Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:14 am

Post subject: Braids question
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-15 8:20 am 

If I do a mono-color deck, I figure mono-blue would be a hoot with Braids, Conjurer Adept. The thought goes that I can play my share of big creatures with her, defend myself with bounce, counters and stealing, and make liberal use of polymorph abilities and combat tricks as well. While some colorless eldrazi might wander in for colorless destruction without the eldrazi lords, there are so many fun blue bigguns like Lorthos, Stormtide Leviathan, and the like that it will remain largely big blue. Any recommendations for what else I should consider with a Commander like blue Braids?

I seek to embrace the chaos, steering it away from me without resorting to prison/stax junk or a straight up group hug deck. What's everyone's take on this? Thank you.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Braids question
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-15 9:56 am 

Way back in Time Spiral block I had a really bad standard deck built around Blue Braids. Paradox Haze to break symmetry, Tidespout Tyrant to undo most of the bad things my opponents would do, that sort of thing. Stuff like Sower of Temptation and Gilded Drake to profit off the opponent's greed is also an idea. Or just Phyrexian Ingester and Duplicant. Or Clones.

At the risk of going a bit too huggy, at least if Braids is putting it onto the battlefield during your upkeep, you get first use out of Howling Mine/Font of Mythos type cards.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-23 5:22 am 

I found Leyline of Anticipation and Vedalken Orrery were pretty clutch. They let me drop fatties mid-combat to wreck up the place, and let me be the first one to benefit from Braids's trigger by flashing her in right before my turn.

Other than that, make sure you have sufficient ramp and draw. Braids has a tendency to die because she forces people to wrath away all of the horrible fatties, so you want to make sure that you're staying juiced up and that you have enough mana to cast her repeatedly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-25 4:51 am 

Phasing. She can't help others if she's phased out. Vanishing, Teferi's Veil, etc. Old-school, retired keyword FTW...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile