Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 10:24 am

Post subject: Pet Card interactions
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-01 12:08 pm 

What are some of your favorite pet card interactions? I say interactions rather than combo as combos instantly win the game (IMO) and an interactions is more of a cool play. What are some of your favorites or some off cool ones you don't run into often?

I'll start:

Concerted Effort + Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas- I've always liked Concerted Effort and it worked wonders in my solder deck lead by A&C, but Kalemne has taken it into her giant deck.

Whip of Erebos + Bladewing the Risen (commander only)- Whip almost didn't make the cut in my dragon reanimator deck. Then I realized that I could use it to reanimate Bladewing himself every time he dies giving me one cheap trigger of his ability.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pet Card interactions
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-02 5:43 am 

Alright I'll Bite...Good Post

Unwinding Clock, Clock of Omens and Staff of Nin + multiple artifacts. Unwinding Clock, Clock of Omens and Lux Cannon

Throw in Mycosynth Lattice and you got yourself a stew go'in!

Prodigal Sorcerer Creatures or Zhur-Taa Druid +Curiosity + Jeskai Ascendancy + To Arms! cards equals some fun shenanigans!

Throw in Gratuitous Violence and you got yourself some hurt go'in!

All the Best!

Your Friend,

-Jest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-02 6:24 am 

I've yet to pull this off, so far, but I dream of the day I get to Reins of Power into Synthetic Destiny.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-02 6:54 am 

I love the hot mess of rules interactions that Karametra, Panglacial Wurm, and Selvala bring to the table. The god and the wurm is already pretty cute because you can upgrade your late game Llanowar Elves into wurmbait, but Selvala introduces some fun hot nonsense.

When you search your library, technically you aren't reordering your cards. So Karametra and Selvala in play, cast any creature, look and see if you want to draw your top card (or the 2nd card down if Panglacial Wurm is on top). If you do, you propose casting Panglacial Wurm. It doesn't matter if you have enough mana or not, you get to move it to the stack (601.2a), some stuff happens, and you get around to the part where you can activate mana abilities (601.2g). Now you activate Selvala's parlay ability. You get to draw that top card!

Where it gets really weird is that if you don't have enough mana in your pool at that point (and it is worth noting that nothing is forcing you to activate any other mana abilities so you probably don't), you say "oops, cannot pay" and rewind all the rewindable actions (717.1). Since the parlay revealed cards from libraries, you can't rewind that so you end up with some {G} floating, a card in hand, and you continue with your search.

Last edited by JJackson on 2016-Mar-03 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-02 8:49 pm 

JJackson wrote:
I love the hot mess of rules interactions that Karametra, God of Harvests, Panglacial Wurm, and Selvala bring to the table.

FTFY

I enjoy the synergy (interaction) of Cream of the Crop and Lurking Predators.

I also like Hecatomb and Death Pits of Rath.

But my favorite is probably Thousand-year Elixir and Ovinomancer.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-03 12:40 am 

Treamayne wrote:
FTFY

Thanks, edited. Though I prefer the ",[/c]" fix to putting an appositive phrase in a list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-03 1:37 am 

Eureka and Uyo, Silent Prophet gets me all giddy. Infinite Eureka's! That's probably the biggest mess my Edric group hug deck can make of a game.
(Add Capsize or Reality Spasm for infinite mana if you must).

I like Deathrender for being able to set up loops that require no further mana investment, for example with Gravedigger and Entomber Exarch and some sac outlet. Also had a deck where I would go through some combination of Imperial Recruiter, Fierce Empath and/or Protean Hulk to just locate whatever I wanted and ultimately ending up with a Deadwood Treefolk to allow myself to keep going (Loaming Shaman could work too). Because I like to have some way of winning instantly there was a Triskelion in there.

In a non-combo way one of my favorite moves is to play the same Dust Elemental a few times with a Wrath on the stack.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-03 1:57 am 

pi wrote:
Eureka and Uyo, Silent Prophet gets me all giddy. Infinite Eureka's! That's probably the biggest mess my Edric group hug deck can make of a game. Add Capsize or Reality Spasm for infinite mana.

Temple of the False God will let you get infinite mana there, too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-03 8:08 pm 

As does any land that taps for 2 or more, as could be the result of Heartbeat of Spring for example. I just wanted to list a few examples that are in the deck.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-04 5:05 am 

I've been playing with Reality Spasm and Nivix Guildmage and Echo Mage. It seems a tad bit shallow, but I like that it makes an otherwise boring card (the spasm) kinda useful.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-04 1:24 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-05 1:03 pm 

Segrus wrote:

That one, too!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-05 4:39 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Segrus wrote:

That one, too!
Definitely! They all sort of interconnect in some really cool, exciting ways (at least to me; I know some people have no stomach or interest in mono-Green since most of them are carbon copies of each other in a very good stuff, boring way--I'd like to think mine is just different enough to get a pass).

Ezuri's Predation + Vigor in this deck is also really good (add in Essence of the Wild to that?!).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-06 6:02 pm 

I think all my decks live on pet interactions. They are the very essence of my decks. I will list just a couple.

I imprint artifact lands onto prototype portal more often than I should
I recently am enjoying ciphering onto manlands since they usually stick around longer than regular creatures stolen identity
Teferi's veil plus any act of treason effect, double points if that creature had an equipment or beneficial enchantment lol
Dreams of the dead plus white or black general or forget the cumulative cost on Karona/ assault suited creature
empty board with portcullis and crowding out peoples creatures with manlands in response to their creature being cast
Madblind mountain and top in mono red

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-08 8:43 pm 

Jelik wrote:
Concerted Effort + Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas- I've always liked Concerted Effort and it worked wonders in my solder deck lead by A&C, but Kalemne has taken it into her giant deck.

That wasn't on my radar. Pretty cool, actually.

Jest wrote:

I'm sad that my artifact deck doesn't have a lot of tap symbols in it, but I really want Unwinding Clock to make Phyrexian Splicer work.

pi wrote:
I like Deathrender for being able to set up loops that require no further mana investment, for example with Gravedigger and Entomber Exarch and some sac outlet.

The nice thing about Deathrender is that it's actually a pretty good card on its own. Just as Eternal Witness and Greenwarden of Murasa.

Segrus wrote:
Ezuri's Predation + Vigor in this deck is also really good (add in Essence of the Wild to that?!).

Wait... who made Vigor a $16 card?

As for my pet card interactions, I apologise that I have a weak spot for Survival of the Fittest plus Genesis. A little bit less goodstuffery: Karn plus Eldrazi Monument plus Guardian Beast. Add Disk for maximum douchebaggery.

This is more or less half a deck: Crypt Rats and Scythe of the Wretched (with Eldrazi Monument and Ogre Slumlord). Ogre Slumlord, Salvaging Station and Triangle of War.

Offline Profile