Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:54 pm

Post subject: Re: Help me pick a morph commander/colors
AgePosted: 2016-Jul-05 8:13 am 

Bruticus wrote:
AutoXCivic wrote:
There are some cool UG cards that add neat effects to things with +1/+1 counters.
Academy Elite - Good use for the +1/+1 counters Ezuri generates
Battlefront Krushok - Keep more beasties at bay
Crowned Ceratok - Smash!
Longshot Squad - Bad flappy things ...
Sapphire Drake - I haz all the flappy things
Unity of Purpose - Good utility
Bred for the Hunt - If you wanna go smashy
Plaxcaster Frogling - Moar evasion
I also love me some +1/+1 counters.

Personally I would rather just have the cards that give these abilities globally rather than to just +1/+1 counter creatures. Compare those cards to:
Familiar ground
Primal rage and brawn
Spidersilk armor
Wonder and levitation
Bident of thassa

Keep in mind that Ezuri, claw of progress only places counters on one creature at a time. So going wide with counters may not be the most strategic. It seems that morphing a few creatures and making them into big fatties then protecting them would be the thing to do. A few cards I would consider:

Contagion clasp Proliferate also hits your experience counters
Thrummingbird
Viral drake
Inexorable tide doubles experience gained
Sakashima the impostor doubles experience gained
Contagion engine
Strionic resonator works for getting another experience counter or doubles counters on creature
Solidarity of heroes
Evolution vat
Hardened scales
Doubling season
Vorel of the hull clade
Sage of hours
Gilder bairn
Etched oracle
hangarback walker lots of experience counters
Mindless automaton
Savor the moment (extra general trigger)

I agree that global effects are more ... effective. However I figured if +1/+1 counters was going to be a subtheme then cards that interact with them would be good inclusions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-07 6:22 am 

If you want to go wide with +1/+1 counters, run Forgotten Ancient. Put the counters on him and then during your next upkeep distribute them as you see fit.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-07 6:42 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
If you want to go wide with +1/+1 counters, run Forgotten Ancient. Put the counters on him and then during your next upkeep distribute them as you see fit.

This. Running hardened scales makes him even funnier.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-05 10:01 pm 

I've actually seen and played against an Ezuri 2.0 morph deck and that thing can seriously go die in a fire. Not so much because of the morphs, it's really because I'm developing a flaming hatred for that stinking elf. I'm sorry, but that thing is not fun for me. It accumulates irremovable experience at an alarming rate throughout the whole game and makes things that care about the counters unbearably broken and you can't really do much against it except gang up on the player and make the game miserable FOR THEM. When the game inevitably becomes "I don't care what creature I drop, all of them can one-shot you", there's no other option, I feel. If you've never played against him, I'm not exaggerating—most games the guy would easily get to 15 experience and up. Since Ezuri grants counters at the beginning of combat, it's perfectly possible to, from an empty board, cast Ezuri, cast Mindless Automaton, put an inhuman number of +1/+1 counters on it, profit. If all your answers are sorcery-speed, tough luck.

crokaycete wrote:
I just want to throw a hat in the ring for Rakdos, Lord of Riots.

He also makes Morphs free in the same way as Animar, but (at least for me) paints a MUCH smaller target on the player.
I'd just like to point out that if even RAKDOS looks tame compared to Animar, it's really telling something about how broken Soul of Elements is. The thing is, I think Animar may have been fine if it was, let's say, Naya-colored. Blue is really the thing that sends him flying over the edge, I feel.

On topic of insane options, I'd like to mention that there is one possible general who has morph herself: Akroma, Angel of Fury :D Playing monored morph is of course silly, but hey, it can be done for funsies at least.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2016-Aug-06 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-06 1:28 pm 

Antis wrote:
I've actually seen and played against an Ezuri 2.0 morph deck and that thing can seriously go die in a fire.

I'm curious: do I have a similar list to what you've seen? I haven't had anyone that opposed the deck, but I don't think I have a necessary mean deck--still mostly un-tuned. It's strong, but is pretty vulnerable to a couple board wipes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-06 7:49 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Antis wrote:
I've actually seen and played against an Ezuri 2.0 morph deck and that thing can seriously go die in a fire.

I'm curious: do I have a similar list to what you've seen? I haven't had anyone that opposed the deck, but I don't think I have a necessary mean deck--still mostly un-tuned. It's strong, but is pretty vulnerable to a couple board wipes.
I honestly didn't know until now :D

As I said, I dislike the general, not the 99. I mean sure, UG goodstuff is obnoxious as it gets, but I think I know you well enough not to assume you'd do that ;)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile