Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:36 am

Post subject: Every Planeswalker (thought exercise/ maybe deck)
AgePosted: 2016-Jul-01 4:49 pm 

So, what if we really made a superfriends deck with every planeswalker in it? While there are currently over 70 planeswalkers there are only around 40 different named planeswalkers.

For this exercise we need to chose between each iteration of planeswalker when there are multiple options to chose from. no planeswalker can be left out.

Ajani
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes- probably my top vote, being able to cycle through for more planeswalkers is good. Also even though the deck will rely on creature tokens to get damage through the +1/+1 counters can prove reliable.

Chandra
Chandra, Flamecaller- more for lack of a better option than for the cards sake. 6 damage on a clear board can help close the gap for a late game win. Help with drawing a card/cycling excess land once in topdeck mode is ok. Not really liking the other options.

Elspeth
Elspeth, Sun's Champion- There are 2 options I like. I think this one is better as it gives 3 tokens instead of one and can clear out large creatures when needed.

Garruk
Garruk, Apex Predator- It comes down to do I want a ramp spell that is a good finisher (if I can amass tokens) or do I want a guy who will just take over the game if I can get it into play?

Gideon
Gideon Jura- The original still feels like the best in my opinion. Good control card with a hidden 6/6 body.

Jace
Jace Beleren- Honestly all Jace is good for is draw and this guy does it in the most unassuming way.

Kiora
Kiora, the Crashing Wave- Not sure how the + ability is, but the -1 is relevant and the -5 is something I can use to close out games.

Liliana
Liliana Vess- There were a few options, but this one felt the best. Dark realms could fix mana with dual/shock lands, but I don't need too much mana (esp if I have 4+ already). of the Veil is pretty agressive, but I don't want to discard anything, so vess it is. If I can hit that ultimate late it could finish the game quickly.

Nahiri
Nahiri, the Harbinger- Filter a card is fine, some removal. Mostly it's just better than the other option.

Nissa
Nissa, Worldwaker- Not really sure about this one. Untapping forests could be useful. Thinking about flip Nissa too for color fixing. The ult on this one seems really strong if she can get there.

Nixilis
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath- of the two options this one just pulls ahead. the demon seems like something the deck is going to need more than more control.

Sarkhan
Sarkhan Unbroken- Even though his ult is useless to us his other two abilities are pretty strong. I do like the other options as well though.

Sorin
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad- Not going to play markov because it's way to unfriendly. Grim nemesis would be really strong, but seems it may draw more ire than I want it to. Lord of innistrad makes a dude as his + ability instead of - ability. So, I chose him.

Tezzeret
Tezzeret the Seeker- While Im not a huge fan of library search, the other Tez doesn't do much for the deck.

What do you all think of these choices?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Every Planeswalker (thought exercise/ maybe deck)
AgePosted: 2016-Jul-01 6:10 pm 

Ajani - Totally agree

Chandra - Agree since you are trying to do damage with creature tokens
-However maybe Chandra Nalar warrants consideration. 2 direct damage and potential to wipe an opponent's board?

Elspeth - Is a board wipe not better? Elspeth Tirel however if you are only using walkers greater token generation ability is definitely paramount.

Garruk - Good call

Gideon - A hidden 6/6 is all well and good, but I think indestructible is more useful than only being protected from damage. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar gets you tokens, and Gideon, Champion of Justice can easily be a much bigger body and function and a boardwipe.

Jace - as long as you are just going to use it for draw great, however if you can get Jace, Unraveller of Secrets' ult to go off ... well damn, might draw some hate though, plus it's a scry draw so you could "fix" your hand.

Kiora - Agreed.

Liliana - Also agreed. I like Vess.

Nissa - Toss up ... Worldwaker is good, but puts your lands in danger. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar gets you unassuming little tokens ... which if you can get Apex Predator to go off ... are suddenly very scary.

Sarkhan - I'd be tempted to run [card]Sarkhan Vol[card] - ult is splashy, +1 helps tokens already on the field ... and you can get a spare creature to throw at someone. I'd say it's a toss up between Vol and Unbroken

Sorin - Fair enough ... and you can get more dudes if ult goes off.

