Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 4:20 am

Post subject: Building Amonkhet as a block deck
AgePosted: 2017-May-13 7:09 pm 

Hey guys, after doing some prereleases, some drafts, buying some boxes, and just generally cracking and playing a lot of Amonkhet, I'm actually pretty excited about the set.

I was able to pull almost all the Embalm creatures, so I ended up putting together a Temmet Amonkhet block deck. Every card but the lands (non and basic) are from Amonkhet.

This got me thinking, who is the strongest Amonkhet commander if you only used the cards from Amonkhet?

The power level of my Temmet deck is easily as low as 2 or 3. Even when I get the cards in the mail that I didn't get from my packs, it won't be strong at all. It's definitely super casual, and would probably have a 30-40% win rate against preconstructed commander decks (depending on the deck of course).

What about Samut, or Hapatra, or even Neheb? Or any of the 5 gods?

If you had to build a deck using all Amonkhet cards, which commander do you think would excel the most?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Building Amonkhet as a block deck
AgePosted: 2017-May-15 1:08 pm 

I'm not super familiar with the set, but I like the look of Oketra the Pure and. Hapatra Vizier of poisons.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Building Amonkhet as a block deck
AgePosted: 2017-May-18 10:23 am 

Restricting to simply Amonkhet, Samut would give you the largest pool of usable cards (three colors), and doublestrike + pump spells/anthem effects/equipment = 21 is always an option for and endgame. You'd get to play the good exert creatures (you're in the three colors most likely to have them) and likely the mediocre ones to fill space, (which still play well with Samut's untap ability).

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile