Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 12:37 pm

Post subject: Please help - BW Cleric Tribal Lifegames
AgePosted: 2016-May-22 7:30 pm 

Hello everyone, longtime reader/first time poster.

I've been on a good run with my brewing for a while but I'm presently stuck on a deck that is proving underwhelming. This is finest assemble of edh minds I've come across on the net so hopefully someone can help. I'd love to get some good feedback that can either make the deck work or put the idea to rest before I spend too much on it.

My vision is B/W Clerics tribal control, based on the interaction between lifegain effects and black pay-life-for-profit cards. The core aspects of the deck are: (1) clerics tribal (at least 20+ of the pious bastards); (2) a lifegain focused control that draws through black and finishes a la exsanguinate; and (3) the deck should be good. By good, I mean good enough to take on anything from a finely tuned Zurgo voltron to a surprise-big-stuff Joira or (ideally) even one of the nastier new experience-counter commanders.

I have wanted to build a BW clerics deck since Onslaught, and when I saw the new Aylie, I thought that I had finally found the perfect commander to helm the deck. I suggested the idea to a very talented friend I brew with. What has happened instead is a divergence of visions between us, and I have had the excitement for clerics repeatedly punched out of me by a BW good-stuff Aylie grave pact deck abusing things like Chittering Rat, Runescar/Sidisi and the new 6mana reanimate they just printed.

I try to keep my decks to 80%, and don't like abusing infinite loops of too many tutors, but grave pact Aylie tore a new one to some rather good Joira, Marrow-Gnawer, Sigarda and Blind Seer decks. No-one at the table saw it coming and has been grasping at Bojuka Bogs and Relics of Progenitus since.

Here is my current decklist I have been toying with - http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wbedhayli20/

Stuff I have seen online uses 40+ clerics, but since I’ve never had to use more than 30 creatures to power goblins or rats, I’m hesitant to go that deep on creatures. My vision is of a slow to build control shell that uses clerics like sandbag enchantments, focusing on gaining life to draw and build a board presence, to then finish people off a’ la Exsangionate or Debt to the Deathless.

What does everyone think? Can we make clerics busted or should I just move on?

What I'm seeing with clerics is a tribe whose unique tribal aspect is the fact that there is a cleric version for most good stax/sandbag enchantments. That is really cool, but they could very well not be a feasible EDH tribe. In a format where wraths rule you are better off running the enchantment version than the creature. The soul sisters are ok but pound for pound I think you are better going for cards that guarantee you more life. Similarly the old cleric toughness boosting and the damage redirection is meh. Essentially there are 10-15 good clerics but those aren't creatures that you really want to sacrifice. Hence Atreos could be a better general than Aylie.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Please help - BW Cleric Tribal Lifegames
AgePosted: 2016-May-23 12:46 am 

I've tried to do Clerics a number of times. I could never really make them click. What I found was Clerics lacked a wincon. I couldn't get enough Clerics out for a Suture Priest style win and could never get enough out for a cleric swarm. Doubtless One was never big enough for a big hit. Could never gain enough life for Sanguine Bond.

Karlov of the Ghost Council I think is the best leader for a Cleric tribal. He gets big fast and can voltron through for the win. Really the big downside for him is he's not a Cleric.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-23 4:26 pm 

Yeah, figuring out BW generas is a little weird. Karlov's not a cleric, but he works well feels better with clerics as sort of a disruptive-aggro-ish-white-weenie deck. Ayli's a cleric, but her abilities work better with big, meaty creatures to sacrifice, which for BW tends to push towards a reanimator deck.

If you're open to considering Karlov, there are a few good threads with him (this one by Spectrar Ghost, this one from thaumaturge, and this one from scatteredsun which he was apparently too modest to mention).

I haven't really seen an Ayli list that I really liked yet... my current BW deck is Daxos (which I'm not in love with either), so I might try to work one up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-23 9:20 pm 

I've had a lot of fun with Kharl. He works very well with Clerics' incremental life gain abilities, making a strong Voltron general. In addition, his second ability means he stays relevant in the mid-late game if things go south. My own effort has some issues with consistency; setting up the reanimation loops I'd hoped for just never seems to happen. I think I need to go broader with the repeatable reanimation effects. It's strong enough as is that I've not expended the effort to plug that hole.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-24 12:37 am 

lol, mine wasn't good enough and I quickly tore it apart for Ayli. I saw what it could have been though! Going the voltron route with Karlov would have made it fairly effective.

The other lists are far better than mine.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile