Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:33 am

Post subject: Life gain, lands, and ....
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-13 3:42 am 

So I saw this cute little synergy in another thread:

Faith's Reward + Zuran Orb + Titania, Protector of Argoth

I thought that looked like a fun inclusion to something that I haven't done yet so ... planning stages for a life gain deck are a go.

Obviously because of the above combo ... W/G are in. Choosing a commander is proving interesting though.

First I thought about adding Red to the mix ... so that I could include Omnath, Locus of Rage to the mix. But I didn't see any commanders that I was particularly drawn to, or that I'm not using already.

I have a few ideas for commanders:

Sticking with G/W
Karametra, God of Harvests gets me land to fuel ... something ... perhaps only useful for fueling the combo above. So maybe not the best choice, but may go in the 99.

Adding black seems like a good idea since it gives me access to things that allow me to use life as a resource, Vault of the Archangel and other nifty tricks. I thought Doran, the Seige Tower might be a good choice for this one. Never really considered using him for anything, and not sure he facilitates the life gain all that much. But that would make it kind of a fun challenge.

I also thought about using Blue as the third color as it would let me use Treva, the Renewer who is a pretty obvious life gain commander, but do I want to be that blatent?

What other fun stuff can I do with lands and life gain, other than certain staple effects? Any other suggestions for a fearless leader?

Not sure where this is going ... just rolling the boulder down the hill to see which direction it bounces at this point.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Life gain, lands, and ....
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-13 7:59 am 

Planar Birth would be a good card for this deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-13 10:59 am 

For generals, here are some you might consider:

Land Matters:
Karametra, God of Harvests -Already Considered, obvious ramp general
Hazezon Tamar - Cares about getting more lands, creates a token swarm and has some nifty combat tricks (Shelds of Velis vel on an opponent's board if they try killing Hazezon, for example)

Lifegain:
Selvala, Explorer Returned - political card draw to find more land, gains life in the process
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice - Gains life and helps build a fattie token swarm
Treva, the Renewer - gains life and adding U gives access to nifty moonfolk options (e.g.. Patron of the Moon, Uyo, Silent Prophet) for landfall and other effects.

Tangential:
Captain Sisay - Pack in the Legendary Lands and you have Ramp as well as the normal Legendary Fattie Search. Be careful on what you include, though. Tutor Generals are easy to overbalance.
Doran, the Siege Tower - Can go Wall/Defender theme, maybe animate lands for offense
Ghave, Guru of Spores - Life and limb makes Saprolings fit the land theme, and give easy Zuran Orb targets when you don't have Faith's Reward.
Rith, the Awakener - Another Saproling general, with access to Red this time.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-14 1:44 am 

Hmmm. I had forgotten about Life and Limb and I have a Rith, the Awakener lying around. Perhaps I'll have to pick up a Hazezon Tamar too. Those both sound have potential ... now that I think about it a bit more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-14 3:29 am 

I like the blue option the best - add Meloku the Clouded Mirror, Xenograft (on saproling), and Life and Limb for a near endless supply of "saprolings" which are also forests. Then toss in Timber Protector. Then Clone him.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-14 6:33 am 

I'm starting to like the blue option more as well. It's not a color I use often ... which makes it a little more fun for me to try to build. I think the red option would turn into sac and drop stuff to cause damage ... via land sac outlets to power Titania, Protector of Argoth, which would bring creatures in and trigger Warstorm Surge, the somehow make all of those elementals die so Angry Omnath finishes everything else off ... or something along those lines.

Looks like Treva is going to be heading this one. What's more fun than a big scary dragon?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-14 5:05 pm 

If you're are looking to gain life while shooting arrows at knees, I recommend playing Mardu/Nomad colors (B/W/R) because they tend to be the strongest despite lacking a number of commanding creatures, though possessing agruably the most fiercest. Exquisite Blood is a key factor card for its ability to gain life from opponents lose life. And combined BW extort abilities in multiplayer, along with Blood Aritist and seeker its down right evil, not including a number of red enchantments such as impact tremors combined with call to bloodlines.

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 1:27 am 

RaiRai wrote:
If you're are looking to gain life while shooting arrows at knees, I recommend playing Mardu/Nomad colors (B/W/R) because they tend to be the strongest despite lacking a number of commanding creatures, though possessing agruably the most fiercest. Exquisite Blood is a key factor card for its ability to gain life from opponents lose life. And combined BW extort abilities in multiplayer, along with Blood Aritist and seeker its down right evil, not including a number of red enchantments such as impact tremors combined with call to bloodlines.

Exquisite blood has always been a glorified combo piece and a bright flashing "attack me first" when not used to combo... Terrible card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 6:27 am 

AutoXCivic wrote:
Hmmm. I had forgotten about Life and Limb and I have a Rith, the Awakener lying around. Perhaps I'll have to pick up a Hazezon Tamar too. Those both sound have potential ... now that I think about it a bit more.

Be warned: Life and Limb has some very janky rules interactions that can lead to shenanigans, an utterly incomprehensible boardstate, or unintentional draws. Use responsibly.

Aside from that disclaimer, don't forget Second Sunrise for another copy of Faith's Reward (the symmetry probably won't matter in this case). Also if you wind up going WBG, you get access to the Gitrog Monster, which works well with the Zuran sweep.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 8:57 am 

Shenanigans like Sporemound? That could get out of hand really fast.

Also things like Aether Mutation suddenly give me landfall triggers ... yes?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 9:13 am 

AutoXCivic wrote:
Shenanigans like Sporemound? That could get out of hand really fast.

Also things like Aether Mutation suddenly give me landfall triggers ... yes?

Yes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 9:39 am 

I'm seeing there's not much to do with the extra life in these colors.

Maybe Inner Sanctum, Righteous Aura, ooo Zur's Weirding not a whole lot of uses for life as a resource. Guess it can serve as a pillow fort ... sorta.

This is proving to be interesting to try to nail down a theme beyond life gain/landfall. Guess I don't need much more than that.

Found another interesting/evil combo while going through cards Life and Limb + Sporemound + Hedron Crab

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 12:20 pm 

AutoXCivic wrote:
Found another interesting/evil combo while going through cards Life and Limb + Sporemound + Hedron Crab

You need a way to get rid of either Sporemound or Life and Limb mid-combo or that will just draw the game. Sporemound isn't a may.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-15 2:07 pm 

JJackson wrote:
AutoXCivic wrote:

You need a way to get rid of either Sporemound or Life and Limb mid-combo or that will just draw the game. Sporemound isn't a may.

Swap the crab for Impact Tremors and you got it. Gets around hexproofed/shrouded players too.

Life and Limb has the bad habit of doing this stupid game-drawing stuff by accident though, so make sure you know what can and could happen with it before you decide to include it.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 1:39 am 

The janky shenanigans rear their head. This is could get interesting.

Swapping out blue for red is still on the table. I still like the idea of including Angry Omnath.

I have the feeling that a Rith (general I would use if swapping in red) deck would turn into a token deck though and I kind of have one with Ghave already.

Offline Profile