Tezzeret - Nuff said.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-02 1:26 am 

I have a 5c super friends deck, and one of the big challenges is just keeping 'walkers on the board. People love to chip shot them, and even a hit from something like Solemn Simulacrum will be a serious hit that is at least equivalent to activating a minus ability.

With that in mind:
Ajani - MoH is clearly the best. High loyalty, both + abilities are good, ulting is not an awful thing.

Chandra - Flamecaller, Pyromaster, or Nalaar would be my picks. Probably Pyromaster because card advantage is hard to get when people can 0-for-1 you often enough.

Elspeth - Sun's Champion plays better defense than Tirel. Easy pick, IMO, but both are worthwhile if you are ok with running multiples of the same 'walker.

Garruk - Apex Predator is a necessary haymaker. 3/3 deathtouch beasts also deal with the specific difficulties of making guys that can hold off utility dorks or trade with fatties.

Gideon - Jura, hands down. Soaking a full hit from the opponent to your left to protect your other 'walkers and opening up a road for other people to send their attacks of opportunity.

Jace - Belern is one of the few playable 3-mana PWs. This is important.

Kiora - Crashing Wave fit this deck, Master of Depths doesn't.

Liliana - Vess is perfectly acceptable, but I'd lean toward Liliana of the Veil so you get to the point where you can play two 'walkers in the same turn sooner.

Nahiri - Harbinger. Lithomancer doesn't justify her mana cost.

Nissa - I'd actually go with Vastwood Seer if flip walkers are fair game. Being able to cast her for value, then use her to chump block for another PW in the future is great.

Nixilis - Either is pretty good. Black Oath you can basically think of as a 5/5 demon that ETB gives you a 1-loyalty PW, but Reignited is a better PW on his own.

Sarkhan - Unbroken or the Mad. Card advantage is great, and dragons are sizable, unlike most of the tokens you'll make.

Sorin - Lord of Innistrad is good; plus abilities that build your board or play defense are critical to the deck's functioning. Grim Nemesis is good enough to run, but only if you're doubling up on dudes.

Tezzeret - Seeker can instantly -4 for Nevinyrral's Disk or -3 for Ensnaring Bridge. Defending PWs is hard, so this is an easy pick.

Last edited by JJackson on 2016-Aug-16 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-16 3:04 pm 

Welp, if you are making a superfriends deck, you may want to consider the Bicolor planeswalkers like Vraska and Xenagos, as well ad Dack Fayden.

One issue you may run into is Manascrew because in my former meta with Evil Greg, his five color Superfriends had to run a lot of artifact mana ramp like the signets and sol ring in order to effectively get everything out on the field or else he'd get fracked very quickly.

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-16 7:58 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
Welp, if you are making a superfriends deck, you may want to consider the Bicolor planeswalkers like Vraska and Xenagos, as well ad Dack Fayden.

Did you read the posts? He is using one of *every* Planeswalker. The above posts were to help decide which version for those Planeswalkers with more than one distinct iteration. There's only one version of Dack and Xenagos (so far).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-17 12:42 am 

Treamayne wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

Did you read the posts? He is using one of *every* Planeswalker. The above posts were to help decide which version for those Planeswalkers with more than one distinct iteration. There's only one version of Dack and Xenagos (so far).

I'm not sure if he can read. Well, more than a couple words.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-17 1:36 am 

Treamayne wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

You didn't mention them in your original post

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-17 2:13 am 

RaiRai wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

It's in literally the first sentence.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-17 1:24 pm 

RaiRai wrote:

And it's not my post...

Note: Jelik, not Treamayne:

Jelik wrote:
So, what if we really made a superfriends deck with every planeswalker in it? While there are currently over 70 planeswalkers there are only around 40 different named planeswalkers.

For this exercise we need to chose between each iteration of planeswalker when there are multiple options to chose from. no planeswalker can be left out.

Reading, it's not just for school anymore...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-17 4:05 pm 

Bummer that you have to play Domri Rade in this deck. Is it . . . is it actually worth running all the Origins versions of the planeswalkers, just to up your creature count in the deck? No, definitely not. But it's tempting to try to make him at least somewhat useful.

Nobody else casts even a single vote for Ajani Steadfast? That -2 ability? Well, that's my vote anyway.

Offline Profile