrath, feel free to crack it and cut loose on the empty board. Also, I haven't seen a Mageta deck. Ever.

Next up: Skill Borrower.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 1:47 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
MMLgamer wrote:
Next: Golden Guardian.
Like most cards that generate tokens, Brudiclad is on the table here. But I feel like that answer has been used too much. Does anyone have a better one?
Sinis wrote:
I think this card is *so* bad; it's not surprising that we haven't had a confident answer in two weeks.

I wish I had seen this. Golden Guardian is one of my absolute favorite pet cards in Shattergang Brothers. Any artifact creature is nice because I can sac it as either an artifact or a creature, and if I manage to flip it it generates more of them. On top of that, I'm already playing lots of Threaten effects (Captivating Crew, Sarkhan Vol, Word of Seizing, Act of Aggression, Willow Satyr, etc.) to get better value out of my Brothers, which allows me to steal a creature that trades with Guardian, or a smaller creature which I kill with Guardian, then sacrifice Guardian to Brothers to flip it while getting more value.
Sinis wrote:

This is a weird one. It's not really a terrible card, but trying to turn it into a great card is way harder than other similar cards that can take other cards' abilities. It can only have one card's abilities at a time, and the fact they have to be artifacts, on top of your library, and only activated abilities is just so narrow. Sensei's Divining Top in play will be nice because it not only offers you some top-of-library manipulation, but it also protects Borrower by letting you tap Top, then it becomes the top card of your library so you can tap Borrower to draw Top and return Borrower to the top in response to removal/sweeper/whatever. There's probably a combo you can achieve by activating Borrower while Gemstone Array is on top of your library, generating a bunch of charge counters, then putting a Magistrate's Scepter on top of your library to take an extra turn. Mizzium Transreliquat and Mirage Mirror can also serve as backups for this kind of combo if Borrower gets disrupted. I'm going to say Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice is the best home, but another commander focused more on library manipulation would also be reasonable (Green and Black have some good top card manipulation, so something like Intet or Yennet).

Talk to me about Demonic Rising.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 3:27 am 

intreped wrote:
Talk to me about Demonic Rising.

I think this might be perfect for a voltron Bontu deck, maybe running the other "make one creature a turn" cards like Bitterblossom so that he can attack and Homicidal Seclusion type cards to make him kill faster. Seems like a very interesting balancing act to build a deck around.

Next Card: Dovin's Acuity

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 5:50 am 

Yidris, because it interacts really well with cascade mechanics

Probably Shu Yun,, because casting a lot of spells over and over is exactly his big beef.

Our next contestant will be the PW deck card that I'm positive has a home but can't find it: Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 9:45 am 

intreped wrote:
Sinis wrote:

This is a weird one. It's not really a terrible card, but trying to turn it into a great card is way harder than other similar cards that can take other cards' abilities. It can only have one card's abilities at a time, and the fact they have to be artifacts, on top of your library, and only activated abilities is just so narrow. (...)

Just want to point out: they can be creatures too. Did you want to revise your suggestion based on that?

Skill Borrower wrote:
As long as the top card of your library is an artifact or creature card, Skill Borrower has all activated abilities of that card.

(See Uktabi Kong's post before mine for the latest card.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 12:59 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Our next contestant will be the PW deck card that I'm positive has a home but can't find it: Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage

I mean, worst-case scenario he's a personal Howling Mine or Pseudo-vigilance every turn, and both of those effects are solid, though 6 mana is a little steep for them on their own. Azami, Lady of Scrolls springs to mind as a deck that might benefit from mass untap, although... ugh.

So... have we done Pestilent Spirit yet?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-02 3:44 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
So... have we done Pestilent Spirit yet?

I don't believe so.

I'm going to go off-the-wall, and say this needs to live in Not-green. WUBR. Here's my reasoning: cards like Soulfire Grand Master and various Jeskai cards reward instant/sorcery/noncreature plays. There just isn't enough support in B/R to justify heavy use of of damaging instants or sorceries; yeah, you can play cards like Satyr Firedancer, and similar stuff, but I don't think the support is really there. You're going to need to play a lot more similar stuff to justify putting Pestilent Spirit in. This deck is going to need Firesong and Sunspeaker, Soulfire Grand Master, Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest, dorks with prowess, maybe cards like Young Pyromancer/Monastery Mentor/Docent of Perfection, etc.

My money is on Kraum, Ludevic's Opus partnered with Tymna, the Weaver. If you're playing heavy burn, you're gonna need to draw. That's pretty much how I see it.

Tell me about Chance for Glory. (I've always been a sucker for these.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-06 6:26 am 

Sinis wrote:
I'm going to go off-the-wall, and say this needs to live in Not-green. WUBR. Here's my reasoning: cards like Soulfire Grand Master and various Jeskai cards reward instant/sorcery/noncreature plays. There just isn't enough support in B/R to justify heavy use of of damaging instants or sorceries; yeah, you can play cards like Satyr Firedancer, and similar stuff, but I don't think the support is really there. You're going to need to play a lot more similar stuff to justify putting Pestilent Spirit in. This deck is going to need Firesong and Sunspeaker, Soulfire Grand Master, Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest, dorks with prowess, maybe cards like Young Pyromancer/Monastery Mentor/Docent of Perfection, etc.

