Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 5:34 pm

Post subject: Sidisi, Undead Visier
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-04 2:39 am 

I was tickled the other day at the idea of a Sidisi, Undead Vizier deck with Corpse Dance to repeatedly find whatever fun things we could possibly want from a Mono-B deck. Then I went to build it and found it was just the top two steps of a ever downwards-spiralling staircase leading to an insidious nest of combo insanity.

Excluding all possible combo suites, I built a zombie list and searched for the same 3-4 zombies each time. I could exclude those zombies from the deck and be required to search for something else, but it would still devolve into a serarch for the best 3-4 remaining zombies. The same goes for a control list; which I built but didn't play because I could list the first 5 cards I'd invariably tutor for. That's kinda boring. Not bad by any means, just not what I wanted.

I understand that this is the nature of a tutor commander (more now than 7 days ago): you always get the next step in the escalation, with only very occasional stop-offs for utility things like missing lands or board-wipes.

I'm going to rebuild the deck. So here's the question: Do I accept the destiny of Sidisi to be the worst kind of pseudo-Zur clone and embrace the most powerful cards black can give me? Or do I fill my deck with the fun and funky and see what happens?

Ideas on a postcard. Thanks!

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sidisi, Undead Visier
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-04 4:49 am 

I don't think there's any way you can make your commander a "Demonic Tutor w/ Buyback" and not have it do those things, so you might as well embrace it, I guess. But, I got to say, the Corpse Dance + Sidisi interaction is pretty damn cool. Props for that.

Personally I would still avoid combos partly because I just don't do them, but also because having a repeatable tutor in the command zone should make them far to easy to assemble. But I guess it's really more of a judgement call about the power level and tolerance of your group.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-04 10:04 pm 

On main point: I would say try both kinds of fun, and see which appeals more to you as well as getting input from your local group. You may surprise yourself and end up going in a third direction, even.

Slight shift from main point of topic: sometimes I'm not clear on intent of combos, so let me be clear: You are planning to use Corpse Dance to bring Sidisi, Undead Vizier back from the grave after you have it exploit itself, for massive tutoring, utilizing the command zone to get around the exiling drawback of Corpse Dance? If that's so, and you want a little more degeneracy for part of the experiment, Conjurer's Closet can provide just a little more 'oomph' if you have extra bodies out and require speedier tutoring.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 3:45 pm 

ChazA4 wrote:
You are planning to use Corpse Dance to bring Sidisi, Undead Vizier back from the grave after you have it exploit itself, for massive tutoring, utilizing the command zone to get around the exiling drawback of Corpse Dance?

Actually it's a little bit dumber than that. Corpse Dance doesn't exile the creature it brings back unless that creature is still on the battlefield at the end step. Since Sidisi will be exploiting herself, she'll never get exiled by corpse dance. It's literally "Tutor every turn forever".

Frankly this is the kind of deck that might be fun once or twice, and then just dismantle it. It's probably not tier 1 powerful, so it probably doesn't hold up in a high-power cutthroat meta, but by its nature it's not really suited to a more casual group either. I suggest doing it once and then forgetting about it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 6:43 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
ChazA4 wrote:
You are planning to use Corpse Dance to bring Sidisi, Undead Vizier back from the grave after you have it exploit itself, for massive tutoring, utilizing the command zone to get around the exiling drawback of Corpse Dance?

Actually it's a little bit dumber than that. Corpse Dance doesn't exile the creature it brings back unless that creature is still on the battlefield at the end step. Since Sidisi will be exploiting herself, she'll never get exiled by corpse dance. It's literally "Tutor every turn forever".

Frankly this is the kind of deck that might be fun once or twice, and then just dismantle it. It's probably not tier 1 powerful, so it probably doesn't hold up in a high-power cutthroat meta, but by its nature it's not really suited to a more casual group either. I suggest doing it once and then forgetting about it.

Ok, so I've dont it once in the new control version and got hated on pretty hard. A very interesting game where I had multiple turns of hoping I didn't die while I got some mana together to both tutor & play a spell in the same turn. The tutor targets are pretty much in order: Corpse Dance, Urborg, Coffers, removal, removal, removal, threat and then play the game. I can see how that would be boring if it was my only deck and it may still just hang about a while as my MBC deck of choice (I kinda liked the card choices for Kotophed).

I can also see how competitive players run it. Essentially the tutor chain is Buried Alive into Triskelion/Phyrexian Devourer/Necrotic Ooze & reanimate the Ooze to win. Really not my cup of tea at all so I'll be sticking to a goodstuff control build for now and reverting to Kotophed if I get bored.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile