Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 8:38 am

Post subject: Discard for Geth
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 4:55 am 

Been playing Geth for a while now, and I quite like the deck, but I've recently been itching to add a discard package. I want multiplayer-friendly discard, so no nuking one person's hand with Mind Twist while leaving others unscathed. I'm going more for Unnerve and those of it's ilk, that hit everyone (or everyone but me, preferably!).

So far I've got on the list for consideration:

Dark Deal
Syphon Mind
Unnerve
Bottomless Pit (Maybe, tends to annoy people)
Liliana of the Veil (or, Lili Heretical Healer, not sure which, but not both)
Liliana's Specter
Cunning Lethemancer (maybe, as he makes me discard too)

Any other ideas along these lines I may be overlooking or forgetting?

(Oh, and I already ruled out Sadistic Hypnotist - my current list just doesn't have the sac fodder to support him well, plus he's got a bit of a reputation in my group.)

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Discard for Geth
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 5:05 am 

Words of Waste + Geth's Grimoire. On-theme and pretty damn powerful.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 5:07 am 

Despise, Thoughtseize, and Appetite for Brains seem playable enough to you? Just a 1-for-1 but you get to pick what you want probably most of the time.

edit: wow, had no idea Appetite for Brains made you exile. oops

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 5:31 am 

Banshee of the Dread Choir

Capital Punishment seems saucy in Geth, you get cards in the yard no matter what.

Myojin of Night's Reach?

Scythe Specter

Tasigur's Cruelty

Thoughtrender Lamia if you have enough enchantments.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 6:48 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Words of Waste + Geth's Grimoire. On-theme and pretty damn powerful.

SON OF A... I mean goddamn I am losing my touch. I'm going to delete my blog and sell my cards. The fact that I had to be told about THAT little combo when A) I came across that very interaction completely independent of any internet help way back in the day, and B) it has my commander's fucking NAME on one of the cards, makes me want to hang it all up and retire.

Well, thanks Sid. You have ruined my day.

... In all seriousness that is a PERFECT answer to my question and I do thank you.

Sovarius wrote:
Despise, Thoughtseize, and Appetite for Brains seem playable enough to you? Just a 1-for-1 but you get to pick what you want probably most of the time.
Yeah, I really want to avoid anything that targets one player, because my group can easily get butthurt if they feel singled out or picked on. Oddly they totally get when you use spot removal to kill just their big threat, or value engine, or whatever, but making JUST one person discard cards tends to go badly in my group. :|

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Banshee of the Dread Choir

Capital Punishment seems saucy in Geth, you get cards in the yard no matter what.

Myojin of Night's Reach?

Scythe Specter

Tasigur's Cruelty

Thoughtrender Lamia if you have enough enchantments.

Banshee - functionally on point, but probably too weak. Put it in the "maybe" pile.
Capital Punishment - Been looking for a home for this one, actually - have actually put it in a couple of decks, then remembered there was something even better I was going to add and cut it before I could even play a game. This is going in the "almost certainly" pile.
Myojin - functionally on point, but probably too strong (or at least too likely to cause angst). Putting it in the "maybe, if I feel like being just a little bit of a dick.
Scythe Specter - Putting this one in the "HELLS YEAH" pile. One of the few non-Legends from the original Commander decks I actually like. It so rarely lives up to it's potential, but I like it all the same. I'll totally jam it until it disappoints me all over again... or maybe this will finally be it's time to shine!
Tasigur's Cruelty - This one is a big "maybe" in that I'm just not too sure how reliably I can Delve in my current list. More importantly I'm not sure how often I have cards in my 'yard I wouldn't mind exiling. I mainly play out of opponent's 'yards but I have a ton of recursion for my own as well... I'll just have to pay attention while playing and see how quickly on average I fill up my GY with random stuff I can exile painlessly.
Lamia - I do not have enough enchantments. I'm struggling to think of any in my list beyond Arena. That might actually be it, though I'm probably forgetting at least one other. Had Erebos, but cut him recently.

All in all thanks for the suggestions. I think I already have enough to provide the amount of discard I was looking for. In short, I should be able to squeeze in JUST enough to make Geth's Grimoire viable, but not make discard a huge theme.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 7:00 am 

Mind Raker could be tech as well. Put exiled bombs back into the yard to reanimate with a Geth?

Hmm I might turn my Lazav deck into the Mimeoplasm...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 7:12 am 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Mind Raker could be tech as well. Put exiled bombs back into the yard to reanimate with a Geth?
Hmm, seems a bit too iffy for Geth but I might just have another use for that, so I'll make a note of it just the same...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 7:18 am 

Cabal Conditioning is easily the most powerful multiplayer discard spell. With just Geth, that's making each player discard 6. Usually good enough to leave everyone but you hellbent. (You can also probably get 200 of them for the price of one Lili otV)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 7:21 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Cabal Conditioning is easily the most powerful multiplayer discard spell. With just Geth, that's making each player discard 6. Usually good enough to leave everyone but you hellbent. (You can also probably get 200 of them for the price of one Lili otV)
Oh snap! Yeah, that's a good 'un for sure! I don't think I own one, but I'll dig through my binders and see... as you say it's not expensive to aqcuire, should I fail to turn up a copy in my search. (And I just mentioned LotV since I am happen to already have a few lying around, but since I don't play Modern I don't get to use 'em.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 10:06 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
SON OF A... I mean goddamn I am losing my touch. I'm going to delete my blog and sell my cards. The fact that I had to be told about THAT little combo when A) I came across that very interaction completely independent of any internet help way back in the day, and B) it has my commander's fucking NAME on one of the cards, makes me want to hang it all up and retire.

Well, thanks Sid. You have ruined my day.

... In all seriousness that is a PERFECT answer to my question and I do thank you.

You're very welcome. Glad to help. :wink:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-19 2:28 pm 

I'm guessing you're tracking the discard trigger support (i.e. Waste Not, Megrim, etc)

What about things like Oppression, Painful Quandary?

thaumaturge wrote:
Scythe Specter - Putting this one in the "HELLS YEAH" pile. One of the few non-Legends from the original Commander decks I actually like. It so rarely lives up to it's potential, but I like it all the same. I'll totally jam it until it disappoints me all over again... or maybe this will finally be it's time to shine!

Blade of Selves?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-20 1:29 am 

Treamayne wrote:
LOL, nice! I'd have to look through my deck to see how many creatures this would actually work with... but if I have a lot besides this and Sepulchral Primordial, you may just be onto something!

Offline Profile