My money is on Kraum, Ludevic's Opus partnered with Tymna, the Weaver. If you're playing heavy burn, you're gonna need to draw. That's pretty much how I see it.

That seems like a deck I might want to build some day.

Sinis wrote:
Tell me about Chance for Glory. (I've always been a sucker for these.)

I don't think this fits a specific general per se, but it definitely wants you to be aggro, and you definitely benefit from having the ability to end the extra turn prematurely. A prowess-oriented deck like a non-voltron Shu-Yun would therefore seem ideal. You need red and white for Chance for Glory, and blue gives you additional opt-outs for your turn, like Time Stop and Day's Undoing, as well as extra ways to tutor Sundial of the Infinite. This is all assuming you're building around this effect... if you're just shoving it in a deck, I'd say any R/W/X deck that likes to go wide is fine.

Next up: Have we done Font of Agonies?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-07 1:38 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Next up: Have we done Font of Agonies?

Might be a bit obvious, but that seems great with Erebos,. Six mana and four life to draw 2 and kill a creature.

Next, how about a preview: Evolution Sage

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-07 7:55 am 

NMS wrote:
Next, how about a preview: Evolution Sage

Landfall proliferate? Methinks Lord Windgrace will want this.

Is there a home for Glass of the Guildpact?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-07 9:27 am 

Quote:

So, like all anthem effects, the most obvious home is a token deck. Unfortunately, the generals that produce the most tokens don't make multicolored ones, and the ones that make multicolored tokens don't have any particular synergy with artifacts. In the end I decided on The Locust God due to his ability to make hasty tokens, as well as his own big(ish) body and evasion meaning the +1 to him won't be completely irrelevant.

Next card has a bit of caveat: Primevals' Glorious Rebirth in a non-Superfriends deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-07 12:30 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Next card has a bit of caveat: Primevals' Glorious Rebirth in a non-Superfriends deck.

The obvious choice would have been Captain Sisay, but, you know, color ID. Second choice would have been Reki,, but same issue. My third choice actually works, Arvad the Cursed.

Other than that... the card is asymmetrical, and it is not restricted to creatures. That means you could, say, pack a ton of legendary artifacts into an esper deck and use this as an asymmetrical Open the Vaults. I'm not convinced this is a better home than Arvad though, since it requires you to have built your artifact deck in a very specific way to get any value, so I'll stick with Arvad as my answer.

Next on the block - Burning Vengeance!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-07 1:09 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I'm not convinced this is a better home than Arvad though, since it requires you to have built your artifact deck in a very specific way to get any value, so I'll stick with Arvad as my answer.

I have this deck built, actually--it's been quite fun: Legendary Reanimator. Well, it doesn't have Arvad as the commander, but it uses the two Orzhov partners.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Next on the block - Burning Vengeance!

My first thought would be any deck with Past in Flames, some kind of Izzet storm build, but more than likely you're not going to need it as it'll just be overkill. I think the better fit is a Grixis deck where you're making heavy use of Havengul Lich, Gisa and Geralf, and zombie cards like Gravecrawler. Sedris, the Traitor King would be a great choice, although Nekusar, the Mindrazer could work if you're just sticking to the zombie theme.

Maybe Drowned Secrets?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-10 3:14 am 

Segrus wrote:

This one's hard to evaluate. While it's easily triggered, the effect is so small that you'd need to trigger it many, many times for it to be worthwhile. There's two directions to go in; one is mill-for-victory, where we try to force our opponent to draw a card from an empty library while they don't have Lab Maniac on the table, and the other is a mill-for-profit scenario, where we aren't lethally milling them, but instead trying to poach their graveyard for resources.

If we are going the lethal mill route, I want to say a deck involving Brain Freeze. There are plenty of storm combo decks where you can get there. I would venture a grixis commander, so you can have access to rituals and the other traditional storm components (Yawgmoth's Will, Past in Flames, Ill-Gotten Gains, etc.). For this plan, I would say Kess, Dissident Mage.

If we're going the mill-for-profit route, I would say Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. There's lots of reasons to go this way; cards like Memory Plunder, Chancellor of the Spires, Diluvian Primordial, Hedonist's Trove. Drowned Secrets adds a little bit more value to each of your blue cards, and may make this kind of deck work better.

Because I think a storm count of 20+ is somewhat unrealistic, let's say Lazav, Dimir Mastermind is it.

Now, can can someone tell me about Outpost Siege but with a twist: You're going to want to pick Dragons rather than Khans in some circumstances.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-11 1:44 pm 

Sinis wrote:
Now, can can someone tell me about Outpost Siege but with a twist: You're going to want to pick Dragons rather than Khans in some circumstances.

Interesting... I'm gonna say Krenko, Mob Boss. The Khans mode is obvious, but the ability to use it as a rattlesnake while you expand your board out of control seems powerful. If only Brago, had red CI.

Next case... Mesmerizing Benthid

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 35  Next